Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

10 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I eventually found the picture on Pinterest. The info given there says it's looking down Cambridge Street. Christ, I wish I'd found that before my eBay marathon. :D

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/541980136382813824

Well done on finding that, which confirms what we were thinking. 

The pinterest picture also shows the door on the left side of the school in better detail/ It also shows there is a sign that looks like it is on the 'lamp' post which seems to say ______ stop. Tram stop, coach stop, taxicab stop....?

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

I suppose the group are situated about where the current pavement on Lothian Road is. 

Text says-

Edinburgh at the turn of the century 

Street artists, Lothian Road, 1903.

Edinburgh City Libraries Postcard.....and I can't make out the rest. 

I eventually found the picture on Pinterest. The info given there says it's looking down Cambridge Street. Christ, I wish I'd found that before my eBay marathon. :D

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/541980136382813824

1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

Well done on finding that, which confirms what we were thinking. 

The pinterest picture also shows the door on the left side of the school in better detail/ It also shows there is a sign that looks like it is on the 'lamp' post which seems to say ______ stop. Tram stop, coach stop, taxicab stop....?

Absolutely brilliant!  Thanks very much.

Did we actually need further proof that JKB is the best fansite going?

Cheers to all who helped out here! :clap: 

1960's Edinburgh pictures strewn together noted Bank on corner of West Nicolson St, building the David Hume tower and Buccleuch Place into Windmill Lane.

014.jpg

Is there any sort of memorial or mention on the David Hume Tower about the construction worker who fell and died from his injuries

2 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Is there any sort of memorial or mention on the David Hume Tower about the construction worker who fell and died from his injuries

David Hume tower is only about 10-12 feet highl ? In the old Calton Hill cemetery?

15 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

David Hume tower is only about 10-12 feet highl ? In the old Calton Hill cemetery?

DHT is one of the multi storey monstrosities at Edinburgh Uni, George Square.

1 hour ago, Chester™ said:

Thanks for that, I was prepared to accept my error it was a long time ago, but I am pretty sure it was the first of the new buildings. I was pretty sure the guy I looked at had fallen a bit more than twelve feet.

On 18/07/2018 at 14:03, John Findlay said:

What do we take from this thread?

For me personally? That Edinburgh is a great city. It is a city with a history, a real proper history. Although I lived in the Portsmouth area for twenty six years. Edinburgh is and always will be hame. When I came hame on leave from the Navy for me there was no greater sight than walking up the North ramp out of Waverley station and looking across East Princes Street Gardens. Over the art galleries, across the mound and your eyes transfix on the castle. I've seen the Panthenon and the Acropolis in Athens. I've seen the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, the Golden roofed temple in Jerusalem.  The pyramids of Egypt and for me Edinburgh Castle is  as magnificent a structure as any of them. I am very proud to call this city my hame.

Excellent post.

I remember when I was a lad in the Royal High School on Calton Hill, the geography teacher was extolling the virtues of Edinburgh and said that you have to move away to really appreciate what a magnificent city it is.  He was so right.  

Like you, I've travelled a fair bit and seen many fine cities, but Edinburgh has a uniqueness that is quite breathtaking.  I'll always think of Edinburgh as "home", even though I've lived in Canada most of my life, and I'm proud to do so.

I was in a shop about two weeks ago, talking to the cashier about the weather or whatever, when the guy in the line behind me said to the cashier, "Talk nicely to this man; he's from Edinburgh."

I was amazed and said, "How do you know that?" He pointed to my shirt ... I was wearing a Hearts top ... and replied, "You're a Jambo."  Made my day. :biggrin:

9 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Oh that one, sorry forgot about that and the Duguld Stewart building, both easily forgettable.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Excellent post.

I remember when I was a lad in the Royal High School on Calton Hill, the geography teacher was extolling the virtues of Edinburgh and said that you have to move away to really appreciate what a magnificent city it is.  He was so right.  

Like you, I've travelled a fair bit and seen many fine cities, but Edinburgh has a uniqueness that is quite breathtaking.  I'll always think of Edinburgh as "home", even though I've lived in Canada most of my life, and I'm proud to do so.

I was in a shop about two weeks ago, talking to the cashier about the weather or whatever, when the guy in the line behind me said to the cashier, "Talk nicely to this man; he's from Edinburgh."

I was amazed and said, "How do you know that?" He pointed to my shirt ... I was wearing a Hearts top ... and replied, "You're a Jambo."  Made my day. :biggrin:

Great post.??

3fingersreid
5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Excellent post.

Your geography teacher is bang on , manys a time after dropping off my passengers I've enjoyed the many different views over Edinburgh and from the Pentland Hills when walking the dog its breath taking.

Wee warning tho you'll be getting moaned at by some for wearing a Hearts top ?

Montgomery Brewster
15 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

1960's Edinburgh pictures strewn together noted Bank on corner of West Nicolson St, building the David Hume tower and Buccleuch Place into Windmill Lane.

014.jpg

Which is the photo with the bank ?

Montgomery Brewster
35 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Anyone got a photo of The Totem Lounge now the Earl of Marchmont? 

Sadly not. I used to stay just up the road from it. Was it not the totem pole ?

Marlin's Wynd, dating from at least as early as the 1600's, partially preserved under the Tron Kirk

37849087_1956758637715143_7945494394415611904_o.jpg

Edited by Cade

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not sure about this one - looks Stockbridge to me

IMG_1253.JPG

That looks like a Bailie lamp on the right so must be reasonable good area. Looks like a pub next to the car.

Maroon Sailor
Just now, been here before said:

I thought the top picture said Deep Sex Restaurant.

:oohmatron:

That was dessert

Maroon Sailor
25 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Granton Road & Lower Granton Road?

Yeah - forgot to post the location.

The number 9 tram on Granton Road. The number 9 bus used to serve that road but no buses go up there now.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Big change at Granton Square. Looks so much better in the old days.

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_1263.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not sure about this one - looks Stockbridge to me

IMG_1253.JPG

Could this be Gloucester Street ?    The only thing is the houses on the left seem too good to be demolished!

More people needed to find out. 

Maroon Sailor
48 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Could this be Gloucester Street ?    The only thing is the houses on the left seem too good to be demolished!

More people needed to find out. 

This is Gloucester Street - I reckon the building on the right confirms it

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, been here before said:

I thought the top picture said Deep Sex Restaurant.

:oohmatron:

Only if you asked for a Blue Ribband.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This is Gloucester Street - I reckon the building on the right confirms it

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

Nice find.

Maroon Sailor

Crewe Road South in the 60's. No pavement and distinct lack of traffic.

f54c32c1f3b4d8b27349046ef81041cd.jpg

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Crewe Road South in the 60's. No pavement and distinct lack of traffic.

f54c32c1f3b4d8b27349046ef81041cd.jpg

I love this photo. Not only the classic van with so little traffic but the bairn in the pushchair which is like something from a museum. 

3fingersreid
On 28/07/2018 at 10:48, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

Can’t work this one out , bet it’s so bloody obvious too , 

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can’t work this one out , bet it’s so bloody obvious too , 

Looking down Comiston Rd?  Shop on the corner is now Margiottas?  Primary school a wee bit further down on the left hand side.

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Sydney said:

Looking down Comiston Rd?  Shop on the corner is now Margiottas?  Primary school a wee bit further down on the left hand side.

Correct.

3fingersreid
8 hours ago, Sydney said:

I was thinking about comiston road but the building at the bottom of the picture was putting me off , but yep that's where it is ,Margiottas and the primary school behind the trees ??

Maroon Sailor

Horse and cart next to the pillar box replaced by a white van.

Not sure that left side wheel on the cart is aligned !

Tram stop (Cars stop) is a lamp post

IMG_1239.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Horse and cart next to the pillar box replaced by a white van.

Not sure that left side wheel on the cart is aligned !

Tram stop (Cars stop) is a lamp post

IMG_1239.JPG

Comiston Road isn’t it?

11 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Can someone publish more mystery pics. 

We’ve got a framed photo which we have never been able to work out its location.  I’ll take a picture of the picture and put it on later.

We have two ideas where it might be but I’ll wait to see what anyone on here thinks before I divulge!

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1255.JPG

Foot of the Walk looking onto Constitution Street?  Big pub on the right corner (Central bar?)