Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, been here before said:

There used to be two papers, the News and the Dispatch. The News swallowed up the Dispatch in the early 60s I think.

Might be worth also mentioning that the Evening Newspaper also had an edition every Saturday evening printed on pink paper containing the football results and reports and was known as the “Pink News.”

Doctor FinnBarr
32 minutes ago, weegranty said:

Original tram tracks on Waterloo Place.

Screenshot_20221116-192408_Facebook.jpg

Why were they not lifted along with the rest of the tracks? Seem's odd to leave a few metres of track.

1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Why were they not lifted along with the rest of the tracks? Seem's odd to leave a few metres of track.

I don't have the answer to that,but is something I have always wondered about aswell.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, weegranty said:

I don't have the answer to that,but is something I have always wondered about aswell.

Aye, and inset in cobbles as well, its like the council decided to leave us a wee bit of history.

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never knew Edinburgh's Evening paper was known as The Evening Dispatch

Golf geeks will have heard of the Dispatch Trophy, which was sponsored by the paper, for non course owning golf societies. It is still played annually at the Braids. 

been here before
1 hour ago, Wonfiveone said:

Might be worth also mentioning that the Evening Newspaper also had an edition every Saturday evening printed on pink paper containing the football results and reports and was known as the “Pink News.”

Aye, that only stopped about 20 years ago.

Im thinking perhaps the Dispatch one was green.

3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Aye, that only stopped about 20 years ago.

Im thinking perhaps the Dispatch one was green.

I only go back to 1967 delivering papers so cannot say for sure. I do remember the Glasgow Evening Times having a green equivalent to the Pink News.

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, weegranty said:

Original tram tracks on Waterloo Place.

Screenshot_20221116-192408_Facebook.jpg

Never noticed that before (not that I knew they were still there)- will look for it next time I'm up that way 

There was a ‘pink news’ and a green newspaper at one point.

Obviously, one was for the big team and the other, smaller publication, was for the wee ones from Lochend.

2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Aye, and inset in cobbles as well, its like the council decided to leave us a wee bit of history.

Anorak fact. There aren’t cobbles in Edinburgh, they’re setts. Cobbles are rounded and setts are brick shaped. Obviously we call them cobbles though.  

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Wonfiveone said:

I only go back to 1967 delivering papers so cannot say for sure. I do remember the Glasgow Evening Times having a green equivalent to the Pink News.

The Glasgow "green" paper was the Citizen. It ceased publication in 1974.

As a teenager, living in Fife, I remember that my dad used to bring papers home from the pub on a Saturday night, the Sporting Post, the Glasgow Evening Citizen, and the early editions of the Sunday Post and the Sunday Mail. 

5 hours ago, been here before said:

There used to be two papers, the News and the Dispatch. The News swallowed up the Dispatch in the early 60s I think.

Correct.  My pal (Wheatfield stand row 15 🙂 ) worked on the Dispatch up till it ceased production.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Anorak fact. There aren’t cobbles in Edinburgh, they’re setts. Cobbles are rounded and setts are brick shaped. Obviously we call them cobbles though.  

I didn't realise that !!  Just had a look at  Stockbridge and the Lawnmarket  on Google maps street view - you're right !!    Although some of the setts in the Lawnmarket look like they've been replaced by darker stones which look a bit more rounded (and smaller) than the originals.    Cobbletts perhaps ? 😉

Edited by Lone Striker

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

The Glasgow "green" paper was the Citizen. It ceased publication in 1974.

As a teenager, living in Fife, I remember that my dad used to bring papers home from the pub on a Saturday night, the Sporting Post, the Glasgow Evening Citizen, and the early editions of the Sunday Post and the Sunday Mail. 

Used to be able to pick up the Sunday Post and Sunday Mail after the "dugs" at Powderhall on a Saturday night, I think they were the very early edition and aimed at the English market as the football news was predominantly Newcastle and Sunderland. Also a seller at east end of Princes Street.

14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

So it seems. News and Dispatch in this photo

b2e093bd0f539f5ea80ece82cbe73445 (1).jpg

The woman in that pic was probably only 40 or so ! Everyone always looked so much older in these pics 😂

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, been here before said:

Siege!!!

Illegally trading weapons

977446202.jpg.bbc17f3bf8f44dac13564dde014935d7.jpg

Turned in to Field and Stream Antiques

460497931.jpg.06bc7f8de714d261c2245fa8bca4e769.jpg

32 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Illegally trading weapons

977446202.jpg.bbc17f3bf8f44dac13564dde014935d7.jpg

Turned in to Field and Stream Antiques

460497931.jpg.06bc7f8de714d261c2245fa8bca4e769.jpg

I vaguely remember that story about dodgy goings-on at Field & Stream - back in the 70s possibly.

Edit - just seen the posted link by  @been here before  1985.

The shop seems to be a tattoo parlour now.

Talking of dodgy goings-on ....... this is from 3 months ago -

Scottish Magnet Fishermen Find Samurai Sword and Large Caliber Rifle Ammo in City Canal

The unusual finds were pulled from the Union Canal in Edinburgh, Scotland

sword and bullets found magnet fishing

The three-foot samurai sword was pulled in by Eddie Wells on his first cast of the day

A group of magnet fishers hauled in a “razor sharp” samurai sword and seven rifle bullets while plying the waters of the Union Canal in the Scottish capital of Edinburgh last weekend. The interesting finds, which were posted to the Magnet Fishers of Edinburgh Facebook page and published in the Edinburgh Evening News, were quickly turned over to local authorities. But not before magnet fisherman Eddie Wells posed with the Japanese sword for a photo, and another man snapped pictures of the seven large caliber bullets he’d resurrected from the waters of the canal. 

The sword measured three feet in length and was caught by Wells on his first cast of the day. Fellow magnet fishing enthusiast James Pearson posted the sword and the bullets to Facebook, saying that the finds came during “a fantastic few hours at Bullet Bridge…in the white-hot heat of Edinburgh.”

Edited by Lone Striker

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The woman in that pic was probably only 40 or so ! Everyone always looked so much older in these pics 😂

must have got her gnashers removed nae teeth in that heid

SectionDJambo
56 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

...... nor were any of them called Thompson  😜

Possibly named after the Thompson twins on, I think, the Tin Tin cartoons?

2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Correct - I wonder if they were on Charlotte Square with the intention of the pipe band marching round to the shop?

Maroon Sailor
38 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Thompson and Thomson so they might not be twins either

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I wonder if that clock was ever the right time in those days

0_1966.jpg.d5ef1bb7c6f3d74a6f853ab38d6c96f1.jpg

I know someone that could have answered that, but the daftie has lost his account on here🤪A lot of posters would have said his time on here was up anyway😁

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I wonder if that clock was ever the right time in those days

0_1966.jpg.d5ef1bb7c6f3d74a6f853ab38d6c96f1.jpg

I was in town yesterday and looked up at the clock. A thought came to me.

If I remember correctly, it was traditionally set 2 minutes fast so that train travellers would hurry up and not miss their train. But if everyone knows about the time setting, they’ll know the real time.

Probably effective in times long past, but everybody has a watch or phone now, so not any more.

I don’t know how these things come into my head.