• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Really bad idea to break that bottle. Or even tamper with the contents. 

Was that not the reason the 2 men put that note in the bottle in 1887?

37 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Was that not the reason the 2 men put that note in the bottle in 1887?

In terms of it was clearly of great age and should have been examined by an expert. Experts would have extracted the contents entirely undamaged from an intact bottle.

Aside from the historical factor if it had any money value as a sale item they just blew that up too. Just had a vision of the torn note on display in a museum sitting atop a pile of broken glass. With a notice explaining the finder took a hammer to the bottle.

Maroon Sailor
25 minutes ago, Korky said:

That’s actually Redbraes.

It's not looking good that there was an actual station called Powderhall !

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Is that the tail end of Bruntsfield Gardens?

It's Bruntsfield Gardens but not sure what end

J.T.F.Robertson
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20221127_094619.jpg

7 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

New Richmond Bar now the Southsider.

The white building down from there is the Apostolic Church, with Davie Street and Simon Square along to the right, we lived round the corner from there at the Pleasance.

I still remember an official of that church having me on his knee (and me in my short troosers) with him trying to ease his hand up. Never went back.

I wonder if it might be too late for a civil suit? 

22 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

Is that the tail end of Bruntsfield Gardens?

I think it's the end of the cul-de-sac part of Bruntsfield Gardens, looking onto the back of houses on Chamberlain Road.

52 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Do you know if that's Holyrood Road looking up towards the Pleasance?

Fountainbridge. S&N brewery. Entrance was below the clock tower. Can just make out the road in on the left just past the bus stop. Done a lot of work in there during my plumbing apprenticeship. 

3 minutes ago, larbertjambo said:

Fountainbridge. S&N brewery. Entrance was below the clock tower. Can just make out the road in on the left just past the bus stop. Done a lot of work in there during my plumbing apprenticeship. 

Thanks lj, wondered that. Was the slope that was throwing me.

13 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

More or less behind the bus stop was the Fountain Bar only for use of S&N employees.

42 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

More or less behind the bus stop was the Fountain Bar only for use of S&N employees.

My old man took me in there once. The only thing I really remember is that it was a lovely pint of heavy. 

3 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

17 hours ago, larbertjambo said:

Is that Alexander's Garage just past Grove Street on the left, or am I way off?

1 minute ago, larbertjambo said:
3 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Don't recall it being only for s&n employees. At least not when I started drinking in it. Went in with my tradesmen when working on the building of the tartan club in early 1973 (I was 16) it was a hovel! Some good laughs in there though. Worked on loads of stuff in the brewery at various times till late 76. 

I do recall the Fountain being 'reviewed' by the Sunday mail pubspy sometime in early 80s hilarious. Toilet door opened wide so everyone in bar could see you having a piss. Dont think it even had a womens toilet. We frequently got lobbed out at 2.30 and staggered back to work till they opened again at 5. Surprised I made it to 65 year old. 😀

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Is that Alexander's Garage just past Grove Street on the left, or am I way off?

Aye, think this photo was posted up here before. I,ve possibly messed up trying to post it though  

Screenshot_20221128_155436_Chrome.jpg

On 27/11/2022 at 09:48, Maroon Sailor said:

20221127_094653.jpg

Where is this? Looks a bit like some old photos I seen of the greenside area. 

20 minutes ago, larbertjambo said:

Don't recall it being only for s&n employees. At least not when I started drinking in it. Went in with my tradesmen when working on the building of the tartan club in early 1973 (I was 16) it was a hovel! Some good laughs in there though. Worked on loads of stuff in the brewery at various times till late 76. 

I do recall the Fountain being 'reviewed' by the Sunday mail pubspy sometime in early 80s hilarious. Toilet door opened wide so everyone in bar could see you having a piss. Dont think it even had a womens toilet. We frequently got lobbed out at 2.30 and staggered back to work till they opened again at 5. Surprised I made it to 65 year old. 😀

The one my dad took me to he referred to as “the foreman’s bar” more like a private (small) club than a pub. 

24 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The one my dad took me to he referred to as “the foreman’s bar” more like a private (small) club than a pub. 

Probably was a wee private bar, we were just contractors and didn't know every part of what was (at that time) a rapidly expanding brewery, i can confirm that there was a number of unofficial drinking dens hidden around the place though. 😀🍻

Maroon Sailor
39 minutes ago, larbertjambo said:

Where is this? Looks a bit like some old photos I seen of the greenside area. 

Dumbiedykes 

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Dumbiedykes 

Cheers, I know I,ve seen that photo before but always think of the dumbiedykes as long sloping roads.