• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

June 1991

20221120_085409.jpg

Palace Hotel, Princes Street. In my previous employmen I carried out a cost exercise to establish what would be the probable cost of refurbishing the building inside and outside for a potential developer who was considering buying the property. As the probable cost at 1990 of the fabric repairs rendered the purchase economically unviable it came as no surprise to learn the next year that the building had suffered a catastrophic fire requiring its complete demolition.

As an aside there were stories going around at time of this picture of people excavating through the rubble to get the jewellers basement safes. I do not know how true these stories were but sounded highly risky to me.

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

Palace Hotel, Princes Street. In my previous employmen I carried out a cost exercise to establish what would be the probable cost of refurbishing the building inside and outside for a potential developer who was considering buying the property. As the probable cost at 1990 of the fabric repairs rendered the purchase economically unviable it came as no surprise to learn the next year that the building had suffered a catastrophic fire requiring its complete demolition.

As an aside there were stories going around at time of this picture of people excavating through the rubble to get the jewellers basement safes. I do not know how true these stories were but sounded highly risky to me.

Wouldn't surprise me 

Here is the hotel in all it's glory

20221120_111101.jpg.77f10e679baf49c798a2cce688d7838b.jpg

On 18/11/2022 at 15:31, Radio Ga Ga said:

50783725-4C5A-4F5C-B281-61D4086362BD.jpeg

One of my Grandfather's painted the outside of that pub, would have been in the late 60's.

Always remember my mother telling me that fact whenever we drove past it, that would have been in the early to mid 70's and it was brown then as well, so maybe that's my Grandfather's handywork still lasting into the 80's.

Just now, Tazio said:

It is. 

Oh yeah I know where it is now , just a bit along Great junction street 

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh yeah I know where it is now , just a bit along Great junction street 

The photo is taken from what would have been Telectra House the Leith Provident store and what is now a Tesco at the corner of Cables Wynd. 

Carl Fredrickson
22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20221120_134957.png

Spent many hours in Vinyl Villains over the years. Havent been there for a few years now. Never been in the Elm Bar. 

3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Spent many hours in Vinyl Villains over the years. Havent been there for a few years now. Never been in the Elm Bar. 

I remember selling a rare album to Vinyl Villains and being pleased at getting £20 for it. Next time I was in they had it in the wall for sale for £80! Robbed. 

58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The photo is taken from what would have been Telectra House the Leith Provident store and what is now a Tesco at the corner of Cables Wynd. 

Yep . 

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20221120_134411.jpg

I didn't know Aitken & Niven had their store there - or is that simply using a prominent building to advertise them ?   

The earliest I remember that building (at pavement level) was when it housed Rankins fruit & flowers in the 60s.   Aitken & Niven were in George Street.

19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Dalry

Ah ok 👍- I must be thinking of another dreary looking pub near Sighthill Shopping centre about 30 years ago 

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Ah ok 👍- I must be thinking of another dreary looking pub near Sighthill Shopping centre about 30 years ago 

That'll be The Artful Dodger

10 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

The Clock was the opposite of dreary, positively lively at times. 

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That'll be The Artful Dodger

I think it might be the Silver Wing - which on Google maps street view looks a good bit better than I remember it !! 😉

Footballfirst
24 minutes ago, postage-stamp said:

Is the railway line near blackford pond still used? Never seen a train on it

Yes, it's still used for goods trains.

18 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Corstorphine Railway Station

Looks like the end of the line so what is there now ?

20221121_100519.thumb.jpg.adb37bf5f8dbc9e7264b4cc926702e66.jpg

Found this info ...

The station was opened by the North British Railway in 1902 and the line passed on to the Scottish Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948, to be then closed by the British Railways Board in 1968.  The train journey from Corstorphine Station to Edinburgh Waverley Station took 11 minutes.

The site has since been built over by Mactaggart & Mickel, and is now occupied by the Paddockholm Estate. Station Road nearby is named for the former station.

Footballfirst
28 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Corstorphine Railway Station

Looks like the end of the line so what is there now ?

20221121_100519.thumb.jpg.adb37bf5f8dbc9e7264b4cc926702e66.jpg

This may help orientate yourself

Corstorphine.thumb.jpg.a9c263318bdef5a3321effc912278d0d.jpg

Corstorphine2.jpg

Edited by Footballfirst

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

This may help orientate yourself

Corstorphine.thumb.jpg.a9c263318bdef5a3321effc912278d0d.jpg

Corstorphine2.jpg

That's spot on

Was always under the impression Pinkhill was Corstorphine's station