Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 26/11/2022 at 04:58, Maroon Sailor said:

0_75817-Silly-games-Gala-Day-Wester-Hailes-Edinburgh-1979-detail.thumb.jpg.66f35dbcad2c8eb89831808afc26a7e8.jpg

From the original photographer.

It was taken in Wester Hailes in 1979 when I was living and working there on a grant from the Scottish Arts Council.  The photos can be freely viewed on my website here:

https://www.johnwalmsleyphotos.co.uk/-/galleries/schools-colleges-universities/wester-hailes-edinburgh-1979

Last year, I self-published a book with reminiscences from those who were there at the time and this can be bought from my site as well:

https://www.johnwalmsleyphotos.co.uk/-/galleries/store/wester-hailes-book-1979

Very Best,

John Walmsley

On 23/11/2022 at 12:42, **** the SPFL said:

my late grandmother lived at Graham Street i think it's the only tenement block still standing

Graham St was a great wee street to grow up in.

The Water of Leith was where we spent most of our time catching 'Beardies' & Minnows.

Happy days! ( Meant to add, in the 1950's )

Maroon Sailor
Just now, Stuart Lyon said:

Any idea where this is? The current Iona Bar is at 203 Easter Road this Iona Bar is numbered 27!

Think it said Iona Street

Footballfirst
24 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Think it said Iona Street

Yes. The detailing under the first floor windows in Iona Street is correct.

678156081_Iona.thumb.jpg.9503b16168fa01eea671bee0c248f9ca.jpg

Edited by Footballfirst

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, bairdy said:

Graham St was a great wee street to grow up in.

The Water of Leith was where we spent most of our time catching 'Beardies' & Minnows.

Happy days! ( Meant to add, in the 1950's )

I never actually saw her living there she was born there in 1906 and moved to Balfour Street when she got married in 1930. But me and the wife frequently walk past when out on our travels

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20221129_163307.jpg

Must be the time when Scottish football experimented with no offside out with the 18 yard line

Footballfirst
32 minutes ago, inspector said:

Must be the time when Scottish football experimented with no offside out with the 18 yard line

1972-74 Dryburgh Cups

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never knew there was a George Steet in Leith

thumb_0376-003-WEB.jpg.d134d20ed2995158675ae177fe570a33.jpg

A lot of streets in Leith and Edinburgh had to change their names after the plebiscite that joined the two councils. So George Street in Leith probably had to change its name in deference to the bigger Edinburgh one. I do know that Pitt Street in Leith survived and the Edinburgh one changed its name. 

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

There are some you can see the old names where they’ve been carved into stones on buildings. The one I can think of straight away is Jamaica Street which is on a building on Ferry Road near the library. 

Footballfirst
27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There are some you can see the old names where they’ve been carved into stones on buildings. The one I can think of straight away is Jamaica Street which is on a building on Ferry Road near the library. 

This one on the corner of Summerside Place.

343795708_Jamaicast.thumb.jpg.bde13c7a4d64dd8ea4bd2ee7b596b3a0.jpg

There are a few others still in existence, as mentioned on http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_street_r/0_street_views_-_street_furniture_street_names.htm

6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

From the original photographer.

It was taken in Wester Hailes in 1979 when I was living and working there on a grant from the Scottish Arts Council.  The photos can be freely viewed on my website here:

https://www.johnwalmsleyphotos.co.uk/-/galleries/schools-colleges-universities/wester-hailes-edinburgh-1979

Last year, I self-published a book with reminiscences from those who were there at the time and this can be bought from my site as well:

https://www.johnwalmsleyphotos.co.uk/-/galleries/store/wester-hailes-book-1979

Very Best,

John Walmsley

I just spent ages going through all those photos on the off chance I would see myself. I was 6 in 1979 and we lived in dumbryden at the time. Guaranteed my folks would have taken me along. Alas no, I was probably in the huff somewhere behind everyone else.

13 hours ago, superjack said:

I just spent ages going through all those photos on the off chance I would see myself. I was 6 in 1979 and we lived in dumbryden at the time. Guaranteed my folks would have taken me along. Alas no, I was probably in the huff somewhere behind everyone else.

There's loads of photos of Wester Hailes on this Facebook page. I think they came from The Sentinel newspaper.

https://www.facebook.com/FromThereToHereaWesterHailesStory/photos

Fxxx the SPFL
18 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. The detailing under the first floor windows in Iona Street is correct.

678156081_Iona.thumb.jpg.9503b16168fa01eea671bee0c248f9ca.jpg

Iona Bar now on corner of fester Road and Iona Street occasionally take my father in law in there from his care home along Albert street

SectionDJambo
18 hours ago, inspector said:

League Cup experiment in the 70s.

That was a regular view for me back then.

8 hours ago, Meathook said:

There's loads of photos of Wester Hailes on this Facebook page. I think they came from The Sentinel newspaper.

https://www.facebook.com/FromThereToHereaWesterHailesStory/photos

Thanks for sharing that. Had a quick look just now, will have a better look later in when I can be arsed getting my ipad. 

I did enjoy quickly going through them, mainly went through the dumbryden section though. Most of the photos look like they are from after we moved down to gala in 1981.