Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

b25lY21zOmE5MTc4NmQyLTI3MjEtNDdkYi04NDA2LTcyYzNkYzE4OTc0OTo3NTU4ZTgwNC1jZjkyLTQwNjYtYjdlYy04ODA4NzBmNmFlMDk=.jpg

Now demolished, West Granton maisonettes constructed during the mid to late sixties where the West Pilton prefabs used to be located. I do not know who the gentlemen were, but like to many of us locals, they were a great source of firewood during construction.

12 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

Now demolished, West Granton maisonettes constructed during the mid to late sixties where the West Pilton prefabs used to be located. I do not know who the gentlemen were, but like to many of us locals, they were a great source of firewood during construction.

Sorry, I meant the buildings not the gentlemen.

11 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Portobello, apposite the open air pool. (I think)

4 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I think so too. To the right is the traffic lights at the end of Sir Harry Lauder Road etc The garage is now a Lidle or Aldi store.

That's right, the photo is taken on the corner of Westbank Street, and as you say up to the right is the SHL Rd/Porty Road/Kings Road junction. Now sits an Aldi. My old man used to get his petrol there, was always competitive. That must have been into the early 1980s.

GaGa, see thr pub photos you posted earlier, where are they located?

Seaside jambo

Used to be called rosebank lane when I stayed at the bottom of it on promenade terrace, my dad worked in the power station 

The council changed a couple of street names in portobello late 60s early 70s 

5 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

That's right, the photo is taken on the corner of Westbank Street, and as you say up to the right is the SHL Rd/Porty Road/Kings Road junction. Now sits an Aldi. My old man used to get his petrol there, was always competitive. That must have been into the early 1980s.

GaGa, see thr pub photos you posted earlier, where are they located?

Tanfields is now the Worlds End on the High Street, Bissets and Westender on Morrison Street

7 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Tanfields is now the Worlds End on the High Street, Bissets and Westender on Morrison Street

Nice one, thanks. :thumbsup:

Maroon Sailor

1955 - Bobby Johnstone just before signing for Man City.

First player to score in 2 consecutive FA cup finals at Wembley.

2124197324_b25lY21zOjg1MmFkYzgyLWU5OGQtNDQ1ZC1hZTQ3LWNiZWJhNjhhZGRlYToxMzkzZDA4ZS1iZGUxLTRkYzMtYjU4OS04ZmU1Nzc5ZDY0Njg.jpg.ca7a6d7529f4f4af4f22a1b33f995932.jpg

8 hours ago, Mister T said:

Annandale Street looking up to Elm Row?

Aye, it certainly is.  I used to enjoy the snooker at the Steve Davis Club that was just on the left hand side there.

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Looking a lot better than it does now

b25lY21zOmU3ZDhjMmU1LWJkZjUtNDI1Yi05OTBhLWRhYjY1ZDQ4MjdkNTpjM2M5YzVhOS1mYWJhLTQzNTItYjI0YS03OTY1NWYyM2UwZDE=.jpg

What strikes me a lot when looking at the old pics is the lack of litter.  People obviously were far more proud of the city back in those days.  Such a shithole in Edinburgh these days.

Byyy The Light
3 minutes ago, Mark_Mywords said:

What strikes me a lot when looking at the old pics is the lack of litter.  People obviously were far more proud of the city back in those days.  Such a shithole in Edinburgh these days.

Bit of a mix, there just wasn't the consumer/convenience culture there is now.  People were more frugal, disposal packaging didn't exist on anything like the level it does now.  I agree though, there would be more much more conscious effort to look after the place and take pride in your surroundings.

I'm guessing there wasn't anything like the footfall on the streets back then either. All locals and very few tourists.

17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can't work out where this is

Screenshot_20221108-160153_Chrome.jpg.314d937b48c1ae9c4edef0de7408ced3.jpg

17 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Portobello, apposite the open air pool. (I think)

Finally, one I know!  @Radio Ga Ga is correct, it's where ALDI (or at least the car park) is now.  The old Scottish Power building (behind the bus in the original) is now flats:

porty1.png

2008 Streetview vs August 2022 Streetview of the same spot.

7 hours ago, Wonfiveone said:

The old ramps!

27 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Is that the Auld Toll in Leven Street opposite King's Theatre? Now the Blackbird ?

It is, yes.

A proper boozer as opposed to poncey type places like the Blackbird.

Plus, it was just up the road from the Quick ‘n’ Plenty.  :sweeet:

18 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

b25lY21zOjI3NzNmMjE2LTJjYzgtNGExMC1iMzViLTc3NjU4MTVhM2E4MzpkZWM4YTVhZS0yZGMyLTRhMDItOWNjMS1lNjlkMzY3ZDMwNjg=.jpg

Foot of Groathill Road North next to the Doo'cot.  The Newsagents was run by Willie Mcgeachy and the barbers latterly by an Italian called Bert. Mr Friend the baker was allegedly more than just a friend of one of the woman that worked for him!

Edited by Stuart Lyon

Maroon Sailor
50 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Foot of Groathill Road North next to the Doo'cot.  The Newsagents was run by Willie Mcgeachy and the barbers latterly by an Italian called Bert. Mr Friend the baker was allegedly more than just a friend of one of the woman that worked for him!

Sounds like the kind of baker that likes to put a bun in the oven.

Any idea why the numbers go 10, 10A, 12 ?

Footballfirst
44 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Sounds like the kind of baker that likes to put a bun in the oven.

Any idea why the numbers go 10, 10A, 12 ?

No 10 may have originally been designed as a double unit, but was subsequently split into two shops.

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

No 10 may have originally been designed as a double unit, but was subsequently split into two shops.

That would make sense

They've changed the numbers now. There is a 8A there now (chinese takeaway). 10 is Home Bakery and 12 is a Premier

image.png.52431014b89b9f18a2530b1e48822764.png

Screenshot_20221115-105753_Maps.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

luckyBatistuta
20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never knew Edinburgh's Evening paper was known as The Evening Dispatch

b25lY21zOjA3NGVjYzFkLWEwZDUtNDhmYS1iMjAxLTgwNmMzODQ3NTA1MjoxMjE5ZTlhZC0xMDRmLTRhN2ItYTdmZi03OWFiMzljZTM2NmE=.jpg

Wonder if they Dispatch bunch were hibs ##### 

been here before
50 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Never knew Edinburgh's Evening paper was known as The Evening Dispatch

b25lY21zOjA3NGVjYzFkLWEwZDUtNDhmYS1iMjAxLTgwNmMzODQ3NTA1MjoxMjE5ZTlhZC0xMDRmLTRhN2ItYTdmZi03OWFiMzljZTM2NmE=.jpg

There used to be two papers, the News and the Dispatch. The News swallowed up the Dispatch in the early 60s I think.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, been here before said:

There used to be two papers, the News and the Dispatch. The News swallowed up the Dispatch in the early 60s I think.

So it seems. News and Dispatch in this photo

b2e093bd0f539f5ea80ece82cbe73445 (1).jpg

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

So it seems. News and Dispatch in this photo

b2e093bd0f539f5ea80ece82cbe73445 (1).jpg

Didn’t realise that, every day is a school day

luckyBatistuta
14 minutes ago, been here before said:

Should have quoted yourself, good bit of info 👍