Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Pap said:

The old Santander next to Sainsburys at the bottom of Morningside Road is getting gutted. 

Walked past it today. An old baker's sign was exposed.

20220504_134231a5e6da967f4c7280.jpg

That’s brilliant.  👍

My wife remembers the bakers!

We’ve discussed this place many times and she always said the bakers name was Murray’s.  I’ve always maintained that she was wrong and that Murray’s was a wee bit further down Morningside Road, heading towards the station.

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Mister T said:

West crosscauseway. Can't believe it's not been nicked. I've been tempted..... 

Screenshot_20220505_192731.jpg

Think about the amount of dogs' cocks you'd be touching via their ancient, dried pish.

I'd probably leave it if I was you!

Edited by Smithee

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, been here before said:

Wow - I did not know Thomas J Walls coffee shop was originally  an opticians shop. And the word "Opticians" is still  there above the door with his name  !!

Lone Striker

The "Surgical Instrument Maker" sign at the Paolozzi  bar is the former premises of Archibald Young & Son, one of Edinburgh's earliest and best known pioneers of surgery. Dates back to the late 1800s. 

Edinburgh has  a long & proud  reputation for innovative manufacture of medical & surgical materials - supplying the tools for medical students at Edinburgh Uni to develop ground-breaking surgical  procedures.   Hence the reason we have Surgeon's Hall, and why Edinburgh attracted the attention of the American company Johnson & Johnson to take over Merson's catgut manufacturing site at Fountainbridge followed a bit later by the building of a new Ethicon plant at Sighthill, where a wide range of suture products were made and shipped around the world.  At its peak, over 2000 folk were employed there.

Sadly, the Fountainbridge site is long gone, and the Ethicon site was bulldozed to house the Cooncil Roads dept and Waste Recycling centre.    

Janbo1874
5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Now Tesco Superstore Corstorphine

1AE0DF2D-EB24-4E98-A932-93A15DF2DC3E.jpeg

I'm sure it was a pig farm at one time.

1 hour ago, Janbo1874 said:

You're thinking of the police station.

1 hour ago, Janbo1874 said:

The Newbiggin;s farm if I remember correctly , hence the pub that would have been built or even converted from the buildings bottom left being the Pig and Thistle.

Patrick the donkey inhabit the yard in the gap in the foreground.

Must be after 1968 as Gylemuir school is in the background.

Lone Striker
8 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Now Tesco Superstore Corstorphine

1AE0DF2D-EB24-4E98-A932-93A15DF2DC3E.jpeg

When is that photo from ?   

There was a good garage for car repairs/servicing at the side of Meadow Place Road up until the late 80s - between the police station and American Golf.

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

The NLS map at the link below was published in 1967 and shows piggery buildings, aptly, close to where the police station is now. (you can zoom in on the map).

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102715556

Edited by Footballfirst

21 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Browns Court c1910

36862E29-25CC-4878-A5DC-1C6F44671A69.jpeg

Great pic. What happened to that wee kid? What did he become? What are his great, great Grandkids doing now? What was the inside of that house like? What did his parents do for work?

frankblack
19 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Great pic. What happened to that wee kid? What did he become? What are his great, great Grandkids doing now? What was the inside of that house like? What did his parents do for work?

How many people were living in that house, which presumably had little space compared to what the average household has nowadays?  Families were much bigger - you see three kids in that photo but could there have been several more?

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

FE417927-B5A0-4FC7-8F92-34D3AE5D7057.jpeg

Heriot's from the castle. The building at the bottom with the clock was where the Apex hotel on the Grassmarket now is.

14 hours ago, Meathook said:

Heriot's from the castle. The building at the bottom with the clock was where the Apex hotel on the Grassmarket now is.

Taken from the Castle?

Just now, inspector said:

Taken from the Castle?

Should have read the reply properly. When 'It's a Knockout' were checking out the Castle Esplanade to host the programme, they discovered it was too steep. Saw the Heriot's 'playground' and decided to go for it. Many of the props etc were still stored at the school for a good while after.

Fxxx the SPFL
17 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

that's brilliant spotted the lad near the end nashing after the tram and jumping on board

Fitzroy Pointon

This popped up on my YT recommended videos the other day. Thought it might be of interest to some on. Anyone brought up there?  

Jambo-Jimbo
17 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

FE417927-B5A0-4FC7-8F92-34D3AE5D7057.jpeg

Another great photo, and one with a personal family connection to myself.

The block of 4 buildings on the left in the shape of a cross, my maternal Grandparents lived in the top flat of the right hand block closest to you, this was back in the 1960's, I can remember it well, can picture the lay-out of the flat in my mind.

Nowadays I think it's known as Heriot Bridge but back then it was called Heriot Cross.

Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

This popped up on my YT recommended videos the other day. Thought it might be of interest to some on. Anyone brought up there?  

Brilliant, thanks for posting.

Lived in Craigmillar castle terrace and avenue in the 1960s. All the footage seems to be in Niddrie. 

It was much better then than in the 80s.

So much money is poured into the area now time after time while near by areas like Prestonfield, the Inch, Moredun and Gracemount never get anything.

Changed times indeed.

Jambo-Jimbo
41 minutes ago, Australis said:

Lived in Craigmillar castle terrace and avenue in the 1960s. All the footage seems to be in Niddrie. 

So much money is poured into the area now time after time while near by areas like Prestonfield, the Inch, Moredun and Gracemount never get anything.

Changed times indeed.

We were in Craigmillar Castle Road (left in 1968), and yes it wasn't great in the 60's but was light years better then, than compared to how much the place went downhill in the 70's & 80's.  

We often drove back through it in the late 70's & 80's and were shocked how badly the whole place had went down.

Completely different nowadays, even my old house is long gone.

2 hours ago, Australis said:

Changed times indeed.

If I could get a dollar for all the time I spent tromping the Road, Avenue Terrace and other wee streets, I would be a millionaire now. House rows, death messages delivered for the hospital, births, missing kids, break ins, police aided clothing schemes, buckets without lids summonses, happiest cays of my life. What more can a man ask job satisfaction, danger, violence, nicest people in the world, provided help and was so appreciated for it, the Friday night fights at the White Hoose, down to the peace and quiet of the police box in Duddingston Road West just across Niddrie Mains Road from Craigmillar, a place of never breached sanctity . Best days of my life, will never forget them or the people, some good some bad and some who were good and bad. I can honestly say I never met anyone in Canada who had the character of one of Edinburghs worthies, who could be your most bitter opponent but as I had happen when you were injured or at risk the first to offer help. The expression heard more than once. "are ye awright polis,"  reply Aye, "well f''' ye then".

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

4-08-Misc-67-cRobert-Blomfield-13-600x900.jpg

A Stockbridge sunbather

I bet she’s just finished a shift up at a certain house up in Danube Street 😜

henryheart
On 08/05/2022 at 23:26, Lone Striker said:

When is that photo from ?   

There was a good garage for car repairs/servicing at the side of Meadow Place Road up until the late 80s - between the police station and American Golf.

In the 1960s and 70s it was called Windy Vale garage. It sold Esso petrol and I remember in 1970 the guy in the kiosk kept a pile of loose World Cup coins and us local kids went there to swap. I remember getting Allan Clarke to complete my collection. 

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

If I could get a dollar for all the time I spent tromping the Road, Avenue Terrace and other wee streets, I would be a millionaire now. House rows, death messages delivered for the hospital, births, missing kids, break ins, police aided clothing schemes, buckets without lids summonses, happiest cays of my life. What more can a man ask job satisfaction, danger, violence, nicest people in the world, provided help and was so appreciated for it, the Friday night fights at the White Hoose, down to the peace and quiet of the police box in Duddingston Road West just across Niddrie Mains Road from Craigmillar, a place of never breached sanctity . Best days of my life, will never forget them or the people, some good some bad and some who were good and bad. I can honestly say I never met anyone in Canada who had the character of one of Edinburghs worthies, who could be your most bitter opponent but as I had happen when you were injured or at risk the first to offer help. The expression heard more than once. "are ye awright polis,"  reply Aye, "well f''' ye then".

A lovely story, it was sometimes bad but not always.

Most of the residents were hardworking, decent, proud and had values.

Remember walking through the pig farm opposite the Duddingston travellers camp.

A guy came out swinging a golf club threatening to hit me, warning me to walk back out to Duddingston road west.

I said " you would not dare"

He then smashed the club across my back and then my backside and back of my legs

He was as mad as a box of frogs.

I ran away like Lynford Christie lol.

Black and blue a few days later.

Every time I drive that route I think about it.

Even though it was in the 60s

We probably met in my youth lol.

I hope we did.

Thanks for looking after us all.🙂

Edited by Australis

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We were in Craigmillar Castle Road (left in 1968), and yes it wasn't great in the 60's but was light years better then, than compared to how much the place went downhill in the 70's & 80's.  

We often drove back through it in the late 70's & 80's and were shocked how badly the whole place had went down.

Completely different nowadays, even my old house is long gone.

Our house in the Avenue looked across the fields opposite to Craigmillar castle.

That has since been demolished along with the one in the terrace.

Craigmillar has all changed for the better now, that's for sure.

Lots and lots of fond memories of characters and places.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

I bet she’s just finished a shift up at a certain house up in Danube Street 😜

Number 17 probably run by the infamous Dora Noyce? Where's @Sharpie when we need him?

I remember mid seventies, my dad driving past and pointing it out to me. 

Stockbridge edinburgh, Edinburgh scotland, EdinburghDora on left.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Number 17 probably run by the infamous Dora Noyce? Where's @Sharpie when we need him?

Most of her punters were judges lawyers cops @Sharpie possibly attended in an official capacity of course👍 she always got just a slap on the wrists and small fines I wonder why 

Jambo-Jimbo
48 minutes ago, Australis said:

Our house in the Avenue looked across the fields opposite to Craigmillar castle.

That has since been demolished along with the one in the terrace.

Craigmillar has all changed for the better now, that's for sure.

Lots and lots of fond memories of characters and places.

We must have just been around the corner as we lived in the last block at the top of the road, across the road was the fields, football pitch on the right hand side, then a field then the castle.  Seem to recall gardens or greenhouses on the left, there was a youth club at the end of that road.

All changed now, agreed for the better.

36 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Mrs Noyce is a familiar name but I left in 1967, so many of my memories are gone. Danube Street would be a place I would have needed a map and compass. Women of ill repute were handled by plain clothes, to us peons in uniform the girls were the only other thing lower than crap to the busies and plain clothes so we left them alone and they left us alone. I became ambitious in restarting my career in Canada, in Edinburgh I could have spent happily my whole career in Niddrie and Craigmillar, being a beat man was a pleasure. But change was happening, new things to better police, wee blue cars, etc. 1967 time for me to get out couldn't stand change.