Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

So you are still going back pretty regular Jim. I haven't been back in  can't remember how long, don't miss it, and to be honest I would be a wee bit afraid whether I could handle all the changes. When I came to Canada I really worked at settling here, and not going back all the time, which was tempting, however when both parents were gone the need seemed so much less. I am happy for you that you obviously still get much pleasure from the old home grounds, I do have a wee bit of envy, sometimes feel disloyal. Now with life doing its thing and so many happy memories of life here, I guess to Canada I am like a bad smell, hard to get rid of.

Aye Bob, still at it but this time it was more a case of not having been back for two and a half years, and not getting any younger, was more a case of "what if". 

I enjoyed the limited things I did but found myself getting overly stressed about all the tests you had to go through before you were even ok'd to get bahck, and as I'm easily stressed, kinda put a mental damper on things.

Had to cancel my return flight/hotel as my first mail-in test didn't get back to me until the actual date of my return flight so was useless. Sent away for another kit, before discovering they had a facility at Newbridge where you could get a one on one, in person test. All in all cost me 240 quid for all that then had to re-book my hotel at Gatwick, followed by my flight back which cost CDN $1000. 

Keep in mind, I was doing all this knowing if the PCR test came back positive, I was screwed, so the trip wasn't quite what it usually is. 

Booked for six weeks but had to stress for an extra one.

I think the best day I had was at the 5-2, D.U. game, thought we had a chance at the league after that one. ;)

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 23/06/2018 at 23:09, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

This looks like it was proposed in 2007 unless l've missed them looking to re-instate it elsewhere? Back then they were proposing it would 'only' cost £15 million, so not sure what that would equate to in today's prices. Seems like a cheap option if you compare that to the near £1bn for the tram (shudder).  Would love to see it happen but l'll not hold my breath! The south of Edinburgh desperately needs something. You only have to see the volume of traffic on the by-pass to see it is badly needed.

Just requires political will. Heriot Watt University carried out a feasibility study of reopening the south suburban line a number of years ago and the cost came in at a fraction of what was/is being paid for the trams. Our political masters are continually imploring the public to give up the car and to switch to public transport, yet are unwilling to invest in improving public transport. 

On 06/01/2022 at 21:13, NANOJAMBO said:

Where was this please ?

While it is advertising the Alhambra, I was curious as there's nowhere off Leith Walk that has that sort of slope. The brickwork looked familiar and indeed the slope so I checked the Alhambra I often deliver to in Dunfermline, and right enough!  If you go onto Google Street you'll see the very inset post box, painted black, on New Row.

Cool photo, mind.

Edited by ArcticJambo

22 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Vittoria Here 

Odd seeing just the little cafe. They slowly but surely snaked their way around the block buying each shop as it closed down. First Murray’s and then the Kennel Club on the next corner. Also Eatalia is them as well. 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Odd seeing just the little cafe. They slowly but surely snaked their way around the block buying each shop as it closed down. First Murray’s and then the Kennel Club on the next corner. Also Eatalia is them as well. 

Yeah, didn’t know they had that little place first, hadn’t seen that before. 

54 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cambusnethan Street and Dalziel Place, early 190’s, built in 1895

186F7B72-BAF3-45F4-890A-1AB3F0A34272.jpeg

Its funny but I just look at these old buildings and think not a bad house there, lot of windows, even the bay windows give you a wee bit more exposure to the sides. Then and I refer to my locality here, and I guess some in Edinburgh they build concrete no character entities, that by comparison are temporary residences before demolition and new temporary entities. I look at that picture and see solid, imaginitive design, and skilled building craftsmanship built for extended time and looks absolute c lass in all ways..

30 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Salvesen fleet in Leith harbour.

Salvesen.JPG.b8e992fc83cb59324a17ba8164e5d393.JPG

That is Leith, South Georgia

Interesting place. When the whaling stopped they basically just got in the ships and left so it’s like an abandoned factory from a video game. 

52 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Salvesen fleet in Leith harbour.

Salvesen.JPG.b8e992fc83cb59324a17ba8164e5d393.JPG

That is Leith, South Georgia

My dad would have been on one of those whaling boats.

luckyBatistuta

I know I could have pm’d this, but someone else might have missed  this too. The fact it’s history, I thought I’d chuck it on this thread. Not sure if you have watched, or already know about this @Sharpie but if you’ve not, I thought you might enjoy it.

The Force: A story of Scotland’s Police. A three part history of the police in Scotland 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09gvfb0

12 minutes ago, henryheart said:

As a guess is that at the top of Clermiston Road? 

I think so too.

42 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

98D50E43-4C64-4A3C-A91B-47575D8FC16C.jpeg

Grassmarket?  Bottom of Victoria Street.

37 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

A3F2C06D-C70D-45EB-B86B-30386FF3B7DE.jpeg

The windy Waverley Steps?

Edited by Morgan

4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

98D50E43-4C64-4A3C-A91B-47575D8FC16C.jpeg

When I was a wee boy in the 70s the Grassmarket was a scary place with all the mad alchies wandering about fighting themselves. 

The Volunteer’s Rest

Morningside’s earliest tavern at Canaan Lane and forerunner

of the Canny Man, built nearby in 1871.The Edinburgh

Volunteers who practised shooting at Blackford Hill frequented the hostelry. Johnny Kerr, the first “Canny Man”, so named for warning customers not to drink and drive their horses! “Ca’ canny, man!”

IMG_2840.jpeg

21 hours ago, Mister T said:

When I was a wee boy in the 70s the Grassmarket was a scary place with all the mad alchies wandering about fighting themselves. 

Castle Trades Hotel, meths drinkers, and they’ll smell of pish all come to mind from that era and before. Definitely a scary place  best to be avoided until the above hostel closed in the eighties, I think.

2 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

Castle Trades Hotel, meths drinkers, and they’ll smell of pish all come to mind from that era and before. Definitely a scary place  best to be avoided until the above hostel closed in the eighties, I think.

Auto correct and alcohol combined strike again- “they’ll” should read “the”.

Fxxx the SPFL
43 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

Brasso and milk was another one 

Another one was to steal a bottle of milk from a door, then take the mantle of the stair gaslight and run gas into the milk, a common arrest on the Tron,Grassmarket,Cowgate, beats particularly was a Drunk and Incapable from those cocktails, the trip to the box to wait for the Wagon was accompanied by a clearing of the bowels after those concoctions, its unbelievable what a human being can pass with accompanying odors. 

I always remember the sound of the meths drinkers voices as they shouted at you. Screeching with their vocal chords destroyed by the concoctions they’ve been drinking. 

On 14/01/2022 at 21:38, Mister T said:

My maternal Grandparents lived down the Grassmarket in the 60's (at Heriot Cross), remember having to walk past the doss house to get to their house, I was only a wee lad but can remember it.  The Grassmarket back then was completely different to how it is nowadays.

8 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The Volunteer’s Rest

Morningside’s earliest tavern at Canaan Lane and forerunner

of the Canny Man, built nearby in 1871.The Edinburgh

Volunteers who practised shooting at Blackford Hill frequented the hostelry. Johnny Kerr, the first “Canny Man”, so named for warning customers not to drink and drive their horses! “Ca’ canny, man!”

IMG_2840.jpeg

So he must have been related to Watson Kerr, I remember he was a bookie as well I think..

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My maternal Grandparents lived down the Grassmarket in the 60's (at Heriot Cross), remember having to walk past the doss house to get to their house, I was only a wee lad but can remember it.  The Grassmarket back then was completely different to how it is nowadays.

A lot like the old Leith Shore area when I started drinking all these many years ago: definitely a place to be avoided if possible at that time but now completely transformed.