Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

18 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Thought so , it’s underneath George the 4th bridge , it’s also where the James Connolly society meet every year to celebrate his life . It’s called little Ireland given how many who came from Ireland settled there . If you look up as you walk past there is a sign saying 

For neither King nor Kaiser 

I never knew that, but it makes sense thinking about it now.

I've got several families living in the Cowgate in the mid to late 1800's and all were from Ireland, I had never even thought that there might have been a reason why they were living in the Cowgate, now it makes sense why they were there, because that's where most Irish immigrants went to live at the time.

Cheers for the info. 👍

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They do look a bit Tinny

Any idea what that is bottom right of the lampost?

If you watch the On The Buses film they put a card in a machine when they got to the turnaround point.

Not sure if that was a thing in Edinburgh

Not sure about what that is.

Can’t recall Edinburgh having them but someone may enlighten us.

In the last series of Endevour there was a similar thing at a bus terminus.

41 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Construction 1966, since demolished 

17730754-5178-40FD-815B-D4FA5DB8DF1D.jpeg

West Granton marionettes that replaced the West Pilton prefabs which were on the other side of West Granton Road opposite the gas works. Lived up the road at the time of construction and remember someone setting fire to the site huts resulting in massive explosions with gas bottles being projected high into the air and lots of smoke that could be seen and heard from miles away. 

P.S. it wisnae me. 

12 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

West Granton marionettes that replaced the West Pilton prefabs which were on the other side of West Granton Road opposite the gas works. Lived up the road at the time of construction and remember someone setting fire to the site huts resulting in massive explosions with gas bottles being projected high into the air and lots of smoke that could be seen and heard from miles away. 

P.S. it wisnae me. 

maisonettes, not marionettes -fat fingers or autocorrect

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

5D09D036-ED57-405E-8858-497CB5F23F2D.jpeg

Nice photo that I haven't seen before. I walk down that woodland path quite regularly.  All changed with the grass tennis courts though.

19 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Nice photo that I haven't seen before. I walk down that woodland path quite regularly.  All changed with the grass tennis courts though.

Is that Craiglockhart pond behind the tennis courts?  Been trying to locate the place using landmarks on the horizon.

Footballfirst
29 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Is that Craiglockhart pond behind the tennis courts?  Been trying to locate the place using landmarks on the horizon.

Yes

3 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Construction 1966, since demolished 

17730754-5178-40FD-815B-D4FA5DB8DF1D.jpeg

My wife's uncle had a plaque erected in his honour somehwere in that place for his community work.

I can remember the prefabs being there when I was a nipper in the early 60s. The houses themselves were death traps apparently (damp, dangerous electrics) but I remeber them having lovely gardens.  How the council thought the ghetto that replaced them was a good idea is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

My wife's uncle had a plaque erected in his honour somehwere in that place for his community work.

I can remember the prefabs being there when I was a nipper in the early 60s. The houses themselves were death traps apparently (damp, dangerous electrics) but I remeber them having lovely gardens.  How the council thought the ghetto that replaced them was a good idea is beyond me. 

I'm seem to remember seeing a plaque with Walter Prentice down that way. Would this be your wife's uncle?

Edited by Jambo314

4 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

I'm seem to remember seeing a plaque with Walter Prentice down that way. Would this be your wife's uncle?

That's the fella. 

5 hours ago, Wonfiveone said:

Boswall Parkway, if I remember correctly. Certainly looks like it.

Yep. I don’t remember it being open but it sat derelict for years with occasional arson attempts before it was eventually pulled down for a supermarket to be built. 

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I never knew that, but it makes sense thinking about it now.

I've got several families living in the Cowgate in the mid to late 1800's and all were from Ireland, I had never even thought that there might have been a reason why they were living in the Cowgate, now it makes sense why they were there, because that's where most Irish immigrants went to live at the time.

Cheers for the info. 👍

Also a good explanation for the RC chapel down there being so big compared to most in Edinburgh. most likely where Canon Hannon the founder of Hibs was based. 

Garvock jambo
On 29/12/2021 at 20:52, bairdy said:

Went to 'Kenny's' for years. Drank in the 'Annfield Bar' for years,

They were indeed 'happy days'.

How many people knew his real name was "Harry "?