• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Playhouse 1975

003740F0-DF4F-4376-A986-581687A51218.jpeg

It still amazes me that it was built as a cinema. Imagine there being a demand for a 3,500 seat cinema nowadays. 

53 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

07E04CB2-35F4-45DF-9ED6-CBC95ADEEC9E.jpeg

FIGHTS from Scotland Direct ?       Were they an agency for Edinburgh neds  ?  😃

3 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

D7C7F948-E7EB-4ADE-AFEA-A8E6777E5CBF.jpeg

What an amazing & beautiful building this was before it was "modernised" for Binns.  

12 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

730225F7-DF34-4C95-9897-CAEB862B0C7D.jpeg

Looks a bit like Craigmillar Castle.  Did Dudddingston Loch extend further south that it does now ?   Great Bonspiel  photo though.

26 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

D3017332-71D0-4B97-A21B-EE560F3D98A9.jpeg

The Shakespeare where a certain, future, Guardsman and Policeman consumed alcohol illegally at the age of sixteen prior to giving the waiting girls at the Palais his full attention. One has to believe a teenage villain such as this would become a burden on society, I wonder what happened to him.

Byyy The Light
9 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

The Shakespeare where a certain, future, Guardsman and Policeman consumed alcohol illegally at the age of sixteen prior to giving the waiting girls at the Palais his full attention. One has to believe a teenage villain such as this would become a burden on society, I wonder what happened to him.

😄😄

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

07E04CB2-35F4-45DF-9ED6-CBC95ADEEC9E.jpeg

👍🏻Ah...the memories.  The city centre sign at the other side has never moved or wilted😀.

(....Just as the buses leave the far end of the terminus to slip back onto the main road, there was a prime spot for the naughty boys in the scheme who’d congregate to shower Old Firm supporters buses with “gifts” as they left to head home West after games at Tynie. More an 80s pastime mind you😬....)

Sorry for the slight diversion on a fantastic thread.  👍🏻

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Poster on Twitter yesterday stated to be Edinburgh 1958.

Maybe Dumbiedykes?

1958.jpg

Possibly Arthur Street.

46 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

👍🏻Ah...the memories.  The city centre sign at the other side has never moved or wilted😀.

(....Just as the buses leave the far end of the terminus to slip back onto the main road, there was a prime spot for the naughty boys in the scheme who’d congregate to shower Old Firm supporters buses with “gifts” as they left to head home West after games at Tynie. More an 80s pastime mind you😬....)

My old house is just out of shot, the kitchen window more or less looked onto Burtons biscuit factory, ahhhh the smell of the biscuits getting made, can still remember it as if it was yesterday and I moved away in 1978

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Not a car show room in sight

Bus advertising Weston's biscuits as well !

20211230_201510.jpg

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211230_201510.jpg

For some reason I would call these buses “Tin Lizzie’s.”

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

For some reason I would call these buses “Tin Lizzie’s.”

They do look a bit Tinny

Any idea what that is bottom right of the lampost?

If you watch the On The Buses film they put a card in a machine when they got to the turnaround point.

Not sure if that was a thing in Edinburgh

47 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211230_201510.jpg

Brilliant.   It must’ve been written in the stars that my family would move to the Calders once it was built....my Dad worked in Weston’s at one time way back then!  Haha...

I was only a few months old when we moved to the Calders from Watson Crescent in 1974👍🏻

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

My old house is just out of shot, the kitchen window more or less looked onto Burtons biscuit factory, ahhhh the smell of the biscuits getting made, can still remember it as if it was yesterday and I moved away in 1978

Addictive smell it was, mate. Lol.    

I stayed in number 12 behind you to the right if you looked out your livingroom window into the square. 👍🏻

35 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Brilliant.   It must’ve been written in the stars that my family would move to the Calders once it was built....my Dad worked in Weston’s at one time way back then!  Haha...

I was only a few months old when we moved to the Calders from Watson Crescent in 1974👍🏻

It was a great place to stay

I was born in the prefabs in 1956 at the Calders then moved to Broomhouse in 1961 till the flats were built.We moved back in 1965

I loved it there especially when the likes of Burtons biscuits,Milanda Bakeries,Golden Wonder crisps and Schweppes juice factories opened.

We were (ahem)able to get our hands on lots of goodies I think its called theft these days

1 hour ago, otterjohn said:

It was a great place to stay

I was born in the prefabs in 1956 at the Calders then moved to Broomhouse in 1961 till the flats were built.We moved back in 1965

I loved it there especially when the likes of Burtons biscuits,Milanda Bakeries,Golden Wonder crisps and Schweppes juice factories opened.

We were (ahem)able to get our hands on lots of goodies I think its called theft these days

Milanda became Sunblest, if I remember correctly? My uncle worked there. 

It was a right family affair in the industrial estate.  My Dad and 2 uncles worked in William Thynes, my Mum and a couple of Aunties worked in Burtons.  👍🏻

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Bathgate Hearts bus lost windows on at least 2 occasions in the 70s as we headed west amongst them, were the twats colourblind?

8 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Thought so , it’s underneath George the 4th bridge , it’s also where the James Connolly society meet every year to celebrate his life . It’s called little Ireland given how many who came from Ireland settled there . If you look up as you walk past there is a sign saying 

For neither King nor Kaiser 

It's where my grand father was brought up after moving over from Ireland when he was 2 or 3.

5 hours ago, superjack said:

It's where my grand father was brought up after moving over from Ireland when he was 2 or 3.

👍🏻 It’s always good to find out the info I’ve been told then posted is true . 😀

Edited by 3fingersreid

9 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Milanda became Sunblest, if I remember correctly? My uncle worked there. 

It was a right family affair in the industrial estate.  My Dad and 2 uncles worked in William Thynes, my Mum and a couple of Aunties worked in Burtons.  👍🏻

Our office football team used to be in a league with AC Milanda!