Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

6 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

This might seem a stupid question but if I wanted to pick a particular page on this thread to look at say page 100 do I have to trawl through all the previous pages or is there anyway I can go straight to it

Yes I'm a 🦕 

Tap the ‘page X of X’ text at the top or bottom of the thread 

Edited by kila

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, kila said:

Tap the ‘page X of X’ text at the top or bottom of the thread 

:fonzie:Didn't know that! :lol:

9 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

see in the address bar towards the top of your screen, where it says something like ...

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/177398-edinburgh-history/page/300/

well, just change the 300 bit to 100, or any page for that matter.

Maybe I'm not picking you up right but anyway, hope that works.

Superb,worked a treat Cheers

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20220117_124013.jpg

Could that be around Surgeons Hall, almost directly across from the museum (surgeons hall museum).

37 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Could that be around Surgeons Hall, almost directly across from the museum (surgeons hall museum).

👍 I think the shop might be Wm Low on Nicholson Street, where the Mosque Kitchen is now on the corner of Nicholson Square.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Why did you post a picture of a Hibbie *******.

Peter Ustinov was a Hibby ?

3 hours ago, Meathook said:

👍 I think the shop might be Wm Low on Nicholson Street, where the Mosque Kitchen is now on the corner of Nicholson Square.

I would suggest the photographer was on the west side of Nicolson Street, the street to his left would lead into Marshal Street and through to Bristo Street crossing Potterrow to get there, about a hundred or so yards or so, you would pass a police box on your left. If you looked due north from the photographers position you would see the University on your left and on the opposite side of the street the actual Surgeons Hall, the North Bridge would be seen in the distance, at least thats how it would have been circa 1966.

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I would suggest the photographer was on the west side of Nicolson Street, the street to his left would lead into Marshal Street and through to Bristo Street crossing Potterrow to get there, about a hundred or so yards or so, you would pass a police box on your left. If you looked due north from the photographers position you would see the University on your left and on the opposite side of the street the actual Surgeons Hall, the North Bridge would be seen in the distance, at least thats how it would have been circa 1966.

I recall there was a toilet block at the far end of Nicolson Square, I think it's gone now.

When we (my Mum, Dad & myself) came through to Edinburgh we used to park further back on Nicolson street in a small car park next to the road, long gone now, I think it's flats with shops at street level nowadays, if that was full we'd park next to the University where there was a large car park, that's gone as well I think as it's now more of the University.  That large car park was also very handy for the hospital as it was only a 5 minute walk away.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Spot on Bob.

mosque.jpg

Fxxx the SPFL
13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Goldberg's

Used to get a good scran in there top floor restaurant my late parents took me and younger brother there when I was about 10 late sixties 

48 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Goldberg's

When our son was about four/five we bought him his desired tricycle at Goldbergs. We then lived with our hearts in our mouth as he and his friends on theirs raced full tilt down the slope at Clerwood Loan. No accidents which was an act against all percentages, but I guess it was just whatever looks after kids.

Edited by Sharpie

Shanks said no
57 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Starting the build for the central mosque? 

yes

although I like this description better

49 minutes ago, Cade said:

Bricks up if you hate Hibees

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20220118_065811.jpg

I think that’s Colinton Village.

it’s now a church.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Montgomery Brewster
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20220118_065732.jpg

Extreme left - strippers. Think it was called tipplers or something like that if I recall correctly 

Footballfirst

1960 view of the city from the south west with Campbell Park and Torphin in the foreground.

991908614_1960CampbellPark.JPG.a251d6dcdf9a11b537daca821ee9b3f0.JPG 

Edited by Footballfirst

41 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Extreme left - strippers. Think it was called tipplers or something like that if I recall correctly 

Tipplers it was.

Tiny wee place.