Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

broxburnjambo
12 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

Aye - Shades…and also round the corner in North Fort Street was Charlie’s sweet shop - next door to the old school

Spend my youth in that Old School. Fort Boys Club!!

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl Fredrickson

I have said this many times but many thanks to those who post pictures on here and those who share stories and info. 

A truly tremendous read. 

22 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Oor Annie🙂

For a minute there, I thought it was Brendan O' Carroll starring in a trans version of On the Buses.

Ex member of the SaS
12 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I know where this is, but what's going on here ? 

Fire engine in front so I would suggest the funeral of a fire fighter who died in a fire. ( Just a thought ) 

19 hours ago, JWL said:

I used to stay in Lindsay Road. Early memories of that bridge include a fish lorry crashing and spilling its load and the filming of 'Just Another Saturday'.

...is that not what's going on in the photo ?

Could be an orange band behind the fire truck.

5 minutes ago, felix said:

...is that not what's going on in the photo ?

Could be an orange band behind the fire truck.

No, don't think so as the new main road had been constructed by then and the rail tracks all dug up.

On 28/12/2021 at 11:01, Maroon Sailor said:

End of the Edinburgh bus conductors October 1980. I remember these buses had a front side door as opposed to the open platform at the back.

20211228_105933.jpg

Without wishing in anyway to be intentionally offensive to this lovely lady, people, of my generation and older who lived in north west Edinburgh, will no doubt recall the publicity given to the late Councilor Kidd in the sixties and seventies regarding his comments regarding bus conductors who unfortunately were of a similar size and build as the good Councilor himself.

Maroon Sailor
26 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

Without wishing in anyway to be intentionally offensive to this lovely lady, people, of my generation and older who lived in north west Edinburgh, will no doubt recall the publicity given to the late Councilor Kidd in the sixties and seventies regarding his comments regarding bus conductors who unfortunately were of a similar size and build as the good Councilor himself.

He must have been the reason for the term Clowncillor

He once described Sighthill College as a brothel !

wentworth jambo
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211229_112108.jpg

Purveys Marquee Hire in the centre, Chancelot Mill in the background and the Caley Inn on the left - first ever pub I got served in and that was only cos I played for their Sunday league team at 16

wentworth jambo
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211229_112108.jpg

Purveys Marquee Hire in the centre, Chancelot Mill in the background and the Caley Inn on the left - first ever pub I got served in and that was only cos I played for their Sunday league team at 16

29 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

He must have been the reason for the term Clowncillor

He once described Sighthill College as a brothel !

Yes, if I recall correctly he had very non woke views on students generally and what he regarded as their promiscuity. That said, he was an independent councilor who frequently took the then Edinburgh Corporation to task. A lot of people must have shared his views as he clearly won Council elections in spite of his sexist and obesist views.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Wonfiveone said:

I remember him.

It would've been interesting to see how he would be welcomed nowadays. 

broxburnjambo
53 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

I remember drinking in The Caley when home from the army before heading to St Andrews Square bus station to get the night bus to Wembley for the England v  Scotland game. Must be either 1986 /87  ( I was 16/17) at the time. A true drinking mans pub. 

5 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

John D Kidd I think?

Yes, found it on google. In doing so I found an article named “shafting councillor Kidd”, which might be of interest.

On 28/12/2021 at 07:12, broxburnjambo said:

Another image of my youth, the Prom Bar on the far side of the bridge, The half way house and Kenny's the barbers both on this side. Fantastic memories.

Went to 'Kenny's' for years. Drank in the 'Annfield Bar' for years,

They were indeed 'happy days'.

been here before
8 hours ago, Mister T said:

That's an odd looking and very small person getting out the pool....

IMG_20211229_234803.jpg

Not seen the Shaun Maloney thread then? 

On 28/12/2021 at 11:35, Maroon Sailor said:

Posted before but can't remember exactly where this is. Somebody did mention it though

20211228_113046.thumb.jpg.137d6398c765cc0c2ca85b7f38ac055b.jpg

I lived and grew up next to the terminus at the “good end” of the 34 route in the Calders😁.  

As a bairn I often used to wonder where Lochend was when the driver used to start winding round the route board?🙃 

3 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I lived and grew up next to the terminus at the “good end” of the 34 route in the Calders😁.  

As a bairn I often used to wonder where Lochend was when the driver used to start winding round the route board?🙃 

I’m in my 50’s and there are still places on bus destination boards I don’t have a clue where they are. All of them in the south of the city as I’m useless at finding my way around there. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I’m in my 50’s and there are still places on bus destination boards I don’t have a clue where they are. All of them in the south of the city as I’m useless at finding my way around there. 

Haha....I’ve still never found out where “limited stop” was? 

been here before
7 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Up the road from Circle.

13 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Its the one you wanted to get off at but is limited so not used. 

On 29/12/2021 at 11:14, Maroon Sailor said:

20211229_111401.jpg.457d06cf14ed409b9762d4921b5b1e1f.jpg

20211229_111407.jpg.4ce87f046d41c254b9524bc84aa1fec5.jpg

Fair chance I'll know a few of the guys in the top picture (one may even be me!). Fort Place but not sure of the year.

On 29/12/2021 at 13:42, broxburnjambo said:

I remember drinking in The Caley when home from the army before heading to St Andrews Square bus station to get the night bus to Wembley for the England v  Scotland game. Must be either 1986 /87  ( I was 16/17) at the time. A true drinking mans pub. 

Eddie Carey mine host?

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, JWL said:

An elephant interrupts a table of readers in a library building

Leith Central Library. Wonder what book the elephant borrowed?

At least the book would have been returned on time. 

7 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

07E04CB2-35F4-45DF-9ED6-CBC95ADEEC9E.jpeg