• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

The square go by bus ones are still the best tasting ones they ever did. 😀

😂 Stuck to the windows really well if you gobbed hard enough. 

broxburnjambo
18 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

2D4EF97F-4615-4BFD-BA06-F55791406F2F.jpeg

Another image of my youth, the Prom Bar on the far side of the bridge, The half way house and Kenny's the barbers both on this side. Fantastic memories.

14 minutes ago, broxburnjambo said:

Another image of my youth, the Prom Bar on the far side of the bridge, The half way house and Kenny's the barbers both on this side. Fantastic memories.

Kenny's was where I got my haircut around 50 years ago when jumping on the number 16 bus from Pennywell.

Maroon Sailor

Looks like some flats were half in Leith and half Edinburgh. 

20211228_094535.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, broxburnjambo said:

That bridge is currently closed as it’s unsafe locals want it repaired pronto 

42 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Looks like some flats were half in Leith and half Edinburgh. 

20211228_094535.jpg

Hence the tiles on the floor of the boundary bar on leith walk . A pub in both leith and Edinburgh , which had separate licensing laws which meant slightly longer drinking times in the leith side of the pub .

regarding the buses I’m beginning to think that the buses we used when I was a bairn were getting serviced by the older jump on jump off open ended ones rather than the posher newer ones 😂😂

broxburnjambo
1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

That bridge is currently closed as it’s unsafe locals want it repaired pronto 

In my life time, there has never been a car across that bridge. its always been closed of to cars. Just shows what years of neglect can do.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Hence the tiles on the floor of the boundary bar on leith walk . A pub in both leith and Edinburgh , which had separate licensing laws which meant slightly longer drinking times in the leith side of the pub .

Different transport system as well. I posted something earlier on this thread about having to change trams if you wanted to go to Leith from Edinburgh

Maroon Sailor

End of the Edinburgh bus conductors October 1980. I remember these buses had a front side door as opposed to the open platform at the back.

20211228_105933.jpg

21 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

End of the Edinburgh bus conductors October 1980. I remember these buses had a front side door as opposed to the open platform at the back.

20211228_105933.jpg

Oor Annie🙂

44 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Different transport system as well. I posted something earlier on this thread about having to change trams if you wanted to go to Leith from Edinburgh

Wasn’t aware of that 👍🏻

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Posted before but can't remember exactly where this is. Somebody did mention it though

20211228_113046.thumb.jpg.137d6398c765cc0c2ca85b7f38ac055b.jpg

21 and 34 both stop there bus says high street longstone then Lochend strange route don’t recognise street though 

12 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

21 and 34 both stop there bus says high street longstone then Lochend strange route don’t recognise street though 

Yeah, like you I don't recognise the street either which is a bit frustrating 😊

Service 34 had termini at  Sighthill and Lochend.

The route was:

Sighthill - Saughton Mains - Dundee Terrace - Charlotte Square - Hamilton Place - Leith Walk (foot) - Lochend - Tron Church - Chesser Avenue - Longstone - Sighthill

30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Posted before but can't remember exactly where this is. Somebody did mention it though

20211228_113046.thumb.jpg.137d6398c765cc0c2ca85b7f38ac055b.jpg

If I mind right, someone said the bus stop was on John's Place. The shop on the corner certainly looks like the one on the corner of Links Place and Elbe Street.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

If I mind right, someone said the bus stop was on John's Place. The shop on the corner certainly looks like the one on the corner of Links Place and Elbe Street.

That's it - John's Place

20211228_113046.thumb.jpg.b4b25cb768ed3e4bf3fab8220cce56a8.jpg

20211228_121336.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

15 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

👍

15 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

There was also Honest John on Eastern Scottish. Well known on the 52 to Balerno.

No messing about when John was on your bus.

Got his nickname as at end of shift ,if over, would ring up tickets so money matched to money in bag, never bought the driver a cuppa as most conductors would with pockle, was a driver at Eastern scottish 74 to 78

Worthing Jambo
12 minutes ago, Auld Jambo said:

Got his nickname as at end of shift ,if over, would ring up tickets so money matched to money in bag, never bought the driver a cuppa as most conductors would with pockle, was a driver at Eastern scottish 74 to 78

👍AJ

8 hours ago, broxburnjambo said:

I used to stay in Lindsay Road. Early memories of that bridge include a fish lorry crashing and spilling its load and the filming of 'Just Another Saturday'.

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211228_161624.jpg

That's looking towards Hamilton Crescent with Fort Place going across the way. Spent many a penny buying Black Jacks and Fruit Salad chews in that corner shop.

Cammo House, Built in 1693, the house was bequeathed to the National Trust in 1975 but, in 1977, was torched twice by vandals. The house was considered unsafe and was reduced to its external ground floor walls. Pictured c.1900.

Then internally after looters had ransacked the place and finally all that is left of the building today. 

DBE6CB0B-4BB3-499C-A215-86F65301A3CB.jpeg

6F1C4EF4-E7DE-4B1E-AD48-9CC118EDDCD8.jpeg

536D9D55-98E9-4175-811C-4FDD92C32893.jpeg

8B19314F-B01D-4034-AE1C-D2CABFF501FA.jpeg

CC5637B1-2C94-42C1-85A1-9F2227842C25.jpeg

wentworth jambo
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211228_161638.jpg

Kenny’s barber and Halfway House mentioned above

Edited by wentworth jambo

wentworth jambo
2 hours ago, JWL said:

That's looking towards Hamilton Crescent with Fort Place going across the way. Spent many a penny buying Black Jacks and Fruit Salad chews in that corner shop.

Was the shop called “Ceily’s” or something like that…there was also a newsagent on the diagonally opposite corner….Robertson’s ???

6 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Was the shop called “Ceily’s” or something like that…there was also a newsagent on the diagonally opposite corner….Robertson’s ???

Yeah, Ceily's. One of her sons was a big Hearts fan and although he was 2 or 3 years older than me, we used to go to games together with another couple of Hearts fans from around the same area. Robertson's was indeed the newsagent across the road. There was also a potato merchant just a bit further along called Shades IIRC.

wentworth jambo
1 hour ago, JWL said:

Yeah, Ceily's. One of her sons was a big Hearts fan and although he was 2 or 3 years older than me, we used to go to games together with another couple of Hearts fans from around the same area. Robertson's was indeed the newsagent across the road. There was also a potato merchant just a bit further along called Shades IIRC.

Aye - Shades…and also round the corner in North Fort Street was Charlie’s sweet shop - next door to the old school

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I know where this is, but what's going on here ? 

It's a parade of some sort, there's a marching band behind the truck

broxburnjambo
16 hours ago, JWL said:

Ditto, great memories of the old place.