Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Scan_20211224 (2).jpg

4 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Scan_20211224.jpg

Last time I was there (maybe 5 years ago now) a guy called Graham worked on cars in one of those garages in the 1st pic and he certainly rented the one in the 2nd pic but just used it for storage. Same guy back then I wonder?

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, FORTHCLYDE said:

Scan_20211224 (2).jpg

I wonder what the folk who spray painted the door there, are up to these daya. Tosh & Des.  I'd love if somehow, it was someone on here.

18 hours ago, Pap said:

I wonder what the folk who spray painted the door there, are up to these daya. Tosh & Des.  I'd love if somehow, it was someone on here.

They are both alive and well, living in Boston MA. 

I'm not particularly proud of the fact that we were vandals back in the day, but it is what it was.

I'm Des, my mate Tam was Tosh, and Melville, from Melville Terrace, was the name of our half assed gang.

1 hour ago, Boston Jambo said:

They are both alive and well, living in Boston MA. 

I'm not particularly proud of the fact that we were vandals back in the day, but it is what it was.

I'm Des, my mate Tam was Tosh, and Melville, from Melville Terrace, was the name of our half assed gang.

:laugh: fair enough. When was this?

On 23/12/2021 at 23:50, Footballfirst said:

The previous year (1975), there was a crowd of 104,000 at the Scotland v Wales game which Scotland won 12-10 with Dougie Morgan and Ian McGeechan scoring the points.  I think the official capacity at the time was 80,000. There was probably that number in the ground an hour before kick-off.

I remember that day well. I caught the bus mid morning from Corstorphine heading for Haymarket to catch the train to Glasgow for our game at Ibrox. As the bus passed Murrayfield I remember think to myself that it was much busier than your average international day. There were thousands of Welsh supporters just loitering about and it was only about 10.30. Incidentally, we lost 2-1 with Rangers scoring in the last minute; I was gutted.

On 24/12/2021 at 08:03, Carl Fredrickson said:

That fits in with my memory. I think I went in once to look for football strips and it was full of other sports gear. 

It was Lilywhites, no football gear but great for badminton racquets, hockey sticks and the likes. You could also get tickets in Greaves Sports in George Street.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

On 23/12/2021 at 23:50, Footballfirst said:

The previous year (1975), there was a crowd of 104,000 at the Scotland v Wales game which Scotland won 12-10 with Dougie Morgan and Ian McGeechan scoring the points.  I think the official capacity at the time was 80,000. There was probably that number in the ground an hour before kick-off.

Was that the day when several Welsh fans weren't able to get in to Murrayfield, and came along to the Hearts Reserves game at Tynecastle ?  If so,  I was at the Reserves game - couldn't understand why a few hundred guys with red & white scarves had suddenly turned up. 🙄

2 hours ago, henryheart said:

I remember that day well. I caught the bus mid morning from Corstorphine heading for Haymarket to catch the train to Glasgow for our game at Ibrox. As the bus passed Murrayfield I remember think to myself that it was much busier than your average international day. There were thousands of Welsh supporters just loitering about and it was only about 10.30. Incidentally, we lost 2-1 with Rangers scoring in the last minute; I was gutted.

Cheers for posting this.

I was a member of Manor Hearts at the time and on that day we could hardly get into our own club because there were so many Welshmen drinking there. Being just off Haymarker it was one of the few places they could get in becuase it was incredibly busy that day. 

I had some mates who went to Murrayfiled and said they got through the turnstiles but never even saw the game because they couldn't get onto the terraces,  it was so tightly packed. 

Doctor FinnBarr
6 hours ago, henryheart said:

Can remember watching a twat family that lived round the corner from me at the time emerging from the house wearing tweed suits and tartan ties to go and watch the rugger.

45 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

From the Scott Monument in August 1969

E03644E3-C140-4BDE-A283-2A653AF2B02A.jpeg

I didn’t think those buses were around then always thought they appeared in the seventies

9 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I didn’t think those buses were around then always thought they appeared in the seventies

I’d say the cars all point to it being the 1960’s. The newest model I can see is a Vauxhall Victor estate and that body shape was released about 1968 I think. 

43 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’d say the cars all point to it being the 1960’s. The newest model I can see is a Vauxhall Victor estate and that body shape was released about 1968 I think. 

That’s what threw me , the cars are very much 60’s but I just presumed the bus that’s in the picture was from a later time , tbf I was only 2 at the time 😀

2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

That’s what threw me , the cars are very much 60’s but I just presumed the bus that’s in the picture was from a later time , tbf I was only 2 at the time 😀

Time to go full anorak. I recognised the bus as a Leyland Atlantean (I worked for LRT a long time ago) so checked when they were in service. They started making them in the 50’s and we’re still making them in the 80’s. 

24 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Time to go full anorak. I recognised the bus as a Leyland Atlantean (I worked for LRT a long time ago) so checked when they were in service. They started making them in the 50’s and we’re still making them in the 80’s. 

nothing anorak about having knowledge 👍🏻 I just have in my tiny mind the buses that you jumped on and off at the back and it being amazing getting on what I thought (wrongly) were new modern buses 

Maroon Sailor

That bus probably is from the 60s. Edinburgh had registered Atlanteans from 1965 (old C reg) in service.

Think the old Routemaster style was phased out early 70s - I can just remember having the old bus conductors and being captivated with the ticket machine even if I had no idea how they worked - just sounded good !

Edited by Maroon Sailor

31 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

nothing anorak about having knowledge 👍🏻 I just have in my tiny mind the buses that you jumped on and off at the back and it being amazing getting on what I thought (wrongly) were new modern buses 

That’ll be the Leyland Titan. LRT still had a few in service going into the 80’s. I remember getting the 1 to school in those late 70’s. Front engined as opposed to the rear engine buses that took over. 

31 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That bus probably is from the 60s. Edinburgh had registered Atlanteans from 1965 (old C reg) in service.

Think the old Routemaster style was phased out early 70s - I can just remember having the old bus conductors and being captivated with the ticket machine even if I had no idea how they worked - just sounded good !

The old ticket machines looked & sounded great.

Saw one in an antique shop the other day. Was sorely tempted.

image.png.b4e236667de6d4108f9f25c845c011b0.png

1 minute ago, felix said:

I used to have one, and a load of ticket rolls I “liberated” from LRT when I worked there as they were scrapping them. Absolutely beautiful precise pice of engineering. 

9 minutes ago, felix said:

I'm sure the Airport drivers were last to use them after LRT moved to one man operated buses.

13 minutes ago, felix said:

I moved back to Edinburgh in July, 1978 ... I only ever remember SMT buses having these with the conductors.  That's of course not to say that they still weren't being used on LRT buses.

Any advance on '78?

2 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I moved back to Edinburgh in July, 1978 ... I only ever remember SMT buses having these with the conductors.  That's of course not to say that they still weren't being used on LRT buses.

Any advance on '78?

Yes they were definitely being used for many years after 1978 by LRT Airport drivers. The Airport drivers would tally up their shift takings and place them into a chute-like vault in Annandale Street garage. Some Airport drivers would then play the puggies with their alleged skin 😮 which were handily placed next to the vault☺️

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20211227_154048.png

Looks like both types, I have mentioned it before, got the #2 bus at Parkside Terrace and Dalkeith Road. Sometimes a wee bit tardy and the driver would slow down so I could grab the rail at the platform, at the back/. One day going for afternoon shift I though he driver was going a wee bit fast but went for it anyway, I grabbed the post he accelerated I had one foot on the platform the other doing some sort of Brazilian dance step trying to get on, speed and gravity denying this simple objective, finally made it to Park Road bus stop where the bus did stop and I got on. The conductor a wee smirk on his face and me a grimace. First time for sure I experienced real life in the fast lane.

1 hour ago, felix said:

One of my Uncle's (now deceased) would have known exactly how one of those worked, he was a bus conductor with LRT.

22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One of my Uncle's (now deceased) would have known exactly how one of those worked, he was a bus conductor with LRT.

I know how they were worked too 🙂 as they were still occasionally used on some services during the 80's when LRT put out extra peak hour buses that didn't have the new ticket machines installed. 

36 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I wanted to be a bus conductor when I was a bairn.

I thought they looked cool the way they kept their balance standing in the aisle as the bus took a corner while all the time adjusting the dial and ringing off a ticket then scooping some change out of the wee satchel.

3 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

I thought they looked cool the way they kept their balance standing in the aisle as the bus took a corner while all the time adjusting the dial and ringing off a ticket then scooping some change out of the wee satchel.

Annie Boyle was one of the most famous conductresses in her day, she was well known to bus travellers in and around Edinburgh. A fiery wee character who I think came from Newhaven.

2 hours ago, Jambo314 said:

Yes they were definitely being used for many years after 1978 by LRT Airport drivers. The Airport drivers would tally up their shift takings and place them into a chute-like vault in Annandale Street garage. Some Airport drivers would then play the puggies with their alleged skin 😮 which were handily placed next to the vault☺️

Thanks but for the most part on regular city routes it was the drop yer coins into the slot with the driver set-up. We used to regularly visit friends out at Polton Mill back then late 70s and those machines fascianted me.

e: I see you've since mentioned they still used them into the 80s on some days where extra buses were needed.

Edited by ArcticJambo

Footballfirst
17 minutes ago, Janbo1874 said:

My mum was a clippie (or "Motor Omnibus Conductress" as it said on her marriage certificate) in Clydebank during WW2, not the safest location at the time.

Edited by Footballfirst

2 hours ago, felix said:

The earliest tickets i remember were the grey "Go By Bus" ones. Early 80s.

wJz1xYfmEGUQkKW3wTL5Au2ejkcMjU7HVQkzRiSJ

27 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Thanks but for the most part on regular city routes it was the drop yer coins into the slot with the driver set-up. We used to regularly visit friends out at Polton Mill back then late 70s and those machines fascianted me.

e: I see you've since mentioned they still used them into the 80s on some days where extra buses were needed.

Yes, after deregulation came into force in 1986 I think it was? LRT also put on bus routes outside the Edinburgh boundaries.  I'm sure it was the service 80 that they had going out to Polton Mill?

41 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

My mum was a clippie (or "Motor Omnibus Conductress" as it said on her marriage certificate) in Clydebank during WW2, not the safest location at the time.

Here's a fact for you FF did you know that your mum was actually in charge of the vehicle being the conductress and not the driver. I always found that rule very strange especially when conductors/conductresses  may not have even had a driving licence😬

17 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Yes, after deregulation came into force in 1986 I think it was? LRT also put on bus routes outside the Edinburgh boundaries.  I'm sure it was the service 80 that they had going out to Polton Mill?

Wasnt that a single decker bus?

1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Here's a fact for you FF did you know that your mum was actually in charge of the vehicle being the conductress and not the driver. I always found that rule very strange especially when conductors/conductresses  may not have even had a driving licence😬

Your mention of that brings back a vague memory  of being downstairs on  one of these "open platform" buses as a schoolboy, when some some kind of rumpus broke out at the top of the stairs.   The conductor didn't hold back - he ran up and started yelling at them about him being in charge, and if they wanted to avoid getting thrown off they'd have to sit down & keep quiet  or else he was going to stop the bus.    It seemed to work, iirc !!     👍

Worthing Jambo

Annie Boyle was one of the most famous conductresses in her day, she was well known to bus travellers in and around Edinburgh. A fiery wee character who I think came from Newhaven.

There was also Honest John on Eastern Scottish. Well known on the 52 to Balerno.

No messing about when John was on your bus.

The Real Maroonblood

Would that be the one who named all the adjacent streets to bus stops.

2 hours ago, Pap said:

You're younger than me :wink:

These were the tickets of my youth.

image.png.dd7fedd9737e919bf6f5fec8e1d49db9.png

2 hours ago, Pap said:

The square go by bus ones are still the best tasting ones they ever did. 😀