Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Can anyone explain what the boat is that's beached ?

Is it being repaired ? 

It’s well below high tide mark. Just beached instead of leaving it in the water. A pretty common site in a lot of smaller harbours. 

Footballfirst
Just now, Tazio said:

It’s well below high tide mark. Just beached instead of leaving it in the water. A pretty common site in a lot of smaller harbours. 

I don't know if he was referring to the small boat or the bigger boat further up the beach, which has trestles under the stern while it will be worked on

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I don't know if he was referring to the small boat or the bigger boat further up the beach, which has trestles under the stern while it will be worked on

Christ I didn’t even notice that. 
In which case definitely being worked on. 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

😄

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Christ I didn’t even notice that. 
In which case definitely being worked on. 

Like you, I didn't notice the bigger boat at first either. 🤣

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is it being repaired ? 

There was a shipbreakers at Granton harbour . The boat doesn't seem to have a propeller, so maybe it's being broken up.

kawasakijambo
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is it being repaired ? 

HMS Cambletown on a dry run?

On 20/07/2021 at 17:31, Maroon Sailor said:

20210720_173113.jpg.01b0772f9fcc5e789eb25da134aac335.jpg

What year was that? Pretty sure that was the score at one of the games I was at, very early 80's maybe. Andy Irvine era.

Jings! Wikipedia says 1976. Irvine with 2 pens and 2 conversions.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

Maroon Sailor
24 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

What year was that? Pretty sure that was the score at one of the games I was at, very early 80's maybe. Andy Irvine era.

I remember being at a match that finished Scotland 9-9 England.

Scotland put a late penalty between the posts

19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I remember being at a match that finished Scotland 9-9 England.

Scotland put a late penalty between the posts

I was at that game too, Irvine with the last kick of the ball from our own half. 1982.

3 mins 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/qCUSSudrMsY

Edited by Awbdy Oot

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I was at that game too, Irvine with the last kick of the ball from our own half. 1982.

3 mins 10 seconds.

https://youtu.be/qCUSSudrMsY

👍

I was right behind the posts for that kick - didn't realise it was from in his own half.

Some kick

broxburnjambo
On 31/08/2018 at 23:07, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_20180831_094727.jpg

My old house in the Fort. C91. That's my bedroom window, top left, very last window. Some fantastic memories of the old place. 

wentworth jambo
18 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Built 1962/63 demolished only 34 years later in 1997, obviously not built to last!

BBB8A39B-9932-4B3C-BA28-70054EC78D77.jpeg

My mate lived on 2nd top floor of Grampian House - put a glass of water on the window sill on a windy day and you could the water moving - we thought this was hilarious as kids....idiots.

wentworth jambo
2 hours ago, broxburnjambo said:

My old house in the Fort. C91. That's my bedroom window, top left, very last window. Some fantastic memories of the old place. 

I grew up in the Fort also BJ - was there until around 84/85....when were you there ?

broxburnjambo
Just now, wentworth jambo said:

I grew up in the Fort also BJ - was there until around 84/85....when were you there ?

I was there from the late 70's till 85. Great times.

wentworth jambo
1 minute ago, broxburnjambo said:

Must have known you then - there weren't many Jambos around the Fort at that point....C91 - your surname isn't Wallace, is it ?

broxburnjambo
3 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

Must have known you then - there weren't many Jambos around the Fort at that point....C91 - your surname isn't Wallace, is it ?

There is a clue in my member title.   😃😃

6 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

I was at that game,  right on the half way line and it was packed so much there was a tannoy announcement asking people to move away from that area as it was "absolutely choccers". 

15 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There was a shipbreakers at Granton harbour . The boat doesn't seem to have a propeller, so maybe it's being broken up.

👍

been here before
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Another for Bob, apparently Leith

E6108F6E-FA52-4B9D-B7EF-AAC371FFCF8E.jpeg

Salamander Street March 1940.

A 'blank' shell fire from a battery  on Inchkeith during an exercise involving firing shots over the bow of a friendly ship. One of the 1000lb shells wasnt as inert as thought, richoeted off the surface of the Forth, went through a factory and hit a house.

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Another for @bobsharp

54930BDB-0D87-469A-AE00-11E94D852458.jpeg

I was a regular in the Southside Police team when I served 1955 t0 1967. We were the first to get the black and white striped jerseys, and played in the Midweek Amateur League. We supplied our own shorts and socks. Our home ground was in Granton infront of the Gas Works. We did though play a lot of games at Nelsons Park. 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Salamander Street March 1940.

A 'blank' shell fire from a battery  on Inchkeith during an exercise involving firing shots over the bow of a friendly ship. One of the 1000lb shells wasnt as inert as thought, richoeted off the surface of the Forth, went through a factory and hit a house.

That’s a cracking piece of in-depth knowledge on that scene, were you there:lol:

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I was a regular in the Southside Police team when I served 1955 t0 1967. We were the first to get the black and white striped jerseys, and played in the Midweek Amateur League. We supplied our own shorts and socks. Our home ground was in Granton infront of the Gas Works. We did though play a lot of games at Nelsons Park. 

Bet you were the tough tackling driving force in the middle of the park Bob?

Footballfirst
7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I was at that game,  right on the half way line and it was packed so much there was a tannoy announcement asking people to move away from that area as it was "absolutely choccers". 

The previous year (1975), there was a crowd of 104,000 at the Scotland v Wales game which Scotland won 12-10 with Dougie Morgan and Ian McGeechan scoring the points.  I think the official capacity at the time was 80,000. There was probably that number in the ground an hour before kick-off.

10 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

My mate lived on 2nd top floor of Grampian House - put a glass of water on the window sill on a windy day and you could the water moving - we thought this was hilarious as kids....idiots.

9 hours ago, broxburnjambo said:

Kicked about The Fort and Grampian and Cairngorm House during the 70's and 80's. Some great characters kicked about and a right few nutters as well. Just something special about being a Hearts fan in amongst all those hibbys back then.

25 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The previous year (1975), there was a crowd of 104,000 at the Scotland v Wales game which Scotland won 12-10 with Dougie Morgan and Ian McGeechan scoring the points.  I think the official capacity at the time was 80,000. There was probably that number in the ground an hour before kick-off.

The day I chose not to go to Murrayfield and went with Manor Hearts to a very forgettable game.

7 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I was at that game, the only rugby match I've ever been to. Bought my ticket, along with a couple of pals from Napier, from a sports shop on Princes Street, £10 I think, and was around the half way line.

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Bet you were the tough tackling driving force in the middle of the park Bob?

I was a stay at home right back, known for my speed, it was rumored that my top speed was the lowest pace anyone had ever seen. There was while when a big strong center was part of the system and I done that for a while. I was so good and scored so few that one game in Granton even the opposing side when I scored on a breakaway clapped, more in humor than praise I must admit. I only had the goalie to beat and I blootered that ball so hard, there were no nets I bet it ended up around Newhaven. My father came to one of my games in Nelsons Park, when he came home my mother asked how was Roberts game, he replied I don't know he spent most of it on his arse. He played a few games for St Bernard, my mother wen to a few, and he got sent off every time. Wee red head who set out to prove that red heads were all hotheads. Played for a team here, was a striker here also, but as I was a bit older in my thirties, I had lost much of my speed, so I didnae last long.😂

been here before
6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That’s a cracking piece of in-depth knowledge on that scene, were you there:lol:

Owning copies of books like The Forth at War, Edinburghs War, 603 (City of Edinburgh): The Greatest Squadron of Them All, Inchkeith at War and The Peoples Army: The Home Guard in Scotland, tends to fill ones head with knowledge of such inidents.

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

I was at that game, the only rugby match I've ever been to. Bought my ticket, along with a couple of pals from Napier, from a sports shop on Princes Street, £10 I think, and was around the half way line.

This post has stirred a memory - was the sports shop Lillywhites?

I went to the rugby in the late 70s/early 80s when Andy Irvine and Bruce Hay were playing. Got tickets via my mums work. Bruce Hay was my dads apprentice at Bilston Glen. Only thing I can remember about the games was that the Scotland No 14 had the same name as me (which I wasnt aware of at the first game) as I kept turning around very time someone shouted his/my name

4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

This post has stirred a memory - was the sports shop Lillywhites?

I went to the rugby in the late 70s/early 80s when Andy Irvine and Bruce Hay were playing. Got tickets via my mums work. Bruce Hay was my dads apprentice at Bilston Glen. Only thing I can remember about the games was that the Scotland No 14 had the same name as me (which I wasnt aware of at the first game) as I kept turning around very time someone shouted his/my name

Can't remember the name of the shop, it was towards the West End though.

Carl Fredrickson
Just now, Lemongrab said:

Can't remember the name of the shop, it was towards the West End though.

That fits in with my memory. I think I went in once to look for football strips and it was full of other sports gear. 

broxburnjambo
9 hours ago, JWL said:

Kicked about The Fort and Grampian and Cairngorm House during the 70's and 80's. Some great characters kicked about and a right few nutters as well. Just something special about being a Hearts fan in amongst all those hibbys back then.

There really was some great characters,  I still have many friends from my days living in the Fort, unfortunately the are mostly hibbies, 

wentworth jambo
10 hours ago, JWL said:

So @JWL, @broxburnjambo and I have worked out between us who we are - are you going to gives us any clues as to who you are ? 😉