Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Just now, 3fingersreid said:

That means there’s a lot of buildings on top of a stream 😃

I hope it has all have been filled in.  Just thought though, the mill stream is probably why the weir was built there in the first place; to build up a head of water to feed the stream.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor

Apparently Edinburgh Academicals is the oldest boys cricket club in Scotland

C8_kE8KXUAIueYE.jpg.845be96ab0f06497d66b21ec5e3f9a9c.jpg

3fingersreid
17 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I hope it has all have been filled in.  Just thought though, the mill stream is probably why the weir was built there in the first place; to build up a head of water to feed the stream.

It’s definitely still flowing out into the water of leith at balgreen ( to be fair it’s usually just a small trickle ) 

Just clarify though , when you say weir you really mean the Niagara Falls at Fords Road /Gorgie Rd 😀😀

25 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Are they those row of houses above the rugby posts ?

20210109_201356.jpg.cf2d2b9b902328c62efad50eef85a290.jpg

I'd say so.

16 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Piped in late 70s early 80s. Residents in Westfield Court complained about the amount of rats in it. Remember it well. The BT building was a glue factory, it then went past between a builder's merchant and the Roxy bingo then round back of Westfield court and down the side of pentland laundry which became IS initial laundry. Which had an air raid shelter where Wickes car park is then out the back of the iron foundry (new houses) into the water of leith

36 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I don't think its Boroughmuir there seems to be three colors in those jerseys, Borougmuir if I remember were navy blue with a green hoop, or green with a navy hoop. These seem to have a third light color, if white it could be a FP shirt rather than a sc hool shirt

Yes, I only realy went for Boroughmuir as a possibility (from the 40s) but definitely looks more SM. or possibly Stirling County. Dunno, really.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, BMC 12 said:

Piped in late 70s early 80s. Residents in Westfield Court complained about the amount of rats in it. Remember it well. The BT building was a glue factory, it then went past between a builder's merchant and the Roxy bingo then round back of Westfield court and down the side of pentland laundry which became IS initial laundry. Which had an air raid shelter where Wickes car park is then out the back of the iron foundry (new houses) into the water of leith

👍🏻

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Apparently Edinburgh Academicals is the oldest boys cricket club in Scotland

C8_kE8KXUAIueYE.jpg.845be96ab0f06497d66b21ec5e3f9a9c.jpg

Played them. Worst tea I’ve ever had. Plus a ****ing Australian tried to injure me. Rhythms with pine needle. .  

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Heriots v Edinburgh Accies late 1940's

Where would this match been played at ? Goldenacre ?

20210109_092425.jpg.78fada4b34d9c2d2d184e887a9b48092.jpg

Looking at the guy far right of picture : you can make out 3 colours on the shirt & I'm pretty sure it's Daniel Stewarts' - before the merger with Melville College.

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Looking at the guy far right of picture : you can make out 3 colours on the shirt & I'm pretty sure it's Daniel Stewarts' - before the merger with Melville College.

I think you're right

Found another picture of the same team and it's annotated as a Stewart's Melville player about to kick the ball

2384087425.jpg.74b93836ed469780a225a7d79be53d06.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

luckyBatistuta
12 hours ago, jb102 said:

I think that might be Arboretum 

12 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

👍North Park Terrace in the background.

Janbo is correct 

55032058-EFF6-4E45-B489-8AE062599393.jpeg

13 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

That's the filming of Chariots of Fire at Stew melvilles Ferry Road ground.

I thought Chariots of Fire was filmed at Goldenacre. I was told that they had to take the TV aerials down from the flats on the north side of the ground while filming.

22 minutes ago, inspector said:

I thought Chariots of Fire was filmed at Goldenacre. I was told that they had to take the TV aerials down from the flats on the north side of the ground while filming.

They filmed at both venues, I believe.  Probably to simulate different athletic meets, and cut down on production costs at the same time, I'm guessing.

20 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

Although it was the dark side there were plenty of Jambo’s who worked there and Charlie being one of them.

A wee update for you. I contacted my mate last night and he confirmed that his dad never worked at Bothwell St, but that his grandad, one Charlie Hogg did. He also lived in Bothwell St, just across the road from his work, so not much of a commute for Charlie.

As you stated, Charlie was a jambo, as was his son Alec and his grandson (my mate) John. A surprising amount of Abbeyhill residents that I knew were jambos, given the proximity to Easter Road.

Edited by argyjambo
Adding material

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

A wee update for you. I contacted my mate last night and he confirmed that his dad never worked at Bothwell St, but that his grandad, one Charlie Hogg did. He also lived in Bothwell St, just across the road from his work, so not much of a commute for Charlie.

As you stated, Charlie was a jambo, as was his son Alec and his grandson (my mate) John. A surprising amount of Abbeyhill residents that I knew were jambos, given the proximity to Easter Road.

That’s correct about Charlie staying across the road.

A wee story. Charlie gave me his 1956 Scottish Cup Final programme.

Sadly when I left home to get married my bloody mother threw out all my programmes including that one.

Never forgave her and still annoys me to this day.

Charlie was a gentleman.

It’s a small world.

1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

My brother Bill started an apprenticeship with Andrew Whyte the stationers in 1965 I think.

4 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

They filmed at both venues, I believe.  Probably to simulate different athletic meets, and cut down on production costs at the same time, I'm guessing.

Only Heriots' ground gets  a mention on the film location website I looked at. There was another venue (in/around Liverpool* , I think) but only one in Edinburgh. 

* To simulate the Olympics games just before the war. 

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Only Heriots' ground gets  a mention on the film location website I looked at. There was another venue (in/around Liverpool* , I think) but only one in Edinburgh. 

* To simulate the Olympics games just before the war. 

The original picture quoted was definitely SM's (or EdinAcademy, I'm not sure tbqh) ground off Ferry Road.  Anyway, here's a website that references it: https://www.movie-locations.com/movies/c/Chariots-Of-Fire.php

Inverleith, in Edinburgh, is the rugby ground where Liddell preaches to the crowd after the Scotland-Ireland meet, while the Scotland-France International was shot at Goldenacre, the grounds of Heriot’s Rugby Club on Bangholm Terrace in Edinburgh.

I remember seeing it all decked out from the top deck of the bus many yrs ago.

Had a wee look for more info and found a FB post from a good Jambo and friend, who sadly passed last year. RIP, Ian.

was also filmed at Stewarts Melville ground in Ferry Road, the scene where Liddle prays before a race. Crewe Toll Fire Station red watch provided " the rain "

53 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1_Commonwealth-Games-1970.jpg.0348269a36655e411ae332d6e75641b4.jpg

Lachie Stewart 10,000 mtrs gold medal winner 1970 Commonwealth games Meadowbank Stadium remember it well🙂

J.T.F.Robertson
22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Valli

Not that I'm a big fan of Frankie Vaughan or anything 😨 but I doubt Frankie Valli ever saw the inside of LTH.

Love this thread, btw.

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Not that I'm a big fan of Frankie Vaughan or anything 😨 but I doubt Frankie Valli ever saw the inside of LTH.

Love this thread, btw.

It probably is Frankie Vaughan as he is minus four seasons !

Can't say I know much about either of them but looks like I've got my Frankies mixed up 😆

Edited by Maroon Sailor

J.T.F.Robertson
7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It probably is Frankie Vaughan as he is minus four seasons !

Ach, nomarra! Just wondered when I first looked at your pic.