• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wentworth jambo
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

How long ago. My granny and grandad lived in the stair right by the bus stop where you would have caught your number 14 home.

Jesus @John Findlay - just about 30 years ago and she lived in the same stair by the bus stop - top flat

1 minute ago, wentworth jambo said:

Jesus @John Findlay - just about 30 years ago and she lived in the same stair by the bus stop - top flat

Phew, my Granny and grandad were bottom left as you walked in the stairs. I only asked as my cousin Linda lived my grandparents.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Clearly the photo is of the bus as that wouldn’t have been a bus in service going by the registration letter on the taxi. 

Everything in the pic is too modern for that bus, must have been there for some other reason.

15 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Everything in the pic is too modern for that bus, must have been there for some other reason.

The bus is currently in the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum in Fife.  It's a 1948 Guy Arab MkIII, apparently, so with the sign towards the back of the bus, it's probably travelling to or from some exhibition.

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210112_151118.jpg.ed61624ee669fb42de4d5d5ced82d8a4.jpg

I remember this being a motorbike shop.

Pitstop I think it was called 72/3?

Maroon Sailor

Strange how those houses on Baird Drive stop going in a straight line in the middle of that row. Must have been a reason for that. Looks like shops on the Balgreen Road side too

image.png.f00a7e61da3161194062af82e8c1f609.png

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Strange how those houses on Baird Drive stop going in a straight line in the middle of that row. Must have been a reason for that. Looks like shops on the Balgreen Road side too

image.png.f00a7e61da3161194062af82e8c1f609.png

Do you mean the triangular building?  That's the Co-op on Saughtonhall Road.

2 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

January 1978

B6292D1D-9DAF-442E-BE7C-DF0FB0A83B8D.jpeg

Still a gap site on google street view.Wellington Place I think.

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Do you mean the triangular building?  That's the Co-op on Saughtonhall Road.

Has that always been the Co-op ? 

Just looks like there are shop entrances on the Balgreen Road side  Might not be

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

The bus is currently in the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum in Fife.  It's a 1948 Guy Arab MkIII, apparently, so with the sign towards the back of the bus, it's probably travelling to or from some exhibition.

Is that museum still someplace to the west of Kelty? Went to a bike rally there 20 odd years ago, they done us the favour of taking us into Dunfy on the Saturday in a double decker.

And then sending a 48 seater back for about 70 odd folks, we managed.

Up until this point I had no idea what Yogi and BooBoo were into and as for Susie????

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

2 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I've got no idea what "pop star" that actually is, I'm just guessing its a pop star.

Erm, it’s Bob Dylan. 

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Has that always been the Co-op ? 

Just looks like there are shop entrances on the Balgreen Road side  Might not be

There's only the one entrance on Balgreen Road, where the delivery door is now.  It was built some time in the early 30s and this pics from 1937.  If you screw your eyes up, and believe, you can make out the St Cuthberts sign. :D 

coop.jpg

3 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Is that museum still someplace to the west of Kelty? Went to a bike rally there 20 odd years ago, they done us the favour of taking us into Dunfy on the Saturday in a double decker.

And then sending a 48 seater back for about 70 odd folks, we managed.

Up until this point I had no idea what Yogi and BooBoo were into and as for Susie????

Yes, it's still there. 

Christ, I've got that song going on in my head now. Thanks a bunch. :( :D 

Doctor FinnBarr
19 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Yes, it's still there. 

Christ, I've got that song going on in my head now. Thanks a bunch. :( :D 

Theres a bird right over there, big tits,long hair, theres a bird right over there with big tits and long hair, must be Dani Behr

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Doctor FinnBarr
4 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Theres a bird right over there, big tits,long hair, theres a bird right over there with big tits and long hair, must be Dani Behr

Suzie she likes whips and chains kinky, kinky

Maroon Sailor
9 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There's only the one entrance on Balgreen Road, where the delivery door is now.  It was built some time in the early 30s and this pics from 1937.  If you screw your eyes up, and believe, you can make out the St Cuthberts sign. :D 

coop.jpg

Thanks for that. Only ever knew the entrance to be on the Saughtonhall Road side but it looked like there was a door or doors on the Balgreen Road side at one point.

19 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Princes Street.

I think the Royal Hotel might have been the one that was the American Servicemens Club in Princes Street WW2. It was a gold mine for us "any gum chum beggars" sometimes had to settle for candies instead of gum, it was a hard life.

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210113_151857.jpg

Dalkeith Road at Lutton Place, in the 1939/40 era it became Stonehouses Licensed Grocer. Their son went into the Navy at start of WW2 and died in action at sea, his name is in the Book at Edinburgh Castle. Nelsons at the top of the picture, and that should be the entrance to Ushers Brewery between the Church and the Castle of Clouts. Interesting corner for my age group. Canters on the back of lorries coming out of Ushers, Band of Hope at the church, and Mrs Craigies wee shop for lemonade and sweeties next to the pub, head in the door of the Castle and boy voiced shouts of "your beers made o' water". Not only is it early in the morning when I am typing this, but the area was part of the early part of my life.

joondalupjambo
6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210112_211717.jpg

Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.

When it was John Watson's school I played my first ever school cricket game there on that very patch of grass.   I played for Trinity and took a wicket in my first over.  Think the batsman must have been single fish cos I was no cricketer.  

14 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.

When it was John Watson's school I played my first ever school cricket game there on that very patch of grass.   I played for Trinity and took a wicket in my first over.  Think the batsman must have been single fish cos I was no cricketer.  

At least you played for a decent school. 

joondalupjambo
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

At least you played for a decent school. 

Fee paying by the way, Mum was fuming, five pounds a term in the late 60's :laugh2: