• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

image.png.dcd898eb5c848791f7de8e9a29311ca9.png

20210111_203051.thumb.jpg.7f0e6bd62eb7eaee987c3604a050c94a.jpg

Yeah, no idea when they were knocked down, but I have no recollection of them. Just so many flats everywhere around that area we’re knocked down.

2 hours ago, argyjambo said:

the old Cairns bar, part of the brewery complex at croft-an righ, under the railway bridge at the foot of Abbey mount,  at one time run by Pat Stanton.

I used to drink in there probably around 1980, there was a pool table upstairs.

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210111_143457.jpg

Im thinking that P.R. Barrett was a Plumber’s shop. Peter Barrett the son was my lecturer at Telford College for Heating and Ventilation. Great teacher but his only fault was he was a ardent Hibs supporter. Monday mornings we could always side track him by talking about the game on Saturdays. 

Edited by Boy Daniel
his

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

image.png.dcd898eb5c848791f7de8e9a29311ca9.png

20210111_203051.thumb.jpg.7f0e6bd62eb7eaee987c3604a050c94a.jpg

That''s the other side of Abbey mount from where the pub was. You can see top left, a building that was originally a police station. In more recent years it was an Armenian restaurant with a very unpredictable owner.

13 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

So it may well have been Turkish Baths

From The Scotsman 1828.  From other articles, it looks like seawater baths was their main thing. 

baths.jpg

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201216_085517.png.7db7700be5d0724b3eee4a2c0852c972.png

Top of easter road, before the junction with montrose terrace, Abbeymount & Regent road. Looking down the hill to lomdon road church and an old school which was a techie training place known as Regent Road Institute.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, obua said:

That’s the wrong side of the road, it was on the right coming from the other direction.

image.png.0caf3d5093c735a7a3bab02f1a1aadb7.png

20210111_204555.thumb.jpg.e84264c2f3dbe8d718b1612136f442fb.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

From The Scotsman 1828.  From other articles, it looks like seawater baths was their main thing. 

baths.jpg

Be interesting to see what that looked like inside.

Note that there were servants apartments

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, obua said:

👍

🤣

Weird how it could have been from both sides of the bridge - it was the railings that done me !

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Be interesting to see what that looked like inside.

Note that there were servants apartments

Apparently the Turkish baths were in the basement of the building and the rest was holiday accommodation amazingly. 

What is the significance of the wee rectangle with a cross inside it? I recall asking about this a year or so ago, but got no response. I'd appreciate knowing what it means.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

What is the significance of the wee rectangle with a cross inside it? I recall asking about this a year or so ago, but got no response. I'd appreciate knowing what it means.

What picture is that ?

41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

🤣

Weird how it could have been from both sides of the bridge - it was the railings that done me !

This one.

1 hour ago, argyjambo said:

If you mean on posts on here, it's probably because someone has posted an emoji that your device doesn't support. If you're that interested, you could test that by copying and pasting the symbol into the search bar here,  http://getemoji.com/  and it'll show you what emoji you missed.

12 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yep think so but not for long because he moved to Hawick not long after he joined the Fire Brigade.  I grew up with him from age of 5, we lived in the same street and we started going to the games together at the same time, traveled on the same supporters buses, drank with him et al up until he moved to Hawick and i left for a job in England.   Sessions and Youngy two words that defo went together.  It will be nearly a year since he passed, sad.

Aye, that Dumbarton Corporate, etc weekender during the 14/15 Championship season was a session & a half. Ending the evening in the Waverley Bar with the landlord was just the job.  :jambobanana:

On 10/01/2021 at 17:54, Maroon Sailor said:

This must be Goldenacre

20210110_175333.jpg.ee621e24f2e62a98fb31b2ae3d79652b.jpg

The structure on left of pic was a facade built over the relatively new (ie 1970s) club house just for the duration of filming. 

6 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

If you mean on posts on here, it's probably because someone has posted an emoji that your device doesn't support. If you're that interested, you could test that by copying and pasting the symbol into the search bar here,  http://getemoji.com/  and it'll show you what emoji you missed.

Thanks Lemongrab.

Edited by argyjambo
Spelling

17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Me neither - trying to work out what it was called 

Just noticed Argy said Cairns Bar

Was the Volunteer Arms way back in the 1890s

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Was the Volunteer Arms way back in the 1890s

Jeez, you're older than I thought Stuart

21 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

image.png.0144c03db8f71a705a09cf74c076de58.png

20210111_172639.thumb.jpg.4de1e3e079f70efb033d747f8e8d2e59.jpg

Boozer on the left up the lane was I was a young beau was known as the Rag Doll if I recall.The night I learned the ramifications of a  quarter gill shop.Buckled by eight.

9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Balgreen Halt - not sure where that was in Balgreen

20210112_145011.jpg.9ac32a051ae1ef7814c41d8ca06e36a9.jpg

Up where the tram stop is now, by the Jenners Depository. Murrayfield is somewhere on the left behind the station buildings.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

Up where the tram stop is now, by the Jenners Depository. Murrayfield is somewhere on the left behind the station buildings.

Trying to think what that street is

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Trying to think what that street is

I've got it now - the train is heading towards Haymarket

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

I've got it now - the train is heading towards Haymarket

👍 

Balgreen Road cuts under the tracks, past the house to the left of the station which is on the corner of Balgreen Road/Baird Drive.

50 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Visionhire- a blast from the past

20210111_183820.thumb.jpg.bbb12a573e67e5754549d4f231f0cff5.jpg

My parents had a TV from Radio Rentals. Great folks nae class. 😃

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

👍

Balgreen Road cuts under the tracks, past the house to the left of the station which is on the corner of Balgreen Road/Baird Drive.

SC01258136.jpg.3101fdfd93d973b18d2a1248a9350d12.jpg

image.png

Edited by Maroon Sailor

wentworth jambo
On 08/01/2021 at 16:40, Tazio said:

Hang on. You’re right and I’m talking pish. Getting confused with them stopping it going along Pilrig Street. 

I think you might have something there @Tazio...a long time ago, I was seeing a wee dirty that lived at the bottom of Crewe Road North in Granton and I distinctly remember I used to be able to get a 14 bus home (I lived in Newhaven) and it used to go down Ferry Road, along Craighall Road and Stanley Road where I'd get off, before continuing on Newhaven Road and onto Pilrig Street

wentworth jambo
On 09/01/2021 at 09:27, Maroon Sailor said:

Heriots v Edinburgh Accies late 1940's

Where would this match been played at ? Goldenacre ?

20210109_092425.jpg.78fada4b34d9c2d2d184e887a9b48092.jpg

Looks more like Raeburn Place @Maroon Sailor, especially as Heriot's appear to be in an "away" kit

Edit : looking at it again, that strip looks lore like the red, yellow and black of Stewarts Melville than Heriots, so it could be Raeburn Place or Ferry Road

Edited by wentworth jambo

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

👍

Yeah we got there in the end

Edinburgh Accies v Stewarts Melville at Raeburn Place

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

Presumably the Scottish National Exhibition in 1908.

👍

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Visionhire- a blast from the past

20210111_183820.thumb.jpg.bbb12a573e67e5754549d4f231f0cff5.jpg

Clearly the photo is of the bus as that wouldn’t have been a bus in service going by the registration letter on the taxi. 

1 hour ago, wentworth jambo said:

I think you might have something there @Tazio...a long time ago, I was seeing a wee dirty that lived at the bottom of Crewe Road North in Granton and I distinctly remember I used to be able to get a 14 bus home (I lived in Newhaven) and it used to go down Ferry Road, along Craighall Road and Stanley Road where I'd get off, before continuing on Newhaven Road and onto Pilrig Street

How long ago. My granny and grandad lived in the stair right by the bus stop where you would have caught your number 14 home.

2 hours ago, jb102 said:

Boozer on the left up the lane was I was a young beau was known as the Rag Doll if I recall.The night I learned the ramifications of a  quarter gill shop.Buckled by eight.

Called the Good Brothers Wine Bar previously was 

MacAndrew Bar

Rag Doll

MacAndrew Bar

Avoca