Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Tazio said:

I agree, that photo will be from roughly where the cycle speedway track used to be and is now houses. The top picture is the length of cycle path from D Mains to Craigleith looking towards Craigleith I’d say. 

Think its taken from silverknowes neuk wester drylaw drive on the left 

1 minute ago, butch said:

Think its taken from silverknowes neuk wester drylaw drive on the left 

Silverknowes Neuk is built roughly on the ground the speedway track used to be on. 

Just now, Tazio said:

Silverknowes Neuk is built roughly on the ground the speedway track used to be on. 

Just about to correct myself its wester drylaw row at the telford road bridge 

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201230_211000.thumb.jpg.ee2f2905eabaf15a9dfd162472852af6.jpg

Interesting to see the policeman with an upside down stripe on his arm, I have never seen that before, generally as in the military it is a sign of two years good conduct, surely for a policeman that wouldn't have to be acknowledged with a stripe but is expected.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Interesting to see the policeman with an upside down stripe on his arm, I have never seen that before, generally as in the military it is a sign of two years good conduct, surely for a policeman that wouldn't have to be acknowledged with a stripe but is expected.

4, 8 and 12 years for Royal Navy good conduct badges.

It didn't take much for 'Jack' to fall foul of Navy Regs as well. They'd get you on something if they couldn't get you for the charge initially against you !

39 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Service stripes were still in use in the 1930's, however they gradually ceased being issued but those who could wear them were allowed to continue to do so, when they retired the practice died out.

Here is a website you might find of interest Bob, on this page there are two photo's of policemen with their service strips.

https://british-police-history.uk/f/liverpool-city

There is also a section on Edinburgh City Police.

https://british-police-history.uk/f/edinburgh

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

46 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Service stripes were still in use in the 1930's, however they gradually ceased being issued but those who could wear them were allowed to continue to do so, when they retired the practice died out.

Here is a website you might find of interest Bob, on this page there are two photo's of policemen with their service strips.

https://british-police-history.uk/f/liverpool-city

There is also a section on Edinburgh City Police.

https://british-police-history.uk/f/edinburgh

Its amazing that at no time training etc were I ever exposed to the presence of these records and stories. I have to go through them more thoroughly there is one page with albums that includes up to 1975 i don't seem to be able to advance them but will try. One interesting picture of recruits in 1933, a variety of shapes and sizes, some of these men could have still been serving when I joined. 

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Think this a great thread of old Edinburgh and have been following it for a while. 

Was this speedway like Edinburgh Monarchs ride? When we stayed in Edinburgh dad used watch speedway but never heard him mention tracks other than Meadowbank, Powderhall, and the Armadale.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Regent Road

20210102_134651.png.facb6cd7decaa5e803d2b030aa1438e1.png

Wish that was still there ☹️ Would look incredible.

Semple Street looking towards Morrison Street

20210102_134717.jpg.e66ce3ae45bd7c6cc0b3dfc5d99be7ca.jpg

Great photo, looks really narrow 

10 minutes ago, Sykes said:

Think this a great thread of old Edinburgh and have been following it for a while. 

Was this speedway like Edinburgh Monarchs ride? When we stayed in Edinburgh dad used watch speedway but never heard him mention tracks other than Meadowbank, Powderhall, and the Armadale.

Ah, I should have been more specific. It was bicycle speedway. Quite a popular hobby for a while, I remember another track at Bonnington Park as well. They were pretty much unused for organised events by the time I remember them.  

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, Sykes said:

83402083-238B-4A2B-8AC6-538EDBB1DEF9.jpeg

B3809A84-7B70-4D6A-B46A-0C70B5399E9E.jpeg

1470B6B8-9791-4B9B-B10B-26E87511290C.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The D Mains speedway in the 60’s 

D7233E2A-B9AC-4062-B8F9-BABCCADA0270.jpeg

Strange that it was Granton griffin's that raced there 

1 minute ago, butch said:

Yep. I certainly don’t mind there being a track anywhere in Granton when I was a kid or even any talk of there having been one. We used to cycle along to D Mains and muck around in that one when were in the mood as it was nice and quiet and not in a multi use park like the Bonnington one. 

12 minutes ago, butch said:

So after a bit of digging the track was called Griffin Park. And the other track I spoke about is still in use by Edinburgh Falcons cycle speedway club, but the park is called Redbrae Park not Bonnington as I though. 

1 hour ago, Sykes said:

I think he meant literally cycle speedway. I would think about 1949/1950 with the arrival of the Monarchs speedway team kids who could not afford motor cycles joined cycle speedway teams. We pedalled our hearts out on bicycles made to look like proper speedway motor bikes. big handlebars etc. I was lucky I worked in a garage in 1950 and my boss was a speedway fan and helped me alter my bike. I was a member of the Redford Diamonds, I could get to our track but had no idea then, and still don't now know where the hell it was.  I know the man of the moment was named Billy Haldane, I had now reached the mature age of sixteen and moved on from bike riding of that sort anyway, bought myself a brand new Dawes racer, and got into long distance runs and girls. There were tracks in most districts in Edinburgh at one time as the sport got bigger and bikes already made could be purchased.

20210102_182342.jpg

Spent many a hour skiving from Foresters round there.

Do Nothing by the The Specials and I could be back there in the library killing time.

Never made it to Napier though I got job and a life😁

Edited by Janbo1874
Missed a to

N Lincs Jambo

Love this thread. Great seeing all the photos of my home city which I sadly moved away from 40 years ago. Many thanks especially to all of you who have uploaded photos 👍

11 minutes ago, Hook said:

👍Used to be a short cut into the back of the old Tynie annexe.

Attended the annexed in 1986.