• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yeah it is him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Barnie

Got a street in Portobello named after him

I've lived in Portobello/ Joppa for 25 of the last 38 years and have never heard of a street named after auld Ned. Can you tell me where it is? I knew ned''s son -in -law and, by association, ned's daughter and grandchildren. In fact Neds daughter is still alive, but now a very old lady.

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

I've lived in Portobello/ Joppa for 25 of the last 38 years and have never heard of a street named after auld Ned. Can you tell me where it is? I knew ned''s son -in -law and, by association, ned's daughter and grandchildren. In fact Neds daughter is still alive, but now a very old lady.

20201230_175549.thumb.jpg.e1337355c18827a102e65bbabf4e1a43.jpg

54 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Thanks for sharing Stuart as I've never seen the video👍

The Pieman in a rare act of benevolence allowed fans into the Main Stand to watch the main beam being raised into place on the Wheatfield Stand.

Never even charged to get in either.

I sacked a day off work to watch it.

22 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Swimming the Forth - Granton to Burntisland

516711127_b25lY21zOjkxMzU1OWZhLWQ3MzItNGRmNi1iNGU0LTk4ODY1NjhiNDg5ZjplYjQzOTMxZS0wMjhiLTRhNWUtODE5MC00ZWZhNjRmOTkyYzA.jpg.e8cc198919739db272116184fa4764c9.jpg

A friend of mine's uncle Martin Bendix used to do that swim he was coach at Leith ASC. 

terry-nutkins-and-children-1995.jpg

The Calders, 1995 - Terry Nutkins helping the kids plant trees.  :lol:

Edited by ArcticJambo

been here before
11 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

terry-nutkins-and-children-1995.jpg

The Calders, 1995 - Terry Nutkins helping the kids plant trees.  :lol:

Im no sure you could call it the Calders as its on the Westburn side of the pitches.... but then its the Calders side of the woods.

Probably best described as no mans land.

Or is it a wee bit further west past the woods?

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Im no sure you could call it the Calders as its on the Westburn side of the pitches.... but then its the Calders side of the woods.

Probably best described as no mans land.

Or is it a wee bit further west past the woods?

Your neck of the woods obviously, just got it from a site (with description) and loved the picture, more than anything.

luckyBatistuta

Braidburn Valley looking towards Comiston Farm (Pentlands in background) 1920

McNeil Street 1924

9C62FF3B-272A-46E0-A63E-35686C5445AA.jpeg

98EC3C28-93AD-4BE7-857E-A003351209DB.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Janbo1874 said:

Bonfire

Grassmarket

20201231_183429.jpg

Think that might be my gran leaning out of the window on the first floor flat of Castle Wynd South

N Lincs Jambo
On 29/12/2020 at 15:32, Sharpie said:

Its amazing in a way when you read items on this thread, and as have I reached high senior years just how different everything is in these days compared to your own. People, places, things we do by rote are completely changed. Things, such as electric irons, radios in cars, phones you can carry with you all different, in fifty years someone may even say something like, in the old days when we had things called web pages I remember a real old man talking about how dramatic the changes were in his life, he has been gone for a long time now, but I can remember what he said then, and I am experiencing it now.  I guess it happens to us all as time progresses.

You’re not wrong Bob. My own father died 42 years ago when I was 15. If I could bring him back for a day now and he was to ask me what I was doing, I can imagine the skelping I would have got if I told him I was watching the football on my phone 😂

On 28/12/2020 at 17:14, luckyBatistuta said:

Coronation Day street parties at Dumbiedykes 1953

8BBCE065-D617-4683-8C60-043C428F7BA5.jpeg

The Greens

1191852A-7688-4AD8-AC42-752788E198E2.jpeg

The Brickies

F3D0CADE-0340-405B-A036-D8995E2D2835.jpeg

Hen’s Dyke

Coronation party Dumbiedykes 1953, Frances Bell, Elizabeth Bell, John Bell and George McCutcheon, ( my Aunt, Mother, Uncle and Uncle) I believe they all went to James Clark school.

On 30/12/2020 at 13:54, Sharpie said:

One of them the older man looks like Ned Barnie. A Portobello teacher who done a lot of swimming events.

As much as it can be, I'd like to wish you a Happy New  Year Bob (Sharpie), and ask if you had ever come across my grandfather, John 'Jock' Bell, originally from Boness moved onto Greenside, and then finally the Dumbiedykes, he had a brother Andrew, my grandpa was a Blacksmith and ornamental iron worker, who had workshops in both the Grassmarket and the Lawnmarket circa 50s/80s,  was a big Jambo, and law abiding citizen 👀😁, I just wondered if you knew or recollect him? 

7 minutes ago, corkie64 said:

As much as it can be, I'd like to wish you a Happy New  Year Bob (Sharpie), and ask if you had ever come across my grandfather, John 'Jock' Bell, originally from Boness moved onto Greenside, and then finally the Dumbiedykes, he had a brother Andrew, my grandpa was a Blacksmith and ornamental iron worker, who had workshops in both the Grassmarket and the Lawnmarket circa 50s/80s,  was a big Jambo, and law abiding citizen 👀😁, I just wondered if you knew or recollect him? 

Sorry no neither name rings a bell, but saying that I met many nice people with whom there was never really any need to know their name, it was a hello, nice day sort of thing. even the railway men whom on night shift I helped them by being their alarm clock for their ridiculously early wake up call. If I saw them on the street I wouldn't even know them.

2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Sorry no neither name rings a bell, but saying that I met many nice people with whom there was never really any need to know their name, it was a hello, nice day sort of thing. even the railway men whom on night shift I helped them by being their alarm clock for their ridiculously early wake up call. If I saw them on the street I wouldn't even know them.

Thanks for your reply Bob, and with your job I can understand the countless people you met over the years,  God bless Sharpie and all the best for 2021 👍

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, corkie64 said:

Coronation party Dumbiedykes 1953, Frances Bell, Elizabeth Bell, John Bell and George McCutcheon, ( my Aunt, Mother, Uncle and Uncle) I believe they all went to James Clark school.

Woohoo, love it. Had you seen these pictures before, or was this a bit of a shock to see them?

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

West Bow, Bow Head House

Seen so many different images of this corner, has changed appearance so many times over the years. I hadn’t seen this one through, good find👍

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta

The Embers band (never heard of them) in Pete Seaton’s music shop on Hope Park Terrace in 1965

42B7CC88-5F6C-4228-80FC-78845921D72F.jpeg

BF771028-871A-4FE3-A3B5-B3C1D6D47ED2.jpeg

30 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Woohoo, love it. Had you seen these pictures before, or was this a bit of a shock to see them?

Yeah, I had seen them before, but still a pleasant surprise to see them on kickback 😍 

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Seen so many different images of this corner, has changed appearance so many times over the years. I hadn’t seen this one through, good find👍

Cheers, there are 119 images in collections of Edinburgh Libraries and Museums and Galleries. Fill your boots

https://www.capitalcollections.org.uk/view-item?key=SnsiUCI6eyJpdGVtaWQiOjMxNDY2LCJwZXJjZW50VGVybXNUb01hdGNoIjoiMC42IiwibWF4UXVlcnlUZXJtcyI6IjIwIiwibWluRG9jRnJlcSI6IjEiLCJtaW5UZXJtRnJlcSI6IjEifSwiRiI6ImV5SjBJanBiTVYxOSJ9&pg=8&WINID=1609534665451#-NDCIrbVsFAAAAF2vvne3w/3833

Head of the West Bow - Edinburgh

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, corkie64 said:

Yeah, I had seen them before, but still a pleasant surprise to see them on kickback 😍 

Must have been😁 I’m hoping someone spots a parent in one of these. I think I found an old school photo of my dad the other night. I emailed him it and he thinks it’s him😱

44 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Cheers pal👍 I’ve not been able to view quite a few of your pictures over the last day🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Description says Davidson's Mains

Davidson's Mains, EdinburghDavidson's Mains, Edinburgh

It will be after the rail tracks were lifted. That is now the cycle path. 

37 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It will be after the rail tracks were lifted. That is now the cycle path. 

That’s silverknowes road curving at the right hand side. 

14 minutes ago, obua said:

That’s silverknowes road curving at the right hand side. 

I agree, that photo will be from roughly where the cycle speedway track used to be and is now houses. The top picture is the length of cycle path from D Mains to Craigleith looking towards Craigleith I’d say.