Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

14 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

There was a Plaza on Morningside Rd, where Waitrose is now. I'm not sure if it was a cinema or a dance hall.

378772_280154305375593_1245547560_n.jpg?

Thanks mate , keeping my father in law enthralled with this thread , a wee bit of dementia stopped him getting it but. Now you’ve helped out , he is convinced it was a dance hall 👍🏻

Edited by 3fingersreid
Now not ow 😂😂

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Thanks mate , keeping my father in law enthralled with this thread , a wee bit of dementia stopped him getting it but. Ow you’ve helped out , he is convinced it was a dance hall 👍🏻

It was definitely a dance hall.

I'm sure the group was Kathy and the Kentones. 

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Done some more research - this is the one in Princes Street 

Looks like opposite the Mound

348986318_b25lY21zOjlmMjA3MWQ1LWFlZWUtNGRmYi1iZDk3LWVmNGZkNWYyZDc1Yjo2YjVkNWIzMS0wODdkLTRkYzItYjJiZS1jNTljZDFiMDliYWI.jpg.111c7bc2fe6de12725be2ef6a8858a3b.jpg

inside

Image may contain: 1 person

been here before
3 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Rolling Stones Usher Hall 1965

No photo description available.

I wonder if the boy in the suit bottom middle is maybe the dad of the oblivious man in the Neil Lennon pic.

luckyBatistuta
36 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Supposedly inside Haymarket Ice rink

No photo description available.

image.jpeg.8553cc906b88f8d5b35befc08e0700ba.jpeg

Great find bud, going to show my parents that and see if they recognise it.

luckyBatistuta
55 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

There was a Plaza on Morningside Rd, where Waitrose is now. I'm not sure if it was a cinema or a dance hall.

My dads goto place, just sent it to him👍

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

11 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

My dads goto place, just sent it to him👍

The Plaza was in the 1956 t0 1958 time my place of choice, at times  eighty percent at least of the dancers were policemen or nurses.My to be wife arrived in my life 1958, no more Plaza, entertainmemnt was getting off the leash to go to a Hearts game, and after that reuniting was told to sit, walk or some other instruction. It was that training that made me the man I am. The movie theatre mentioned in Morningside was the Dominion. It was a change for poor boys from the Southside , if you passed wind there were tut tuts, and dirty looks, a wee bit different from  the Gaff in the High Street where the passing of wind was a pleasure to suffer instead of the urine flow from the balcony. Only the really poor sat in the stalls.

Edited by Sharpie

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

The Plaza was in the 1956 t0 1958 time my place of choice, at times  eighty percent at least of the dancers were policemen or nurses.My to be wife arrived in my life 1958, no more Plaza, entertainmemnt was getting off the leash to go to a Hearts game, and after that reuniting was told to sit, walk or some other instruction. It was that training that made me the man I am. The movie theatre mentioned in Morningside was the Dominion. It was a change for poor boys from the Southside , if you passed wind there were tut tuts, and dirty looks, a wee bit different from  the Gaff in the High Street where the passing of wind was a pleasure to suffer instead of the urine flow from the balcony. Only the really poor sat in the stalls.

The Dominion Cinema is a different place these days Bob. They have big two seater leather couches that you can cosy up on whilst you watch the movie. I normally fall asleep in them, way too comfy.

luckyBatistuta

The "Christian Endeavour" was a group within the Hermitage United Free Church, Lochend Road. The minister is the Rev Cameron Walker, who was the cousin of Tommy Walker, a famous Hearts footballer.

The church has since been demolished.

063F8DA1-1E2C-4E46-A0DC-99837AA8161D.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Drylaw House

20201227_172649.jpg.b9b4795aa4f1bac248cb579170bf6115.jpg

Never knew where exactly that was until I started driving taxis. Was quite taken aback when I found it.

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Drylaw House

20201227_172649.jpg.b9b4795aa4f1bac248cb579170bf6115.jpg

I’ve just had to google that despite living in north Edinburgh most of my life. It’s only about ten minutes bike ride from where I live, I might investigate it when the weather gets better. 

luckyBatistuta
31 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just had to google that despite living in north Edinburgh most of my life. It’s only about ten minutes bike ride from where I live, I might investigate it when the weather gets better. 

You would never know it was there, drove past it so many times and just never noticed it.

53 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

All Rose Street, 1957

22783A9D-5EB9-49E9-A32A-A1C1395321D1.jpeg

172B8C11-70B2-4158-B701-036A038918C0.jpeg

4A0FB0FA-8853-4041-958C-3DE19A2CE7D7.jpeg

7CED88F4-D0BA-4030-8380-4F39A49C0E7E.jpeg

ED960ED3-58B8-4B78-8BA8-5BAF372CAB07.jpeg

FDD3E7C9-AA48-408C-BA72-D4813ECCD032.jpeg

One of the first dates I had in 1958 with my new Canadian girlfriend was the pub stroll along Rose Street. For a time it was a top tourist attraction. She was still basically a tourist

9 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You would never know it was there, drove past it so many times and just never noticed it.

Where I live there is a gravel path running off the main road at Davidson’s Mains primary school. I always just thought it was a track up to garages or something. After I’d been here for a year or so a for sale sign went up at the end of the lane. Being a nosey sort I googled it and it turns out there is a Georgian mansion house in its own grounds. Someone got a bargain at £1m fixed price. 
https://media.onthemarket.com/properties/3103974/doc_0_5.pdf

Edited by Tazio

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

1950’s

Don’t ever remember that little motor place at the bottom. No idea when it was replaced.

56A071F0-7190-4B6C-B6AC-E2F5A0855F4E.jpeg

Alexander’s I seem to remember. 

52 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

The "Christian Endeavour" was a group within the Hermitage United Free Church, Lochend Road. The minister is the Rev Cameron Walker, who was the cousin of Tommy Walker, a famous Hearts footballer.

The church has since been demolished.

063F8DA1-1E2C-4E46-A0DC-99837AA8161D.jpeg

If I recall properly Tommy Walker was quite religious himself.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I see the sign seems to say motor carrier, so not a sales or repair place I guess.

28 minutes ago, Tazio said:

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not Alexander’s but Croall’s. 

26 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Or possibly motor carriages? 

You got two rights, I never thought of Croals on the picture where I first commented I only saw the door  at the end, as I have been told oft before and have never listened wait until you get the full picture.:greggy:

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

Entrance to St Cuthberts dairy off Gardeners Crescent ?

Could be

20201227_202143.jpg

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Vallance Confectioner

20201227_175746.jpg.1a9aee7abe97784cb0dd3f887403f317.jpg

I take it that's Ryan's now. By the way Maroon Sailor, I'm going crackers here at some of them. Can you please put me out of my misery with some of those and possibly not wait so long in letting us know the actual location? Edinburgh born and bred but Jesus, some of these have me stumped. Cheers in advance

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, JWL said:

I take it that's Ryan's now. By the way Maroon Sailor, I'm going crackers here at some of them. Can you please put me out of my misery with some of those and possibly not wait so long in letting us know the actual location? Edinburgh born and bred but Jesus, some of these have me stumped. Cheers in advance

Ha ha - it was never my intention to make this out to be some kind of quiz. Some posters took it as that as they enjoyed trying to recognise the locations.

Some of them I don't know myself and rely on others knowledge.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Where I live there is a gravel path running off the main road at Davidson’s Mains primary school. I always just thought it was a track up to garages or something. After I’d been here for a year or so a for sale sign went up at the end of the lane. Being a nosey sort I googled it and it turns out there is a Georgian mansion house in its own grounds. Someone got a bargain at £1m fixed price. 
https://media.onthemarket.com/properties/3103974/doc_0_5.pdf

One day😞

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

I don’t 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Not Alexander’s but Croall’s. 

8D5377FF-68A6-4AEE-9BFA-1DBC0BC11B32.jpeg

Don’t ever remember seeing that, reckon it was gone before me.