Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, westbow said:

The area to the left of the gallery being used as a car park or bus depot.

Looks like tour buses

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Cases on the roof.

Luxury travel Edinburgh to London - must have took ages though

20201224_103401.thumb.jpg.034f8cb716d597057970d5665455332a.jpg

20201224_103410.thumb.jpg.afbe1d59f2c0302adf0bea85a3a00b15.jpg

In the top picture, the bloke in the cap with his hands in his pockets wouldn't look out of place if he was dropped into the year 2020. Funny how fashions return.

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, pablo said:

In the top picture, the bloke in the cap with his hands in his pockets wouldn't look out of place if he was dropped into the year 2020. Funny how fashions return.

Eh. Who do you know wears that these days.

Is it the Cap ?

2 minutes ago, JWL said:

We got an answer on this one yet? Sure I know it but just can't put my finger on it.

Is it Napier university?

47 minutes ago, pablo said:

True, but he’d be a hipster . 

Just now, Tazio said:

True, but he’d be a hipster . 

Well that’s very clever of the mods. I used a not very polite term for, erm, a self abuser after the word hipster and it automatically deleted itself when I hit submit reply. 

27 minutes ago, JWL said:

We got an answer on this one yet? Sure I know it but just can't put my finger on it.

Liberton hospital?

27 minutes ago, JWL said:

That Liberton Hospital, still looks exactly the same.

Doctor FinnBarr

Those little bubble cars were around longer than I thought

20201224_121748.jpg

I'm not certain but I think that bubble car was a Heinkel plus you can see the back end of a Beetle going towards the bus. How many German cars were here in a period when the war must still have been raw in many folks minds?

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, JWL said:

Liberton Hospital

I see it's been replied to ! 😄

Edited by Maroon Sailor

19 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'm not certain but I think that bubble car was a Heinkel plus you can see the back end of a Beetle going towards the bus. How many German cars were here in a period when the war must still have been raw in many folks minds?

I think that picture would be mid fifties or later, the Barbecue opened in my police time which started in 1956. By then Germany was O.K the Russians were the bad guys, and the veterans of the Korean war were home.

Edited by Sharpie

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I think that picture would be mid fifties or later, ther Barbecue opened in my police time which started in 1956.

I think the war would still be (as I said) raw in many peoples minds though. I was born in 61 and was considered part of the post war baby boom.

Those little bubble cars were around longer than I thought

20201224_121748.jpg

D.Simpson Ltd tobacconist later became Charlie Macnair's deli I seem to remember.Jazz musician of some repute and supplier of lunchtime sandwiches.

15 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I think the war would still be (as I said) raw in many peoples minds though. I was born in 61 and was considered part of the post war baby boom.

https://www.beervisits.eu/pub-bar-visit/pub-visit-scotland/220-pv-edinburgh/797-edinburgh-old-town-doctor-s

"

One of the two earlier incumbents of the building was George Watson who was a cabinet and coffin maker who gathered most of his custom from the Infirmary. His business operated from 1884 through to 1959. The other notable lessee was James Gardiner who made surgical instruments. He continued until the early 1960s and went out of business because of competition with major manufacturers.

After the last businesses left the building it opened its doors as a BBQ restaurant. Yet, although this was said to be popular it closed and reopened as a pub named ”The Mortar” in 1970. In 1979 it adopted its present title in recognition of the nearby hospital. It is now owned by the Taylor Walker pub company."

1 hour ago, Biko said:

https://www.beervisits.eu/pub-bar-visit/pub-visit-scotland/220-pv-edinburgh/797-edinburgh-old-town-doctor-s

"

One of the two earlier incumbents of the building was George Watson who was a cabinet and coffin maker who gathered most of his custom from the Infirmary. His business operated from 1884 through to 1959. The other notable lessee was James Gardiner who made surgical instruments. He continued until the early 1960s and went out of business because of competition with major manufacturers.

After the last businesses left the building it opened its doors as a BBQ restaurant. Yet, although this was said to be popular it closed and reopened as a pub named ”The Mortar” in 1970. In 1979 it adopted its present title in recognition of the nearby hospital. It is now owned by the Taylor Walker pub company."

Thanks very much it became the Barbecue a bit later than I thought, I wonder if it closed so fast because of location. Would have been popular with students which could possibly have made it less so with regular public. I don't seem to remember hamburgers actually replacing fish suppers as a treat just yet. There was another hamburger place in the old Regal Cinema, it was part of a franchise. My Canadian girlfriend was excited to get a real 'burger and did so and ate it hungrily. She started to choke and ended up in hospital where they found an over fried onion piece had scratched her throat causing the feeling of choking. No more hamburger treats for  until we got to Canada and Macdonalds got going. My apologies read the dates wrong and thought it had closed in less than a year, it did last quite a while.

Edited by Sharpie

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

20201224_194729.jpg

Actually yards from where I grew up in Lindsay Road. The railway eventually made way for a new road from Leith to Newhaven

24 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Got to be St Johns road outside the Harp or whatever it is nowadays.

When I lived in Clerwood Loan used to walk down to the Harp and have a five o'clock pint while the wife done her duty and fed the bairns. That was 1964 to 1966/67

Edited by Sharpie

luckyBatistuta
12 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This looks grim. Where is/was this ? 

Where West Crosscauseway meets Buccleuch Street

A500F2DA-3972-4332-9CCC-A4CE8CC0D7F4.jpeg

DE871FDC-0FD2-4E6D-AAE1-D28001952AF2.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201224_214219.jpg

Junction of Bonnington Road and Pilrig St

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201224_214233.jpg

Glenogle Road at Hugh Miller Place

9E7B31D9-20FB-45AF-B786-74280F2AA6A9.jpeg

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Where about is this, if you don't mind me asking?

Royal High school rugby team

Doctor FinnBarr
On 24/12/2020 at 20:18, Maroon Sailor said:

20201224_201736.jpg

I could be wrong but I'm going for the city bypass when it was only from Wester Hailes to Fairmilehead. Occasion? At a guess something to do with the 70 Commy games when it was used for cycling.

On 24/12/2020 at 11:50, Maroon Sailor said:

20201224_194700.jpg.125614f5fcfd883b90a62c40206e890f.jpg

My Uncle Jock was a porter at the Waverley during WW2, Willie Merrilees was I think a Detective in the Edinburgh Police. He approached Jock and asked him to do something, I never heard what but it wasn't much, but Merrilees went on to arrest the man who turned out to be a German spy. Made Merrilees name. I don't know how he got into the police he was not a very tall man.

2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

My Uncle Jock was a porter at the Waverley during WW2, Willie Merrilees was I think a Detective in the Edinburgh Police. He approached Jock and asked him to do something, I never heard what but it wasn't much, but Merrilees went on to arrest the man who turned out to be a German spy. Made Merrilees name. I don't know how he got into the police he was not a very tall man.

Bob, that's one of the things I love about you; you so often add flesh to the bones of history. A quick google search finds William Merilees has his own Wikipedia page. Thanks for that, very interesting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Merrilees

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I could be wrong but I'm going for the city bypass when it was only from Wester Hailes to Fairmilehead. Occasion? At a guess something to do with the 70 Commy games when it was used for cycling.

It was the opening of the Forth Road Bridge in 1964

Maroon Sailor
23 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

He had a fascinating life and career

https://newbattleatwar.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/willie-merrielees-to-catch-a-spy-in-edinburgh/

Edited by Maroon Sailor