Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

joondalupjambo
On 24/12/2020 at 21:44, Maroon Sailor said:

20201224_214318.jpg

Tough one and was doing my nut in.  Says it is Bramdean Rise in the Braids, never heard of it to be honest and not a part of the city I really know that well.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shanks said no

Haymarket Ice Rink

The Haymarket Ice rink was opened in the 1912, this followed the first Crossmyloof rink in 1907. It was located on Clifton Terrace to the West of Haymarket Station in Edinburgh. The site had been vacated by the animal auction that had just relocated to Chessar.

In the 1920’s the club played monthly games at Haymarket and the club members would travel by train.

The ice rink was closed in 1970s when it was replaced by similarly sized 7 sheet Murrayfield curling rink. The main Murrayfield ice rink arena (used for skating and ice hockey) was opened in 1939, but was requisitioned almost immediately for war work and was not reopened until 1949.

Curling sessions in those days were usually 3 hour games, this gave time for a drink in the middle. Some clubs played 3 handed in the middle ends as one pair went for a drink at a time (first the leads, then the seconds etc.) This is possibly why some clubs have the tradition of buying their opposite numbers a drink at the end of the game.

In 1914 the rink held the British Pair Skating Championship, the only British skating championship to be held in Scotland before 2000.

The rink closed in 1978, which left a gap until the Murrayfield curling rink opened in 1980.

Maroon Sailor
31 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Tough one and was doing my nut in.  Says it is Bramdean Rise in the Braids, never heard of it to be honest and not a part of the city I really know that well.

Same here 

image.png.e9e9e583a63ccea4b51fca0074a43404.png

Difficult to locate that house under construction now on Google maps as well.

Maroon Sailor

Rankins in Princes Street apparently 

They seem to have had a few shops in Edinburgh

20201227_091733.jpg.09788132f509ba65da4cc534392fb812.jpg

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's been mentioned on this thread that there was an ice rink at Haymarket just down from the station. It must have been out of this picture to the right past that restaurant and bar- is that correct ?

20201227_092045.thumb.jpg.a94e1e919abd70e2d43958da3e6bd235.jpg

The ice rink was at Haymarket Terrace on the corner of Haymarket Yard. There is a building now on the site is called City Point. 

Edited by ManorJambo

Maroon Sailor

This is an Edinburgh tram but I can't think where it is.

Street sign on the building is not what I know them to be i.e black letters on a white background

20201226_204122.jpg.746676382760552917c8728f39938f08.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, ManorJambo said:

The ice rink was at Haymarket Terrace on the corner of Haymarket Yard. There is a building now on the site is called City Point. 

Cheers

Managed to find a photo of the back of it

20201227_111412.thumb.jpg.7e1b5f457b9158787044832c5231a779.jpg

2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

This is from 1980.  I feel I should remember it, but can't.

12194877-1005014926222857-35959123072485

My mates mum used to have a wee seeetie shop on the block that’s now gone , he went on to be a grade 1 linesman , he ran the line at parkhead when they claimed the ball was out when Driver crossed for Velikca ( sp) . 

I might be wrong but did Willie Bauld not have a newspaper shop there at one point ? 
It was still there when I left Tynie in ‘83 ( I think ) the block that is 

22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This is an Edinburgh tram but I can't think where it is.

Street sign on the building is not what I know them to be i.e black letters on a white background

20201226_204122.jpg.746676382760552917c8728f39938f08.jpg

Interesting one - definitely Edinburgh?  I’d say the bay windows look more like the style in the West End of Glasgow, but their trams were green and light yellow - more of a contrast than this one.  And then there’s the crane and the short tower-looking thing to its right with a high wall - looks like a prison!

Stumped. 

Fxxx the SPFL
17 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

My mates mum used to have a wee seeetie shop on the block that’s now gone , he went on to be a grade 1 linesman , he ran the line at parkhead when they claimed the ball was out when Driver crossed for Velikca ( sp) . 

I might be wrong but did Willie Bauld not have a newspaper shop there at one point ? 

willie baulds was near the gorgie chippie i used to deliver papers for him

Maroon Sailor
Just now, FWJ said:

Interesting one - definitely Edinburgh?  I’d say the bay windows look more like the style in the West End of Glasgow, but their trams were green and light yellow - more of a contrast than this one.  And then there’s the crane and the short tower-looking thing to its right with a high wall - looks like a prison!

Stumped. 

The crane got me thinking of Glasgow as well - the tram might have been over there as some kind of open day

30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Look how airy and spacious it is.  
And contrast to the Tesco Metro that’s on Princes Street now....

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

20201227_113726.thumb.jpg.6e04764e7996683fad205b4c29659890.jpg

I can't even remember that shop opposite the Tynie Arms

Notice how the buildings have none of those black cables and wires that are evident all over the outside of them now.

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The crane got me thinking of Glasgow as well - the tram might have been over there as some kind of open day

Maybe Dumbarton, Clydebank or Greenock.  I think they had separate tramways - presumably with a different livery to the Glasgow ones?

Maroon Sailor
Just now, FWJ said:

Maybe Dumbarton, Clydebank or Greenock.  I think they had separate tramways - presumably with a different livery to the Glasgow ones?

That's probably what it is

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Bath Street, Portobello?

Yes

The building should still be there as it was listed

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yes

It was a bingo hall at one time. When I last down there, maybe the beginning of last year, it was boarded up.

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

willie baulds was near the gorgie chippie i used to deliver papers for him

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201227_113726.thumb.jpg.6e04764e7996683fad205b4c29659890.jpg

I can't even remember that shop opposite the Tynie Arms

Notice how the buildings have none of those black cables and wires that are evident all over the outside of them now.

that’s LuckyBatistuta in his brand new cab 

if it makes you feel better neither me or my wife remember it either

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's been mentioned on this thread that there was an ice rink at Haymarket just down from the station. It must have been out of this picture to the right past that restaurant and bar- is that correct ?

20201227_092045.thumb.jpg.a94e1e919abd70e2d43958da3e6bd235.jpg

Yes

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Apparently it is Dundee Street, Fountainbridge.

Wasn’t sure of the year bud👍

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yes

It is, planning permission has been knocked back a few times over the past few years, they are trying to convert it to flats.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

It was a bingo hall at one time. When I last down there, maybe the beginning of last year, it was boarded up.

This is the Google pic of the Bingo hall in Bath Street. I couldn't imagine a tram getting down there

20201227_140748.thumb.jpg.6268bc41a46a2fcb5ede59cabb010972.jpg

20201227_141411.thumb.jpg.b5e397d212d6d56de767de12726069fc.jpg

Looks nothing like this street or building in this photo. Strange one 

image.png.98cb45043425702c6db273b57e94b4bd.png

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I can’t remember one in Princes Street but there was one where Ryan’s Bar is situated.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I can’t remember one in Princes Street but there was one where Ryan’s Bar is situated.

Done some more research - this is the one in Princes Street 

Looks like opposite the Mound

348986318_b25lY21zOjlmMjA3MWQ1LWFlZWUtNGRmYi1iZDk3LWVmNGZkNWYyZDc1Yjo2YjVkNWIzMS0wODdkLTRkYzItYjJiZS1jNTljZDFiMDliYWI.jpg.111c7bc2fe6de12725be2ef6a8858a3b.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This is the Google pic of the Bingo hall in Bath Street. I couldn't imagine a tram getting down there

20201227_140748.thumb.jpg.6268bc41a46a2fcb5ede59cabb010972.jpg

20201227_141411.thumb.jpg.b5e397d212d6d56de767de12726069fc.jpg

Looks nothing like this street or building in this photo. Strange one 

image.png.98cb45043425702c6db273b57e94b4bd.png

There’s no way that is the George in Portobello. I’ve checked the cinemas website and there is nothing about it getting a new front onto it. It was originally called The County opening in 1939 and was renamed The George in 1954. 

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There’s no way that is the George in Portobello. I’ve checked the cinemas website and there is nothing about it getting a new front onto it. It was originally called The County opening in 1939 and was renamed The George in 1954. 

Any other George Cinemas in Edinburgh ?

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Any other George Cinemas in Edinburgh ?

Not that I can find on the website. I checked Leith, Musselburgh, and Portobello and drew a blank on all of them. The frontage in that photo is older than 1939 and the look of the County/George makes total sense architecture wise for a 1939 building. Annoyingly the searchable database on the website is down for maintenance and has been since May. 

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think the picture is High Street Portobello, the George was on the corner of that street and Bath Street, entrances although when I went occasionally always entered by Bath Street. 

Edited by Sharpie

3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I think the picture is High Street Portobello, the George was on the corner of that street and Bath Street, entrances although when I went occasionally always entered by Bath Street. 

Bingo! Bob comes up with the goods. It was The George from 1942-1954 then changed to the Central in 1954. It’s still there but not as a public building. 
http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/scotland/portobello/central.html

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Just to confirm Bob - this was the alternative entrance - which is a now boarded up Bingo Hall

image.png.0965ac3857d4eeefc56aa466a68b5260.png

3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Lemon ‘Sorbet’😜 

Just to confirm Bob - this was the alternative entrance - which is a now boarded up Bingo Hall

image.png.0965ac3857d4eeefc56aa466a68b5260.png

See my post above about the cinema in the original photo you posted. 

Just now, Tazio said:

If anyone is interested in the old cinemas of Scotland this is the link to the site. Amazing how many there used to be and still survive in other forms that you would never spot as you pass them. 

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/edinburgh/include.php?filen=indexn.html

Up to my teenage years movies were my favorite entertainment. When I came out of the army TV had still not entered the Sharp dwelling, I had bought my AJS motor cycle so could travel for movies. I have used at some time almost every theatre of the day throughout the City.   Around 1957 my sister and I bought my parents their TV, and they became addicts. I may add that we also paid to change everything including lights from gas to electric, and removed the old fireside range and bought Mum a new gas stove instead of a gas ring. and a wee gas grill. We installed gas firfes in the kitchen and parlour We weren"t rich, but not poor either, the folks  just set in their old ways.

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

See my post above about the cinema in the original photo you posted. 

I still can't picture what it looks like now.

On the corner of Porty High Street and Bath Street is a Greggs

On the other side (corner) there is a Baynes a couple of doors down 

I still can't picture what it looks like now.

On the corner of Porty High Street and Bath Street is a Greggs

On the other side (corner) there is a Baynes a couple of doors down 

There’s a bit of, understandable, confusion going on. The one in the photo is further along the High Street toward Edinburgh. For some odd reason it changed from the George to the Central the same year the County changed its name to the George. So there was a George cinema in Portobello from 1939-1961 but in 2 separate locations. 

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There’s a bit of, understandable, confusion going on. The one in the photo is further along the High Street toward Edinburgh. For some odd reason it changed from the George to the Central the same year the County changed its name to the George. So there was a George cinema in Portobello from 1939-1961 but in 2 separate locations. 

Right - I've got it now ! 😄

That's bizarre

11 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Help , there was a picture in here showing the Plaza picture house , where exactly was it ? 
cheers 👍🏻

There was a Plaza on Morningside Rd, where Waitrose is now. I'm not sure if it was a cinema or a dance hall.

378772_280154305375593_1245547560_n.jpg?