Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Here's the outline of the building superimposed on an older map, if that's any help Bob.

bristo999.jpg

The good news it helps, the bad news if I came back to see my old haunts I could get lost never to be found again.😥

46 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Channel 4 Historic cities is about Edinburgh just now

Yep 👍 I watched it also. Decent stuff, learned a few things I didn't know.

Fxxx the SPFL
47 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Channel 4 Historic cities is about Edinburgh just now

cracking programme and Alice Roberts well nice lass but that's another thread lol

On 04/12/2020 at 19:29, Maroon Sailor said:

Never knew Easter Road Station was behind the away end

Easter Road Halt (Hibernian Football Stadium)_ (Mike Smith).jpeg

On 04/12/2020 at 19:47, luckyBatistuta said:

I thought Easter road station was at the junction of Easter road and Albion road.

Had a wee look at the OS maps and that picture is taken from behind the main terrace, so the floodlight you're seeing is the one on the right of us as we stood at the Dunbar Road End.  You can see the advertising for the lemonade company on the factory building.

Officially called the Easter Road Park Halt, it was in operation from 1950-52, and closed sometime between 1952 (when Leith Central was closed to passengers apparently) and 1964.  Departures for the halt were from Abbeyhill Station.  Anyway, link here ... https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/E/Easter_Road_Park_Halt/

Maroon Sailor
52 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Had a wee look at the OS maps and that picture is taken from behind the main terrace, so the floodlight you're seeing is the one on the right of us as we stood at the Dunbar Road End.  You can see the advertising for the lemonade company on the factory building.

Officially called the Easter Road Park Halt, it was in operation from 1950-52, and closed sometime between 1952 (when Leith Central was closed to passengers apparently) and 1964.  Departures for the halt were from Abbeyhill Station.  Anyway, link here ... https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/E/Easter_Road_Park_Halt/

I see it now 

Where was the signal box ? Behind the main terrace as well ?

wentworth jambo
On 11/12/2020 at 16:02, Stuart Lyon said:

So was it BoS before it was Lloyds?

BoS had a floor in there when they launched the original Home and Office Banking where customers were sent a wee keyboard that plugged into there telephone line and they had rudimentary online banking. Also had quite a bug marketing dept around it so was always good for golf. All’s, umbrellas and Pringle jumpers !!

22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I see it now 

Where was the signal box ? Behind the main terrace as well ?

Not sure, did all platforms have signal boxes?  The Easter Road Station Signal Box however, was back on the west side of Easter Road on the opposite side from the entrance to Albion Road. Two comletely separate locations, apologies if I'm picking you up wrong here.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Not sure, did all platforms have signal boxes?  The Easter Road Station Signal Box however, was back on the west side of Easter Road on the opposite side from the entrance to Albion Road. Two comletely separate locations, apologies if I'm picking you up wrong here.

I posted a separate picture of the signal box as well and it looked to be in a different location from the platforms behind the main terrace (as now established). Just wondering if it was further down the line on that side of the stadium and out of shot in that picture or was somewhere else around the ground.

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I posted a separate picture of the signal box as well and it looked to be in a different location from the platforms behind the main terrace (as now established). Just wondering if it was further down the line on that side of the stadium and out of shot in that picture or was somewhere else around the ground.

Please post that pic again, MS. 👍

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Please post that pic again, MS. 👍

Safely say it was not behind the main terrace !

Still don't know for sure where it was though

1046204854_EasterRoadSignalBox.jpeg.826c47881a8de3fd840eeaae406dd010.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The bridge next to the building is Easter Road. The building  opposite is the corner of Albion Road where the football programme shop is. 

Edited by Tazio

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The bridge next to the building is Easter Road. The building  opposite is the corner of Albion Road where the football programme shop is. 

Cheers 👍

23 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The bridge next to the building is Easter Road. The building is opposite the Football Programme shop on Albion Road which would be behind you at street level as you were taking this photo  

The tenement in the background with the turret is on the corner of EasterRd and Albion Rd.

10 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

The tenement in the background with the turret is on the corner of EasterRd and Albion Rd.

Yep, I’d edited my post as I realised I’d made a Hibs of it. 

Edited by Tazio

On 05/12/2020 at 13:12, Maroon Sailor said:

20201205_131104.jpg

Didn't recognise this at first as, the store at this location. I only ever remember Arnotts at North Bridge.  Found the picture on the Evening News website which said it was 'Arnotts at North Bridge'.  Eh!! Finally realised it was Chambers Street at South Bridge, and the former site of J & R Allan's.  P Thomsons was rebranded as Arnotts (N Bridge) in 1976 and traded as so until 1982.

So my question is this, was ther an Arnotts at Chambers St before the move to NorthBridge, or was there one there too, in other words two Arnotts? Can't seem to find any answers out there on the interweb.  :berra::lol:

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

:D

I’ve also edited my reply to reflect the point I’d done my edit while you were composing your reply. Just for the sake of my dignity to point out I’d spotted my mistake before you pointed it out 😀

Just now, Tazio said:

I’ve also edited my reply to reflect the point I’d done my edit while you were composing your reply. Just for the sake of my dignity to point out I’d spotted my mistake before you pointed it out 😀

Good man, I was cheesin' at your reference to Hibs it!, perfect in the context, haha.

4 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

BoS had a floor in there when they launched the original Home and Office Banking where customers were sent a wee keyboard that plugged into there telephone line and they had rudimentary online banking. Also had quite a bug marketing dept around it so was always good for golf. All’s, umbrellas and Pringle jumpers !!

I worked for Electronic Banking as it was known then, from 1990-2000. I loved that job, was in Norwich for 3 years then back to Edinburgh covering an area from Fife to the Shetland Islands. I ended up managing the help desk, ( not my cup of tea) then running a customer care operation involved with a large-scale migration of customers from one platform to another. Did you work in this area, perhaps in SE England? My initials are AP

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Looks like the NW corner of George Square, with the old RIE in background.

I agree, and would suggest that the house on the left side corner was that of I think  Professor Dott  who was a music professor at the University.  A more important individual both to Dott and the University  was the cleaner Mrs Sharp who was my mother and supplier of a cup pf tea when I patrolled round there from my Infirmary/Middle Meadow Walk beat box. Again I have to say that this thread is wonderful for me. Despite lives hiccups, sorrows, sadness, and constant increasing  age it provides me  an opportunity to remember people and happenings that made my life the excellent, successful, achieved, period it could be, combined with complete bucket lists, and particularly the four women who provided me with every emotion and need a man could require, mother, sister, wife and daughter, all gone now,  but  like memories like those in this thread never forgotten.

30 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I agree, and would suggest that the house on the left side corner was that of I think  Professor Dott  who was a music professor at the University.  A more important individual both to Dott and the University  was the cleaner Mrs Sharp who was my mother and supplier of a cup pf tea when I patrolled round there from my Infirmary/Middle Meadow Walk beat box. Again I have to say that this thread is wonderful for me. Despite lives hiccups, sorrows, sadness, and constant increasing  age it provides me  an opportunity to remember people and happenings that made my life the excellent, successful, achieved, period it could be, combined with complete bucket lists, and particularly the four women who provided me with every emotion and need a man could require, mother, sister, wife and daughter, all gone now,  but  like memories like those in this thread never forgotten.

No doubt, especially for you who have lived these streets/buildings. It was all in coloue by the time I started to become familiar with parts of edinburgh but I do truly marvel at wat went before.  A stunning city that has sadly lost a lot of it to time and decay.  Just down from your mum's place of work, probably just a few doors down was the Centre for Canadian Studies, which I spent some time at as a student in the late 80s.  No idea if they still reside there or not.

luckyBatistuta

Forgotten what has and hasn’t been posted already.

1960, 1962, 1965

maybe wee @Morgan somewhere in that second one😁

FBB17B13-5AD1-4F8C-8BD3-2EF1B8245981.jpeg

6963B75B-727E-49D8-9198-D0977C180288.jpeg

AE59BEEB-570F-4F65-95AF-D95A61FD5D78.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

22 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

1782212836_unnamed(3).jpg.9e00e6ba188d86c7000fc5edddcec01a.jpg

What's there now?  The last time I passed it looked like they were demolishing it.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

What's there now?  The last time I passed it looked like they were demolishing it.

I've not passed that way for a while

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Forgotten what has and hasn’t been posted already.

1960, 1962, 1965

maybe wee @Morgan somewhere in that second one😁

FBB17B13-5AD1-4F8C-8BD3-2EF1B8245981.jpeg

6963B75B-727E-49D8-9198-D0977C180288.jpeg

AE59BEEB-570F-4F65-95AF-D95A61FD5D78.jpeg

Or perhaps not.  🤷🏿‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've not passed that way for a while

Just looked on google maps and there's a new building under constriction.  The Co-op had hoped to demolish the Gorgie store too and build a new store with student flats above it, but the council knocked that one back.

20 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Oh, is the shop gone now?

Only ever there when the panto is on, and haven't been this year obviously nor last year either, so last time I was there would have been two years ago and it was a Scot-Mid store.

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Oh, is the shop gone now?

Only ever there when the panto is on, and haven't been this year obviously nor last year either, so last time I was there would have been two years ago and it was a Scot-Mid store.

Going by the signs, it looks like they've already built a new store behind where the old one was.

coop.jpg