• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Road works.

Nothing has changed then.

Widening the road for the Burdiehouse junction of the city bypass. 

7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Interesting Map

23 wards - The St Bernard's ward is strange how it goes round the Corstorphine and Cramond ward up by the river

Notice the Burgh of Musselburgh as well

Dalkeith is also a Burgh. 

Maroon Sailor

WHEC 1980

1863778543_b25lY21zOjk5YTU3YjBiLTk5ZjUtNDcwMS1hMjQ5LWY3MmY3ZGFjNTM1ZDowZTQwMTMzZS1iYzZjLTQ2ZjgtYWZiZC1lOTE3YTZkYmQ0YWQ.jpg.b2b11af7b223c9c4f21939d774382bd3.jpg

I was at school then and it was still pencils and jotters for us. Even had to cover the school books with wallpaper

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

WHEC 1980

1863778543_b25lY21zOjk5YTU3YjBiLTk5ZjUtNDcwMS1hMjQ5LWY3MmY3ZGFjNTM1ZDowZTQwMTMzZS1iYzZjLTQ2ZjgtYWZiZC1lOTE3YTZkYmQ0YWQ.jpg.b2b11af7b223c9c4f21939d774382bd3.jpg

I was at school then and it was still pencils and jotters for us. Even had to cover the school books with wallpaper

I left the WHEC in 1980 and remember the computers, think they had them in 1979 (maybe not Apples)

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I left the WHEC in 1980 and remember the computers, think they had them in 1979 (maybe not Apples)

The WHEC was ahead of most schools then as just recently built. Even had it's own swimming pool

27 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m he was a prominent doctor at the time.

Can’t remember his name.

Keith Little.

Maroon Sailor

The Edinburgh Taxi outing early 80's

1796418418_Edinburghtaxiorracingcar.thumb.jpeg.1ca53aa3113a8bc968d6e533c40f05e1.jpeg

Do they still do a parade along Princes Street?

Maroon Sailor

First push button public phone in Edinburgh - 1980

1129814772_b25lY21zOmQzNjIwNzdlLTM1NjktNDk3NC1hZmYyLWVmOWQ3MzMzMWU1NjoxNWI4YWQ4Ny0xMjIyLTQzNmEtOWJhYy1iYTUwYmY4OGZkMmM.jpg.ea98dbd29ae4ba6e3ac64b59b385c882.jpg

Couldn't beat the dial up, then the panic trying to get your money in when the pips went.

21 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

870240216_OldeastwaycinemaatthetopofEasterRoadnowaIcelandstore.thumb.jpeg.402fd7a9ef78f788bdf1b560535282ab.jpeg

That is at the top of Easter road at the junction with London Road. I spent many an hour in the Eastway picture house, often getting in for free via the boiler room which was coal-fired the door of which opened out on to the street where I lived, Maryfield in the Abbeyhill Colonies. Picture house closed in the late 60''s or early 70''s.  My memory must be playing tricks on me as I distinctly remember Birrells sweetie shop being to the immediate right of the cinema. Picture house became a Coopers fine fare supermarket, where a friend and I washed the floors at close of business every day.

Edited by argyjambo
Spelling

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

That is at the top of Easter road at the junction with London Road. I spent many an hour in the Eastway picture house, often getting in for free via the boiler room which was coal-fired the door of which opened out on to the street where I lived, Maryfield in the Abbeyhill Colonies. Picture house closed in the late 60''s or early 70''s.  My memory must be playing tricks on me as I distinctly remember Birrells sweetie shop being to the immediate right of the cinema. Picture house became a Coopers fine fare supermarket, where a friend and I washed the floors at close of business every day.

There seems to be 2 entrances or an exit and entrance either side of Birrells so you could be right in thinking it was to the immediate right. 

It could be Iceland now

Maroon Sailor
21 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

1191E3DF-4FB7-4F41-961D-4C1BAF98DF4F.jpeg

Don't know what the occasion is here but the building in the background was HMS Claverhouse when I was a young reservist before signing up.

jambo east anglia
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Canning Street

Originally known as The Rutland cinema

1400301619_GaumontEdinburgh.jpeg.1af2a2c15669902e545e2a8054229ad1.jpeg

I vaguely remember as a wee lad watching this place burn down - early 60s?  We had a grandstand view down Dewar Place from the chippy on the corner of Gardners Crescent and Morrison Street.

Carl Fredrickson
32 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

spaceout.gifspaceout.gif

Meadowbank

I know the location of this but what are the stadiums? I assume one is the old or original Meadowbank stadium? Is one of them cycling or speedway? 

Carl Fredrickson
26 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Princes Street Gardens - 1900s

The bandstand looks similar to the one at Beamish Museum. I wonder what will replace the Ross band stand. I saw a mock up about a year ago but I think the plans included shops which is just what the gardens need. 

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

The bandstand looks similar to the one at Beamish Museum. I wonder what will replace the Ross band stand. I saw a mock up about a year ago but I think the plans included shops which is just what the gardens need. 

I was asked to comment on the proposal and told them what I thought, it looks like a Hobbit hill / home and completely out of context with the location. Mrs F did say I could have been a bit more subtle, the girl recording comments admitted I wasn’t the first to say it. 

Shanks said no
8 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I know the location of this but what are the stadiums? I assume one is the old or original Meadowbank stadium? Is one of them cycling or speedway? 

no information behind the photo, I assumed left was cycling/speedway and right was athletics. 

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I was asked to comment on the proposal and told them what I thought, it looks like a Hobbit hill / home and completely out of context with the location. Mrs F did say I could have been a bit more subtle, the girl recording comments admitted I wasn’t the first to say it. 

image.jpeg.3470c0267e38a52018b9209bd534246f.jpeg

11 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Outside R.W Forsyth

1733041466_b25lY21zOjMzYmZjMGI1LTQzNTQtNGZkZi05NWNkLTYxMTk5N2U5NzYwNToxMDM3ODBiMy0wNGIxLTRiMWMtOTY4Yy0yZGM1MjMwZDVmNDQ.jpg.b16074d5bb2d12ceca1c7d876efbea5f.jpg

Nae social distancing and one gadgy not wearing his face covering properly, nothings changed😉

47 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hillhouse Road, Blackhall, Whitehall Garage

I started my working life as a petrol boy there in 1950, at that time it was owned by a family ho were also Coal Merchants, my father ended his working life as a petrol server when retired,  Tommy Farmer wa the owner at ghe time, and he was really good and looked after my old man.

32 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I think its Old Meadowbank on the right where the Monarchs rode, and the one on the lefyt was New Meadowbank site of Race meetings and minor footb all.

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

I started my working life as a petrol boy there in 1950, at that time it was owned by a family ho were also Coal Merchants, my father ended his working life as a petrol server when retired,  Tommy Farmer wa the owner at ghe time, and he was really good and looked after my old man.

I had a feeling you would like that one. 

4 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

A better image for you Bob

SOUTH SIDE - BRISTO AREA (12)

Yes that the place, worked the beat there the old Marshal Street beat, and attended the Woolpack on occasions. Sometimes for police work.:greggy:

Shanks said no
3 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I think its Old Meadowbank on the right where the Monarchs rode, and the one on the lefyt was New Meadowbank site of Race meetings and minor footb all.

Edinburgh Monarchs Speedway Programme 1950

1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

OK Bob, can you remember sheep in the Meadows?

ROYAL INFIRMARY OVER MEADOWS WITH SHEEP

You  know I can't, but I was four when the war started  and the West Meadows had spiked wldd steel things to stab paratroopers if they tried to land on that open expanse, and the rst of th meadows seemed to be taken up with allotments where those who had one grew vegetables, my Dad actually had one. The sheep in my day wee in the Park.

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Edinburgh Monarchs Speedway Programme 1950

My father and I followed the Monarchs from day one. It was the Monarchs Saturday night in the summer, and the Hearts Saturday afternoon and Music Hall for Amateur boxing  Saturday night. Nae telly. On Sundays if I wan't away on the bikes with faither, it was Meadowbank with the pals to see if the speedway riders needed pushers after they had done repairs or service to their bikes.

Carl Fredrickson
21 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Cheers. I thought one would be for athletics and football and the other for cycling/bikes of somekind but it was a wee bit before my time. It is such a large area that is currently being developed.