Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, wentworth jambo said:

I got invited to do the entrance exam in 1981 as a Foundationer as my Dad passed away when i Was 10 - passed that and they pay for everything - fees. books even lunch and any school trips I wanted to go on - went to Paris and Belgium among others.

I got one trip to Hadrian's Wall. 

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The Flodden Wall on the right is the clue.

6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Well done Stuart.

A special thanks from me Stuart because I was unsure of the loci. I did because of the name of the pub assume it was Drummond Street, and I was sure it was the South Bridge School at the top right of the picture, but the whole angle caused me some doubt. The pub I am proud to say is a total mystery to me I am sure I never had anything to do with it, thats nice to say about at least one Southside Pub. Despite a failure in the identify the picture class, I still think this is the absolute best thread ever.  

5 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Apologies if any of these have been posted already. 

7F73FDFD-2D62-450A-8C6E-B27E0B7FEB73.jpeg

D64DCBA3-CF06-4F3B-8D49-12741A1835E6.jpeg

9E8658F8-FF84-4449-B9AB-FA1204CDF6BC.jpeg

039DC807-E9E7-464A-AE34-C2FF8383E1A1.jpeg

9983359F-84F3-4EFF-99B2-E7106DE0C875.jpeg

9CDE54E1-7811-4295-9F2B-B3A2D6D510F1.jpeg

EA70271D-59BE-45A3-ABE2-A39D16C24F85.jpeg

A11C55C2-8C28-4116-B194-1ECB3C58BF03.jpeg

F1008645-62CF-4FBF-886A-E735011B1ADD.jpeg

D905E478-48B6-4A1E-953C-1E29D4ACCA2C.jpeg

These are cracking pics. is the 3rd last the Grassmarket ?

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Anyone spot the wee 11YO on top of Arthur Seat who would go on to be a Global Superstar 

01D8D111-6D1B-4586-8C70-4331A6D51B58.jpeg

At a guess Sean Connery.

Its funny how memories create different opinions.  I have heard that some of my neighbours suggest that all I talk about are my memories, and I do not dispute that. The good times of my life have as happens passed. The only Sharp I have left is my son, and he is no spring chicken. The future is a time for others, I have no complaints. When as in this thread there are times in company someone will name a place they enjoyed, I will comment I have been there, someone will say I love London saw the Palace and the soldiers in their big hats, and red jackets, I will say I have done that. Some will mention a military action in a foreign country, I will say I have done that, some will talk about crimes, accidents and other incidents I can relate stories about that also. I am not being boastful far from it, its just what I done in my life. I didn't leave school and enter a career, I tried other things and settled for the thing I had been raised to do.

This is why I find this thread so interesting and valuable to me. I harp on with my memories of the City we all have strong feelings for, I do not feel I am being ridiculed or annoying, in fact the extreme opposite I get to relate my memories, I c an relate to most of the old buildings now long gone, districts like Pleasance  Dumbiedykes, Corstorphine, Fairmilehead, Granton Cramond, Roseberry Estate, Portobello all areas of fun, long family Sunday walks, the nonsense kids got up to, trespassing fleeing for ones life getting a skelp on the ear, daren't tell your parents at least mine because right after my father whipped me for doing what I did he would have gone and whipped the person who skelpt me. It was not the easiest transit from wee boy, too big laddie from trespassing runner, to big bad polis chaser but the times places and people prepared me for the success I have had in my life.  apologise for this post, mebbe the  time of the year but I am feeling  bit nostalgic, and a wee bit down, but the messages in here brighten my day

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Had another look and totally stumped.

John Lennon (used to holiday in Edinburgh at his aunties)

The Real Maroonblood
25 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

John Lennon (used to holiday in Edinburgh at his aunties)

👍

I would never have gotten that.

33 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201218_165331.jpg.42f36b2cfb1b3d7f7ffd09fe7bd0f386.jpg

Bottom of the Cowgate straight ahead, St. John's Hill on the left, used to park there all the time when we came through to Edinburgh, houses now.

30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201218_165331.jpg.42f36b2cfb1b3d7f7ffd09fe7bd0f386.jpg

Ft of Pleasance at Cowgate. The pavement outside the scene where with my good friend the late Hughie McRoberts I made my first ever arrest as an Edinburgh City Policeman. The subject Ernest Stanley Mackenzie was Drunk and Incapable, he was also my cousin.  In the early sixties we also came up from Niddrie to operate the traffic lights in rush hours. It was good fun if somebody got annoyed at you for holding the red light too long you could just leave it for a few more minutes. Childish but it did have a certain charisma

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

West Port 1856

72AA9F6F-C8D1-481D-A02A-8D4D765AA048.jpeg

Another sight some of my ancestors would probably recognize.

They lived at Killiebrae, 26 West Port from the 1850's - 1870's, just across the road from Portsburgh Sq.

Portsburgh was seemingly the orginal name for West Port.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Ft of Pleasance at Cowgate. The pavement outside the scene where with my good friend the late Hughie McRoberts I made my first ever arrest as an Edinburgh City Policeman. The subject Ernest Stanley Mackenzie was Drunk and Incapable, he was also my cousin.  In the early sixties we also came up from Niddrie to operate the traffic lights in rush hours. It was good fun if somebody got annoyed at you for holding the red light too long you could just leave it for a few more minutes. Childish but it did have a certain charisma

You arrested your cousin for being drunk ?

A bit harsh Bob !

11 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You arrested your cousin for being drunk ?

A bit harsh Bob !

You had to know Ernie. When I was stationed in London in 1955 he was in a model there. He was a local drunk, and I gave him on occasion a meal and a couple of pounds to see him on. He was a sad soul, when in the navy during the war he jumped ship when the PO called all the men *******s, and he said it was the worst thing he could call them and I was one. His mother my mothers sister had him illegitimately during WW 1, she later met an American soldier who told her he would marry her and take her to America but not her ******* son, his grandparents looked after him, and when they died my parents took him in and raised him for a while. After the war Ernie became a common criminal, my old man kicked him out of the house. Ernie loved Saughton Prison he was treated there best he ever was,  when he was arrested like the relative arrest for drunkeness when the CID heard he was in custody they done what they always done with him took him up to their office, and got him a fish supper, they then got him to admit to crimes they were investigating and plead guilty in Court. Everybody won. The detectives got solved crimes and Ernie got back to his favorite lodgings. The last that was heard of him was that he after years of absence in the middle of the night arrived at my parents house and caused a disturbance. My father then in his mid to late seventies went out and beat the shit out of him and he has never been heard of again. As far as me arresting him, no conscience about it, he never mentioned who I was neither did I, we both knew our position and went along with it, thats life on the seamy side. 

If you are talking about Edinburgh history drunk meth and cheap wine drinkers were a common sight in the Grassmarket, High Street and Cowgate areas, lying covered in their own vomit waiting for the Wagon and a trip to the nice warm High Street basement  cell with the big warm fire, hot tea and meals. Old buildings are interesting history but you have to also look at the people to get a true taste of what it was all about.

1 minute ago, Lemongrab said:

Easter Road?

Spot on! I used to walk past that building every working day in the early 1970''s on the journey between my home in Abbey hill and the Constitution street branch of Bank of Scotland on the corner of Queen Charlotte St & Constitution St.

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Easter Road?

👍

Only time I'll give that place the thumbs up ! 

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, Hook said:

Is this the old Slaughterhouse at Chesser, where ASDA is now, MS?

It is - New Market Road

Edited by Maroon Sailor

17 minutes ago, Hook said:

Is this the old Slaughterhouse at Chesser, where ASDA is now, MS?

It would have been somewhere near the slaughter houses where the Corn Exchange is now.  The fruit and veg market was where M&S, Home Bargains etc are now.