Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, jb102 said:

As a young man I had a very very memorable experience in that telephone box.

You were engaged ?

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Used to go to powder hall with my dad. Got the badges with the year bars somewhere. Remember seeing Belle Vue there, was it the lad Collins who was world champ or something?

Sorry I am a wee bit confused, I am not sure to what you are referring, Powderhall was not actually a place I had much to do with other than as a wee lad going on a wee hill outside and seeing the greyhounds running, it was fine until the big boys came and kicked our skinny asses out of there.

4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Sorry I am a wee bit confused, I am not sure to what you are referring, Powderhall was not actually a place I had much to do with other than as a wee lad going on a wee hill outside and seeing the greyhounds running, it was fine until the big boys came and kicked our skinny asses out of there.

When the speedway was there, maybe late 70s

1 minute ago, Hesh said:

Oh I see, sorry I was well esconced in Canada by then and was not aware of speedway at Powderhall.

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

Oh I see, sorry I was well esconced in Canada by then and was not aware of speedway at Powderhall.

No problems, it was the 70s Peter Collins was the big name and I remember seeing him race there for belle vue 

Has to be one if the best ever threads on Kickback Thanks to everyone posting those brilliant pictures If anybody has any pics of the prefabs at Bankhead Sighthill they could post it would be very much appreciated

24 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Has to be one if the best ever threads on Kickback Thanks to everyone posting those brilliant pictures If anybody has any pics of the prefabs at Bankhead Sighthill they could post it would be very much appreciated

6BF090EF-7F8D-41DC-B330-8E427E96379F.jpeg

38CE3292-9283-4C09-BA94-E03BCD8AAC04.jpeg

Slightly off topic but does anyone know why the tenement block on Harrison Road just stops like this.

It has bugged me for years.

It looks like they just stopped building or the rest of it has been taken down.

IMG_20201207_212502.jpg

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

The second picture , what’s the group of dark buildings middle of the picture on the right ? 

4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

The second picture , what’s the group of dark buildings middle of the picture on the right ? 

They are still there to this day, the wooden clad houses off Wester Hailes Road on the LHS as you head South towards the shopping centre

Edited by Radio Ga Ga

10 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

They are still there to this day, the wooden clad houses off Wester Hailes Road on the LHS as you head South towards the shopping centre

You’re bang on , I’ve looked at the picture wrong , I actually thought it was Sighthill and Parkhead  on the left of the picture when its actually the Calder’s , kind of looked at it after reading the post above looking for sighthill photos 

the houses look to be getting a bit of an upgrade at present 

Edited by 3fingersreid

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, JWL said:

Got it now, was viewing it from a different angle which threw me.

Part of the harbour got reclaimed and there are houses along that jetty where that ship is tied up

image.png.59324c7cd11b21a12a4577d32b85d4ec.png

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Janbo1874 said:

Slightly off topic but does anyone know why the tenement block on Harrison Road just stops like this.

IMG_20201207_212502.jpg

Building isn’t any smaller than on ordnance survey maps from before 1900. 

Looks like the original sandstone has been removed/replaced. Several windows have also been bricked up. 

I’d hesitate a guess that that there were issues with it somewhere along the line and regular bricks were more more cost effective for the owners than sandstone. 

1 hour ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Thanks a million Radio GaGa

Stayed just down from the bus terminus I think it was Bankhead Crossway Didn't find out till we were married a good few years but our neighbours at the prefabs were my wife's Grandparents I used to spend my pocket money on the penny bars of chocolate to give to her Grandads Dog.Loved staying there, we had brilliant fun playing on the canal when it was iced over

2 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

IMG_20201207_212502.jpg

56 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Building isn’t any smaller than on ordnance survey maps from before 1900. 

Looks like the original sandstone has been removed/replaced. Several windows have also been bricked up. 

I’d hesitate a guess that that there were issues with it somewhere along the line and regular bricks were more more cost effective for the owners than sandstone. 

That's been bugging me for years too. I always thought something had been demolished, given the state of the stone/brickwork. In these maps from 1907 and 1913 it looks like the row of tenements has shortened, along with the lane up the back. But I've just had a look at the Post Office Directories for around those dates and the highest tenement number is 105, which is what is there now. Perhaps they intended to build more, but for some reason didn't?

Harrison1.jpg  harrison2.jpg

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, Hesh said:

No problems, it was the 70s Peter Collins was the big name and I remember seeing him race there for belle vue 

Don’t forget Dave Trowsen😁

56 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

That's been bugging me for years too. I always thought something had been demolished, given the state of the stone/brickwork. In these maps from 1907 and 1913 it looks like the row of tenements has shortened, along with the lane up the back. But I've just had a look at the Post Office Directories for around those dates and the highest tenement number is 105, which is what is there now. Perhaps they intended to build more, but for some reason didn't?

Harrison1.jpg  harrison2.jpg

It’s an enigma. The windows are a more recent addition one had permission granted in 2003 and a another in 14/15.

Further round on Harrison Gardens there is a similar gable end but it’s been rendered so isn’t as glaringly obvious. 

C748A1FD-3352-4ADD-A39D-553E7DE566DB.jpeg

The plot thickens...

It does indeed look like an ongoing project, or at least it was. 

1908 Ordnance shows 3 blocks with 7 entryways. With land available for another block. 
986B4A5C-5ABA-42AB-A28D-117DAF9ACB3C.thumb.jpeg.ccb4d9d91990d7aa61c4b6cb30b4944b.jpeg

1913/1914 Ordnance shows 4 blocks with a further 3 entryways added as it is currently.
Could further development have been kiboshed by the war?

3733A143-BD2C-44BF-971E-54AD34A01667.jpeg.b4bad4b96c46f9b50a3161caf4cc4ba2.jpeg

10 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

IMG_20201207_212502.jpg

There was a cracking Tarzan swing just up from there that swung out over the banking.

Maroon Sailor

Doesn't look like this now - a complete mess.

Didn't realise Leith Walk was originally named Leith Loan

20201208_081438.thumb.jpg.c25225e77dbaf300d93fa3952b088286.jpg

Maroon Sailor
Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Is this Causewayside or the Southside some where ? 

It's Bristo Street looking North

19 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201207_232637.jpg.15c845935ead8d0cfcec304335ce5d29.jpg

Marshal Street for sure, Boabs wee police box tucked away on the right of the picture. Now I''l just sit back for a couple of minutes and think of those long past days.

The Natural Order
23 hours ago, Hesh said:

Speedway ran at Powderhall from April 1977 to October 1995.

23 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Marshal Street for sure, Boabs wee police box tucked away on the right of the picture. Now I''l just sit back for a couple of minutes and think of those long past days.

Bob, can you remember anything about a football club called 'Southfield Rovers' or something like that.

I believe they might have played around the Southfield, Niddrie, Bingham area, but I can't find anything about them.

47 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Your police box is still there Bob, although now a coffee takeaway shop. 

Maroon Sailor

17 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Your police box is still there Bob, although now a coffee takeaway shop. 

A Division 23 

img-20171031-wa0000-largejpg.jpg.6312fddc76df0d533e519df049ce4482.jpg

20180223-dsc-0245-LST295746.jpg.34c35e5d4805ec4b0e6565553e437b0f.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

42 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Bob, can you remember anything about a football club called 'Southfield Rovers' or something like that.

I believe they might have played around the Southfield, Niddrie, Bingham area, but I can't find anything about them.

No don't remember them. There were a lot of teams back then because at all levels there were a number of leagues.  For working class laddies football was the ideal sport because all you needed was a pair of boots. Nothing classy everyone had the same, brown leather with a hard toe, leather hammer in studs, and you could get on a team with a league where everyone was basically the same level. I played for Preston Street School, then when at Boroughmuir played for  a B.B. team in Corstorphine where some of the guys from school played.