Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I am not great at using the "net, but messed around and saw a couple of pictures and there was a mention of a Glasgow exhibition. Using a magnifying glass it looks like the stuff in the picture is what could be used in some type of exhibition in one of the Galleries.  Sorry that type of search and even remembering how I got it  is weak, but I looked up Edinburgh buildings 1858.

It could well be Bob, I guess we'll never really know.  I zoomed in on it and thought it maybe looked like there were maybe blocks of stone, but then, when you think about it it it was a year before the gallery opened perhaps it would have been a bit late in the day for that kind of work to be going on, so maybe it is crates of some sort?

stuff.jpg

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

image.png.8af07b209363102e94bfa17529e72519.png

20201216_145101.thumb.jpg.77c46318607fdb20491549b3e844f2f2.jpg

The way the rain guttering cuts straight across the windows on the top floor of the flats in the middle of that picture has always intrigued me.  Often thought it was a modern-day cowboy roofer that had simply done a botch-job but looking at the comparison of those pictures, it seems to be a bit more legacy.

Maroon Sailor

This couldn't have been that long after they lifted the tram tracks.

20201216_195032.thumb.jpg.f989039ee4970724017dba188c84fb29.jpg

The old Martin's the baker van prominent

6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I can’t thank you enough for all these photos that you post.

A really nice post from you, TRM.

@Maroon Sailor deserves a lot of credit for the time, and effort, he puts into both this and the Oldies footballers thread.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

A really nice post from you, TRM.

@Maroon Sailor deserves a lot of credit for the time, and effort, he puts into both this and the Oldies footballers thread.

When you're getting on:) nostalgia is important.

10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This couldn't have been that long after they lifted the tram tracks.

20201216_195032.thumb.jpg.f989039ee4970724017dba188c84fb29.jpg

The old Martin's the baker van prominent

Question for those who remember , when the old trams were lifted and more vehicles appeared in the streets was the view of Edinburgh residents that lifting the teams a good thing or not ? 
My grandad was an tram driver , he was happy to move to the buses . Like others have said , brilliant thread 👏🏻

Carl Fredrickson
11 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

When you're getting on:) nostalgia is important.

Nostalgia isnt what it used be.

I love this thread, most of the photos are before my time but I have a great appreciation for our local history

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Nostalgia isnt what it used be.

I love this thread, most of the photos are before my time but I have a great appreciation for our local history

I’ve always loved history particularly local.

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’ve always loved history particularly local.

I agree. Whenever I visit places for a break I always try to do a history walk. Edinburgh has an amazing amount of stories and characters. Even watching the Historic British Town show on C4 I still learned stuff about Edinburgh.

This thread is awesome as it captures so much of our capital as it used to be. The stories that are shared are great as fewer people are around who can share memories of those times

Very much appreciated 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I agree. Whenever I visit places for a break I always try to do a history walk. Edinburgh has an amazing amount of stories and characters. Even watching the Historic British Town show on C4 I still learned stuff about Edinburgh.

This thread is awesome as it captures so much of our capital as it used to be. The stories that are shared are great as fewer people are around who can share memories of those times

Very much appreciated 

When I go with my mates on a jolly boys to various cities abroad that’s what we do in the afternoon is do the history bit.

At night need I say more.

been here before
51 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Interesting story of how this came to be the winning design and of the person who designed it.

885344975_455px-The_Scott_Monument_on_Princes_Street_Edinburgh.jpg.5a2e7df2dcba5fa7fb81e25188525a4f.jpg

Drowned im the canal didnt he? 

Mysteriously...

Edited by been here before

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, been here before said:

Drowned im the canal didnt he? 

Mysteriously...

Foggy night apparently 

Didn't even see the monument completed

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Very much appreciated 

From a family history point of view I also love this thread, because many of the long gone places in these photos would have been an everyday sight for our grandparents, great grandparents, gg grandparents.

I've now got several photos from this thread which are relevant to my family.

Bakehouse Close and the people in the photo could even be my ancestors, Leven Lodge (now the Kings Theatre) where some of my lot lived before it was knocked down, India Place where my mum was born, Craigmillar the house where I lived in the '60's.

And then we have this chap.

image.jpeg.09560af5cd9d4e05d0c9fcd48e218a94.jpeg

Coconut Tam c.1870 in the Canongate.

No he's not an ancestor of mine, however I have several families who lived in the Canongate in the 1870's, so there is every chance that some of my lot would have walked passed Tam, may even have talked to him, might even have bought stuff off him.

The point is this though, if they were alive today and looked at this photo and many many more like it, they would instantly recognize who the people are, they may even have told you a story or two about them & that's a link to the past, a link that when I look at this photo I'm looking through the eyes of my ancestors and seeing what they saw.

That is why this thread is fabulous and everyone who has posted photos can take great pride in that not only are they posting an old photo of streets & buildings often now long gone, but on many occasions they are also posting links to some folk's past.

joondalupjambo
20 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Can't work out what that is at the bottom of The Mound

20201105_143345.thumb.jpg.7ce85731d6085f69098fd61745ec402d.jpg

That is a bit of a puzzler and the building materials idea and signage for an exhibition both fit in as options for this stuff.  When I first opened the photo I immediately thought of Speakers Corner at the bottom of the Mound and that this could be an area where they stored hoardings and signs for use by the speakers.  If you download the image and then magnify in it looks more and more like signage of sorts to me.

joondalupjambo
15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

00077_s_s8ac4fre7k077.jpeg

Hugh Leckie and Sons coal yard, St Loenards after a wee bit of research.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

00060_s_s8ac4fre7k0060.jpeg

joondalupjambo
On 13/12/2020 at 19:12, luckyBatistuta said:

6963B75B-727E-49D8-9198-D0977C180288.jpeg

Forgot to ask, Heriots or Edinburgh Academy?  I will go with the former.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I remember them.

16 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Heriot's. Looking towards the Chemistry block with the bogs on the right

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, inspector said:

Heriot's. Looking towards the Chemistry block with the bogs on the right

Thought it was.  I passed the entrance exams in circa 1972 but because we were struggling a bit financially, and Heriot's was fee paying I said to my Mum I would not go there and ended up elsewhere.  I still remember walking through the gates, the long walk up to the old main building, sitting in an seat with a wooden desk in some sort of big room, probably the assembly room, not sure.  I just felt I was in the wrong place so even though I passed the exams it was an easy decision to not go.

luckyBatistuta
39 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

It actually looks like the playground of Edinburgh Academy, but it’s Heriots

6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Question for those who remember , when the old trams were lifted and more vehicles appeared in the streets was the view of Edinburgh residents that lifting the teams a good thing or not ? 
My grandad was an tram driver , he was happy to move to the buses . Like others have said , brilliant thread 👏🏻

I think after the torn up roads and inconvenience there was the buses which were faster, less obstructive, and just more efficient were seen as a positive. Trams were so fixed there was no deviation to allow say parking, change of routes, new track, power lines having to be installed, I guess they had just had their day.   

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Hugh Leckie and Sons coal yard, St Leonards after a wee bit of research.

I went to Preston Street School; with a Hugh Leckie, the lived in the first stair in Dalkeith Road the  first stair after Preston Street School opposite Parkside Terrace. Their house looked over the school playground. I am not sure if his father owned the coal merchants, but I know their was a connection. We to be honest were too young to care.

Edited by Sharpie

20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Could be Morgan in his car bottom of the picture

20201217_140430.thumb.jpg.a2342034f573443eaa4d79a77d8bbb38.jpg

During the war my father met a young medical student when they wee both doing ARP duties at the now Pollock Halls. The man Jack Martin was also an ardent Hearts fan, so they became real good friends. It turned out he was the son of Martins the baker owner, he came to our house every Saturday and brought with him lovely cakes and other baked goods. He graduated in medicine and I am not sure if he ever practised as a doctor, he did open an old folks care home. Due to his commitments there he was unable to attend games and he gave my father his season ticket for a couple of rows behind the Directors box. He gave me an excellent reference when I applied for the police, and they stayed friends untill my Dad passed here in Canada.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

From a family history point of view I also love this thread, because many of the long gone places in these photos would have been an everyday sight for our grandparents, great grandparents, gg grandparents.

I've now got several photos from this thread which are relevant to my family.

Bakehouse Close and the people in the photo could even be my ancestors, Leven Lodge (now the Kings Theatre) where some of my lot lived before it was knocked down, India Place where my mum was born, Craigmillar the house where I lived in the '60's.

And then we have this chap.

image.jpeg.09560af5cd9d4e05d0c9fcd48e218a94.jpeg

Coconut Tam c.1870 in the Canongate.

No he's not an ancestor of mine, however I have several families who lived in the Canongate in the 1870's, so there is every chance that some of my lot would have walked passed Tam, may even have talked to him, might even have bought stuff off him.

The point is this though, if they were alive today and looked at this photo and many many more like it, they would instantly recognize who the people are, they may even have told you a story or two about them & that's a link to the past, a link that when I look at this photo I'm looking through the eyes of my ancestors and seeing what they saw.

That is why this thread is fabulous and everyone who has posted photos can take great pride in that not only are they posting an old photo of streets & buildings often now long gone, but on many occasions they are also posting links to some folk's past.

There was also the Hokey Pokey man who sold ice-cream.

1234405400_HokeyPokeyseller.png.01fcb81542330dc66d55d4d32d10830c.png

Not sure how he kept it cold long enough in his wee cart

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Fxxx the SPFL
23 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

A tram on it's way to Blackpool - probably still in use !

At least they provided the transport to take it down.

20201216_165036.jpg

I'm sure that's in the Fleetwood Tram Museum was in there years ago

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

During the war my father met a young medical student when they wee both doing ARP duties at the now Pollock Halls. The man Jack Martin was also an ardent Hearts fan, so they became real good friends. It turned out he was the son of Martins the baker owner, he came to our house every Saturday and brought with him lovely cakes and other baked goods. He graduated in medicine and I am not sure if he ever practised as a doctor, he did open an old folks care home. Due to his commitments there he was unable to attend games and he gave my father his season ticket for a couple of rows behind the Directors box. He gave me an excellent reference when I applied for the police, and they stayed friends untill my Dad passed here in Canada.

They were the bakers I remember most growing up. Seem to be everywhere.

1270919873_image(18).thumb.jpg.0e17dcc19b716bf48e2c688fca139373.jpg

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

I'm sure that's in the Fleetwood Tram Museum was in there years ago

Nice one 👍 

Good of them to look after it like that

39 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Is Maroon Sailor on the tram in the middle, instead of on his usual 

7E7C64FA-F186-4F03-ACDE-1A936745AF18.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That’s Lothian Road, isn’t it?

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Is Maroon Sailor on the tram in the middle, instead of on his usual 

7E7C64FA-F186-4F03-ACDE-1A936745AF18.jpeg

Trams would have been out of my pocket money reach.

What am I saying I didn't get pocket money - I did a morning paper round and a milk round to earn my way as a kid !

Worker not a shirker

Edited by Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They were the bakers I remember most growing up. Seem to be everywhere.

1270919873_image(18).thumb.jpg.0e17dcc19b716bf48e2c688fca139373.jpg

People queuing on Hogmany for their supply of loaves.

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Trams would have been out of my pocket money reach.

So, you took to the High Seas?

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

So, you took to the High Seas?

I could afford to buy a tram now !

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Thought it was.  I passed the entrance exams in circa 1972 but because we were struggling a bit financially, and Heriot's was fee paying I said to my Mum I would not go there and ended up elsewhere.  I still remember walking through the gates, the long walk up to the old main building, sitting in an seat with a wooden desk in some sort of big room, probably the assembly room, not sure.  I just felt I was in the wrong place so even though I passed the exams it was an easy decision to not go.

I sat the exams in 1969. I wasn't happy about going. All my pals were going to Currie High School except me. Iirc my first term fees were £28. God knows what they are now

Maroon Sailor

Anyone know this street ?

Must have been some hit for all those crates and bottles to end up like that.

Casual observer looking on

20201216_195116.thumb.jpg.53b90f064d7797dc519ffe5e29fac922.jpg

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What does that milk float say on the front?

Edinburgh & Dumfrieshire ?

20201217_164323.jpg.7f7db1ffa25d47366da487d50f4b3673.jpg

Correct,

There depot was just of Harrison Road.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Correct,

There depot was just of Harrison Road.

👍

Strange to link Edinburgh and Dumfries with milk

Edited by Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

👍

Strange to link Edinburgh and Dumfries with milk

It’s a strange one.

There was also Murchies milk whose depot was at Tollcross.