Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Hugh Leckie and Sons coal yard, St Loenards after a wee bit of research.

A fellow KB'er was brought up directly opposite.

Over to him ........

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

During the war my father met a young medical student when they wee both doing ARP duties at the now Pollock Halls. The man Jack Martin was also an ardent Hearts fan, so they became real good friends. It turned out he was the son of Martins the baker owner, he came to our house every Saturday and brought with him lovely cakes and other baked goods. He graduated in medicine and I am not sure if he ever practised as a doctor, he did open an old folks care home. Due to his commitments there he was unable to attend games and he gave my father his season ticket for a couple of rows behind the Directors box. He gave me an excellent reference when I applied for the police, and they stayed friends untill my Dad passed here in Canada.

My Dad worked for Martins, in fact I think he worked for just about every bakers in Edinburgh at some point or another.

I remember him telling me that back in the late 50's early 60's a time served master baker could pretty much walk into any bakehouse and get a job right there and then and start right away, such was the demand for master bakers.

20 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Worked at the bottling hall in Drybroughs Brewery at Peffermill in the early 70s. Now mostly flats. The building in front is Holyrood Architectural Salvage.

I am not sure why that picture seems to bring back some memories to me. Might have something to do with an after stag party at the  pub in Duddingston Village a number of us attended the brewery on a prearranged invitation for a few pints. One member, not the most popular at best of times rattled his trap more than usually,  insulting or snide. He was advised to shut it on numerous occasions, and was told by one person to shut it, he didn't and was rewarded with a right cross that broke his jaw. I was on my way to work the next afternoon when he approached me the next day to apologise for his behaviour as his assailant and I were target of his comments, I confess that his jumbled and obviously painful wired jaw made speech difficult, but it was so funny I couldn't  resist laughing.  Too old now but it might have been interesting to relate in a book some of the brewery, pub and other anecdotes I can recall from these good old days Most are deid or like myself near deid so the stories will all go with us, which is probably a good thing.

Edited by Sharpie

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This is Casey's - don't remember it myself but popular by all accounts

813869357_image(17).thumb.jpg.1b77b62a081050611e16f81c54691a2f.jpg

Casey''s was, if I remember correctly, in St Mary Street. They also had another shop in Abbeyhill,  on the corner of East & West Norton place on the junction between London Road & Easter Road. It''s now a kilt hire shop.

This shop was originally occupied by Archie Buchanan an ex Hibs player who I think ran it as a newsagents.

On a bus the other day going through Abbeyhill,  I was trying to remember a lot of the shop names of my childhood, trying and occasionally succeeding. Mostly I recalled the names of the old shops but couldn't quite place exactly which premises they occupied. 

Such is the lot of a man on the slow slide towards 70.

Edited by argyjambo
Adding material

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, argyjambo said:

Casey''s was, if I remember correctly, in St Mary Street. They also had another shop in Abbeyhill,  on the corner of East & West Norton place on the junction between London Road & Easter Road. It''s now a kilt hire shop.

On a bus the other day going through Abbeyhill,  I was trying to remember a lot of the shop names of my childhood, trying and occasionally succeeding. Mostly I recalled the names of the old shops but couldn't quite place exactly which premises they occupied. 

Such is the lot of a man on the slow slide towards 70.

Was Casey’s similar to Jeanie Veitch’s?

J.T.F.Robertson
4 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Dunno, never heard of Jeannie Veitch's where & what was it?

Was a sweetie shoap.

I think it was around where I was dragged up (Pleasance) but can't remember, exactly.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, argyjambo said:

Dunno, never heard of Jeannie Veitch's where & what was it?

It was a sweet shop.

One branch at East Crosscauseway the other opposite the New Victoria/Odeon.

Fxxx the SPFL

Trams would have been out of my pocket money reach.

What am I saying I didn't get pocket money - I did a morning paper round and a milk round to earn my way as a kid !

Worker not a shirker

milk round wee corner shop in Wheatfield Place and a paper round at Willie Bauld's newsagents gorgie road when around 10 years old and when in early teens a skittle laddie at Murrayfield Sports centre ten bob a game is what we got at the double handed bowling

Fxxx the SPFL
44 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I am not sure why that picture seems to bring back some memories to me. Might have something to do with an after stag party at the  pub in Duddingston Village a number of us attended the brewery on a prearranged invitation for a few pints. One member, not the most popular at best of times rattled his trap more than usually,  insulting or snide. He was advised to shut it on numerous occasions, and was told by one person to shut it, he didn't and was rewarded with a right cross that broke his jaw. I was on my way to work the next afternoon when he approached me the next day to apologise for his behaviour as his assailant and I were target of his comments, I confess that his jumbled and obviously painful wired jaw made speech difficult, but it was so funny I couldn't  resist laughing.  Too old now but it might have been interesting to relate in a book some of the brewery, pub and other anecdotes I can recall from these good old days Most are deid or like myself near deid so the stories will all go with us, which is probably a good thing.

that's a shame Bob you should maybe pen a book of old stories and i'm sure you've plenty years left 

40 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

milk round wee corner shop in Wheatfield Place and a paper round at Willie Bauld's newsagents gorgie road when around 10 years old and when in early teens a skittle laddie at Murrayfield Sports centre ten bob a game is what we got at the double handed bowling

Used to stop when I was driving home from night shift at Willies shop and pick up my morning paper, He was a man of a few words, precisely none.

37 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

that's a shame Bob you should maybe pen a book of old stories and i'm sure you've plenty years left 

Too late and some of the memories would be cruel to offspring and grandchildren of the subjects. I am sure I have related the tale of myself on the Middle Meadow Walk beat and my good friend  and partner on the Marshal street beat being told there was a policeman lying on the bench in Middle Meadow Walk opposite the SOPD. We went and it was our section sergeant, drunk as a skunk, so we went to SOPD got a trolley and a blanket, loaded him on and put the blanket over him. Back to SOPD where they found a corner he could be left in.  We were told he awakened at 5.30am walked out said nothing, and I guess rang off and went home, never mentioned it.  

When I got back to police work in Canada I became ambitious and done no nonsense, and didn't put up with any, when some smartass got caught and tried to BS me he dad no idea of the experience I had and few avoided disciplinary action by trying to outsmart the boss. I had learned in the school of excellence in malingering, and was as a ranking officer an expert on all stories and excuses.

image.thumb.jpeg.04331bf792bc58ac13b25af665a0582e.jpeg

Taylors Bakery, Canonmills.

Where my Mum & Dad met for the first time, she was a confectioners assistant, she used to put the icing and decorations etc on cakes, chocolates, biscuits etc, and my dad got a job there as a baker in about 1951/2, they married a year and a bit later.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

John Cox and Son either side of the bakers - strange

20201217_205012.jpg.fb1e43a9b2eb8fba4770e2ecaa3bde0f.jpg

Lauriston Buildings, think there was a few businesses dotted around the city that had the same setup.

luckyBatistuta

20201217_191142.jpg.2c7db537c6959ec2f8a22b1a6ce33e5a.jpg

Think that’s Warrender Park Terrace in the background, used to sledge down there myself as a kid.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Lauriston Buildings, think there was a few businesses dotted around the city that had the same setup.

Strategically parking his van in front of the bakers to make things awkward for the delivery of the custard slices and bread rolls !

Who needs cycling bollards ?!

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Strategically parking his van in front of the bakers to make things awkward for the delivery of the custard slices and bread rolls !

Who needs cycling bollards ?!

:lol: Good spot

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It is 👍

Cracking photo. My grandparents used to live on Lockharton avenue. Their balcony looked out on to the pond. 

Doctor FinnBarr
7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

👍

Strange to link Edinburgh and Dumfries with milk

They had a depot in Blackburn too, think the electric cart in the pic would have been dark red. They then (I think) rebranded to E and D (big change) and the carts were yellow and white.

Bottom of Leith Street 1955, with Broughton Street straight ahead.

Little King Street is on the left before the building with the canopy, which is the shell of Theatre Royal which closed after a fire in 1946.  The buildings on the right were part of a triangle of buildings, where the roundabout is now, with Picardy Place at the back of them.  With the pawnbrokers on the left, it ties in nicely with the photo of the tram on Leith Street.

looking-down-broughton-st.jpg

joondalupjambo
14 hours ago, inspector said:

I sat the exams in 1969. I wasn't happy about going. All my pals were going to Currie High School except me. Iirc my first term fees were £28. God knows what they are now

Thank God I never went because I would have failed Maths!!  I also sat the exams in 1969, not circa 72.  I would have been 12 when I sat them I think so why I put down 72 in my initial post is anybody's guess:lol:  We might have been in the same hall at the same time.

Ah the old 28 quid scam.  I think you are right but with all these things there were add on's if I recall.  There was a basic term fee then they added on stuff like books!!  You know the things that state schools provided:lol:

Did you recall a guy called Ian Young?  He would have been in that cohort as well and he lived a few doors down from me in Learmonth Crescent.

15 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Anyone know this street ?

Must have been some hit for all those crates and bottles to end up like that.

Casual observer looking on

20201216_195116.thumb.jpg.53b90f064d7797dc519ffe5e29fac922.jpg

If you zoom in on the pub sign it says Drummond Arms which was in Drummond Street. Maybe Sharpie could confirms this.

Maroon Sailor
35 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

If you zoom in on the pub sign it says Drummond Arms which was in Drummond Street. Maybe Sharpie could confirms this.

Never noticed the sign

It is Drummond street

image.png.b6cb18e1b088e7a50eceffad7405ccfa.png

20201218_091838.thumb.jpg.0ee30fc7b4a1c6d22b4bb72fd27e8c8a.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
37 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I would say the Pleasance.

Maroon Sailor

Now there's a man who doesn't want to be out shopping with the Mrs

Anyone know what shop Bellmans was ?

20201218_095201.jpg.237a08019f359c33d7f462085885e7b5.jpg

2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Thank God I never went because I would have failed Maths!!  I also sat the exams in 1969, not circa 72.  I would have been 12 when I sat them I think so why I put down 72 in my initial post is anybody's guess:lol:  We might have been in the same hall at the same time.

Ah the old 28 quid scam.  I think you are right but with all these things there were add on's if I recall.  There was a basic term fee then they added on stuff like books!!  You know the things that state schools provided:lol:

Did you recall a guy called Ian Young?  He would have been in that cohort as well and he lived a few doors down from me in Learmonth Crescent.

Probably were in the same hall. The assembly hall at the Vennel gate? Name rings a bell but l wouldn't recognise him now. The add-ons were things like uniform, sports gear but being 12 years old, it never entered my head. The books etc wasn't too bad. At the end of the year we were given a booklist and bought the next year's books from the year above.

wentworth jambo
52 minutes ago, inspector said:

Probably were in the same hall. The assembly hall at the Vennel gate? Name rings a bell but l wouldn't recognise him now. The add-ons were things like uniform, sports gear but being 12 years old, it never entered my head. The books etc wasn't too bad. At the end of the year we were given a booklist and bought the next year's books from the year above.

I got invited to do the entrance exam in 1981 as a Foundationer as my Dad passed away when i Was 10 - passed that and they pay for everything - fees. books even lunch and any school trips I wanted to go on - went to Paris and Belgium among others.

20201218_094548.jpg.9166d05bb902a3a24559b36a2b06e27f.jpg

How the hell they got away with building that monstrosity in the heart of our beautiful city, unbelievable

It was a wool shop.

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Or a man photographed with somebody who he should have not been with, either way looks one unhappy bunny so probably a Hibee :lol: