Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

I am probably being repetitive when I say this thread is absolutely fantastic for me, the history is not only that of Edinburgh but is also my own personal history by the places. I can look at some of these places and in my old head I relate to the sights, hear the sounds and see some of the people now long gone. Recently I had reason to comment that if my wife and I walked out of lifes door right then we would never have to say " I wish we had", I feel the same about my childhood and young life in the places featured within this thread. What a gift, what a school of life we attended, and what a life it prepared me for, I feel so sad for the youngsters of today, there are so many things they are missing because of the electronic aids they  avail themselves of, now no wonder the world for us oldies anyway is such a mess.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl Fredrickson
43 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

image.jpeg.3470c0267e38a52018b9209bd534246f.jpeg

That is the kind of image I saw - I dont like it but Edinburgh Council will no doubt press on with it if the private funders threaten to pull out if it doesnt get permission

13 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Arthur Street, Hare's Pub

Arthur Street, another well known for a new polis street. That beat the box right at the foot of Arthur Street, everywhere you went a hill to climb. Right where that picture was taken from a man lived in the stair. He was a well known cat burglar, hitting mainly the big houses in the Mayfield area. The "busies" C.I.D used to try and follow his car but always lost him. They would come to the lowly beat man, me, and tell him to watch for the man when he returned. Often when he did he would see me and tell me he was home for the night, but dinnae let the busies know we dinnae want them relaxing. As I was no better to the busies than him I sometimes forget to tell them he was home and laughed when I saw them hiding in their obvious polis car waiting for him to come home.

Edited by Sharpie

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

A better image for you Bob

SOUTH SIDE - BRISTO AREA (12)

Dante's next door

Wonder if it was this one

1489265669_b25lY21zOjlkMDk5M2RhLTkxMDItNDc4Ni05YzAzLTJhZjU5NjRhMWJhNzpmNDQ4NjE0YS0wYjI2LTQ0NGMtYWIwZC1jMDM0NmJiOTU0NGY.thumb.jpg.3ad540c70fada604bb3ef0fd20d5e388.jpg8

Maroon Sailor

An area that hasn't really changed that much. Pavement widened on the statue side but that's about it

975f55fc-251b-407c-8f5c-ac0166f8d913.jpeg.495a3079b0018ce69ab721bde974f907.jpeg 

Maroon Sailor

Strange seeing transport going in that direction here. Can only assume that bus is going up Morrison Street towards Tollcross. Can't remember Morrison Street be anything but a one way system towards Haymarket

931d287d-bd84-4266-9850-7e8c4731d7ba.thumb.jpeg.0e96da7239571ababb76e75ea3f3f51d.jpeg

14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

808x454_cmsv2_cf2796e9-9f04-5a85-a124-4730cb286212-4329922.jpg

I remember the original prefabs around that area in the early 60s. 

Ann Budge's brother used to live close to there back in the early 80s. 

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Dante's next door

Wonder if it was this one

1489265669_b25lY21zOjlkMDk5M2RhLTkxMDItNDc4Ni05YzAzLTJhZjU5NjRhMWJhNzpmNDQ4NjE0YS0wYjI2LTQ0NGMtYWIwZC1jMDM0NmJiOTU0NGY.thumb.jpg.3ad540c70fada604bb3ef0fd20d5e388.jpg8

Dante Lannie, pretty good guy, knew him well, is he still around.

4 hours ago, Sharpie said:

You  know I can't, but I was four when the war started  and the West Meadows had spiked wldd steel things to stab paratroopers if they tried to land on that open expanse, and the rst of th meadows seemed to be taken up with allotments where those who had one grew vegetables, my Dad actually had one. The sheep in my day wee in the Park.

I was telling the Mrs just recently that I could remember sheep running about Holyrood park, she didn't believe me.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

I was telling the Mrs just recently that I could remember sheep running about Holyrood park, she didn't believe me.

It was still happening in the 1960s. 

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is this place a Kwik Fit now ?

47 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

yes, strange that it has retained a clock

Is it not a Farmer Autocare?

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It was still happening in the 1960s. 

I wouldn't remember it in the 60's, I'm not quite old enough. A quick Google shows it was 1977 they were removed.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Is it not a Farmer Autocare?

It's a while since I've been "home" but I seem to recall it was a Kwik Fit a few years back. 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's a while since I've been "home" but I seem to recall it was a Kwik Fit a few years back. 

It was but Tom Farmer bought some of the branches and rebranded them.

Screenshot_20201207-003437.png

J.T.F.Robertson
6 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Princes Street Gardens - 1900s

That backdrop! 😲

Amazing how little it has changed after all this time.

13 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

That backdrop! 😲

Amazing how little it has changed after all this time.

Let's face it aside from war or a terrorist attack it will probably never change thankfully. 

J.T.F.Robertson
15 minutes ago, graygo said:

Let's face it aside from war or a terrorist attack it will probably never change thankfully. 

Not while I'm kicking, right enough.

Old Meadowbank was Leith Athletics home ground. When I played for Southside Police in the I think it was Wednesday Amateur league we played there sometimes. The first time I played there was the first time I was on a team that had a dressing room under a grandstand, we didn't run out on to the pitch but In my wee mind I heard the crowd in the ground and the stand shouting Sharpie, Sharpie, sure it was an empty stand, empty ground, but I finally played on a ground where professionals had played and in front of a real stand. A whole lot better than our home pitch which was in the Granton area right under the big Gas tanks at the Granton gasworks.

Maroon Sailor
8 hours ago, Sharpie said:

There is a Dante restaurant in Colinton Village

Dantes-restaurant-in-Colinton-Edinburgh.jpg.78b01522239e4d37d68dcf5ab62eada5.jpg

Maroon Sailor
8 hours ago, graygo said:

It was but Tom Farmer bought some of the branches and rebranded them.

Screenshot_20201207-003437.png

image.thumb.png.24e0feb46ba103ab5091298a5cf87ee2.png

Was Telford Road there when it was originally built? Seems strange to build a garage on a corner like that.

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

There is a Dante restaurant in Colinton Village

Dantes-restaurant-in-Colinton-Edinburgh.jpg.78b01522239e4d37d68dcf5ab62eada5.jpg

Different Dante, but also a good guy.

19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

image.thumb.png.24e0feb46ba103ab5091298a5cf87ee2.png

Was Telford Road there when it was originally built? Seems strange to build a garage on a corner like that.

Telford Road was built in the 1920's no idea when this building was built but it's address is listed as Telford Road so maybe at the same time.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Telford Road was built in the 1920's no idea when this building was built but it's address is listed as Telford Road so maybe at the same time.

Cheers

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Different Dante, but also a good guy.

Apparently Dante Lannie had a son called Dante and also another son called Dino who is through in Glasgow.

Could be the son who owns the restaurant in Colinton

41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I remember those little City Sprinter buses. They didn't last long though

446569694_TheBestThingstoSeeandDoinBruntsfieldMorningsideEdinburgh(1).jpeg.5598d47a01fdd45b9b672f2a0459686a.jpeg

Didn’t realise how long the Himalaya has been there.  This must late 80s/early 90s maybe?

Maroon Sailor
9 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

Didn’t realise how long the Himalaya has been there.  This must late 80s/early 90s maybe?

I would say that's right.

Governor Tarkin
30 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Apparently Dante Lannie had a son called Dante and also another son called Dino who is through in Glasgow.

Could be the son who owns the restaurant in Colinton

Dante Margiotta own's the restaurant in colinton. He originally ran a sweetie shop/newsagent on the same premesis called The Snuff Box but told me he always harboured the ambition to become a restauranteur - which he eventually did late 90's. He's still involved but his laddies run it now. Nice family.

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Dante Margiotta own's the restaurant in colinton. He originally ran a sweetie shop/newsagent on the same premesis called The Snuff Box but told me he always harboured the ambition to become a restauranteur - which he eventually did late 90's. He's still involved but his laddies run it now. Nice family.

Ah right - I do remember The Snuff Box

Good info

Carl Fredrickson
8 hours ago, gjcc said:

A different angle...

094517A4-5302-42BE-8426-DCEB692B2CD2.jpeg

It is a great pic. The old St Margarets Yard where St Ms House and Meadowbank House now stand. Didnt appreciate the scale of the old railway yard. 

12 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Dante Benedetto Lannie aged 61, died in 1991.

If this is the same guy you knew.

Fxxx the SPFL
16 hours ago, Sharpie said:

My father and I followed the Monarchs from day one. It was the Monarchs Saturday night in the summer, and the Hearts Saturday afternoon and Music Hall for Amateur boxing  Saturday night. Nae telly. On Sundays if I wan't away on the bikes with faither, it was Meadowbank with the pals to see if the speedway riders needed pushers after they had done repairs or service to their bikes.

I mind too Bob my old man took me to watch the speedway at Meadowbank i used to get hell from my mother when i got home as i would stand down at one of the bends and get covered in orange grit my auld man stood well back but he copped the flak as well lol. my late father did a bit of speedway when he was younger although a Leither and Hibby to boot he used to ride at Newtongrange i think. he had a burn scar on his leg stupid arse had a box of matches (smoker) in his leathers came off at a bend the matches ignited and burnt his leg.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Mcleod Street, Gorgie

McLeod St but where on it?

Is this just to the side of the terracing - there is/was a stone masons there ? 

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is this just to the side of the terracing - there is/was a stone masons there ? 

Gerards Yard was the stonemasons in wheatfield street

22 hours ago, Sharpie said:

My father and I followed the Monarchs from day one. It was the Monarchs Saturday night in the summer, and the Hearts Saturday afternoon and Music Hall for Amateur boxing  Saturday night. Nae telly. On Sundays if I wan't away on the bikes with faither, it was Meadowbank with the pals to see if the speedway riders needed pushers after they had done repairs or service to their bikes.

Used to go to powder hall with my dad. Got the badges with the year bars somewhere. Remember seeing Belle Vue there, was it the lad Collins who was world champ or something?

9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I remember those little City Sprinter buses. They didn't last long though

446569694_TheBestThingstoSeeandDoinBruntsfieldMorningsideEdinburgh(1).jpeg.5598d47a01fdd45b9b672f2a0459686a.jpeg

As a young man I had a very very memorable experience in that telephone box.