Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

been here before
10 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Is any kind Jambo able to post any pics of Murrayburn school from 1962 till1968 Cheers

Theres a few if you type in what your looking for into Google and click on images.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont have any photos I can post

I do have a few memories of staying in the prefabs at the Calder

I loved winters then and often the canal was frozen over and we made slides and played football and some other daft games

I can remember the working farm there at the canal where Calder View is now and I even remember there were still a few working horse drawn barges taking stuff to Fountainbridge

I remember the Christmas parties at the old POW huts 

I remember the shops St Cuthbers store was at the top of our road but my Mum always shopped at Grieves there was a post office next to Grieves that was also a drapers

It was a great place to stay

52 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Going by the signs, it looks like they've already built a new store behind where the old one was.

coop.jpg

Cheers.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

Just looked on google maps and there's a new building under constriction.  The Co-op had hoped to demolish the Gorgie store too and build a new store with student flats above it, but the council knocked that one back.

Its Scot-Mid in Gorgie, Co-op are in Dalry. We honestly are 2 different companies although we supply Scot-Mid with a certain amount of goods just because they ain't big enough to run a warehouse, they also get supplies from elsewhere.

wentworth jambo
15 hours ago, argyjambo said:

I worked for Electronic Banking as it was known then, from 1990-2000. I loved that job, was in Norwich for 3 years then back to Edinburgh covering an area from Fife to the Shetland Islands. I ended up managing the help desk, ( not my cup of tea) then running a customer care operation involved with a large-scale migration of customers from one platform to another. Did you work in this area, perhaps in SE England? My initials are AP

Sorry mate - I got the job at Orchard Brae pretty much on leaving school in 1987 - was there for a year and bit I think and move to Robertson Avenue. Left BoS in 1990 though and moved to the Gas Board at Granton.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Blackhall?

It's down as Craigleith

Blackhall and Craigleith seems to be combined though. I wouldn't know if I was in Blackhall or Craigleith

1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Junction of Craigleith and Queensferry Roads. Was using Blackhall in a more general way.

That's what I was thinking. There's a house that looks like that on the corner and I think the towers to the right will be Stewart Melville's.

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201213_220300.jpg.c68645c71f109bfe1943b098168c121d.jpg

Road to the right is Queensferry Road to the Left Craigleith Road and very sharp left (barely in the picture is Groathill Rd South. The Shops you can just about see are now the entrance to Craigleith retail park. 

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201214_085012.jpg

my gran used to take me there for matinees in the early sixties but there used to be a Saturday late x rated film for the dirty mac brigade i beleive although x rated then would probably be tea time TV now

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

queensferry street looking towards the west end

You sure, looks like looking up Broughton Street to me🤷‍♂️

luckyBatistuta
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

You sure, looks like looking up Broughton Street to me🤷‍♂️

Edit: actually doesn’t look like Broughton Street to me now either, can’t place it.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Edit: actually doesn’t look like Broughton Street to me now either, can’t place it.

It'll be Leith somewhere.

10 tram going to Granton 

35 bus going to Lochend

Can't place it myself

image.png.02a586b1750ea94071722030a2e4ca75.png

Edited by Maroon Sailor

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It'll be Leith somewhere.

10 tram going to Granton 

35 bus going to Lochend

Can't place it myself

Now thinking Leith street and that’s why I can’t recognise all those flats and shops, as they’re now flattened.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Were the police only used during peak times at these junctions before traffic lights came in ?

20201210_205836.thumb.jpg.cbb1b2357e28c7366182bc8320ae5848.jpg

No, the West End, was it Hanover Street the Mound and Waverley Bridge and Post Office were full shift points, some at rush hours and busy times had two men working at offset intersections. A Division had a full time pointsman at Salisbury Place ,Minto Street, and another at Abbeyhill at the Y intersection. There were full time points at Ardmillan and Tollcross. It wasn't other than when buses started ,and you wee inhaling exhaust fumes ,but it was a full time day shift job, with frequent reliefs by the beat man.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

No, the West End, was it Hanover Street the Mound and Waverley Bridge and Post Office were full shift points, some at rush hours and busy times had two men working at offset intersections. A Division had a full time pointsman at Salisbury Place ,Minto Street, and another at Abbeyhill at the Y intersection. There were full time points at Ardmillan and Tollcross. It wasn't other than when buses started ,and you wee inhaling exhaust fumes ,but it was a full time day shift job, with frequent reliefs by the beat man.

I wouldn't fancy that job myself, pretty hard going on the feet and head I would suspect.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

George Square, ith the new building I mistakenly referred to on another post. I think😃

It’s the university building directly opposite Appleton Tower.

3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Now thinking Leith street and that’s why I can’t recognise all those flats and shops, as they’re now flattened.

Is it Leith Street where it turned into where the old Theatre Royal was

23 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It’s the university building directly opposite Appleton Tower.

I've been in that building when it is actually swaying in the wind.

joondalupjambo
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20201215_102143.jpg

I will say Leith Street looking back up towards Princes Street with the Pawnbrokers being on the corner of Little King Street where the entrance to John Lewis is now. 

First thought it was Home Street with Lochrin Terrace on the right, looking back up towards the Kings but it was the faint outlines of what appear to be buildings that threw me off that idea.

My first thoughts were 

luckyBatistuta
27 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Is it Leith Street where it turned into where the old Theatre Royal was

13 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I will say Leith Street looking back up towards Princes Street with the Pawnbrokers being on the corner of Little King Street where the entrance to John Lewis is now. 

First thought it was Home Street with Lochrin Terrace on the right, looking back up towards the Kings but it was the faint outlines of what appear to be buildings that threw me off that idea.

My first thoughts were 

My thoughts are it’s Leith Street, where the building’s on the right would effectively be where the entrance to John Lewis opposite the Omni is.

5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

4AB9648C-12D9-451D-B83C-9E9D2D7FCDD7.jpeg

0E85B283-79BE-4060-9FAA-43A68643F489.jpeg

EAD6819A-A973-4DD4-B910-8EC1DF00BE16.jpeg

6021A5B3-7506-427A-A0EC-D01E13219606.jpeg

F892BE21-A499-4E6A-9CF2-FBDD2F5F00B6.jpeg

On a Sunday my father and I used to bicycle from South Oxfprd Street to Queensferry. Get on the Ferry to Fife, and cycle the coastal road to Kincardine. Had some lunch at my aunts ,fathers sister who lived on a military base there as a result of her husband being a war injury victim. He was a scaffie in Leven Fife and either struck a mine with his broom on the beach or exploded on its own, but he suffered some minor injuries and was permanently deafened thus the house. After a wee lunch we bicycled across the Kincardine Bridge, got on the road back to Edinburgh in time for Sunday dinner. That was a pretty average Sunday ride, no wonder I was fit, and to some extent still am.

31 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Doesn't look like Murrayfield Ice Rink

Was there any others in Edinburgh ?

20201215_185039.thumb.jpg.e8fdb01493de46bd816f4f919789344f.jpg

Think there was one at Haymarket many years ago?

18 minutes ago, Jambo314 said:

Think there was one at Haymarket many years ago?

Yes there wqs one at Haymarket it closed during the war and was used for military vehicles. Reopened as a rink was used for curling and skating, Murrayfield rink came later. We used to rent skates and circle around interminably  

Lots of lassies but they all seemed to be able to skate better than us, the old saying if you cannae catch them, you cannae court them, so it was back on Sunday to the museum and circle around the galleries, at least you could catch up wi the lassies and get insultingly rejected. So down to the Mound on Sunday night and patrol around there, couldnae even catch a cold.

Edited by Sharpie

7 minutes ago, Ally Bee said:

I think the ice rink is the Murrayfield curling rink. Too modern to be the old Haymarket one and too big to be the one at Gogar that RBS demolished.

Yeah would tend to agree.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, westbow said:

I've been in that building when it is actually swaying in the wind.

Think I’ll pass on that visit then.

Maroon Sailor

Where exactly in Haymarket was it ? Can't visualise where it would fit in unless it was where the old Morrison Street car park was that is currently under construction

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Where exactly in Haymarket was it ? Can't visualise where it would fit in unless it was where the old Morrison Street car park was that is currently under construction

Right beside the station. Close to the new entrance heading towards the station yards where offices are now.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Ally Bee said:

Right beside the station. Close to the new entrance heading towards the station yards where offices are now.

Thanks 👍

On 05/12/2020 at 20:49, Janbo1874 said:

10857121_853158401408511_2529705353574920356_o.jpeg

Jambo 1874, do you know who the person in this photo is & when it was taken? My reason for asking is that it is a remarkable likeness to an old schoolfriend of mine and who is also the wife of another such frI end.  Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Still struggling to try and send the photo to said schoolfriend, any pointers would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Doctor FinnBarr
26 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Jambo 1874, do you know who the person in this photo is & when it was taken? My reason for asking is that it is a remarkable likeness to an old schoolfriend of mine and who is also the wife of another such frI end.  Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Still struggling to try and send the photo to said schoolfriend, any pointers would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

I seem to know her face too but I'm guessing she's maybe been on telly.