• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

I'm quite familiar with the Save Leith Walk campaign (I'm out there regularly).

Student developments arent all linked to Edinburgh Uni. Thats a slight misconception. Students from all the unis (in Edinburgh that is. I'm at Stirling, I couldn't move into one) and colleges get to use them and often depending where they're based, is who gets preference in them. Part of their problem is they are extortionate to live in, so rather than relieve the pressure on private lets (which is what they were meant to do), many shun them doing the opposite.

The first article says both sides want to work with the uni. 

Wasn’t meaning Edinburgh University, just the universities as a whole. Off the top of my head, just recently we’ve had Fountainbridge, Gorgie, Chester, Leith (now more) My brother in law tried to buy the land at the bottom of gilmerton rd to build flats, but his plans were rejected because there was a listed building on the site. There is now student blocks of flats being built now on this site. There are probably quite a few more that I haven’t named. I know the universities are a great thing for this city, but there is also a price to pay too. Sorry the reply took so long, left to play golf with the kids and will be going back out for another round in a short while, so my next reply (if there is one:laugh:) might be a while :thumb:

Anyway, I should maybe just shut up and save this for another thread, don’t want to derail a very good one.

luckyBatistuta

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Before that name it was Tiffany's iirc. My sister saw Deep Purple there in the early 70's. 

Your sister saw deep purple inside the club.  :oohmatron:

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, ando1504 said:

The middle one escapes me.

Untitled6.jpg

Untitled5.jpg

Just doesn’t look like the Pleasance as it is today

51EC633D-E0D1-4D25-B47E-EBEF7E5CD34B.jpeg

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Your sister saw deep purple inside the club.  :oohmatron:

They were big back then!! ::troll:::oohmatron:

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just doesn’t look like the Pleasance as it is today

51EC633D-E0D1-4D25-B47E-EBEF7E5CD34B.jpeg

Back then some of the city's worst slums were in that area.

Seymour M Hersh

Here's a couple of Corstorphine Station date unknown. And also the George iv Bridge arch in the Cowgate again date unknown.

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_rce107b_corstorphine.jpg

Corstorphine-Railway-Station-Photo-Edinburgh-Line-North-British.jpg

2929282990_2ab68358ec_o.jpg

And possibly the same arch more recently!

0_street_views_-_cowgate_and_south_bridge_2004_1024.jpg

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Its Edinburgh;s history, but so much of it and these pictures are my childhood, teenage years, and young adulthood places, one man's history another man's life.  Its so good to be able to look back with so many memories.  This thread is right up with the Depression thread as one of JKB'S best.  Thanks for the memories.|

Randy Marsh
16 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The Pleasance photo is of Macpherson's pub 165 & 165A The Pleasance

Macpherson's pub 165&165A Pleasance.jpeg

Macpherson's Pub2 .jpeg

Has this building been demolished?  Just cant make out where it is.  Is it now where new houses are, Gilmour St?

2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Macpherson's Pub2 .jpeg

Looks like it was here, building on the right in the first pic appears to be the Deaconess.

Untitled6.jpg

Untitled7.jpg

Edited by ando1504

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

2929282990_2ab68358ec_o.jpg

And possibly the same arch more recently!

0_street_views_-_cowgate_and_south_bridge_2004_1024.jpg

That old arch looks like this one further up the Cowgate, below George IV Bridge.

cowgate.jpg

Seymour M Hersh
32 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

That old arch looks like this one further up the Cowgate, below George IV Bridge.

cowgate.jpg

Agreed. In fact  in the second of my photos you can see the George IV bridge further along the road. I think the near bridge is the one over North Bridge

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Macpherson's Pub2 .jpeg

Well done Stuart, just couldn’t work that one out, see it now.

42 minutes ago, ando1504 said:

Inverleith Row

Untitled7.jpg

Yup, wouldn’t have wanted to be on that. Must have been going at a fair old speed, plus none of the modern safety features we are accustomed to.

Maple Leaf

IMG_0384.jpg

At least one member of JKB was married in that church, which is now no longer an active church, or so I'm told.

Notice the WWI war memorial.  Forty-nine names from one wee mining village on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

luckyBatistuta
30 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

IMG_0384.jpg

At least one member of JKB was married in that church, which is now no longer an active church, or so I'm told.

Notice the WWI war memorial.  Forty-nine names from one wee mining village on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

Don’t recognise it ML, where is it?

18 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

0D6AB5CA-EDDA-474D-A069-A7CC65C1A77A.jpeg

Love that picture showing the original North British hotel before they built it up.

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Love that picture showing the original North British hotel before they built it up.

Just imagine what the cost of a building with such architecture would actually cost and how long it would take nowadays, especially when you look at the cost and delays of the bland ERI and new Sick Kids. 

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Maple Leaf
3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Don’t recognise it ML, where is it?

Gilmerton.  :thumbsup:

Stuart Lyon

LB don't know the first one but the second is Heriot Bridge/Grassmarket, then the Waverley Steps and finally Newhaven

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

LB don't know the first one but the second is Heriot Bridge/Grassmarket, then the Waverley Steps and finally Newhaven

Correct with those Stuart. The other one is the West Port. I love the Grassmarket one, as that’s where my mum is from. I be that Volunteer Arms, was nowhere near as rough as the one that was recently on Leith Walk. The Newhaven one shows you how busy a place it was down there, as Newhaven Main Street is a pretty soulless place nowadays, compared to that photograph.

J.T.F.Robertson
20 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Before that name it was Tiffany's iirc. My sister saw Deep Purple there in the early 70's. 

Also the White Elephant, at one time?

Although I may be getting muxxed ip. :(

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

J.T.F.Robertson
11 hours ago, ando1504 said:

Looks like it was here, building on the right in the first pic appears to be the Deaconess.

Untitled6.jpg

Untitled7.jpg

Lower picture, at the far end, is what was then known as Charteris Pleasance Church. (Kirk o'Fields, now) Was a member of the Lifeboys and the 2nd BB's, there.

Top pic, lower right, you can just see the rooftop of our old place at "177".

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

stenhouse.png

Not my side of the City but that has to be Powderhall

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not my side of the City but that has to be Powderhall

Stenhouse, with Stenhouse Stadium.  I think it started for greyhound racing, but might have been used for other sports over the years.

Edited by Lemongrab
Because I'm an eejit.

Chester™

This has been a great thread. Fascinating viewing.

It might just be me though, but could we avoid turning it into another 'Where is this?' thread? I think its much more interesting if we get the pics, the history, discussion and how it looks now rather than a guessing game.

17 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

It might just be me though, but could we avoid turning it into another 'Where is this?' thread? I think its much more interesting if we get the pics, the history, discussion and how it looks now rather than a guessing game.

:thumbsup:

Here's that last one I posted, which was from 1932 with a similar view from Google Maps for comparison.  The prison has still to be built in the fields above the stadium ( you can see its car park in the Google view), and Saughton Mains now occupies the fields at top right.

5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

stenhouse.png

new_stenhouse.jpg

luckyBatistuta
40 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Think you’re right with this Chester and I’m one of the main culprits :thumb:

6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

F6D9CB41-7642-4B81-AE14-8EA516A2752C.jpeg

Buccleuch Street

E0DE943C-C749-43A3-A8A6-7ECA828F5C96.jpeg

Earl Grey Street looking towards the meadows

ECBD13AA-BE13-49B7-ADCE-CE35F3857DC1.jpeg

Castlebarns, Morrison Street

8D6A25D8-8D2A-4E7C-8FAB-17490C026F7B.jpeg

Corner of Nicholson Street and West Richmond Street

29 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Think you’re right with this Chester and I’m one of the main culprits :thumb:

Buccleuch Street

Earl Grey Street looking towards the meadows

Castlebarns, Morrison Street

Corner of Nicholson Street and West Richmond Street

That Cycle Shop in Morrison Street, i went there with money from my first pays at fifteen had just started working, and bought my first brand new bike a Dawes, racing handlebars, Derailleur gears, and on Saturday afternoons in the summer took off for long runs on the bike.  I think that bike was the first thing that I had truly earned for myself, that store is important to my past.

Jambothump
On 03/07/2018 at 11:04, Seymour M Hersh said:

Before that name it wase Tiffany's iirc. My sister saw Deep Purple there in the early 70's. 

Doubt that, I saw them at The Odeon in the early seventies and saw a lot of good bands at Tiffanny's Dave Edmunds Rockpile for one, and others, but it was a licenced venue :-)

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

Doubt that, I saw them at The Odeon in the early seventies and saw a lot of good bands at Tiffanny's Dave Edmunds Rockpile for one, and others, but it was a licenced venue :-)

I believe my sister 100%.

And hopefully this will confirm for you.

http://edinburghgigarchive.com/page23.htm

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Jambothump

I'm a big Deep Purple fan and can categorically state none of the original members in any shape or form played at that venue. Ian Gillan had a motorbike shop,  in the street opposite the Kings.

4 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Agree with this.

Maple Leaf

Before the purists jump all over me, I know that Queensferry is not in Edinburgh, but I think this picture is interesting.

Opened in 1890 (a mere 25 years after Americans stopped bashing each other over the head with muzzle-loading muskets), this bridge was, and is, an engineering marvel.  The official death toll for the bridge is 57, up to 73 if you include the building of the bridge approaches.

Image result for Forth bridge under construction

Seymour M Hersh
11 minutes ago, Jambothump said:

I'm a big Deep Purple fan and can categorically state none of the original members in any shape or form played at that venue. Ian Gillan had a motorbike shop,  in the street opposite the Kings.

Edinburgh, Tiffanys - UK leer.gif  Scottish Tour 1970 
    + tear gas
  Glasgow, Electric Garden - UK
    + tear gas
  Aberdeen, Concert Hall - UK
    + tear gas
  Dundee, Caird Hall - UK
    + tear gas