• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Fantastic picture. Love it

The copper looks like he is trying to be professional 

The wee boy in the blue on the right looking up with his scarf above his head !

The guy with the " It should have been ten " just below the right hand red surround Texaco sign

IMG_1085.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Harry Potter

Love this place, my gran stayed in comely bank place, great memories of people with their remote

controlled boats.

878418084.jpg

John Findlay
21 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Love this place, my gran stayed in comely bank place, great memories of people with their remote

controlled boats.

878418084.jpg

Inverleith pond. Very bad winter of 78/79. I remember ice skating on it in the dark. Ice was 2 feet thick in places.

Shanks said no

FarmBH.jpgFarming at Broomhouse Farm circa 1950

IrishC.jpgIrish Corner, High Street, Corstorphine circa 1890

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Maroon Sailor

Had no idea this was a hotel. I know it was known as HMS Claverhouse

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

Stuart Lyon

Harry Potter - I once saw a guy with a remote controlled duck at Inverleith Pond

The Granton Hotel - from 160 years ago today. I have a plan fo the cellar somewhere in the house.

Granton Hotel & Tavern 7Jul1858 copy.png

Edited by Stuart Lyon

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Had no idea this was a hotel. I know it was known as HMS Claverhouse

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

It's not a hotel. No longer HMS Claverhouse but is still MOD property.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It was a hotel back in the day, you can still see Granton Hotel on the brick work of the colour phot

What is it used for now ? Army Reserves ?

Edited by Maroon Sailor

John Findlay
47 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It was a hotel back in the day, you can still see Granton Hotel on the brick work of the colour phot

What is it used for now ? Army Reserves ?

Aye TA. With garage for vehicles.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

My memory of it was as a navy headquarters. My mother went there to visait her sailor nephew who was in custody for absence without leave.  I seem to remember after the war the Sea Cadets also worked out of there.  There was another naval camp in the Granton area, HMS Lochinvar, it was nissan huts, and was also used as was Duddingston Camp for homes after the war, I seem to recall a lot of these people were later allocated prefabs.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, bobsharp said:

My memory of it was as a navy headquarters. My mother went there to visait her sailor nephew who was in custody for absence without leave.  I seem to remember after the war the Sea Cadets also worked out of there.  There was another naval camp in the Granton area, HMS Lochinvar, it was nissan huts, and was also used as was Duddingston Camp for homes after the war, I seem to recall a lot of these people were later allocated prefabs.

Definitely Sea Cadets Bob. I believe Sea Cadets still meet there. In the 70s Lochinver was out at South Queensferry.

Carl Fredrickson

Been reading this thread for a few days and wanted to thank folk for posting pictures and memories of places in Edinburgh. 

Also thanks for the links to info about some of the photos - the wild west street at Morningside blew my mind. So many things about our city that I didnt know about. 

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

Walk along there every week going to visit my mum in Fraser Gardens, still totally familiar despite not living there for over 30 years. Steel built houses that were put up in 1923 as an experiment by the Scottish Special Housing Association for a few years and were never taken down. A lot of them have now been bricked in or had cladding put on the as they are bloody freezing in the winter. The only other steel houses in Edinburgh are the Finlay scheme just off Craigentinny Road. 

Edited by Tazio

Shanks said no

I had never noticed the sloping down glass at street level beside Princes Street before

Princes_Street

Montgomery Brewster
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The copper looks like he is trying to be professional 

The wee boy in the blue on the right looking up with his scarf above his head !

The guy with the " It should have been ten " just below the right hand red surround Texaco sign

IMG_1085.JPG

The thing about it I like most is that although it’s the past - all those faces (minus plod) - all wanted the same from what we want when we turn up at the new Tyne. A win.

Fortunately I was able to appreciate and witness the old Tynie.

different era. Different times. Same out come.

FTH

Shanks said no

We wondered why Greenside Place was knocked down having been called a slum........

This old pic shows Greenside Place, now the Omni Centre and various other glass fronted buildings stand. Edinburgh

22 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

The thing about it I like most is that although it’s the past - all those faces (minus plod) - all wanted the same from what we want when we turn up at the new Tyne. A win.

Fortunately I was able to appreciate and witness the old Tynie.

different era. Different times. Same out come.

FTH

At one game I was right in that area, two of us were sent in because there had been some trouble, it was packed a Rangers game. At one point Hearts were defending and Rangers attacked, the ball in the net, like many others I screamed offside, the Rangers fans all around us, heard me and boy I got some abuse being the polis and shouting offside.

Shanks said no

Bloody trams - Liberton

cd24c15f5b6ed4c27c74495dcc986d4e.jpg

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Montgomery Brewster
45 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

At one game I was right in that area, two of us were sent in because there had been some trouble, it was packed a Rangers game. At one point Hearts were defending and Rangers attacked, the ball in the net, like many others I screamed offside, the Rangers fans all around us, heard me and boy I got some abuse being the polis and shouting offside.

Well done Bob. 

I always enjoy your posts. A true gent. 

All the best. 

been here before
9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Cowgate - I think239bf0072f59d70f279b605e1e147dd1.jpg

Is that not John Knox's house?

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Is that not John Knox's house?

I zoomed in to the centre of the photo and thought the sign said Cowgate. I may be wrong though.

been here before
8 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I zoomed in to the centre of the photo and thought the sign said Cowgate. I may be wrong though.

Nah looking at it again its not John Knoxs house. Its sitting on a road going uphill where as Knoxs house is on a road downhill toward the Palace.

On 07/07/2018 at 10:26, John Findlay said:

The building behind and left of the clock is currently being demolished.  I have no idea what is taking its place but, if I was a betting man my money would be on flats/apartments.

Correct it’s going to be flats,I think there is plans for shops at the front on the street.

6 minutes ago, ando1504 said:

The Scottish National Exhibition in Saughton Park ran for only six months, attracting nearly 3.5 million visitors. It began with a plan to repeat the success of an earlier exhibition at The Meadows in 1886.

https://www.capitalcollections.org.uk/index.php?a=ViewItem&i=36627&WINID=1531044592146

Untitled9.jpg

Untitled9a.jpg

Here's a thread from a while back about the exhibition.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/42584-saughton-park-101-years-of-decay/&tab=comments#comment-854882

Bridge of Djoum

Image result for roseburn cliff

''Papes Cottages'' at Roseburn Cliff. One of the prettiest and least traveled small streets in the city. 21 houses, and the biggest one I think was owned by a man who did in the Piper Alpha incident.

I was the postie here many moons ago, always loved the few minutes I spent up there in the morning.

Edited by New York Fleapit

Maple Leaf
On 07/07/2018 at 05:05, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

I love these then and now pictures.  Thanks for posting.

The 'now' picture rarely shows a improved scene over the 'then' picture.

Of course it can't be portrayed in pictures, but the difference I see and would probably hear is the sound.  I think of South Oxford Street as a real young child. Two cars one was the bookie, the other a baker, and his car was only in the street at weekends and holidays. My bed was in the front bedroom, and at times you would hear the clipclop of a horse and cart delivering milk, and if having a long lie the swish of the scaffies broom made of some kind of twigs, tram cars which ran fairly silently, other than the squeal as they changed tracks or a tight bend,  there was a certain peacefulness about the lack of other than the occasional bus or truck loud engines, police and ambulances had bells and not the shrill sirens, I am stressed was not a phrase you ever heard. I got the twilight of these days, some of the older pictures show the really quiet days achieved without major sounds and rush and bustle.

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, Cade said:

Welcome back to the Ross Fountain.

Looking awesome in the summer sunshine.

36812302_1736935383059212_8279375831927619584_o.jpg

It is indeed.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Of course it can't be portrayed in pictures, but the difference I see and would probably hear is the sound.  I think of South Oxford Street as a real young child. Two cars one was the bookie, the other a baker, and his car was only in the street at weekends and holidays. My bed was in the front bedroom, and at times you would hear the clipclop of a horse and cart delivering milk, and if having a long lie the swish of the scaffies broom made of some kind of twigs, tram cars which ran fairly silently, other than the squeal as they changed tracks or a tight bend,  there was a certain peacefulness about the lack of other than the occasional bus or truck loud engines, police and ambulances had bells and not the shrill sirens, I am stressed was not a phrase you ever heard. I got the twilight of these days, some of the older pictures show the really quiet days achieved without major sounds and rush and bustle.

Great pout bob. I'm a schemie.  Mainly West Pilton and Royston. No exaggeration to say that even when I was a laddie you could play fitbaw in the street as their was genuinely hardly any cars as not many people could afford one. The same cannot be said of West Pilton and Royston today. You can't move on the streets for cars. Long gone are the coalman, rag and bone man, provi man and mobile grocer and fishmonger. Changes all for the better? I'm really not so sure.

Edited by John Findlay

Bridge of Djoum
22 hours ago, Tazio said:

Walk along there every week going to visit my mum in Fraser Gardens, still totally familiar despite not living there for over 30 years. Steel built houses that were put up in 1923 as an experiment by the Scottish Special Housing Association for a few years and were never taken down. A lot of them have now been bricked in or had cladding put on the as they are bloody freezing in the winter. The only other steel houses in Edinburgh are the Finlay scheme just off Craigentinny Road. 

I think those steel houses extend along one part of Restalrig Crescent, too. 

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Great pout bob. I'm a schemie.  Mainly West Pilton and Royston. No exaggeration to say that even when I was a laddie you could play fitbaw in the street as their was genuinely hardly any cars as not many people could afford one. The same cannot be said of West Pilton and Royston today. You can't move on the streets for cars. Long gone are the coalman, rag and bone man, provi man and mobile grocer and fishmonger. Changes all for the better? I'm really not so sure.

When I was a kid, I would sit with my pals at the side of Boswelll Parkway, beside Royston school, and count the cars as they drove past.  We would sit there for an hour an see maybe 20, if it was a busy day.

I know that sounds daft to today's kids, but there was a time that kids had to make their own entertainment.  Street games of football , cricket, and rounders, foot races around the block, kick-the-can, hide-and-go-seek, high jump competitions, back green concerts.  No TV of course, and the radio had only two stations, so it was a case of amuse yourselves or go crazy from boredom.

20 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

When I was a kid, I would sit with my pals at the side of Boswelll Parkway, beside Royston school, and count the cars as they drove past.  We would sit there for an hour an see maybe 20, if it was a busy day.

I know that sounds daft to today's kids, but there was a time that kids had to make their own entertainment.  Street games of football , cricket, and rounders, foot races around the block, kick-the-can, hide-and-go-seek, high jump competitions, back green concerts.  No TV of course, and the radio had only two stations, so it was a case of amuse yourselves or go crazy from boredom.

Ach you old farts and you're in my day shit, I am away to sit in the basement and play x box, until 1.00am, live a life of fantasy and read about how it was in the dark days when you were young, |I cannot wait until my new phone arrives and I get my new books from Amazon. Oh aye some mates and I are going to get out of the house in August and explore the neighbouring streets I have never really seen them.

John Findlay
28 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Did all that too maple. We had many a race round the streets when I was wee. 1970 we held our very own Commonwealth games amongsT the lads and lassies in Royston Mains Place.

Granton Road/Rosebank Grove (again harking back to the first post, you can see Granton Rd Station, next along the line from East Pilton)

24be60888d24224decca07bf57037b96--underground-tube-london-underground.jpg

Untitled9.jpg

On 06/07/2018 at 23:02, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1843.JPG

Is this 'The' Fountain Bridge? (1920)

59e2849c7a7575a2eb3e000d2e764677--old-photos-edinburgh.jpg

Edited by ando1504

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, ando1504 said:

I would have to say it is. Now I know where the name came from !

luckyBatistuta
22 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Grassmarket 

Grassmarket showing foot of West Bow

Cowgate - I think239bf0072f59d70f279b605e1e147dd1.jpg

You can hardly even make out St Patrick’s and it’s right beside it and folk moan about air pollution nowadays. Anyone know what that chimney in the background is?

22 minutes ago, ando1504 said:

Good one, never seen the bridge before. There was a really busy street off to the right there, which was knocked down, as the conditions were really bad. Think it began with an ‘F’ maybe?