• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bridge of Djoum
On 6/28/2018 at 17:32, been here before said:

I think those are different clocks. The one at Morningside originally srood outside Morningside Station before being moved.

Theres a bit about the Morningside clock here.

The pole and the surround of the face also looks different between the 2 pictures.

Now I dont know if Im right or not but if you look at the black and white picture of Binns/Frasers you'll see the famous clock on the wall dodsnt seem to be there (unless its obscured).

binns1.jpg.746d1a1d4a2514762cb2178bfd446f29.jpg

I wonder if its the same clock.

Someone must know!

Hers another old picture, no big clock on the street but the one on the wall is there...

binns.jpg.e3f399a4b48df6cc18feb40d9a8c73e7.jpg

And another old one with no clock on the wall but the big pavement clock is there...

20180628_223856.jpg.e35629d800091aee73d73465572e8eef.jpg

That clock outside Binns. My dad was telling me years ago that was a favored spot for meeting your date. ''Under the Binns clock''.

John Findlay
24 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Image result for powderhall speedway]

Image result for powderhall speedway]

Remember my dad taking me to the Greyhound racing there one Saturday night in the 70s and for 10p I won £2.20 on a dual forecast on traps 4 and 2. Thought I was minted. Lol.

Bridge of Djoum
39 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Remember my dad taking me to the Greyhound racing there one Saturday night in the 70s and for 10p I won £2.20 on a dual forecast on traps 4 and 2. Thought I was minted. Lol.

I started going there for the speedway in 1979. My sister was a center green 1st aider, I got in for free. Shame when they moved out to Armadale, Powderhall was a lovely stadium.

John Findlay
1 minute ago, New York Fleapit said:

I started going there for the speedway in 1979. My sister was a center green 1st aider, I got in for free. Shame when they moved out to Armadale, Powderhall was a lovely stadium.

Agreed.

Powderhall dog races late 1940's there was a main road ran past the stadium, and there was a grass verge you could climb and see the track and the races. We used to go there all the way from the southside, there were older laddies who ran books and you could get penny bets on the dugs. One loud shout of Polis and the hill cleared, I just realised now it was always when a dog eveyone had bet on won, seems strange the coincidence the Polis arriving just when the young bookie would be taking a beating with heavy losses.

35 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I was just about to post the very same image of Trinity Bridge at Lower Granton Road

Edited by ando1504

2 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

Spent many weekend nights in Powderhall as my family used to run greyhounds there.

Perhaps strangely, I never saw any speedway but I'm now a season ticket holder at Armadale.

Radio Ga Ga
6 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Middle one - Shandwick Place?

Was going to post the same as it looks like the church on the Connor of Stafford St?

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

A few teasers ?

B17A9D0E-B0A0-4EFC-9E85-76ADF7C76605.jpeg

140B6AE9-1A1A-48D8-A375-EA78433227BC.jpeg

EDF05D7D-7B0D-438F-BB90-34BDA3EB7580.jpeg

Top one looks like Morningside Road but l could be miles out!

6 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Was going to post the same as it looks like the church on the Connor of Stafford St?

That's what I thought - and for the top one, Bruntsfield Place before it becomes Morningside Road?

will-i-am-a-jambo
1 minute ago, Lee_Mellon said:

That's what I thought - and for the top one, Bruntsfield Place before it becomes Morningside Road?

Thats what l thought but it's looks too long before its supposed to curve to the left to Morningside so that's what put me off saying that (unless of course it's looking towards the city centre! You could be right and the photo is deceptive. Let's face it lm not really sure now lol.

luckyBatistuta
20 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Middle one - Shandwick Place?

Sure is, well done. Only one to go.

Maroon Sailor

Some road to cross in it's day - that woman on the right is looking the wrong way

IMG_1684.JPG

37 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1681.JPG

Silverknowes/D Mains, I remember it. Pink shale track. Drove past it recently when I was up on hols and there's housing on it now.  

3 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Powderhall dog races late 1940's there was a main road ran past the stadium, and there was a grass verge you could climb and see the track and the races. We used to go there all the way from the southside, there were older laddies who ran books and you could get penny bets on the dugs. One loud shout of Polis and the hill cleared, I just realised now it was always when a dog eveyone had bet on won, seems strange the coincidence the Polis arriving just when the young bookie would be taking a beating with heavy losses.

There was a path behind it that went to a bridge in   St Marks park (ran behind the Tote board) . I used to walk down there and watch the speedway for free on a summers night. Happy days. 

15 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0923.JPG

Is this Green St ? I know it's the bus station behind Calton Hill. Walk up the hill to the Royal Mile. 

Randy Marsh
3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is this Green St ? I know it's the bus station behind Calton Hill. Walk up the hill to the Royal Mile. 

I think it is but the buildings on the right have been demolished.

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

New Street I think.

Les Izemore
6 hours ago, ando1504 said:

Back to the first post, Parsons Peebles, served by East Pilton railway

parsons fire.jpg

My auld man was in there when it went up. There’s also a poster on this board that had to run sharpish out the side entrance on Pilton Drive to avoid being toasted. 

Maroon Sailor
46 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

41 minutes ago, graygo said:

New Street I think.

New Street

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Starbank/Newhaven ? 

Trinty cres/Lower granton rd, I think. I was just wondering if it was the same tram as in ando’s pic.

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Starbank/Newhaven ? 

It's Lower Granton Road just after Trinity Crescent and before the Victoria Square.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1681.JPG

Been there done that, still have somewhere my card  for my team Redford Diamonds. Circ.1950/51

Edited by bobsharp
spelling

Montgomery Brewster
On 28/06/2018 at 18:14, luckyBatistuta said:

:lol: every time I go in somewhere that has old pictures of Edinburgh, I’m straight over to have a right good look at them. Love looking at old edinburgh, how it used to be and trying to figure out where places are.

:thumbsup:

The long awaited picture of the Belhaven Inn - still nothing. Checked the pub last night and still nothing. FFS!

The search continues !

The_razors_edge

Loving this thread folks. I’m only 34 so a lot of these pictures are before my time. It’s fascinating to see what Edinburgh looked like all those years ago. I grew up in the lothians and borders and now live in fife so a trip in to Edinburgh was always special as a kid. From 2000 to 2007 I worked and studied in Edinburgh so had the pleasure of coming in to the city every day. The wife used to live at lower grant on road and we used to go out in Edinburgh a lot so it holds a lot of happy memories for me. Now living in fife I’m hardly ever in the city and I’m quite sad about that. We were at Tynie yesterday and we both commented on how different parts of Edinburgh are and how much it’s changed over the years. Looking at the pics on this thread maybe not always for the better - I much prefer the old style buildings compared to some of these awful modern style developments. 

John Findlay
9 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1688.JPG

George Street. Bus coming out of Frederick Street?