Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, ando1504 said:

The large doorway looks the same as in this Princes Street image. Where M&S is now?

C1CB72A1-F7CA-4690-84D1-834EC56B93E5.jpeg

Good shout.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Thats what I thought.

Looks like it might say 'The Royal Hotel' above the brown shop.

You're right.

It was originally The Royal Hotel, right next door to Jenners.  I believe that there was a name change to the Mount Royal at some point, maybe in the 1960s

Maple Leaf

Air raid shelters in East Princes Street gardens, right under the Scott Monument.

Edinburgh in troubled World War II times.Bunker situated at the top of Princes Street Gardens.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, ando1504 said:

Maybe of topic a little, but for old images of Edinburgh, this is worth a wee watch,

illusioniste.jpg

illusioniste leith street.jpg

The Illusionist.jpg

the_illusionist_2010_movie_image_01.jpg

I’ve saw bits of that movie and it looked pretty interesting.

33 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’ve saw bits of that movie and it looked pretty interesting.

It's no Toy Story, it's a bit slow, but I enjoyed it. Not sure if that's a recommendation or not. 

luckyBatistuta

Bristo Street, a bustling area lost to the University, even though the local residents fought hard against the proposals (still happening to this day)

5D00449E-D415-4EFD-B605-F7C6F3368DCE.jpeg

0E59F83D-733E-4EFF-94CE-42D73D204015.jpeg

128A79B9-9B30-4D7B-A2B1-97EBC8866330.png

AD1D9C0A-8E07-4123-A3ED-211E0F60BF2F.jpeg

EC163084-D41C-43F5-94DD-002298FFD747.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Air raid shelters in East Princes Street gardens, right under the Scott Monument.

Edinburgh in troubled World War II times.Bunker situated at the top of Princes Street Gardens.

Loving this pic, never seen anything of those shelters before.

Bridge of Djoum
30 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Grosvenor st ?

Manor place?

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1001.JPG

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Nup, not coming?

Looks like Duddingston Camp.

On 02/07/2018 at 09:56, luckyBatistuta said:

E47021E6-DB6A-4546-949D-50BE583FCC7F.jpeg

2A966694-5A10-4998-8716-0C164994EA3C.jpeg

If I ever came back to Edinburgh, this is where I'd choose to live.  I used to live there 25 years ago (had my first flat there).

On 02/07/2018 at 06:54, Tazio said:

Down at Bellevue, the last horse drawn milk wagon in Edinburgh I seem to remember. 

On 02/07/2018 at 05:56, ando1504 said:

st_cuthbert_milk_deliveries_bellevue_road_av12_1024.jpg

Used to see him in the mornings when I walked along East Claremont Street (think thats what it was called) to Broughton Primary.

Montgomery Brewster
8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Bristo Street, a bustling area lost to the University, even though the local residents fought hard against the proposals (still happening to this day)

5D00449E-D415-4EFD-B605-F7C6F3368DCE.jpeg

0E59F83D-733E-4EFF-94CE-42D73D204015.jpeg

128A79B9-9B30-4D7B-A2B1-97EBC8866330.png

AD1D9C0A-8E07-4123-A3ED-211E0F60BF2F.jpeg

EC163084-D41C-43F5-94DD-002298FFD747.jpeg

An absolute joke. Again the councillors of the time should have been run out of town.

a cracking part of the southside lost 

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

Manor place?

Think the buildings in the background are too close for Manor Place. I thought it was Grosvenor Street with Grosvenor crescent in the background, which you wouldn’t be able to see nowadays for the gardens in the middle of Lansdowne crescent and Grosvenor crescent.

5 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Looks like Duddingston Camp.

‘Never heard of it

5 hours ago, Sydney said:

If I ever came back to Edinburgh, this is where I'd choose to live.  I used to live there 25 years ago (had my first flat there).

It is a really nice area, with lots of great little bars and restaurants.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Think the buildings in the background are too close for Manor Place. I thought it was Grosvenor Street with Grosvenor crescent in the background, which you wouldn’t be able to see nowadays for the gardens in the middle of Lansdowne crescent and Grosvenor crescent.

‘Never heard of it

It is a really nice area, with lots of great little bars and restaurants.

Aye, I think you're right there. 

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

An absolute joke. Again the councillors of the time should have been run out of town.

a cracking part of the southside lost 

BRISTO Street may not be an instantly familiar address to the current generation of Edinburgh residents - mainly due to the fact that it vanished entirely from the city’s maps more than 40 years ago. Bristo Street crossed north to south as a continuation of Bristo Place, eventually joining onto Chapel Street in Edinburgh’s bustling Southside. It was an amalgamation of differing architectural styles that dated from the late 1700s onwards and featured a small but thriving community of shops, pubs and houses similar to the Grassmarket today. Parker’s department store ranks among the most fondly remembered premises to have disappeared from the city. Its mock-Tudor frontage, both picturesque and iconic, provided a style that was rather unique to Edinburgh. There are a generation of Southside residents around today who have never quite came to terms with its passing. Plans for redevelopment of the area began in the 1950s when Edinburgh University began buying up premises in and around the nearby George Square. Celebrated architect Sir Basil Spence was among those involved. Opposition to protect the historic square was fierce but the intensity of the university’s redevelopment plans proved too great a battle to overcome. Progress during the following decade was swift and began with the creation of the imposing Appleton Tower on Crichton Street completed in 1966. This was followed soon after by several other university constructions, including the David Hume tower and a new library building on George Square. Only one side of the square remains intact today as a result. The relentless expansion of Edinburgh University didn’t cease there however. The areas north of the square which included Bristo Street and Potterrow were obliterated in stages between 1967-1970. The triangle of Parkers department store between Bristo Street and Crichton Street had been earmarked as the site for a new mathematics and physics block - the plans of which never saw the light of day. Ultimately, the much loved Parker’s store was replaced for a large flat strip of car park situated between the new student health centre at Potterrow and the Appleton Tower. The award-winning Informatics block, created as a replacement for the one destroyed in the Cowgate fire, finally filled the 35 year old gap site in 2005. Today there are few fragments of old Bristo Street that managed to survive the onslaught of the late 1960s. Skater-haven Bristo Square which rose from the ashes of the original street has provided the city with a space that is spectacularly utilised each summer as the hub for Edinburgh’s Fringe Festival, giving it an ongoing purpose. Bristo in 2013 is a vibrant area of the city that stares boldly into the future - not that it has much of a choice after paving over much of its past.

Still happening now MB and it seems like at a faster pace too. It’s now the Leith residents that are trying to fight and stop the juggernaut that is the university.

Montgomery Brewster
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

BRISTO Street may not be an instantly familiar address to the current generation of Edinburgh residents - mainly due to the fact that it vanished entirely from the city’s maps more than 40 years ago. Bristo Street crossed north to south as a continuation of Bristo Place, eventually joining onto Chapel Street in Edinburgh’s bustling Southside. It was an amalgamation of differing architectural styles that dated from the late 1700s onwards and featured a small but thriving community of shops, pubs and houses similar to the Grassmarket today. Parker’s department store ranks among the most fondly remembered premises to have disappeared from the city. Its mock-Tudor frontage, both picturesque and iconic, provided a style that was rather unique to Edinburgh. There are a generation of Southside residents around today who have never quite came to terms with its passing. Plans for redevelopment of the area began in the 1950s when Edinburgh University began buying up premises in and around the nearby George Square. Celebrated architect Sir Basil Spence was among those involved. Opposition to protect the historic square was fierce but the intensity of the university’s redevelopment plans proved too great a battle to overcome. Progress during the following decade was swift and began with the creation of the imposing Appleton Tower on Crichton Street completed in 1966. This was followed soon after by several other university constructions, including the David Hume tower and a new library building on George Square. Only one side of the square remains intact today as a result. The relentless expansion of Edinburgh University didn’t cease there however. The areas north of the square which included Bristo Street and Potterrow were obliterated in stages between 1967-1970. The triangle of Parkers department store between Bristo Street and Crichton Street had been earmarked as the site for a new mathematics and physics block - the plans of which never saw the light of day. Ultimately, the much loved Parker’s store was replaced for a large flat strip of car park situated between the new student health centre at Potterrow and the Appleton Tower. The award-winning Informatics block, created as a replacement for the one destroyed in the Cowgate fire, finally filled the 35 year old gap site in 2005. Today there are few fragments of old Bristo Street that managed to survive the onslaught of the late 1960s. Skater-haven Bristo Square which rose from the ashes of the original street has provided the city with a space that is spectacularly utilised each summer as the hub for Edinburgh’s Fringe Festival, giving it an ongoing purpose. Bristo in 2013 is a vibrant area of the city that stares boldly into the future - not that it has much of a choice after paving over much of its past.

Still happening now MB and it seems like at a faster pace too. It’s now the Leith residents that are trying to fight and stop the juggernaut that is the university.

Indeed. Although I care less for that area.

once a southsider always a southsider.

The council ‘plans’ for the inner ring road ultimately helped the university. Once that was shelved they had the muscle and money to buy up the spare land.

i still shudder at the thought of a road through the meadows on stilts !

luckyBatistuta
8 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Indeed. Although I care less for that area.

once a southsider always a southsider.

The council ‘plans’ for the inner ring road ultimately helped the university. Once that was shelved they had the muscle and money to buy up the spare land.

i still shudder at the thought of a road through the meadows on stilts !

Ridiculous idea :dizzy2:

and still no luck on Belhaven :(

luckyBatistuta

I know where all three of these pictures are, but I just can’t figure out the second one, looks nothing like it. Spent the first 11 years of my life in the third, great area to grow up in as a kid, not so much these days though.

3E894F30-6E78-45A3-A61F-FBA7EB13C632.jpeg

81C9705E-5E7E-4413-AD9E-55965C3589ED.jpeg

2EB81EFE-3554-4C4F-B07A-86018B39758C.png

Montgomery Brewster
37 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Ridiculous idea :dizzy2:

and still no luck on Belhaven :(

No. I will find it again though ?

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_0933.JPG

A lot narrower back then 

A72B679B-B294-4083-ACC7-F8B092C4ED75.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

No. I will find it again though ?

:thumb:

luckyBatistuta

E2F73225-2E2A-45C8-83D7-7590E1B48459.jpeg

0C355B88-EF6F-460C-8D77-CBF4B217F1E7.jpeg

Look at the size of that car in the top pic :o

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Chester™
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

In what way?

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Chester™ said:

In what way?

Was listening to someone on the radio who was campaigning to stop these flats being built in Leith. Ok, i know it’s not actually the university that’s building these, but it’s all linked to them. Everywhere you go now in Edinburgh, they are building student accommodation. Every free space of land, or knocking down blocks down to build them. There is already a housing shortage and these are pushing the prices of homes up across the city. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/residents-want-leith-walk-brought-back-to-life-again-1-4714062

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/thousands-protest-against-50m-student-flats-and-hotel-plan-in-leith-1-4743957

Chester™
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Was listening to someone on the radio who was campaigning to stop these flats being built in Leith. Ok, i know it’s not actually the university that’s building these, but it’s all linked to them. Everywhere you go now in Edinburgh, they are building student accommodation. Every free space of land, or knocking down blocks down to build them. There is already a housing shortage and these are pushing the prices of homes up across the city. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/residents-want-leith-walk-brought-back-to-life-again-1-4714062

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/thousands-protest-against-50m-student-flats-and-hotel-plan-in-leith-1-4743957

I'm quite familiar with the Save Leith Walk campaign (I'm out there regularly).

Student developments arent all linked to Edinburgh Uni. Thats a slight misconception. Students from all the unis (in Edinburgh that is. I'm at Stirling, I couldn't move into one) and colleges get to use them and often depending where they're based, is who gets preference in them. Part of their problem is they are extortionate to live in, so rather than relieve the pressure on private lets (which is what they were meant to do), many shun them doing the opposite.

The first article says both sides want to work with the uni. 

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I know where all three of these pictures are, but I just can’t figure out the second one, looks nothing like it. Spent the first 11 years of my life in the third, great area to grow up in as a kid, not so much these days though.

3E894F30-6E78-45A3-A61F-FBA7EB13C632.jpeg

81C9705E-5E7E-4413-AD9E-55965C3589ED.jpeg

2EB81EFE-3554-4C4F-B07A-86018B39758C.png

The middle one escapes me.

Untitled6.jpg

Untitled5.jpg

John Findlay

Edinburgh is a smaller version of London nowadays. I would surmise that house prices and rent started to go through the roof once the Scottish Parliament got up and running. It's not just the MSPS it's the baggage that comes with them. Advisors, Civil Servants and more quangos than you can shake a hairy stick at. Then take the Edinburgh International Festival. Surely I am not the only one who know thinks that it has got to the stage where it has got so large the city can no longer cope with the numbers that visit from late July to early September. When I was a boy growing up in the 60s/70s Edinburgh's tourist season was June-September full stop. Now it is all year round. We are also a very popular city for Hen and Stag parties. Hogmanay/New year is no longer for Edinburghers. I understand the economic argument regards tourism but it has to be managed far better than it currently is.

Montgomery Brewster
17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Edinburgh is a smaller version of London nowadays. I would surmise that house prices and rent started to go through the roof once the Scottish Parliament got up and running. It's not just the MSPS it's the baggage that comes with them. Advisors, Civil Servants and more quangos than you can shake a hairy stick at. Then take the Edinburgh International Festival. Surely I am not the only one who know thinks that it has got to the stage where it has got so large the city can no longer cope with the numbers that visit from late July to early September. When I was a boy growing up in the 60s/70s Edinburgh's tourist season was June-September full stop. Now it is all year round. We are also a very popular city for Hen and Stag parties. Hogmanay/New year is no longer for Edinburghers. I understand the economic argument regards tourism but it has to be managed far better than it currently is.

Correct. 

The local councillors are not up to the job and should be replaced by a relevant authority that is outward looking but has the interests of the citizens at heart as well. 

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1002.JPG

Before that name it was Tiffany's iirc. My sister saw Deep Purple there in the early 70's. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh