Hybrid Pitch

kila

Hi guys

I sit high up in Gorgie stand and noticed yesterday that there appears to be squares of grass about 12 inches by 12 inches

that are a slightly different shade of green and that these squares look equidistant from each other.

there is 1 in the D on the 18 yard line and the other 2 to the left and right of it about 10 yards apart

and that they run the length of the pitch, anybody else noticed this and what could be the reason for it

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• kila

• Boris5115

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, redtipsjambo said:

Hi guys

I sit high up in Gorgie stand and noticed yesterday that there appears to be squares of grass about 12 inches by 12 inches

that are a slightly different shade of green and that these squares look equidistant from each other.

there is 1 in the D on the 18 yard line and the other 2 to the left and right of it about 10 yards apart

and that they run the length of the pitch, anybody else noticed this and what could be the reason for it

Sprinklers could be under the squares? 

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, redtipsjambo said:

Hi guys

Covers the sprinklers

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

Correct. More noticeable when we cut the pitch very short as we did for yesterdays match.

Sepp's Bladder
On 31/08/2018 at 10:43, Smithee said:

There was a rugby league game years ago IIRC

On 31/08/2018 at 10:43, SUTOL said:

Rugby league.

Technically a footballing event! 

avhudtheteeshirt

I noticed at the end of the BBC Alba game last night, the groundsman was throwing down what looked like seeds from a bucket in the goal area?

With 2 weeks till our next game, are they still trying to cover any patches?

Thunderstruck
7 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

No, the sprinklers in use yesterday were between the squares. They might be installing additional sprinklers or perhaps working on something else under the surface. 

These patches were under squares of plastic sheet last Monday and are just visible in this photo. They are regularly spaced throughout the pitch so I can’t imagine they are repairs. 

96000D49-8CCA-49F4-8D63-C51CEE060BC0.jpeg

pupstersajambo
9 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Correct. More noticeable when we cut the pitch very short as we did for yesterdays match.

10 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Covers the sprinklers

Pretty sure it's not the sprinklers. The sprinklers are only about 6" across and circular, these squares are either sides of the sprinklers. We noticed them yesterday and couldn't work out what they were for.

August Landmesser
On 31/08/2018 at 11:39, Jambos_1874 said:

"We are also now in a position where we can consider utilising the new surface for non-footballing events in order to increase our revenue streams."

Wonder what these will be? Has there ever been a concert on the pitch at Tynecastle? Or any other non-footballing event?

Billy Graham did a bit of preaching back in the 50s/60s. There's film/photos of it which provide great colour footage of Tynie as it used to be.

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, pupstersajambo said:

Pretty sure it's not the sprinklers. The sprinklers are only about 6" across and circular, these squares are either sides of the sprinklers. We noticed them yesterday and couldn't work out what they were for.

In that case tis a mystery.

On 31/08/2018 at 10:32, Pans Jambo said:

Just love our club.

Me too - I'm expecting an ever-improving situation for us.  I'm doing my FOH for life anyway, but I hope more folks might get on board with it - either for the first time or renew their support! I feckin' love Hearts.

Looked liked they were covering sprinklers to me, they were in a line with the ones we had working yesterday before the game and at half time and exactly equidistant from them. We had lines of 2 sprinklers on, I reckon we have capacity to increase that to 4 in a line if we wish.

41 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

No, the sprinklers in use yesterday were between the squares. They might be installing additional sprinklers or perhaps working on something else under the surface. 

These patches were under squares of plastic sheet last Monday and are just visible in this photo. They are regularly spaced throughout the pitch so I can’t imagine they are repairs. 

96000D49-8CCA-49F4-8D63-C51CEE060BC0.jpeg

They're probably environment monitors I reckon, for measuring temp, humidity etc, that way they know where and when to water

Just now, redtipsjambo said:

Power points for the lights maybe?

No, when we were at the war of two halves, they had all the light systems on and the power cables went over the edge of the pitch, might have been plugged into power points at the edge of the track around the pitch as it was dark and I never paid too much attention to where exactly the cables finished. They also had supports on the pitch to protect it so the cables didn’t lie all over the pitch and damage it.

Thunderstruck
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

They're probably environment monitors I reckon, for measuring temp, humidity etc, that way they know where and when to water

The regular spacing suggests a planned installation. It will be interesting to find out what they are. 

For comparison, this is a photo of the touch-line sprinkler head at Gorgie Stand. These don’t have a grass “lid” like the ones within the field of play. 

The grass is cut to “Celtic height” in the photo taken on 11 August. 

9D968F84-2511-4C6C-A2B0-BCE0EFA5A883.png

On 31/08/2018 at 10:39, Jambos_1874 said:

"We are also now in a position where we can consider utilising the new surface for non-footballing events in order to increase our revenue streams."

Wonder what these will be? Has there ever been a concert on the pitch at Tynecastle? Or any other non-footballing event?

I remember being at John Cummings testimonial and an Edinburgh band called Bilbo Baggins played a concert on the pitch .....in fact here's an old thread that's relevant 

23 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

The regular spacing suggests a planned installation. It will be interesting to find out what they are. 

For comparison, this is a photo of the touch-line sprinkler head at Gorgie Stand. These don’t have a grass “lid” like the ones within the field of play. 

That looks like a great surface to play on.

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Confirmed to me at todays plot ceremony by Ann that they are the monitoring points

PhoenixHearts
14 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

I would have absolutely no complaints having to sleep on that surface. Luxurious.

I was at the plot ceremony yesterday and was also wondering what they were, thanks for the info. I have to say I thought it felt a very solid surface with little or no give in it, perhaps due to me not wearing football boots on it. I can fully appreciate that it is designed to be a smoother surface and it was interesting looking at the sample core in the dressing room showing just how deep the foundations are for it but I was still surprised just how hard it felt when walking on it.

Thunderstruck
11 hours ago, brownkg said:

Confirmed to me at todays plot ceremony by Ann that they are the monitoring points

Excellent, mystery solved. 

Is it not the most advanced pitch installation anywhere?

Thunderstruck
1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I would have absolutely no complaints having to sleep on that surface. Luxurious.

It looked very smooth on Saturday - not quite suitable for bowls but not far off. 

15 hours ago, frodoker said:

I remember being at John Cummings testimonial and an Edinburgh band called Bilbo Baggins played a concert on the pitch .....in fact here's an old thread that's relevant 

I am pretty sure that was the centenary game in 1974, they kicked balls into the crowd and played their hit, shes gonna win.  The singer (a big jambo) also got Hollie Willowbooby to do the 5-1 on the voice a few years back.

I have to say it is a beautiful looking pitch. In person it looks amazing but on TV for some reason it looks dry / rough.

My missus mentioned it while I was watching the Celtic game back a couple weeks ago but after I took her to the Ross County game she said it looks incredible in person. I wonder why it looks so different on tv.

What a change the last few years at this club have been, a beautiful new stand and a state of the art pitch. Makes you even more proud to make your way to Tynecastle Park on a Saturday! Not to mention our high flying team ❤️

17 hours ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

I noticed at the end of the BBC Alba game last night, the groundsman was throwing down what looked like seeds from a bucket in the goal area?

With 2 weeks till our next game, are they still trying to cover any patches?

Maybe trying to stop the pigeons eating the pitch

The Future's Maroon
18 minutes ago, primrose said:

I am pretty sure that was the centenary game in 1974, they kicked balls into the crowd and played their hit, shes gonna win.  The singer (a big jambo) also got Hollie Willowbooby to do the 5-1 on the voice a few years back.

Pic of Holly doing a 5-1 and my life is complete

There's 3 for a start.

And here is the story on it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/football-daft-voice-contestant-tricks-1858944

FOOTBALL daft Scots rocker Colin Chisholm had some fun with The Voice presenter Holly Willoughby to celebrate his team’s success.

The 60-year-old Hearts fan tricked the glamorous host into a victory sign to mark the Jambos 5-1 win over arch rivals Hibs in the Scottish Cup final last year.

The unwitting presenter thought she was helping the veteran rocker to celebrate 51 years in the music industry.

Colin, who had a brush with fame in the 70s with cheesy Scots rock band Bilbo Baggins, then posted the cheeky photo on his Facebook page.

The Edinburgh singer, who is enjoying a second chance at the big time after being picked by Tom Jones on Saturday night’s show, wrote: “Thanks everyone! That was amazing! Here’s my pal Holly Willoughby helping me celebrate 51 years in the music business.... Or something like that. ;-)”

Fellow fans online were quick to realise the pose was actually to mark Hearts victory over Hibs in May last year.

Cliff Main wrote on Facebook: “5-1......brilliant.” While Tracy Heatley added: “All Hearts fans are proud of you – well done!”

Colin out the cheeky snap on Facebook
Colin out the cheeky snap on Facebook (Image: PA)

Earlier this year, a published book of photos of Jambos fans posing with celebrities or in famous locations with the 5-1 victory sign from their big win at Hampden, sold out.

Colin, whose daughter Chloe secretly put him forward for the BBC talent show, said he had found the whole experience “very emotional.”

He won over Sir Tom with his rendition of Cyndi Lauper’s I Drove All Night.

Colin said: “When Tom turned round, I was battling to keep the tears at bay.

“There are a lot of young kids on the show who say this is all they ever wanted. They have their lives ahead of them but this is my last chance.”

While Colin celebrates his success, the BBC talent show is still being trounced in the ratings war by rival Britain’s Got Talent.

This is despite the STV show seeing its audience drop by a million viewers on Saturday from the previous week.

Edited by primrose

16 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

Is that not a bit dangerous if your studs slipped on the thing.

1 minute ago, grumpyespana said:

Is that not a bit dangerous if your studs slipped on the thing.

Its an inch from the track, the pitch ones have grass tops, this type are only around the perimeter.

4 hours ago, primrose said:

Its an inch from the track, the pitch ones have grass tops, this type are only around the perimeter.

Cheers guys never new that mind you I have been away now for thirteen years lol.

Thunderstruck
6 hours ago, graygo said:

It's behind the goals is it not?

The six-yard box at Sect W is shown in the picture. That’s the area that the subs use to warm-up. 

Phil D. Corners

Question: Does anyone if this super mosture monitoring system is something we get extra benefit from having in Scotland due to damp climate. 

Or did salesman get Ann on sherry when doing his pitch. 

Just curious why we went for something so fancy? 

(Not a dig, in Ann we Trust etc.)

47 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Question: Does anyone if this super mosture monitoring system is something we get extra benefit from having in Scotland due to damp climate. 

Or did salesman get Ann on sherry when doing his pitch. 

Just curious why we went for something so fancy? 

(Not a dig, in Ann we Trust etc.)

Probably so we have a state of the art pitch that will last us a very long time and be able to keep it in the best condition all season round.

On 02/09/2018 at 20:00, Smithee said:

that's what they are.... my brother asked AB yesterday at the FoH plot ceremony 

55 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

The pigeons are usually at Easter Road eating the shite............before they leave their seats.

...or Ducks

image.png.6677abb632602e02515d52602313ce6f.png

7 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

:lol:

They must be quackers to go there.

They aren't even watching the game because it's that shite.

They must be lost. No way any self-respecting dick would dabble in that pish.

20 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

The grass will only get thicker as well. Not long until it'll start looking like Old Trafford and the top pitches in the Prem.

Glorious investment.