Hybrid Pitch

kila

3 hours ago, neonjambo said:

Cheers, in the long run will be well worth it - around 200,000 for the last pitch which only lasted a year....

Less maintenance I would imagine, along with the 100,000's of thousands each year for the old stand upkeep - going to be rolling in cash soon :)

Plus extra revenue if the pitch is used for international matches, or other events.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• kila

• Boris5115

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:19, 4marsbars said:

That's a great picture, though made me think smugly that the view from high up in the Wheatfield cannot be beaten, possibly anywhere.

Yes first time in new stand still prefer Wheatfield . Sun was a problem on Tuesday fortunately not a common occurrence

2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Yes first time in new stand still prefer Wheatfield . Sun was a problem on Tuesday fortunately not a common occurrence

Shelter from the prevailing wind too, though when the Beast from the East arrived that night we played Killie, blowing right in our faces ......  

24 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

The pitch held up really well today.  money well spent 

And our passing was much better today on the surface 

4 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

And our passing was much better today on the surface 

Pitch looked great and should be immaculate right through the winter - will be worth the investment to watch passing as seen today - very enjoyable 

avhudtheteeshirt

Loved wee Robbo's quip on BT, Levien phoned me and offered me 3 of 4 cuts, 1 low 2 medium and 3 long, the 4th is Celtic!!!!!!

The Wee Man never changes.

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Barack said:

Celtic fan-nies taking it well, I see.

Albert Kidd jokes...scathing...  :lol:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but have Celtic not gone and got the same pitch as ours? 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Dino Velvet said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but have Celtic not gone and got the same pitch as ours? 

We got the same as them. They did the ground works last season for their hybrid setup.

Rangers appear to have laid b&q basic lawn turf!!

William H. Bonney
24 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

We got the same as them. They did the ground works last season for their hybrid setup.

Not like rangers to do things on the cheap. 

Harry Potter
9 hours ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Loved wee Robbo's quip on BT, Levien phoned me and offered me 3 of 4 cuts, 1 low 2 medium and 3 long, the 4th is Celtic!!!!!!

The Wee Man never changes.

Ha Ha, that is brilliant.:pleased:

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Probably just me but from my seat in the main stand it looked like Section A and G in the Wheatfield had newer seats than the rest of the stand? 

heartsfc_fan
14 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Probably just me but from my seat in the main stand it looked like Section A and G in the Wheatfield had newer seats than the rest of the stand? 

Are A and G upper Gold not padded platinum seats so they might've looked different to the rest of the upper sections?

32 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I think they were replaced last year.

The real benefit of the hybrid pitch will be through the winter.  Liverpool have the same pitch and I was down for a CL game in Feb - it was perfect.

Deans Jambo
14 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Are A and G upper Gold not padded platinum seats so they might've looked different to the rest of the upper sections?

Yip the upper A and G sections of the Wheatfield are plastic and the other upper sections are leather. Mostly likely why they appear a different colour.

14 hours ago, obua said:

I think they were replaced last year.

I've been in upper G for a few seasons now and im pretty sure they have not been replaced recently. Certainly not my seat/row. 

5 minutes ago, Deans Jambo said:

Yip the upper A and G sections of the Wheatfield are plastic and the other upper sections are leather. Mostly likely why they appear a different colour.

I've been in upper G for a few seasons now and im pretty sure they have not been replaced recently. Certainly not my seat/row. 

My mistake it was lower that were replaced.

Brave Hearts
On 29/07/2018 at 23:32, Jambof3tornado said:

And the Huns have arranged to pay B&Q the final payment when they win the league...........

highlandjambo3
On 29/07/2018 at 22:21, Dino Velvet said:

No, once the media spin this it will be us that has the same pitch as Celtic 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

No, once the media spin this it will be us that has the same pitch as Celtic 

They started the work on theirs last summer. Spin it how we like the more quality surfaces in scotland the better for the paying fans!!

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

He's cutting the ****ing grass!

:seething:

No he's just rolling the long bits they will pop back up in time for 12.30pm tomorrow. :laugh:

avhudtheteeshirt
26 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Just giving it a wee roll...

By the looks of it, it must be with square sausage?????

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

By the looks of it, it must be with square sausage?????

Square sausage, drool..........it’s not all great living on the costas?

grumpyespana
7 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Square sausage, drool..........it’s not all great living on the costas?

We get Halls square sausage in Mazarron but its not as good as Dundee lorne lol.

TyphoonJambo
7 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

We get Halls square sausage in Mazarron but its not as good as Dundee lorne lol.

My brother in law just brought me three huge rolls of haggais, Halls, it’s great. He called the embassy before doing so to check it was okay to bring it. The cheeky ******* in the embassy said “ yes but why would you do that to anyone?”

18 hours ago, kila said:

Another photo from Hearts  twitter

DkPjRwSWsAAECQq.jpg:large

I'm in dreamland looking at this. It's been an unimaginably successful recovery. Statue for Ann et al.

On 22/06/2018 at 19:29, Jack Torrance said:

Apparently the pigeons keep eating all the seed. We need the Owl back...

3 pigeons were pecking away at the turf tonight before the game at the whole of the first half. 

Not so bad if its just these 3 who seemed to work together in a group.   

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/6941

Pitch perfect

Hearts’ Betfred Cup fixture against Cowdenbeath on July 24th marked the first match to be played on the brand new playing surface at Tynecastle Park. As we prepare to host four home fixtures in September, as well as a Scotland U21 international, it is the ideal time to shed some light on the extensive work that has gone into installing our magnificent new Hybrid Pitch.

Towards the end of last season, the decision was made to replace the existing surface and fully relay a new pitch for the first time in approximately 20 years. This has involved a substantial outlay of close to £1 million, however, we now proudly boast a state-of-the-art pitch complete with a new undersoil heating, drainage and irrigation system.

Our investment has been a carefully considered process and following a period of study, the club appointed STRI to project manage the installation, which was carried out by Carrick Sports Construction LTD, along with SIS UK/SISGrass.

SISGrass was installed at 7 of the 12 venues at this year’s FIFA World Cup in Russia, which speaks volumes for the quality of surface we now have at Tynecastle. STRI also project managed all FIFA World Cup pitches including team base camps, training pitches and stadia. Working with STRI and Carrick Sports, we have now designed and installed a surface on a par with the very best on the world stage. 

Advanced monitoring system

There is, however, far more to the pitch than meets the eye. We are delighted that Tynecastle now boasts the first full scale deployment of a state-of-the-art environmental monitoring system. This means that the pitch at Tynecastle Park will be one of the most monitored in the world, allowing us to use the very latest agronomic tools to ensure the surface is maintained to the highest possible standard. The software will enable our grounds team to automatically gather data on the live moisture levels across the pitch, air temperature around the stadium and light levels for grass growth. This will provide the grounds team with detailed insights into the condition of the pitch whilst also allowing our support staff to tweak the surface to optimise player performance and fitness.

d76a22382b27bc12bb6cdb68c7861212.png.jpeg.e98d3799b5a61b85a7239d2eac894dcf.jpeg

The new Tynecastle Park pitch in numbers:

- 17,000,000 hybrid insertions
- 40,000 km of yarn
- 27 km of undersoil heating pipes
- 1500 tonnes of gravel
- 26 irrigation sprinklers
- 4600 tonnes of sand

What is a hybrid pitch?

In essence, it is a playing surface consisting of 95% grass and 5% synthetic materials. It is very much a natural turf surface, typically constructed on a sand dominated, free draining profile that is supplemented by synthetic fibres inserted vertically to a depth of 180 mm below ground, with 20 mm protruding above ground. 

A hybrid pitch provides the benefits of both a natural grass surface and a synthetic surface and allows:

- Stability within a sand dominated profile that would otherwise naturally be very loose and unstable
- Improved stability for the players and retention of a level playing surface
- Provision of additional anchorage for the grass to grow and take hold
- Increased wear tolerance throughout the season, particularly during winter months when pitch quality typically reduces
- Improved appearance when grass loss does occur

The SISGrass installation at Tynecastle Park involved a laser-guided machine that inserted the yarn at 20mm x 20mm centres. The process was completed in around eight days at the end of June/early July and the club was able to host its first fixture on the new surface on July 24th. Whilst the pitch was less mature than ideal at that stage, the hybrid system allowed the match to be played without compromising player safety or quality of football.

db07185a1f10deaa5364dd279d836000.png.jpeg.cdbb74f6306e4f1419218d2f4528ffe5.jpeg

Looking ahead

The September schedule at Tynecastle is quite challenging and last year such a fixture list would have been a real concern. However, with careful management we look forward to hosting St Mirren, Livingston and St Johnstone in the Ladbrokes Premiership, Motherwell in the Betfred Cup and indeed the upcoming U21 Scotland international game against Andorra.

We are also now in a position where we can consider utilising the new surface for non-footballing events in order to increase our revenue streams. Rest assured, however, that our primary concern will at all times be to ensure that the condition of the pitch remains uncompromised.

After back-to-back 5-0 wins followed by a terrific win in our first home league match of the season against Celtic, the pitch has certainly got us off to a flying start – let us hope this continues and the investment allows our groundsmen Colin and Grant to help the team claim more victories in the coming weeks and months.

Ann Budge

Images courtesy of STRI Group

I was at the shareholders dinner last night in the gorgie suite, noticed we have vastly increase the number of heating lamps on the pitch. Presumably this is part of the investment in the new pitch.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

I was at the shareholders dinner last night in the gorgie suite, noticed we have vastly increase the number of heating lamps on the pitch. Presumably this is part of the investment in the new pitch.

Although they throw out a lot of heat, that's a by product, it's really all about the light. HPS lights mimic the frequencies we get from the sun in summer which encourages photosynthetis and growth.

"We are also now in a position where we can consider utilising the new surface for non-footballing events in order to increase our revenue streams."

Wonder what these will be? Has there ever been a concert on the pitch at Tynecastle? Or any other non-footballing event?

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

"We are also now in a position where we can consider utilising the new surface for non-footballing events in order to increase our revenue streams."

Wonder what these will be? Has there ever been a concert on the pitch at Tynecastle? Or any other non-footballing event?

There was a rugby league game years ago IIRC

2 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Rugby league.

Unknown user

Gorgie ground has also hosted rugby league matches on four occasions. In 1911 a test match between England and Australia ended in an 11-11 draw. Eight decades later, the newly created Super League again attempted to promote the sport in Scotland, moving two league fixtures to Tynecastle. The 1998 meeting between London Broncos and Bradford Bulls drew over 7,000 fans, while the following year Gateshead Thunder met Wigan Warriors before a smaller crowd. In 2000, Tynecastle staged a sectional tie in the Rugby League World Cup between Scotland and Samoa, which the Samoans won 20-12.