Hybrid Pitch

kila

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I think both are options.

If we are seeding I just cannot see the turf being fully knitted and established before the start of the season - might be wrong though.

Both are indeed options, although there's a much shorter shelf life for the pregrown sods - that would probably need replaced in a year.

IIRC the type of grass we're using should be ready in 6 weeks from seeding

Edited by Smithee

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• kila

• Boris5115

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Both are indeed options, although there's a much shorter shelf life for the pregrown sods - that would probably need replaced in a year.

IIRC the type of grass we're using should be ready in 6 weeks from seeding

Cheers - I know a bit about glass but FA about grass.....

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Will the increased height of the pitch not impact on the views from the lower level seats in the stands ?

Or am I missing something obvious ?

Presumably the bottom rows will raise their eyes slightly. That view has always been awful anyway. I prefer the rain dripping from the roof onto my head to the view from those seats.

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Cheers - I know a bit about glass but FA about grass.....

Why do you think FA will know squat about grass growing?

highlandjambo3
49 minutes ago, station_jambo said:

They may put a germination cover over the pitch to help speed up the process

The Germans should be no where near this :laugh:

3 hours ago, kila said:

From STRI twitter this morning (rootzone done, ready to seed):

DfZXxiTXUAAza2n.thumb.jpg.951ecd6ecba7a62e84dd4286c3f77fa4.jpg

Is it just me? I can't get my head around the bottom left of the picture where it looks like two rows of seats are sitting on the pitch?

Edit: Forget it  - I've worked it out - it's the section that opens hydraulically.

Edited by JohnB

Hagar the Horrible

Would it not be as simple as laying the fake turf and covering that with real seed?  Daft question the mowers must be a certain height as cutting plastic grass wont grow back

davemclaren
1 minute ago, JohnB said:

Is it just me? I can't get my head around the bottom left of the picture where it looks like two rows of seats are sitting on the pitch?

That’s the raised seats in front of the Gorgie Suite.  

3 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Gorgie suite been opened up

5 minutes ago, JohnB said:

:notsure:

I can't help but think that folk oohing and ahhing over photos of what is basically an area of soil could have the time of their life watching Farmers' Weekly or Landward.

Jambof3tornado
10 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Would it not be as simple as laying the fake turf and covering that with real seed?  Daft question the mowers must be a certain height as cutting plastic grass wont grow back

The fibre strands are machine injected into the surface.

7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Under the root zone layer is a plastic membrane a bit like the backing of a carpet. The machine goes along and stitches loops of plastic grass every square inch or so.  The roots of the real grass anchor around these loops giving a much better grip and avoiding the top surface coming off in lumps.

You're right about the length, the grass cutter must be set just above the standard height of the plastic grass, so only the real grass is cut.

Ill post this image again, so you can visualise it.

Hybrid layers.jpg

The Natural Order
7 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

I think we should market these as premium seats.  When we score, a wee birl in the air.  £1.50 extra per game, with all proceeds going to filling in the cornerz next close season. 

What a load o' shite. We've got to get the Wheatfield up to 40 rows first.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JohnB said:

Edit: Forget it  - I've worked it out - it's the section that opens hydraulically.

That's Vlad secret hide out, he's getting ready to launch. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, primrose said:

Under the root zone layer is a plastic membrane a bit like the backing of a carpet. The machine goes along and stitches loops of plastic grass every square inch or so.  The roots of the real grass anchor around these loops giving a much better grip and avoiding the top surface coming off in lumps.

You're right about the length, the grass cutter must be set just above the standard height of the plastic grass, so only the real grass is cut.

Hybrid layers.jpg

Imagine getting that setting wrong  and firing across the whole pitch with the grass cutter.. :mellow:

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

I think we should market these as premium seats.  When we score, a wee birl in the air.  £1.50 extra per game, with all proceeds going to filling in the cornerz next close season. 

Or stick the zoomers in there and when they start screaming launch them into the sky. 

The Treasurer
47 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Or stick the zoomers in there and when they start screaming launch them into the sky. 

No where near enough seats for all of them

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
3 hours ago, The Natural Order said:

What a load o' shite. We've got to get the Wheatfield up to 40 rows first.

Ok then, although it’s fair to point out that will make the upper tier a bit more expensive when we do that in next seasons winter break...

4 hours ago, primrose said:

Hybrid layers.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that we can add the Synthetic grass at a later date though?

I'm sure Levein mentioned that if we ran out of time with the pitch growing then we could stitch the fibres next summer instead?

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Gulf Jambo said:

I think I'm right in saying that we can add the Synthetic grass at a later date though?

I'm sure Levein mentioned that if we ran out of time with the pitch growing then we could stitch the fibres next summer instead?

Only takes a couple of days to stitch the pitch.. no need

2 hours ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Is that not what Celtic did ?

Is it not the case that the business end of the plastic grass is under the soil where the real grass attaches its roots? Thus meaning that the length of the strands above the pitch don't really matter?

The fibres can be added at any time but a longer developed series of grass shanks would mean additional use of lyrical hardboard which would of course result in a need for more fibres.  For this reason, I'd expect we've placed them already into the predisposed roots hollering

The fibres are systemically functional and are set to automatically intertwine with the actual grass roots once they begin to anaerobically enchant prior to the kick off.

Nothing to worry about.

29 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Is it not the case that the business end of the plastic grass is under the soil where the real grass attaches its roots? Thus meaning that the length of the strands above the pitch don't really matter?

Correct

Main Stand Owl please come back!!

Would the owner of this lot consider a temporary repatriation??

EEC3641C-E5F3-462D-A9EE-A9BEA7A863A4.jpeg

PeterintheRain
11 hours ago, primrose said:

Hybrid layers.jpg

What stops the sand from washing through the gravel and clogging up the drains again if there's no membrane between them?  There's a membrane between the subsoil and the gravel, presumably for that very reason.

9 hours ago, WageThief said:

The fibres can be added at any time but a longer developed series of grass shanks would mean additional use of lyrical hardboard which would of course result in a need for more fibres.  For this reason, I'd expect we've placed them already into the predisposed roots hollering

The fibres are systemically functional and are set to automatically intertwine with the actual grass roots once they begin to anaerobically enchant prior to the kick off.

Nothing to worry about.

Exactly this.

letsalldothebeattie

First time I’ve been on this thread for a while. Looks like it’s coming along nicely. Looks like they’ve raised the pitch a bit as well

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, WageThief said:

Nothing to worry about.

:interehjrling:

12 hours ago, WageThief said:

Nothing to worry about.

:berra:

14 hours ago, WageThief said:

Nothing to worry about.

Eh....eh.........................wot he says! :unsure:

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, WageThief said:

Nothing to worry about.

"Now who can argue with that? I think we're all in debt to Wage Thief for stating what needed to be said. I am particulary glad that these lovely children are here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed the courage little seen in this day and age. "

15 hours ago, WageThief said:

Nothing to worry about.

:words:

Sounds good though.. I think.. 

hmfc_liam06
23 hours ago, Haken said:

I can't help but think that folk oohing and ahhing over photos of what is basically an area of soil could have the time of their life watching Farmers' Weekly or Landward.

I'm thinking the same. It's an incredible patch of soil :lol:

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm thinking the same. It's an incredible patch of soil :lol:

Don't be so 'seedy'  :whistling:

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Slightly off topic but keeping it horticultural when are the maroon trees being planted in the Plaza?

Check out the new stand thread

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

"Now who can argue with that? I think we're all in debt to Wage Thief for stating what needed to be said. I am particulary glad that these lovely children are here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed the courage little seen in this day and age. "

Seymour's right about Wage Thief being right. 

13 hours ago, PeterintheRain said:

What stops the sand from washing through the gravel and clogging up the drains again if there's no membrane between them?  There's a membrane between the subsoil and the gravel, presumably for that very reason.

The black layer on the outside of the drainage pipe is a membrane, the grains of sand are too large to go through, but the water gets in just fine.  Its exactly the same way that farmers drain their fields.

Seymour M Hersh
17 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Check out the new stand thread

Where exactly would i look on a 700  page thread. Could you not have just said (if you know). :nuke:

Bad Religion
On 11/06/2018 at 10:05, Juanjo15 said:

Have Celtic got the same pitch? I see there’s is completed already so in fact there’s no danger it could be the same!

Pics look fantastic, makes you want the season to start tomorrow (or when the grass has grown) also for this turf, I know it’s petty but does it need to be completely green? I would change the colour as I hate it! 

Anyone got any pictures of the grass growing or the new club shop?

23 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Anyone got any pictures of the grass growing or the new club shop?

Bumfluff