Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You're not ageist but you said

the only certainty is that we have given a 35-yr old striker (who cannot play on artificial pitches*) a 2-yr contract.

So why did you mention his age?  He'll only play on an artificial pitch 2 or 3 times a season, assuming Tynie's new surface is not classed as artificial, and when you read what he says he is not likely to be playing every game (in the 1st team) anyway,

As you say he probably won't be playing in every game however reading this from his interview on Hearts website would suggest otherwise.

Speaking to HeartsTV, Steven said: “Craig wants me to come in and play and try and help the younger ones out as well.

“He spoke to me and said a big part of it is he wants me to come in and play and nail down a spot, and with my experience try to help the younger players as well. Hopefully they can learn from me while I’m playing.

“I’ve got plenty of experience and I’ve played at some big clubs in my time. I’ve played in different leagues as well and I’ve learned from some top players over the years.

“Hopefully I can bring that side to the younger ones and help them along the way. I’m also hopeful that I can nail down that spot in the team. I want to come here and do well, and hopefully we can finish as high up the league as possible.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

You don't think age effects the ongoing performance levels of a professional sportsman and you think its 'ageist' to state such an obvious fact?

That depends upon the individual and the role he is asked to play and is not an obvious fact except in someone's mind.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

As you say he probably won't be playing in every game however reading this from his interview on Hearts website would suggest otherwise.

Speaking to HeartsTV, Steven said: “Craig wants me to come in and play and try and help the younger ones out as well.

“He spoke to me and said a big part of it is he wants me to come in and play and nail down a spot, and with my experience try to help the younger players as well. Hopefully they can learn from me while I’m playing.

“I’ve got plenty of experience and I’ve played at some big clubs in my time. I’ve played in different leagues as well and I’ve learned from some top players over the years.

“Hopefully I can bring that side to the younger ones and help them along the way. I’m also hopeful that I can nail down that spot in the team. I want to come here and do well, and hopefully we can finish as high up the league as possible.

Reading that suggests to me that nailing down a spot would be a bonus for the player and the club, otherwise there would be no need to mention "helping out the younger ones as well "

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That depends upon the individual and the role he is asked to play and is not an obvious fact except in someone's mind.

Of course its a fact. Its a law of human biology. Professional athletes performance levels start to  drop off in the early 30's and by the time they reach 38, most are burnt, with a few notable exceptions obviously, but only amongst those who have looked after themselves to a very high degree throughout their careers and avoided serious injury for the most part

Cruyff Turn
37 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Is Wallace out of contract at the end of the season?

Next summer but looks as if he will be punted after his bust up with Murty.

33 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Next summer according to Transfermarkt

I would think Rangers will demand a fee for him then.

Cruyff Turn
16 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Things progress and things don't. I didnt say we were done there. 

P.s what about being Scott Wilson?

Any word on Adao daza? 

26 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Please god let McLaughlin have signed a new contract!

Top top keeper

God knows where we would have been in the league without him - right up there performance wise with Gordon, Neimi, etc, IMO.

Sadly he has big offers from down south and he will be off at the end of the season.

16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Reading that suggests to me that nailing down a spot would be a bonus for the player and the club, otherwise there would be no need to mention "helping out the younger ones as well "

I think helping out the younger ones would be more relating to in training and he wants to be a coach as well so that would help him develop that area.

A lot will depend on whether we still have Lafferty with us next season regarding how much game time he gets and how well the younger players show in training and pre-season.

Keena must be in with a shout of being around the first team next season.

Nookie Bear
27 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

It is a fact that an age has a detrimental effect on a sportsman's performance - it all depends on how they best manage that, either by training and eating well to slow down the rate of decline, and by adjusting the way they play.

McLean will be close to 38 by the time his playing contract expires. Not easy for a striker to perform at that age, even in te SPFL

36 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Things progress and things don't. I didnt say we were done there. 

P.s what about being Scott Wilson?

Keeper done???

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It is a fact that an age has a detrimental effect on a sportsman's performance - it all depends on how they best manage that, either by training and eating well to slow down the rate of decline, and by adjusting the way they play.

McLean will be close to 38 by the time his playing contract expires. Not easy for a striker to perform at that age, even in te SPFL

What age is Kenny Miller? 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Kris Boyd 35 this summer

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

What age is Kenny Miller? 

Miller has done nothing in two years now, so rather proves my point.

Ability wise, he started at a much higher level than McLean so got away with it for a while, but it is clearly starting to show.

Nookie Bear
11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Kris Boyd 35 this summer

Yep - adapted his game to suit. Does very little except score, as he has always done. :happy:

Plus, like Miller, was a goo enough striker to begin with to allow for a dip in athletic performance.

Edited by Nookie Bear

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep - adapted his game to suit. Does very little except score, as he has always done. :happy:

Steve Clarke deserves a lot of praise for getting the best out of Boyd but he has done so by playing to his strengths and doesn't expect him to track back and work too hard other than in and around the penalty box.

20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Plus, like Miller, was a goo enough striker to begin with to allow for a dip in athletic performance.

To be fair to Miller he is still in really good condition.

48 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

God knows where we would have been in the league without him - right up there performance wise with Gordon, Neimi, etc, IMO.

Sadly he has big offers from down south and he will be off at the end of the season.

Other than being a cracking goalie this season, another thing I like about Jon is that he’s not come in and said “I’m playing here to earn a big move elsewhere.” He’s come in, worked hard and put in some brilliant performances. 

If he earns himself a deal somewhere down south earning silly money then fair enough - he can’t play forever earning.

12 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

To be fair to Miller he is still in really good condition.

You make him sound like a second hand car.  :biggrin:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Other than being a cracking goalie this season, another thing I like about Jon is that he’s not come in and said “I’m playing here to earn a big move elsewhere.” He’s come in, worked hard and put in some brilliant performances. 

If he earns himself a deal somewhere down south earning silly money then fair enough - he can’t play forever earning.

Yeah it works both ways. He has come in when we really needed someone like him and done a job - on a 1 year contract - and he is entitled to get his best deal. A pity we couldn't convince the Hobo ******* differently, but grateful to have had him and stabilise that situation.

Would be great to see him back but the jungle drums seem to be suggesting McGregor will come in. Then I can be incredibly fickle and claim Allan has always been a hero of mine :lol:

PS Nobody will ever Velcro Antti Niemis gloves, nobody, not ever

:seething:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

More like a 22nd hand *****

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Yeah it works both ways. He has come in when we really needed someone like him and done a job - on a 1 year contract - and he is entitled to get his best deal. A pity we couldn't convince the Hobo ******* differently, but grateful to have had him and stabilise that situation.

Would be great to see him back but the jungle drums seem to be suggesting McGregor will come in. Then I can be incredibly fickle and claim Allan has always been a hero of mine :lol:

PS Nobody will ever Velcro Antti Niemis gloves, nobody, not ever

:seething:

What I’d give to have Niemi back in goals :wub::wub:

5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

10 previous owners.

Paint slightly damaged due to sun.

Doesn't look the best, but still fairly reliable.

Just now, Lovecraft said:

10 previous owners.

Paint slightly damaged due to sun.

Doesn't look the best, but still fairly reliable.

Nice wee runner

11 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

One that doesn't start !

51 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Would you have signed Ibrahimovic if it were financially possible?

One of the fittest players in our team is Don Cowie who is 35.  Berra's not a million miles off 35 either and is one of the fastest defenders in Scotland.

Forget age.  The simple question is whether he is deemed to be good enough to do the job we want him for.  Amen.

15 minutes ago, King prawn said:

What I’d give to have Niemi back in goals :wub::wub:

He's finished though.

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

One of the fittest players in our team is Don Cowie who is 35.  Berra's not a million miles off 35 either and is one of the fastest defenders in Scotland.

Forget age.  The simple question is whether he is deemed to be good enough to do the job we want him for.  Amen.

Berra just turned 33 in January.

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Next summer but looks as if he will be punted after his bust up with Murty.

New manager might have a different view. 

Wallace was the one player that stuck with them when they were liquidated and started in League 2. Should count for something. 

Still likely to come back a good player. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

New manager might have a different view. 

Wallace was the one player that stuck with them when they were liquidated and started in League 2. Should count for something. 

Still likely to come back a good player. 

I was surprised he is only 30.

Escobar PHM
13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Berra has just turned 33. By the time he gets to 35 plus he'll have lost a yard or two. I don't think he's the quickest in any case

Cowie is a very fit but mostly ineffective journeyman pro of type we will have to replace this summer. He's the very epitome of why our midfield is so poor at the moment

Edited by Escobar PHM

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Berra has just turned 33. By the time he gets to 35 plus he'll have lost a yard or two. I don't think he's the quickest in any case

Cowie is a very fit but mostly ineffective journeyman pro of type we will have to replace this summer.

Mystic Meg.

Cowie's effectiveness, I would suggest, is a different issue.

When are we going to see the return on this mentoring strategy?  Are the mentors/youth players going to win a Cup?  Are the young players going to be sold for more cash because they are in the same dressing room as Hughes while he doesn't speak to them?

How about signing players who will create a team with the ability to win a Cup?  Mentoring.  From the same people who brought us the bootroom, Cathro/MacPhee, the sell on strategy, sign players after the window closes, loaning out managers, freezing out high earners ...

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

so your recent statements that some of the names we are looking at are 'awesome' or words to that effect. They're not happening now ?

I didn't say they are not happening. With the amount of work needed in the squad we can expect one or 2 awesome names but also some never heard of or inexperianced.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Keeper done???

Yes

Escobar PHM
14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Mystic Meg.

Its hardly mystic to suppose that a just turned 33 year old will lose a bit of pace by the time he hits 35. Its not too serious an issue with Berra who's got the positional sense and the game reading ability and the nous to get away with a drop off in straightline speed.

10 minutes ago, Coco said:

When are we going to see the return on this mentoring strategy?  Are the mentors/youth players going to win a Cup?  Are the young players going to be sold for more cash because they are in the same dressing room as Hughes while he doesn't speak to them?

How about signing players who will create a team with the ability to win a Cup?  Mentoring.  From the same people who brought us the bootroom, Cathro/MacPhee, the sell on strategy, sign players after the window closes, loaning out managers, freezing out high earners ...

Arguably, signing players who have won cups (and leagues in some cases) and who are able to pass that experience on is more likely to result in a team that has the ability to win a cup.  But both you and I know that there are no guarantees, don't we?

And this term 'mentoring' is just something for some people to latch onto.  It's not new.  Having an older, more experienced player playing along side inexperienced, younger players has been around for a while.  Levein benefitted from it.  Robbo benefitted from it.

10 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

I didn't say they are not happening. With the amount of work needed in the squad we can expect one or 2 awesome names but also some never heard of or inexperianced.

Yes

Any idea when the keeper could be announced?

Wouldn't ask you to say anything but I've got no patience :laugh:

jamboinglasgow
13 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Yes

Have heard anything about the Northern irish left back we were linked to a few weeks back?

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Its hardly mystic to suppose that a just turned 33 year old will lose a bit of pace by the time he hits 35. Its not too serious an issue with Berra who's got the positional sense and the game reading ability and the nous to get away with a drop off in straightline speed.

Yes but you didn't suppose.  You said he WOULD have lost a yard or two.  That's Mystic Meg stuff.  Whether Berra's got the nous or not is only loosely relevant.

Just now, Escobar PHM said:

You are, of course, correct that as players age, they slow down.  But players, in the main, are much fitter now, and that slowing down process maybe is not as accentuated as it would have been even ten years ago.  Personally, I think we're starting to see a bit of a better balance in the squad with a mixture of youth, players in the mid-20s bracket, and then seniors.

There's been criticism on here that we're depending too heavily on boys; now we're depending too heavily on geriatrics.  Is there an optimum age bracket that we should be looking at?  Something else we could stipulate in contracts along with the 2-week cooling off period, perhaps.

Escobar PHM
7 minutes ago, Haken said:

There's been criticism on here that we're depending too heavily on boys; now we're depending too heavily on geriatrics.  Is there an optimum age bracket that we should be looking at?  Something else we could stipulate in contracts along with the 2-week cooling off period, perhaps.

I don't see too many in our squad at the peak performance age 25-29.

Absolute Scenes
23 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Yes

Does the keeper go by the name Allan, by any chance...?

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, tian447 said:

He's finished though.

disgrace he was never picked for Scotland tbh.

OF bias has always been there...

Escobar PHM
10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Yes but you didn't suppose.  You said he WOULD have lost a yard or two.  That's Mystic Meg stuff.  Whether Berra's got the nous or not is only loosely relevant.

Your semantic argument is only valid if youre telling me he WONT lose a yard or two. Are you ?