Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

Nookie Bear
50 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Would you have signed Ibrahimovic if it were financially possible?

One of the fittest players in our team is Don Cowie who is 35.  Berra's not a million miles off 35 either and is one of the fastest defenders in Scotland.

Forget age.  The simple question is whether he is deemed to be good enough to do the job we want him for.  Amen.

To sit on the bench and talk to the kids? Probably.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Bridge of Djoum

44 minutes ago, tian447 said:

He's finished though.

Och naebody else has....

No his naw....he's Scottish........

?

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I don't see too many in our squad at the peak performance age 25-29.

why is that even important?

a good player in progress or a good player that is slightly older is better than a shite player in his peak.

Naismith is a better player than me now than I was at my peak at 28.

getting hung up on the age thing us nonsense, particularly as many have moaned about our inexperience and lack of depth.

This place is bonkers. 

4 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

Striking depertment sorted 2 players signed.

Goalkeeper sorted.

Working on Naismith return.

Defenders & midfield being worked on. 

Id expect 6 in- in time for pre season

Think you better look at the goalkeeper again because its certainly not sorted as you say.

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

why is that even important?

a good player in progress or a good player that is slightly older is better than a shite player in his peak.

Naismith is a better player than me now than I was at my peak at 28.

getting hung up on the age thing us nonsense, particularly as many have moaned about our inexperience and lack of depth.

This place is bonkers. 

You don't think there is an issue with having a significant group of players who cant play every week ? That applies to kids as well as oldies by the way.

Edited by Escobar PHM

7 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I don't see too many in our squad at the peak performance age 25-29.

I genuinely don't know how old the various players are.  I think my perception is that there are some laddies, some older ones, and some in the middle, but my middle might be 22-29!  I guess the most important thing is are the players any good, whatever age they are?

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

You don't think there is an issue with having a significant group of players who cant play every week ? That applies to kids as well as oldies by the way.

I can't make that call yet.

the transfer window hasn't even opened yet, never mind closed. 

people over 29 and folk under 25 can play regularly as well. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Escobar PHM
8 minutes ago, Haken said:

I genuinely don't know how old the various players are.  I think my perception is that there are some laddies, some older ones, and some in the middle, but my middle might be 22-29!  I guess the most important thing is are the players any good, whatever age they are?

3 players in the squad between 25-29. one hasn't been picked for months ( Martin). Djoum and Bauben ( who is 30 later this month) are the others.

13 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Think you better look at the goalkeeper again because its certainly not sorted as you say.

Thats disapointing then. Friend of mine who supports another club says talk of thier goalkeeper signing for us is bang on.

15 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Outwith Hughes and Cochran’s who are these players we need to worry about playing every week? None of the other youngsters are good enough to play every week and Hughes has played exactly half the games this season as a 38 year old squad player. If all players are fit he doesn’t start- even though he’s good enough at this level. The rest of the players play every week when needed. 

Homer and Barts

I have a feeling that Amankwaa will be like a new signing next season. Full pre season under his belt, the crowd behind him and i think we will see a flying machine

27 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Your semantic argument is only valid if youre telling me he WONT lose a yard or two. Are you ?

My argument is valid if I just wait and see and not be so presumptiously negative.

3 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Thats disapointing then. Friend of mine who supports another club says talk of thier goalkeeper signing for us is bang on.

So your source this time is a friend who supports another club but has heard his goalkeeper is signing for us? 

I think you’ve done well recently in holding your water so to speak. This one doesn’t help your credibility one bit Daza. 

2 minutes ago, Markymark said:

So your source this time is a friend who supports another club but has heard his goalkeeper is signing for us? 

I think you’ve done well recently in holding your water so to speak. This one doesn’t help your credibility one bit Daza. 

Im not bothered about credability from JKB tbh. Some snippets work some don't.  Looking forward to the haters coming out the woodwork.

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

My argument is valid if I just wait and see and not be so presumptiously negative.

Sorry but I don't see the negativity in opining that an athlete will be slower at 35 than he is at just turned 33. If your going to be persistently confrontational, pick the right battles mate cos you're losing this one hands down.

31 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

To sit on the bench and talk to the kids? Probably.

Is that your negative view?

Probably, probably , probably.

Just now, dazajmbo said:

Im not bothered about credability from JKB tbh. Some snippets work some don't.  Looking forward to the haters coming out the woodwork.

I’m not one by the way, and we’ve had previous which I apologised for. Spot on with Naismith and lafferty but this will just be the ammo some of the idiots require to ridicule and put you back into hiding. Out of interest and clearly it won’t blow anyone’s cover but who was the keeper your mate had us linked to?

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Sorry but I don't see the negativity in opining that an athlete will be slower at 35 than he is at just turned 33. If your going to be persistently confrontational, pick the right battles mate cos you're losing this one hands down.

But you didn't opine.  You said he WOULD lose a yard or two.  No opining or supposition about it.  Mystic Meg stuff.

I am not being confrontational - you are.

I am opposing the stereotypical view and have said It depends upon the individual and what role he has been asked to perform

2 minutes ago, Markymark said:

I’m not one by the way, and we’ve had previous which I apologised for. Spot on with Naismith and lafferty but this will just be the ammo some of the idiots require to ridicule and put you back into hiding. Out of interest and clearly it won’t blow anyone’s cover but who was the keeper your mate had us linked to?

I'm not gonna share that just now. I doubt it but Notts could be mistaken.

Just now, dazajmbo said:

I'm not gonna share that just now. I doubt it but Notts could be mistaken.

He's not ?. Nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

8 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

He's not ?. Nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

Free to share away then Daza ?

Escobar PHM
15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

But you didn't opine.  You said he WOULD lose a yard or two.  No opining or supposition about it.  Mystic Meg stuff.

I am not being confrontational - you are.

I am opposing the stereotypical view and have said It depends upon the individual and what role he has been asked to perform

Time a fully fit Berra over 30 yards at just turned 33. Time him over 30 yards at 35. It is a nailed on biological certainty that he wont be as quick.

Now, your pedantry is only amusing you now, so I'll toddle off and find someone a bit less testy to debate with if its all the same to you.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Deans Jambo
36 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

3 players in the squad between 25-29. one hasn't been picked for months ( Martin). Djoum and Bauben ( who is 30 later this month) are the others.

Michael Smith, 29?

Joaquim Adao 25

Just short are;

Jack Hamilton 24

Danny Amankwaa 24

David Milinkovic (about to turn 24)

Ross Callachan 24

Granted some are on loan. 

Edited by Deans Jambo

Jambo jambo
25 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Hiya pal....

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Does the keeper go by the name Allan, by any chance...?

His first name is Thomson.

Escobar PHM
25 minutes ago, Deans Jambo said:

Michael Smith, 29?

Joaquim Adao 25

Just short are;

Jack Hamilton 24

Danny Amankwaa 24

David Milinkovic (about to turn 24)

Ross Callachan 24

Granted some are on loan. 

Yeh, missed out Smith. Point is we don't have that many at their physical peak

33 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Time a fully fit Berra over 30 yards at just turned 33. Time him over 30 yards at 35. It is a nailed on biological certainty that he wont be as quick.

Now, your pedantry is only amusing you now, so I'll toddle off and find someone a bit less testy to debate with if its all the same to you.

Your attempt at psychology is pathetic.

I think you stuck your nose in unnecessarily and you're now in too deep to retract.

You can present all the stereotypical claptrap you want and try to impose your view as fact but it won't alter the fact that it depends upon the individual and the job he is asked to do.

So you're quite right to toddle off.

Jamboscanbevicius

With MacLean officially announced, and Ikpeazu appearing to be done, there is an interesting and noticeable change to most seasons... pre-contract deals !

I have always wondered in the past few seasons why we have watched as Aberdeen and others have got their business done early with pre-contracts, whilst we seemed to wait until June before doing anything. Maybe my memory is poor, but I can't remember the last time we announced a pre-contract agreement, and now it looks like we will have a few in place with several games of this season to play.

A good sign about having a plan and executing it IMO

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Miller has done nothing in two years now, so rather proves my point.

Ability wise, he started at a much higher level than McLean so got away with it for a while, but it is clearly starting to show.

You weren’t at Murrayfield then? Ran us ragged that day 

2 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

I didn't say they are not happening. With the amount of work needed in the squad we can expect one or 2 awesome names but also some never heard of or inexperianced.

Yes

McGregor? 100% sure?

12 minutes ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

With MacLean officially announced, and Ikpeazu appearing to be done, there is an interesting and noticeable change to most seasons... pre-contract deals !

I have always wondered in the past few seasons why we have watched as Aberdeen and others have got their business done early with pre-contracts, whilst we seemed to wait until June before doing anything. Maybe my memory is poor, but I can't remember the last time we announced a pre-contract agreement, and now it looks like we will have a few in place with several games of this season to play.

Stockton was PCA as was Christophe. 

Edited by Juanjo15

2 minutes ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

We do seem a bit determined to complete a substantial part of our signing work early.   McLean seems to have been signed with something specific in mind while Ikpeazu , if youtube is anything to go by, looks as though he might do well up here.  After all who knew much about Curtis Main or Louis Moult before they arrived on the Motherwell scene and they didn't do too badly.

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

He might have improved his technique though, and be good at passing on his knowledge

My gut feeling is that it will work quite well. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

**** me. It's April 17. How do we get to August 31 a mere 136 days away.

Billie?

Jambo jambo
2 hours ago, Markymark said:

Not one bit...

23 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Billie?

billie.jpg

2 minutes ago, Zico said:

Significant lack of Sagittarians in the squad. Lack of balance. LEVINE OUT!!!

The next signing has to be Vegan. Really lacking in that department as well.

1 hour ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Where is the pace from middle to front.

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Where is the pace from middle to front.

Oh I don't know but maybe you should wait until the end of the window before commenting? That window that isn't even open yet.

Glad we are getting some business done early but I won’t get excited until I see us address our worst area!! Midfield.

we have all said it for seasons now.

we need some creativity and forward thinking players with Drive  in there and imo have never addressed it.

it needs to happen this close season.

Edited by 1874robbo

51 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Billie?

Excruciating.  Pages and pages of inane drivel and people trying to pick spats 

SuperstarSteve
52 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Billie?

This made me giggle! Where she at? ?

Jamboscanbevicius
1 hour ago, Juanjo15 said:

Stockton was PCA as was Christophe. 

Fair enough... looking back and they were announced on 23rd May and 2nd June respectively. Both PCA's as you say, but the season was effectively over and they seemed like window signings.

I was more thinking of the deals that get done between Jan and Apr, where players finish out the season with their current clubs. Like Aberdeen signing Tansey last year in March, and our deal for MacLean.

It seems like in early Bosman days it was much more common practice to reach Jan and then approach targets to seek PCA's with players reaching the end of contracts, but I guess many hedge their bets these days to get better deals if they wait.

Anyway... I like the idea of getting work done in advance, even if the more exciting names are still to come!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

billie.jpg

I knew someone would oblige. As long as we stay on topic the odd pic should keep us in good spirits through the 20 weeks of joy ahead :lol:

Just had an interesting conversation with someone very well connected at the club.

They told me Charlie Adam and Darren Fletcher will be at Hearts come the summer.... don’t shoot me, just passing it on.

3 minutes ago, Fandango said:

Just had an interesting conversation with someone very well connected at the club.

They told me Charlie Adam and Darren Fletcher will be at Hearts come the summer.... don’t shoot me, just passing it on.

Fletcher will only ever be back in Scotland to coach at his beloved Celtic.