Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

1 minute ago, Jambo92 said:

All about expectation, low expectations low pressure.  Let's look at Sammon, goes to a team like Patrick plays in with a bit of freedom knowing he will likely be starting most weeks regardless of how he plays, knocks in a few goals - his team are bottom of the league however lots of Hearts fans howling for him to be brought back in January. 

Main - good player for Motherwell, however if he joined Hearts he wouldn't be nearly as successful, fact. 

I don't think you can really state that as fact 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Bridge of Djoum

If Louis Moult is out of favour at Preston, we could do a lot worse than putting in a cheeky loan offer over the summer.  Especially as given the interest in Steven MacLean, I'm assuming that Naismith will not be here next season!

1 hour ago, MaskedMarauder said:

He was one of the many St Johnstone players in a pub with Danny Swanson giving it big licks about Hibs beating Hearts not so long ago. Swanson was a St Johnstone player and they were all singing SOL and had some chants about Hearts too. Video was on Swanson’s Instagram I’m sure. 

Sure it was the day after St Johnstone had beat us and most of the team stayed over in Edinburgh on the saturday before having a sunday afternoon session is Gladstones (owned by the swansons), most of them were actually alright (Danny for example doesn't normally drink if at all when I've seen him in there) but Davidson was an utter pain in the arse, trying to be the stereotype 90's footballer (mccoist/Gazza etc) and giving it the whole do you know who I am routine.

Cruyff Turn
9 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I suspect the point about Motherwell re Main & Moult is their scouting yielded that pair for nothing and ours yielded Stockton from a broadly comparable level 

How many strikers have we signed from the English lower leagues? One? Being Stockton, who was a punt on Cathros behalf, he didn't come from Hearts scouts, that was Cathro' s guy. There's always the factor as well that players come to sides like Motherwell and actually get games to prove their worth. We've seen with players like Juanma, that despite proving himself able to score goals, this wasn't deemed good enough by supporters or the manager. 

John Murray scouted Geoff Horsfield in 96 for JJ, we were going to sign him but Halifax wanted too much money, he'd have been an absolutely magnificent signing as his career suggests and we in hindsight should have parted with the cash. 

Moult was signed by Mark McGhee who has worked as a manager up and down the Country and probably knew a fair bit about him. Robinson the Motherwell manager probably played against Main and having played in England will certainly have been in a position to have known what he was getting. I don't think either of those two were down to Motherwells vast network of scouts, more to do with the managers knowledge of the players and contacts. I don't think we have had that luxury, as we've not had a manager or coaches who has played within the English lower leagues.

I think we probably are interested in Uche Ikpeazu, who was an extremely promising youngster but like Moult, never made It at Watford, in Moults case, Stoke, who was also punted from club to club on loan and is looking to work his way back up. He could be good signing if we get him. 

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I do not think the signing of MacLean will have any bearing whatsoever in determining whether or not Naismith stays. 

Time will tell of course.

Very much hope you're right mate. Just a bit worried that we're looking at striking options when it's the midfield that we really need to add to! 

On 14/04/2018 at 14:19, New York Fleapit said:

Isn't that the brewers derby or something?

It sounds that exciting I think I’d get brewers droop instead :)

hmfc_liam06

Do folk genuinely think MacLean signing is the end for Naismith??

Agent: We want £10k a week for Naismith.

Levein: Sorry but that's way out of our league, we'll have to move on.

Meanwhile, Levein and the coaches/scouts gather...

Levein: Guys, Naismith is off the table, we need someone to replace him. Someone of the same calibre to get the fans onside.

Macphee: What about Steven Fletcher?

Levein: Nah he's a dick.

Daly: Lets take a stab at the lower leagues again, it works for Motherwell?

Levein: You mental John? No remember Stockton?

Murray: I've got it Craig, what about Steven MacLean?

Levein: ****ing bingo John, lets go get him! He's ideal, the fans will love it...

10 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yeah. Midfield signings are paramount. 

Creativity and pace essential.

Should be an interesting summer.

Certainly should be an interesting summer 

Midfield does require significant attention. Reality is that despite a number of good players, few of whom are here on loan, we remain significantly adrift of the top 5 and probably likely to finish c. 10 points short of those placings 

MaskedMarauder
46 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Sure it was the day after St Johnstone had beat us and most of the team stayed over in Edinburgh on the saturday before having a sunday afternoon session is Gladstones (owned by the swansons), most of them were actually alright (Danny for example doesn't normally drink if at all when I've seen him in there) but Davidson was an utter pain in the arse, trying to be the stereotype 90's footballer (mccoist/Gazza etc) and giving it the whole do you know who I am routine.

Ahh I see. Knew it was after a Hearts defeat but just found it a bit childish. Was right after Swanson left us if I remember. No idea what Davidson’s problem was though. 

22 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I do not think the signing of MacLean will have any bearing whatsoever in determining whether or not Naismith stays. 

Time will tell of course.

FWIW I think the McLean signing strongly suggests Naismith is staying with us. If we assume Naismith and Lafferty are still here come August and we have Currie and Keena coming through there is absolutely no point in spending a lot of money on another striker because they wouldn’t be starting many games. There is a need for experienced cover for Naismith and Laff and I think that’s where McLean fits in. By all accounts we are also taking a punt on the Cambridge guy. That means we will have six options up front without spending much more than we spent this season leaving the bulk of any money we have for lb and midfield reinforcements . 

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

FWIW I think the McLean signing strongly suggests Naismith is staying with us. If we assume Naismith and Lafferty are still here come August and we have Currie and Keena coming through there is absolutely no point in spending a lot of money on another striker because they wouldn’t be starting many games. There is a need for experienced cover for Naismith and Laff and I think that’s where McLean fits in. By all accounts we are also taking a punt on the Cambridge guy. That means we will have six options up front without spending much more than we spent this season leaving the bulk of any money we have for lb and midfield reinforcements . 

You may have a good point here. Although if we get the boy from Cambridge U I think Currie may go out on loan.

1 minute ago, Jenks said:

You may have a good point here. Although if we get the boy from Cambridge U I think Currie may go out on loan.

Different players will go out on loan next season

Most out just now will be released 

25 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That is how would read it too 

Midfield is the big area of focus as many have indicated. Left back too as you say 

We may also need 2 keepers with Hamilton needing to go out to get game time before deciding what we do with him longer term 

rick witter
1 hour ago, Spencer said:

I suspect the point about Motherwell re Main & Moult is their scouting yielded that pair for nothing and ours yielded Stockton from a broadly comparable level 

Got it in one mate. We ended up with a player who could hardly even run when looking at the same level down in England. I’m wondering if it’s only certain agents we want to deal with as there is no way Main would only have been offered to Motherwell. We continually seem to sign the wrong one. 

36 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Common sense

I’m away for a lie down

Finlay James
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Very much hope you're right mate. Just a bit worried that we're looking at striking options when it's the midfield that we really need to add to! 

Its more likely that we have already signed players but clubs or player have asked us not to announce yet if they still have something to play for.  I've heard this is the case with Scott Fraser from Dundee Utd.

Will need to be some serious quality brought into the midfield if the above posts are correct with regards our striker options. 

Clerry Jambo
59 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not disagreeing mate with what you say however keeping naisy will take a bit of money.

8 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Its more likely that we have already signed players but clubs or player have asked us not to announce yet if they still have something to play for.  I've heard this is the case with Scott Fraser from Dundee Utd.

It still wouldn’t stop the media getting hold of it especially Scott Burns of the Express. His jobs to sell media not keep players deals under hush.

2 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Not disagreeing mate with what you say however keeping naisy will take a bit of money.

Remember this was almost a permanent deal in January.

Clerry Jambo
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

That’s true Notts, fingers crossed things can get tied up quickly for the wee man

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

What strikes me about Motherwell is that they are quite straight-forward: they need a right back? They buy a right back. They need a strong centre back? They buy a strong centre back. Need a striker? Buy a striker.

I don't sense much philosophy being applied, just pragmatic squad management.

It makes them look much more organised and is a policy that will do you ok in the SPL.

This is what I hate about our transfer windows. We always seem to want a player who can play LB and RB and also DM if Levein fancies. Then we sign a striker and play him in the hole, or out wide. 

Just sign a player who knows what his job is all season. 

7 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

That’s true Notts, fingers crossed things can get tied up quickly for the wee man

Well as others have already said he loves it here. If the deal doesn't happen it won't be because of Hearts or Naismith.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Do folk genuinely think MacLean signing is the end for Naismith??

Agent: We want £10k a week for Naismith.

Levein: Sorry but that's way out of our league, we'll have to move on.

Meanwhile, Levein and the coaches/scouts gather...

Levein: Guys, Naismith is off the table, we need someone to replace him. Someone of the same calibre to get the fans onside.

Macphee: What about Steven Fletcher?

Levein: Nah he's a dick.

Daly: Lets take a stab at the lower leagues again, it works for Motherwell?

Levein: You mental John? No remember Stockton?

Murray: I've got it Craig, what about Steven MacLean?

Levein: ****ing bingo John, lets go get him! He's ideal, the fans will love it...

McLean signing is end of everything.

Holyrood_Hearts
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Great post.

The point about having experienced cover has been missed by so many. 

The pieces of the jigsaw are starting to find their spaces.

Credit where it is due, Levein is canny at building a team.

I think we will all be pleasantly surprised come the start of next season by, not just the starting 11, but the cover as well.

Edited by VladMagic
Missed "just"

18 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Space in St Johnstone's squad for Danny Swanson 

Or our's 

15 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

The pieces of the jigsaw are starting to find their spaces.

Credit where it is due, Levein is canny at building a team.

I think we will all be pleasantly surprised come the start of next season by, not just the starting 11, but the cover as well.

I think so too. 

40 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Don’t think so. He will get a decent pay-off from Norwich for cancelling last year of contract. Top earner with us on 2-3 year deal. But no need to break the bank for him. He wants back to Scotland for family reasons. We are clearly his best option. 

Escobar PHM
39 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

You just know after all the bitching and hand wringing (myself included) that Mclean is going to be brilliant for us.

portobellojambo1
48 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Agree, and I still don't think he, personally, will be looking for lots of money, he wants to be playing football regularly. Norwich City may be a different issue, but in all honesty if they ain't going to play him but want to keep him it doesn't make sense. If he is earning around £35k per week from them that equates to around £1.8 million over a period of one year. Surely, from their point of view, it would make more sense to release the player from his contract and use that money in some way to either retain someone they want playing regularly or bring in someone who could help out their team instantly.

Highly rated by the Saints fans who seem gutted to see him go. Will be a decent additIon to the squad. Low risk and low cost as well. I’ll judge Levein once all the players have been signed. 

3 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Agree, and I still don't think he, personally, will be looking for lots of money, he wants to be playing football regularly. Norwich City may be a different issue, but in all honesty if they ain't going to play him but want to keep him it doesn't make sense. If he is earning around £35k per week from them that equates to around £1.8 million over a period of one year. Surely, from their point of view, it would make more sense to release the player from his contract and use that money in some way to either retain someone they want playing regularly or bring in someone who could help out their team instantly.

If he is on £35k perweek then that costs Norwich a bit over £2m per year with NI plus all his other expenses taken into account. 

From his £35k per week he sees about £17k per week less whatever pension contributions he is making. Over a year it’s probably about £700k in his pocket. If we pay him£5k per week over three years his net pay from us over three years is probably £300k. If his agent negotiates a £750k pay off from Norwich they save £1.25m and Naismith doesn’t really lose out in terms of guaranteed income. And he is back in Scotland, playing first team football, and without any serious injuries, back in the Scotland squad. What could go wrong????????

Thought Police

Can we try and get behind SM now and not boo him the first time he doesn’t win a header?

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

You just know after all the bitching and hand wringing (myself included) that Mclean is going to be brilliant for us.

hopefully.

at worst he'll give us something from the bench.

win/ win

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Thought Police said:

Can we try and get behind SM now and not boo him the first time he doesn’t win a header?

He probably never even tried to win it either, no effort.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Escobar PHM
12 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

He'll be treated, I imagine, like every other Hearts player. Start off with a clean sheet and an open mind. If you're good for us you'll get plenty of appreciation. If you're very good you'll be a legend and there's no better club to be a legend at. If you're shite you'll get plenty of stick. And you won't get long to prove yourself because we're a big club needing big players who are good. Thats the deal when you sign for Hearts. If you're not up to the job, we'll know pretty soon, we'll let you know that we know, and you'll not be here long (unless we've given you a ridiculous contract in which case you can piss off home for weeks at a time and we'll still pay you - ask Malaury how you get that gig)

Edited by Escobar PHM

11 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

He probably never even tried to win it either, no effort.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Guy's a wage feef. Once we start paying his wages, obviously. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Strange that hearts haven't announced signing yet 

I'm fairly sure the club has said it'll do it's business quietly and not announce pre-contract agreements with players still at their club. If the current club wants to, that's their prerogative.

Nothing strange in it whatsoever.

Escobar PHM
6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Strange that hearts haven't announced signing yet 

I imagine we'll have a departures and arrivals day on the near horizon. Levein said there would be an out list before the split.

On the subject of Murray Davidson a saints fan I know mentioned that he was headed to us in the summer a week or so back. Never took much notice but maybe there was something in it?

1 hour ago, cocobeab said:

Adam not even on the bench for Stoke tonight.

Signinng tomorrow, nap. 

Suspended, 35 year old striker from St Johnstone **** me.

Official_AB

A name mentioned to me the other day....

Dario Maresic - 18yo Austrian CB 

out of contract in June 

might be nothing/ might be something