Offers already made to 3 players ( merged )

maroonsgotop

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Meanwhile Motherwell seem to be able to pick up cracking strikers under the radar..........Moult and Main for instance.

Aye, Lafferty and Naismith are shite.... Main is better than them.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Spencer

• JamboAl

• Bazzas right boot

Absolute Scenes
Just now, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

yip, still need a left side tho, skinny and Danny are both right footed. Both have been shoehorned on the left.

Aw didn't realise that!

yeah would be good to have both sides! Is McDonald left footed?

ford donald
57 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Pretty sure this was stated at the start of the Levein/Neilson regime.

Seem to rememer this being said.bring young players on ,then after a few years, sell them on..

4 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Aye, Lafferty and Naismith are shite.... Main is better than them.

On current form he is!

132goals1958
17 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Meanwhile Motherwell seem to be able to pick up cracking strikers under the radar..........Moult and Main for instance.

I notice Moult has yet to score for Preston and looks to be out of favour

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Aw didn't realise that!

yeah would be good to have both sides! Is McDonald left footed?

McDonald or Moore is left footed, I forget which one, think it's Moore.

Unsure if Skinny is a left winger who is right footed, but it would be good to have a left footer as an option. 

Danny is meant to be a right winger, but he's not played there yet. That's why I am not judging him to harshly on his cameos on the left side.

Wingers tend to have good games and then bad games, they need rotated and we need options from the bench/ injury cover as well,  a left footed winger is a must if we are playing 451/ 442.

Nookie Bear
21 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

So if we signed Steven Naismith, Charlie Adam, Murray Davidson, Allan McGregor, Demi Mitchell, David Milinkovic plus having the second defence in Scotland...you'd question the strength of our squad if Steven McLean played a game?

That is a weird post 

None of those players you list have signed for next season.

See where we are at the end of August

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

I notice Moult has yet to score for Preston and looks to be out of favour

Maybe - the point is he scored plenty and was a big success at Motherwell, and they got good money for him.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

On current form he is!

Main has only scored about 4 league goals. He's scored more than Naismith, but only just

Hardly above form on Lafferty and Naismith!

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

On current form he is!

Kris Boyd is better than Dembele and Griffiths as well I take it?

Not even going to debate this, I am happy with Lafferty and Naismith as options. If you want to champion guys like Main, fire away.

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

None of those players you list have signed for next season.

See where we are at the end of August

hence the "if"

1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Main has only scored about 4 league goals. He's scored more than Naismith, but only just

Why are you ignoring his SC goals?

My point was that Motherwell seem to sign strikers under the radar that are a big success, and give them good sell on value. Moult was a good example, and if Main keeps performing then bigger Clubs will come calling to buy him.

Lafftery and Naismith are quality players however Naismith is on loan, and I do not believe Laff will have any sell on value.

132goals1958

Maybe - the point is he scored plenty and was a big success at Motherwell, and they got good money for him.

Take the point as Motherwell got a good return on their investment. Just an observation.on his present status.

4 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Kris Boyd is better than Dembele and Griffiths as well I take it?

Not even going to debate this, I am happy with Lafferty and Naismith as options. If you want to champion guys like Main, fire away.

I am not suggesting Laff and Naismith are "shite" - your words not mine!

They are quality players, however I would be delighted to have Main at Hearts.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

My point was that Motherwell seem to sign strikers under the radar that are a big success, and give them good sell on value. Moult was a good example, and if Main keeps performing then bigger Clubs will come calling to buy him.

Lafftery and Naismith are quality players however Naismith is on loan, and I do not believe Laff will have any sell on value.

What strikes me about Motherwell is that they are quite straight-forward: they need a right back? They buy a right back. They need a strong centre back? They buy a strong centre back. Need a striker? Buy a striker.

I don't sense much philosophy being applied, just pragmatic squad management.

It makes them look much more organised and is a policy that will do you ok in the SPL.

Managers look at overall quality in players. (Well, you think they should!)

I don’t think Main is generally that great. Some players just suit certain clubs with different levels of expectation. 

Its also about getting the correct players with the right temperament at bigger clubs. 

5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Managers look at overall quality in players. (Well, you think they should!)

I don’t think Main is generally that great. Some players just suit certain clubs with different levels of expectation. 

Its also about getting the correct players with the right temperament at bigger clubs. 

Like getting to 2 cup finals in one season........

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Are they above us in the league? 

Come on getting to 2 cup finals in a season is good going ...

1 minute ago, jambocub said:

Come on getting to 2 cup finals in a season is good going ...

I never said it wasn’t mate. Great achievement. 

Absolute Scenes
17 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

yeah I do agree mate, but I think its a normal reaction from us to look at other players and covet them, rather than looking at our own and seeing the quality there

I'm not sure how much he's scored In the cup overall, but I'm not denying that Motherwell have an act for uncovering gems.

their scout system seems on point down in England

Enzo Chiefo
16 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Maybe he means "higher" levels of expectation

31 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Are they above us in the league? 

I would swap 2 cup final appearances for 6th place in a nano second!!!

Edited by Thomaso

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

cup finals are all good but you get **** all unless you win it.

St Mirren was a dull one for us, I have never celebrated getting to the final and I wouldn't have classed as getting to the final and then beat an achievement

I am sure hibs fan never thought back as beating 5-1 in the final as a good season.

JKB and certain posters are so predictable, Killie were the benchmark for a while and now Motherwell are.

We have had a problem with strikers for what seems like 20 odd years, Naismith ( if he stays) and Lafferty are good players and once we sort out the middle of the park I am sure they will be better.

Motherwell are a decent team , they have been established for the past 20/30 years in the top flight. well done them.

In recent years, St Mirren, Ross county, st johnstone, ICT and hibs have all won cups, two have then been relegated, one looks like they are going down and hibs , well they'll be pish gain soon enough.

I don't think cup final or even winning the thing on it's own means that you are a club that is moving forward in the right direction and will be competing consistently.

We need better players both in quality and mentally wise at Hearts.

Killie- done well in the league, Motherwell done well in the cups ( this season)- well done them. Irrelevant, IMO in relation to what we are doing.

23 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

yeah I do agree mate, but I think its a normal reaction from us to look at other players and covet them, rather than looking at our own and seeing the quality there

I'm not sure how much he's scored In the cup overall, but I'm not denying that Motherwell have an act for uncovering gems.

their scout system seems on point down in England

Agreed - that was my point.

46 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I'm not getting the hype meself to be honest. Folk are comparing him to Moult

Absolute Scenes
Just now, Jamhammer said:

I mean, he's Connor Sammon on steroids (if that's possible)

Agreed. think he's only scored one goal outside the six yard box

1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

If Main does as well for Well as Moult did (goals and transfer income) then they will have uncovered another gem.

1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I mean, he's Connor Sammon on steroids (if that's possible)

Agreed. think he's only scored one goal outside the six yard box

:vrface:

Just now, Thomaso said:

If Main does as well for Well as Moult did (goals and transfer income) then they will have uncovered another gem.

Aye IF

2 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Aye IF

Nothing certain in football but the guy is showing promise.

Nothing certain in football but the guy is showing promise.

Agree but he's not up to Moult standard yet.

7 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Agree but he's not up to Moult standard yet.

Maybe not - but his second goal in the SC semi was quality.

Absolute Scenes
14 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Maybe not - but his second goal in the SC semi was quality.

It was good, I wouldn't say quality...I mean it was on a plate for him, bit of luck the ball bobbling off the Aberdeen player - but did show why strikers should never stop chasing down a ball.

MaskedMarauder
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Murray Davidson seems to get mentioned in every transfer window, if the club still have the policy of signing 'the person not just the player' then Davidson will never be anywhere near tynecastle!

It would also go entirely against the mantra of signing experienced pro's that are a good example to the younger players, having seen how Davidson conducts himself in public he is very much not a good example to young players.

He was one of the many St Johnstone players in a pub with Danny Swanson giving it big licks about Hibs beating Hearts not so long ago. Swanson was a St Johnstone player and they were all singing SOL and had some chants about Hearts too. Video was on Swanson’s Instagram I’m sure. 

27 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

It was good, I wouldn't say quality...I mean it was on a plate for him, bit of luck the ball bobbling off the Aberdeen player - but did show why strikers should never stop chasing down a ball.

Thought he showed tenacity in closing the defender down, then good pace/ball control to get away from the defenders, then a really cool finish....looked quality to me TBH.

I suspect the point about Motherwell re Main & Moult is their scouting yielded that pair for nothing and ours yielded Stockton from a broadly comparable level 

Escobar PHM
10 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I suspect the point about Motherwell re Main & Moult is their scouting yielded that pair for nothing and ours yielded Stockton from a broadly comparable level 

We just don't seem to be shopping for the same goods in the same shop as them, and we should be ( and we should be up a shelve or two). We're developing youth fairly successfully (certainly in terms of potential) and we're picking up a few decent experienced players ( I still think we shouldn't have signed Mclean but you cant argue with Berra, Naismith and Lafferty) but we just don't seem to attract anything in between.(in the 24-28 age bracket from mid league England) We still seem to be adhering to this strategy that you can get more bang for your buck in lower league Europe and elsewhere abroad. I think that's a serious flaw in our strategy basically because it isn't true pound for pound.

Edited by Escobar PHM

chester copperpot

Tbh Main was a royal pain in the arse for the Aberdeen defence on Saturday.

Even if he hadn't scored and Well had been beat, I kind of like my forward players to do that.

Not seen enough of him to make a proper judgement on him, but if he does that kind of running when Well toil then I would be happy with that.

chester copperpot
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

We just don't seem to be shopping for the same goods in the same shop as them, and we should be. We're developing youth fairly successfully (certainly in terms of potential) and we're picking up a few decent experienced players ( I still think we shouldn't have signed Mclean but you cant argue with Berra, Naismith and Lafferty) but we just don't seem to attract anything in between.(in the 24-28 age bracket from mid league England) We still seem to be adhering to this strategy that you can get more bang for your buck in lower league Europe and elsewhere abroad. I think that's a serious flaw in our strategy basically because it isn't true pound for pound.

I get your point in this, I really do. Just hope we get things right soon as there are some cracking players playing down south in the lower leagues.

Olly Lee maybe? 

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, chester copperpot said:

Tbh Main was a royal pain in the arse for the Aberdeen defence on Saturday.

Even if he hadn't scored and Well had been beat, I kind of like my forward players to do that.

Not seen enough of him to make a proper judgement on him, but if he does that kind of running when Well toil then I would be happy with that.

I think he's one of the signings of the season (Him and Milinkovic) He gave our 2 centre backs a game in the cup tie sure enough

ford donald
13 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Stockton,woeful player.

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I get your point in this, I really do. Just hope we get things right soon as there are some cracking players playing down south in the lower leagues.

Olly Lee maybe? 

The fellah looks good actually. Scored again at the weekend. Hope that rumour is true. And the big striker we're looking at. Another one who plays in the market we should be looking in.

Edited by Escobar PHM

15 minutes ago, Spencer said:

OUCH!!!

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, Spencer said:

It seems like it, but i expect they have had their fair share of dross as well, albeit it is cheaper for them when they make a mistake with a signing.

Just now, Escobar PHM said:

The fellah looks good actually. Scored again at the weekend. Hope that rumour is true.

Was it not his brother who scored? Was a cracker as well.

3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

From memory when Levein came in as DoF the stated policy was to sign young players, develop them, and sell them on.

Was it not to develop our OWN young players and sell them on?

At the moment our best young players are a year or two too young ideally 

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Was it not his brother who scored? Was a cracker as well.

Aye your right enough now Ive checked. ( saw the name Lee and assumed it was Olly) Sign the brother anaw then !!!

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Aye your right enough now Ive checked. ( saw the name Lee and assumed it was Olly) Sign the brother anaw then !!!

We can sign them both and have our very own Bobby & Jack Charlton.

Although, knowing us, we would end with Darren and Derek Young :sad3:

All about expectation, low expectations low pressure.  Let's look at Sammon, goes to a team like Patrick plays in with a bit of freedom knowing he will likely be starting most weeks regardless of how he plays, knocks in a few goals - his team are bottom of the league however lots of Hearts fans howling for him to be brought back in January. 

Main - good player for Motherwell, however if he joined Hearts he wouldn't be nearly as successful, fact.