• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peter_hmfc

• Sharpie

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Internet

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

OK bob, we heard you the first time. Personally I think these folk above are balloons. Trained to die, heard it. They're actually hiding behind Trump.

Fair comment. you guys are quite correct, it was a stupid under the circumstances mistimed comment, and I accept totally the statements saying so. It not  the first time I have  been told, your problem is you just don't know when to shut up. As you so rightly say I have made my point,.

If I may I would like to offer a perspective in a less provocative manner.

I have watched a couple of broadcasts about the Broward County Sherrifs Department.

On my first viewings of the Sherrif I was quite impressed with him and his frankness about one of his Deputies. In the last couple of days some new information is forthcoming. A figure of as high as forty complaints involving the shooter was received, Israel was asked about this and said he only knew of twenty five, I would have expected to hear that the forty was wrong, in the absence of that a reasonable explanation why he did not know about the others.  He also on another program explained that there was a program between the school and the Department that the school would handle minor pupil indiscretions and not involve the police.  He was asked about the cases where Cruz had brought knives and bullets to the school, he again stated he knew nothing about that. These were incident that could possibly have led to misdemeanor criminal charges, as such woulod have restricted Cruz from passing a firearms background check, Israel was not aware of these implying the school had not advised police.  I find this difficult to believe for a facility that had a full time liason there, that if not formally at least in discussion the Deputy on school duty would have heard about it.

This morning a neighbour of Cruz stated she had called the police on numerous occasions, one complaint she made stood out for me was that she knew or suspected that he was killing animals, she reported this to a Broward Deputy who if I heard it correctly stated nothing could be done at this time. Even in 1958, most policemen knew that a youngster killing animals was not a good sign, certainly in the 2017,18's we know fpor sure it was trait in many multiple murderers. I am surprised that no checks were made with any departments to invoke what I had in Scotland and Canada a Nental Health procedure that would allow a person to be detained for examination.

Sherrif Israel made comment stating that he did not know about a couple of things, having been responsible as the Chief Officer of a P.D. the one thing I knew for sure was I better know, and if I didn't I was in the brown stuff. There is lots of work to be done investigating the conduct of the police before and after the incident, to me and its not a conclusively proved decision but I get the feeling the Department was lax in areas, that trhe leadership as I ahve seen described was not amazing,and as happens attitude can filter down.

To be frank I have not changed my opinion about one deputy, I however will concede from what is coming out now that lack of attention to duty may not have been isolated to one man.

49 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I have watched a couple of broadcasts about the Broward County Sherrifs Department.

On my first viewings of the Sherrif I was quite impressed with him and his frankness about one of his Deputies. In the last couple of days some new information is forthcoming. A figure of as high as forty complaints involving the shooter was received, Israel was asked about this and said he only knew of twenty five, I would have expected to hear that the forty was wrong, in the absence of that a reasonable explanation why he did not know about the others.  He also on another program explained that there was a program between the school and the Department that the school would handle minor pupil indiscretions and not involve the police.  He was asked about the cases where Cruz had brought knives and bullets to the school, he again stated he knew nothing about that. These were incident that could possibly have led to misdemeanor criminal charges, as such woulod have restricted Cruz from passing a firearms background check, Israel was not aware of these implying the school had not advised police.  I find this difficult to believe for a facility that had a full time liason there, that if not formally at least in discussion the Deputy on school duty would have heard about it.

This morning a neighbour of Cruz stated she had called the police on numerous occasions, one complaint she made stood out for me was that she knew or suspected that he was killing animals, she reported this to a Broward Deputy who if I heard it correctly stated nothing could be done at this time. Even in 1958, most policemen knew that a youngster killing animals was not a good sign, certainly in the 2017,18's we know fpor sure it was trait in many multiple murderers. I am surprised that no checks were made with any departments to invoke what I had in Scotland and Canada a Nental Health procedure that would allow a person to be detained for examination.

Sherrif Israel made comment stating that he did not know about a couple of things, having been responsible as the Chief Officer of a P.D. the one thing I knew for sure was I better know, and if I didn't I was in the brown stuff. There is lots of work to be done investigating the conduct of the police before and after the incident, to me and its not a conclusively proved decision but I get the feeling the Department was lax in areas, that trhe leadership as I ahve seen described was not amazing,and as happens attitude can filter down.

To be frank I have not changed my opinion about one deputy, I however will concede from what is coming out now that lack of attention to duty may not have been isolated to one man.

All of the points you raise above may also help to explain the urgent need to deflect attention away from the Broward Police Department as a whole and Sheriff Israel in particular by pinning the blame solely on the Deputy on duty at the school at the time, and as you concede with the emergence of new information, he may not have been the only person at fault in this tragedy.

Sky News interviewed an ex-policeman from New York (well he was in NY, can't say for sure he was from NY) and he said that he'd listened to the internal police radio communications from that day, and in his opinion it is clear that there was a lot of confusion between the police officers present at the school as to the location of the shooter, and in his opinion this confusion undoubtedly contributed to the apparent lack of response on the part of the first police officers on the ground.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 18:19, John Findlay said:

I understand exactly what you are saying however, and I am sure you have experienced it over there in Canada. There has, how I put it. A slipping of standards right across society.

Never a truer word spoken. 

Watt-Zeefuik
On 2/27/2018 at 12:14, bobsharp said:

A thoughtful, informative, and well-considered post. Thanks, Bob.

The Internet

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/03/05/only-thoughts-and-prayers-will-stop-evil-behind-shootings-florida-state-senator-says/

Not even a satirical site. 

“But are we going to ban fertilizer, which is what they used in the Oklahoma bombing?” Stargel said. “Are we going to ban pressure cookers, which is what they used in the Boston massacre? Are we going to ban the multiple handguns that were used in other assaults? Are we going to ban the sawed-off shotgun as what was used in Columbine?” she asked.

:rofl:

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I've got news for her.  Thoughts and prayers aren't working.

I wonder if she's one of the Florida senators who have taken money from the NRA?

Watt-Zeefuik
54 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I've got news for her.  Thoughts and prayers aren't working.

I wonder if she's one of the Florida senators who have taken money from the NRA?

Guarantee she takes Marian Hammer's phone calls by the second ring.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/05/the-nra-lobbyist-behind-floridas-pro-gun-policies

Bindy Badgy

I didn't think it was possible for the NRA to look any more insane than they already did. Looks like I was wrong.

We have had enough of the lies, the sanctimony, the arrogance, the hatred, the pettiness, the fake news

So to every lying member of the media, to every Hollywood phony, to the role model athletes who use their free speech to alter and undermine what our flag represents.

To the politicians who would rather watch America burn than lose one ounce of their own personal power, to the late night posts that think their opinion is the only opinions that matter.

To the Joy-Ann Reids, the Morning Joes, the Mikas. To those who stain honest reporting with partisanship.

To those who bring bias and propaganda to CNN, The Washington Post and The New York Times… your time is running out. The clock starts now.

7 hours ago, Stokesy said:

I didn't think it was possible for the NRA to look any more insane than they already did. Looks like I was wrong.

It's not surprising.  The ones who shout the loudest about their "freedoms", are the ones who are the least tolerant of anyone who expresses an opinion that's different from their own.  And gun lovers are the most likely to use violence to suppress dissenting voices, or vent their own frustrations.

Fortunately, there have been very few instances of journalists being murdered in the USA (actually, I can't think of any), but with Trump's attacks on the media, his frequent whines about 'fake news' and 'witch hunts',  one wonders how long it will be before some nut-job takes down a journalist. 

Jambo-Jimbo
48 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's not surprising.  The ones who shout the loudest about their "freedoms", are the ones who are the least tolerant of anyone who expresses an opinion that's different from their own.  And gun lovers are the most likely to use violence to suppress dissenting voices, or vent their own frustrations.

Fortunately, there have been very few instances of journalists being murdered in the USA (actually, I can't think of any), but with Trump's attacks on the media, his frequent whines about 'fake news' and 'witch hunts',  one wonders how long it will be before some nut-job takes down a journalist. 

Was there not that lassie who was gunned down during a live breakfast show broadcast last year by an ex-employee of the station?

But I agree with you it's only a matter of time before a CNN, Washington Post or New York Times reporter gets shot at by some crazy thinking that because Trump & the NRA have singled them out and vilified them, that they are doing a service to their President or Country by shooting them, it doesn't take much for some nutters to pull the trigger.

33 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was there not that lassie who was gunned down during a live breakfast show broadcast last year by an ex-employee of the station?

But I agree with you it's only a matter of time before a CNN, Washington Post or New York Times reporter gets shot at by some crazy thinking that because Trump & the NRA have singled them out and vilified them, that they are doing a service to their President or Country by shooting them, it doesn't take much for some nutters to pull the trigger.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/22/us/michigan-man-arrested-cnn-threats/index.html

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

And how does this not shock me.

You see Trump doesn't quite realise, well I hope he doesn't, that his words matter, when he goes off on one of his twitter rants there is some crazy out there who takes what he says literary and as I said see themselves as helping the President in his crusade against the perceived 'fake news' media.

Watt-Zeefuik

On a similar note...

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/report-sutherland-springs-shooting-conspiracy-theorists-arrested-at-church

This is one reason why I have such a hard time ignoring the Sandy Hook denialists and the other conspiracy theorists on this site. They're not just kooky (some of them most definitely are, of course) or misguided. They can be actually dangerous, the nonsense like this that gets spread is what leads people like Dylann Roof to go shoot up churches. It's not just that it's factually ridiculous and spread by sycophants to power (it is), it's also fundamentally undermines decency and ultimately feeds on itself.

The law suits are starting in Florida, understandable in a way, some of these kids have suffered injuries that will require them to have treatment and care for the rest of their lives.  Many are being held responsible it is alleged the FBI failed to carry out protocol. The sherrifs department failed to act on information. The school principal was negligent, the resource officer, an armed Deputy was negligent, and failed to act at the moment of need. So much tragedy, lives lost, young people severely injured,  decisions made in seconds that will have a lifelong affect, worse than any outside criticism sitting considering yourself," what if",  so fast your life can change,  I am sure no one involved ever saw this evolve, all the life plans gone. So sad.

Jambo-Jimbo
20 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

The law suits are starting in Florida, understandable in a way, some of these kids have suffered injuries that will require them to have treatment and care for the rest of their lives.  Many are being held responsible it is alleged the FBI failed to carry out protocol. The sherrifs department failed to act on information. The school principal was negligent, the resource officer, an armed Deputy was negligent, and failed to act at the moment of need. So much tragedy, lives lost, young people severely injured,  decisions made in seconds that will have a lifelong affect, worse than any outside criticism sitting considering yourself," what if",  so fast your life can change,  I am sure no one involved ever saw this evolve, all the life plans gone. So sad.

And tomorrow or the day after or next week next month another community somewhere else in the USA will have to cope and deal with pretty much the same senseless waste of life, the same what if's, the same sense of utter hopelessness and the same question's of why?  Why has this happened, again.

The Internet

1 student died yesterday when a 17 year old brought a gun to school to impress a girl and accidentally shot her and himself. 

15 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And tomorrow or the day after or next week next month another community somewhere else in the USA will have to cope and deal with pretty much the same senseless waste of life, the same what if's, the same sense of utter hopelessness and the same question's of why?  Why has this happened, again.

No need for concern, J-J, the politicians will send along their thoughts and prayers, so everything's cool.  It's not guns that kill people, dontcha know?

The first investigative results of police conduct will be out early next week. The brief reports do not look too good for a number of people. Will be interested to see the full reports.

Have read your posts Niblik, I am sure you will correct me if I am reading them wrong but I seem to understand that possibly you are not commenting on the Sandy Hook comment particularly but the comment referring to conspiracy theorists, a subject you have been prominent in in the past.  My only an opinion which you so clearly state we all have a right to make is that you have possibly enjoyed sampling this evening alcohol spirits and are reading more into a post than was meant, and that you have not explained yourself too well, probably and understandably as a result of the pre stated alcohol consumption.

J.T.F.Robertson
14 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Have read your posts Niblik, I am sure you will correct me if I am reading them wrong but I seem to understand that possibly you are not commenting on the Sandy Hook comment particularly but the comment referring to conspiracy theorists, a subject you have been prominent in in the past.  My only an opinion which you so clearly state we all have a right to make is that you have possibly enjoyed sampling this evening alcohol spirits and are reading more into a post than was meant, and that you have not explained yourself too well, probably and understandably as a result of the pre stated alcohol consumption.

It's all way over your heid, Bob. That gift is only for the select few. :(

55 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

Here you go peter,. Just for you. You can try reading them again and maybe you will get it the second time round.

I would but since you're coming across as an angry-wee-man with a shitload of petulance to spend... I'll pass.

Carry on being offended at nothing if that keeps you happy though.

Jambo-Jimbo
18 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43352078

the nra are suing florida due to their changes to gun laws

Yeh, heard about this on the news this morning, kinda says everything about the NRA doesn't it.

Here we have a state who is at least trying to bring in a sensible law which may help keep it's citizens including children just that little bit safer, and the NRA are going to go to court to try and get it stopped.

It's not as if Florida is trying to ban guns outright, as my understanding is that they only want to increase the minimum age and that folks would have to wait 3 days before they can get the gun. 

What's the big deal about that?

The way I see it, If you can't purchase alcohol until your 21 then the same should apply to purchasing a gun.

6 hours ago, niblick1874 said:

Can you explain what is nasty about his post as I just can't see anything. He says that the conspiracy nuts that deny mass shootings happened can be dangerous. Not sure how any sane person could argue with that

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Can you explain what is nasty about his post as I just can't see anything. He says that the conspiracy nuts that deny mass shootings happened can be dangerous. Not sure how any sane person could argue with that

Bingo.

Well just watched an item on CNN about the investigation. From the minimal facts given I would suggest that Deputy Peterson is going to be the main target. His lawyer made a statement that Peterson beleived the shooting was happening outside, however taped evidence of his radio calls apparently indicates something different in that he says in the school. It seems there was  brief confrontation between Crystal Springs PD members and Broward members about no one having entered the school, the Crystal Spring members went in the first to do so eleven minutes after the start of the incident.Some Broward members were on an adjacent road stopping traffic and creating a perimeter five hundred feet away.

I have been critical of Deputy Peterson, still am, but conversely I am really sorry for him. How many times in life do we make a prompt decision, it turns out bad, and we say I wish I had not done that. This man is going quite possibly to receive and live with the thought and criticism that if he had acted differently he may, no guarantees that he would, but he may have saved a life or lives.    Probably the hardest judgement he will get will be that, that comes from himself. I won't go into an  in my day rant, but I know myself well enough to know that I neither have a James Bond syndrome, or necessarily think of myself as a hard man, but I can think of no greater judgement for me than to lose my own self respect, disappoint my family. friends and colleagues, be told if I had acted differently some things may have changed in a positive manner.

I read one Florida paper where the mother of one of the dead children referred to Peterson with the same term I did, and many others commenting without using the word but intimating similar feelings. Many have to answer but as is the way there is usually one fall guy chosen, and I know who I think it will be.

The White Cockade

Hopefully the NRA have gone to far this time and people start to see them for what they are

How can anyone think the rights of 18 year olds to own guns is more important than the

shooting and killing of innocent school children

I can't get my head round it

Bindy Badgy
9 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Hopefully the NRA have gone to far this time and people start to see them for what they are

How can anyone think the rights of 18 year olds to own guns is more important than the

shooting and killing of innocent school children

I can't get my head round it

The people that support the NRA will come up with some mental trick to convince themselves that they're safer the way things are. Logic doesn't come into it.

Watt-Zeefuik

Since nibs was feeling attacked I'll be clear that I was in particular referencing a prior incident where I got so angry at one Sandy Hook denialist (who was not him) that I got myself (justifiably) banned for a week. Not going back into that again but that's the main thrust.

I very clearly linked to an incident. A minister who watched his congregation get shot up, including watching his daughter die in front of him, has conspiracy nuts and shooting denialists show up and yell at him in his face to prove that his daughter ever existed. If you can't see that that's horribly evil and abusive I don't know what to tell you.

I've made my points about nibs in the past -- whether he realizes it or not he parrots white supremacist and anti-Semitic language. I give him the benefit of the doubt by thinking he's just thick instead of being evil.

On 04/03/2018 at 12:25, AlphonseCapone said:

Back in my day :facepalm:

I just watched the video of Deputy Petersons actions during the shooting at the school.  The film was followed by the opinions of a retired senior NYPD officer. As stated he is retired so his comments are of the in my day type.  He states at one point after watching Peterson and other Deputies actions that he has never seen so many police officers at one incident showing such what seems to be  cowardly behaviour. He does say that there may be some good reason for the Broward Deputies not to go in, but is shocked at the sight of Deputy Peterson standing beside a wall around the corner from the building where he well knew shots were being fired, he also found it unusual that at no time especially under the circumstances did Deputy Peterson ever have his firearm in his hand. It is also to him somewhat questionable that Peterson advised everyone to stay 500 feet away from the scene. It was left to other officers from another department to go into the school, but sadly too late as the dead were already gone and the suspect also escaped.

This respondent as I, feels that Peterson  should have gone in to help, he does say that as police officers we have many protocols some we ignore, but in this case a shooting at a school the protocol is to go in and save or protect the children, and this is one that should never be ignored.

My comments now are not in my day, but today, I have had two kids, I have four grandchildren, and have one great grandchild, I would expect any police officer to do what he is mandated to do to save these kids if they were in any danger, even at the risk of his own safety, and I can say quite honestlyif I saw a child in danger today I would do what I had to to protect or save them.  But then I am an old ,man and have lived my life had my experiences, and time wise less to lose, but I would be extremely angry if someone failed to do their duty for any of my kids,  and would die of shame if I failed to do anything for someone elses kids. yous see thats how it was in my day.

Another shooting reported at a high school in Maryland. No further details as yet.

Beginning to think we should just sticky this thread.

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Another shooting reported at a high school in Maryland. No further details as yet.

Beginning to think we should just sticky this thread.

No need to sticky it. I don't think it will ever wander very far from the front page.

Sheriff just on CNN, shooter went into school shot a girl, school resource officer,  responded shot shooter, two people in hospital. No fatalities reported, school contained and being evacuated. Another unfortunate incident, but injuries minimised by prompt action it would seem.

Sheriff on giving an update, one girl critically injured, one boy out of danger, shooter died as a reult of school resource officer firing one shot, whilst being shot at. Sheriff states the Department protocols, training were followed bringing this to a quick conclusion.

panels now discussing the SRO, an armed Deputy's reaction.  When advised of the shooting he immediately went to the scene, as per protocol he confronted the shooter, and firing one shot took him out, the shooter also fired one shot at the Deputy which missed.  The panel are praising the conduct of the Deputy, praising the fact that under the circumstances he only needed one shot to terminate the action and this reflects on his training.  There were comments on how his action prompt, and effective may have saved more lives being lost.  I would be remiss if I did not mention that they commented quite strongly on another Deputy in another case who stayed around a corner from the incident and many lives were lost.

Just proves that one who is well trained understands his mandate, and believes in what he is doing does not have to be a hard man, have visions of heroism, just does what he has to do, which is protect those who are not in a position to protect themselves. Its really not to difficult toi understand.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Only two innocent kids gunned down in this case. 

:locke:

They’ll probably now claim to be winning the war against gun violence.

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

I saw this mentioned on the news this morning whilst watching some coverage of the demonstrations, one teacher a woman had been rightly praised for her actions at an incident when she escorted her students to a large cupboard where they were successfully hidden. This seemed a reasonable tactic.  I find it hard to use a second option of having the students take a stand against a firearm while arming themselves with rocks. It sort of gets you to thinking there should be a new saying, "never bring a rock to a gunfight".