Another Mass Shooting in America

milky_26

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Again the first reponding police officers, are commended for their bravery in carrying out the rescue of some who were in danger, swat team members wounded whilst taking down the shooter who was also wounded. At one point one of the reporters on the station commented on the police officers who immediately reacted and proceeded to the sound of the gunfire. Contrary to some this is what I feel I should be reading about police officers and not that they hid around a corner or in a locked car. Eleven people dead, fortunately no children, but there just seems to be no end to it. The guy has an assault weapon and numerous handguns. One expert explained the effect of a round from the assault weapon. On first strike it creates a dent in the body it then starts to tumble breaks through the skin, and proceeds to rip muscle, damage organs, break bone and usually emerge through the other side. The treatment is major everything has to be treated and the stress on medical staff is intense as other victims arrive. All because some sick person can obtain these weapons and proceed to inflict his hate on innocent victims, yet people like the NRA and politicians for their own reasons refuse to engage in discussion  about how to reduce the availability. So sad.

I’m not getting involved in argument on here but I feel your pain,your are one of the good guys.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peter_hmfc

• Sharpie

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Internet

Again the first reponding police officers, are commended for their bravery in carrying out the rescue of some who were in danger, swat team members wounded whilst taking down the shooter who was also wounded. At one point one of the reporters on the station commented on the police officers who immediately reacted and proceeded to the sound of the gunfire. Contrary to some this is what I feel I should be reading about police officers and not that they hid around a corner or in a locked car. Eleven people dead, fortunately no children, but there just seems to be no end to it. The guy has an assault weapon and numerous handguns. One expert explained the effect of a round from the assault weapon. On first strike it creates a dent in the body it then starts to tumble breaks through the skin, and proceeds to rip muscle, damage organs, break bone and usually emerge through the other side. The treatment is major everything has to be treated and the stress on medical staff is intense as other victims arrive. All because some sick person can obtain these weapons and proceed to inflict his hate on innocent victims, yet people like the NRA and politicians for their own reasons refuse to engage in discussion  about how to reduce the availability. So sad.

And I'd hazzard a guess that money will play a very large part in all of this.

alwaysthereinspirit
5 hours ago, Cade said:

Strange that white shooters get taken into custody but black and muslim shooters get riddled with bullets at the scene.

Yeah ok. 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 minute ago, bobsharp said:

I believe the shooter was actuually shot a number of times and was also being treated for his wounds.

We'd have to determine what constitutes riddled.

You know better than most. No police action for any kind of mass shooting is determined by the skin color of the shooter. Especially as most times you would have no idea when pulling up to the scene who or what you're up against.

23 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

We'd have to determine what constitutes riddled.

You know better than most. No police action for any kind of mass shooting is determined by the skin color of the shooter. Especially as most times you would have no idea when pulling up to the scene who or what you're up against.

I would suggest never fortunately having had to do it that on attendance at a sc ene if you saw an individual shooting an automatic weapon at unarmed victims your first instinct would be to open fire and repeat shots until he was for sure overcome, then it would make no real difference to me what colour he was, I would still be more  concerned if he was moving or still, a danger or in fact tranquilised. If there was insufficient evidence on arrival to establish what was happening but an individual was in possession of a firearm and failed to obey commands to drop the firearm shooting him  under the circumstances would be justified. I doubt the day will come when the attending officers will give the warning if you are black or brown you will be riddled, or its o.k whitey I am only going to shoot you once. As I say I have not had the experience but I suspect if I were I would keep shooting as often as was required to ensure primarily my safety, and then the safety of others. That is not a selfish attitude, but a dead or wounded saviour is no good to anyone.

I will say that my memory of training was that the procedure if your weapon was to be used was to aim at body mass to achieve maximum effect.

Edited by bobsharp

6 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Do you have any evidence of this ? 

This doesn't directly relate to shooters, but it shows police bias in whom gets arrested and whom gets shot:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0141854

A geographically-resolved, multi-level Bayesian model is used to analyze the data presented in the U.S. Police-Shooting Database (USPSD) in order to investigate the extent of racial bias in the shooting of American civilians by police officers in recent years. In contrast to previous work that relied on the FBI’s Supplemental Homicide Reports that were constructed from self-reported cases of police-involved homicide, this data set is less likely to be biased by police reporting practices. County-specific relative risk outcomes of being shot by police are estimated as a function of the interaction of: 1) whether suspects/civilians were armed or unarmed, and 2) the race/ethnicity of the suspects/civilians. The results provide evidence of a significant bias in the killing of unarmed black Americans relative to unarmed white Americans, in that the probability of being {black, unarmed, and shot by police} is about 3.49 times the probability of being {white, unarmed, and shot by police} on average. Furthermore, the results of multi-level modeling show that there exists significant heterogeneity across counties in the extent of racial bias in police shootings, with some counties showing relative risk ratios of 20 to 1 or more. Finally, analysis of police shooting data as a function of county-level predictors suggests that racial bias in police shootings is most likely to emerge in police departments in larger metropolitan counties with low median incomes and a sizable portion of black residents, especially when there is high financial inequality in that county. There is no relationship between county-level racial bias in police shootings and crime rates (even race-specific crime rates), meaning that the racial bias observed in police shootings in this data set is not explainable as a response to local-level crime rates.

Eleven victims named, ages from fifty six to ninety seven. One victim was a Holocaust survivor, one couple husband and wife in their eighties, all have had long lives, but it is so sad that their final day on this earth should be decided by some ******* non achiever, who armed to the teeth had the courage to go into a place of worship and slaughter them. In some ways I am glad he did not die at the hands of the police, he will have a long time to live with his fate in the balance, some of the crimes are death penalty sentence crimes, if there is justice some day he will be strapped up, taken to a place of execution and know he is going to die, I hope he sits in a cell for a reasonable time to enjoy looking forward to the day of his death for commiting a crime that done nothing for him or anyone else.

On 27/10/2018 at 18:52, Barack said:

Mr Trump added that the incident had "little to do" with US gun laws. "If they had protection inside, maybe it could have been a different situation," he said.

Rambo the Rabbi, perhaps?

Edited by Ray Gin

Is Trump that far off on this one?

Most urban synagogues / schools have armed guards in Europe - a place where it isn't easy for your average yahoo to get a gun. Seeing as there is no magic proposal or even solution to get rid of guns stateside, is this really in the same ball park as the arm the teachers brainfart?

3 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Is Trump that far off on this one?

Most urban synagogues / schools have armed guards in Europe - a place where it isn't easy for your average yahoo to get a gun. Seeing as there is no magic proposal or even solution to get rid of guns stateside, is this really in the same ball park as the arm the teachers brainfart?

In what countries bar Israel?

1 hour ago, peter_hmfc said:

In what countries bar Israel?

I should have said have had but even that might be an overstep in regards to the majority of Euro cities.

Anyway, all UK Jewish schools and synagogues have guards (not armed) paid for by UK gov I believe. And off the top of my head, most French synagogues are all guarded and had armed army soldiers during state of emergency 2015-17. Copenhagen and  German cities often have armed guards at least during Al Quds marches or when it kicks off in Gaza.

Anyway, Jews as always are the canaries in the coalmine. 

1 minute ago, Mark M said:

I should have said have had but even that might be an overstep in regards to the majority of Euro cities.

Anyway, all UK Jewish schools and synagogues have guards (not armed) paid for by UK gov I believe. And off the top of my head, most French synagogues are all guarded and had armed army soldiers during state of emergency 2015-17. Copenhagen and  German cities often have armed guards at least during Al Quds marches or when it kicks off in Gaza.

Anyway, Jews as always are the canaries in the coalmine. 

You defeated your own points as you went along.

UK synagogues have guards (not armed).

France had them (during a state of emergency).

German and Danish ones do (during specific hostile times).

If everyday USA is similar to France during that period then **** me it's even more of a shitehole than I first thought.

Arming teachers though takes that to a new level.

4 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

One student dead in shooting at Butler High School in North Carolina, suspect apprehended.

Read about this earlier and the school re opened and lessons resumed the same day. It’s all part of a normal day now.

21 minutes ago, Helzibob said:

Read about this earlier and the school re opened and lessons resumed the same day. It’s all part of a normal day now.

In a couple of years time it probably won't even make the news anymore.

8 hours ago, Helzibob said:

Unfortunately this kind of thing has been fairly normal for a while. One kid getting shot isn't news anymore.

Also, shots fired into a GOP campaign office in Florida. It should go without saying that this is horrible and should never happen, but it's not getting said enough these days, so I'll say it here.

alwaysthereinspirit
On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:06, bobsharp said:

Eleven victims named, ages from fifty six to ninety seven. One victim was a Holocaust survivor, one couple husband and wife in their eighties, all have had long lives, but it is so sad that their final day on this earth should be decided by some ******* non achiever, who armed to the teeth had the courage to go into a place of worship and slaughter them. In some ways I am glad he did not die at the hands of the police, he will have a long time to live with his fate in the balance, some of the crimes are death penalty sentence crimes, if there is justice some day he will be strapped up, taken to a place of execution and know he is going to die, I hope he sits in a cell for a reasonable time to enjoy looking forward to the day of his death for commiting a crime that done nothing for him or anyone else.

Our Rabbi just invited us to a meet and greet at the Temple next week. There will be a guest speaker. A Holocaust survivor.

Just spoke to him and found out his teenage son was in Pittsburg over the weekend at another Temple. Our Temple is Chabad so communication for them Saturday was tough. Never really got into how or when they found out about the shooting.

Anti -Semitism has and will always be there. Hopefully its only "just" words from ignorant people and not deeds like Saturday. My 21 year old daughter was 12 when I/we had our first run in with Anti-Semitism. Three girls at school threw pennies at her feet yelling "throw a penny at the Jew" to see if my daughter would pick them up. Seeing as all Jews are penny pinching , money grabbing thieves. 12 year old girls. Unfortunately that is something picked up at home. My wife was at college when she had her first Jewish ignorant moment. Girls asked to see her horns as they were under the impression Jews were somehow related to the devil. What kind of upbringing has 18/19 year old girls believing that.

As you say hopefully he's punished to the full extent of the law but at the end of the day it wont change things much.

I told the Rabbi this morning just to remember that there's more good than evil in the world.

Did anyone watch the South Park episode with the school shootings? Difficult subject but they were absolutely spot on. Everyone just see's it as an everyday thing over there and they only really get upset if it's a relative or a family friend who get caught up in it.

40 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Our Rabbi just invited us to a meet and greet at the Temple next week. There will be a guest speaker. A Holocaust survivor.

Just spoke to him and found out his teenage son was in Pittsburg over the weekend at another Temple. Our Temple is Chabad so communication for them Saturday was tough. Never really got into how or when they found out about the shooting.

Anti -Semitism has and will always be there. Hopefully its only "just" words from ignorant people and not deeds like Saturday. My 21 year old daughter was 12 when I/we had our first run in with Anti-Semitism. Three girls at school threw pennies at her feet yelling "throw a penny at the Jew" to see if my daughter would pick them up. Seeing as all Jews are penny pinching , money grabbing thieves. 12 year old girls. Unfortunately that is something picked up at home. My wife was at college when she had her first Jewish ignorant moment. Girls asked to see her horns as they were under the impression Jews were somehow related to the devil. What kind of upbringing has 18/19 year old girls believing that.

As you say hopefully he's punished to the full extent of the law but at the end of the day it wont change things much.

I told the Rabbi this morning just to remember that there's more good than evil in the world.

Listening to the fake news and other stations, there seems to be almost total agreement that words matter. Of course as has been described all presidents hold the largest megaphone so their words are heard more than and acted on more that anyone elses.  Trump has never been critical or vociferous against the Jewish people on the contrary he has been supportive of Israel, and has direct Jewish family ties. He has however used his megaphone to spout his rhetoric against illegal immigrants, Muslims and other races and religions. To be honest a lot of his rhetoric is similar and his delivery exactly the same as other more infamous politicians in the past. His successes are also similar. One of the worlds most notorious dictators spiked a failed economy, one of his greatest achievements was the Autobahn, but like his promises they were not for the people they were for his own ambition for world domination. The economy was boosted by his cures which were actually infrastructure and false profits in preparing for war. The autobahn primarily for the transportation of war supplies, and the factories for weapons and war materiels, the actions against the Jews gave the public a hated enemy to unite against, this seems to be a necessity for total loyalty and belief, sadly I think the citizens of the USA at least some are being hoodwinked the same way.

I was raised a block from the large Edinburgh synagogue, had jewish neighbours, and played football with a good footballer named Jackie Cowan from Lutton Place, who couldn't play with our teams because of the Sabbath, even as a boy I was not sure how there could have been so much hate directed at the jews. Hate is a word I hate, my fear is that it is being engendered by a failed human being who whether knowingly or not is following with his beliefs in the tracks of some of the worst despots in history.

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

We have our disagreements on here to say the least, but my heart goes out to you and all of yours this weekend. The Jewish folks I'm close to have been really rattled the past two days. I can't know what it's like but I'm very sorry you have to deal with the low-level terror that must come with this.

I P Knightley

Trump has never been critical or vociferous against the Jewish people on the contrary he has been supportive of Israel, and has direct Jewish family ties.

This is true, Bob, but his swivel-eyed rhetoric (from his exalted platform) is giving permission to others to lash out at whatever objects of "hate" (or fear) they have in their sights.

Given the hardness of thinking among people who listen to his pish, it's not a giant leap for his ill-informed ranting about Muslims or foreigners in general to translate into anti-semitism.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

We have our disagreements on here to say the least, but my heart goes out to you and all of yours this weekend. The Jewish folks I'm close to have been really rattled the past two days. I can't know what it's like but I'm very sorry you have to deal with the low-level terror that must come with this.

Not a problem. People tend to disagree with other people on a daily basis and then get on with everyday life. Life doesn’t stop. Thank God. Busy is good. As I wrote in the post there are way way more good people in this world than evil.

I’ve helped many strangers in my life. Even just helping someone stuck up here in winter in a snow bank should come as a first thought to any decent person. Can’t imagine seeing a black, Hispanic or Asian and thinking no not today. Or a white person and my first thought being I wonder what political party they support.

Not how I was brought up.

My grandfather refused to go to my parents wedding because my Mother was Catholic. A sad bitter man.

My parents were never going to let that bigotry live in their house.

American Jews will be fine. My kids will be fine. They’re half Scottish.

My little Proddyjews are tough.

Stay safe.

1 minute ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Not a problem. People tend to disagree with other people on a daily basis and then get on with everyday life. Life doesn’t stop. Thank God. Busy is good. As I wrote in the post there are way way more good people in this world than evil.

I’ve helped many strangers in my life. Even just helping someone stuck up here in winter in a snow bank should come as a first thought to any decent person. Can’t imagine seeing a black, Hispanic or Asian and thinking no not today. Or a white person and my first thought being I wonder what political party they support.

Not how I was brought up.

My grandfather refused to go to my parents wedding because my Mother was Catholic. A sad bitter man.

My parents were never going to let that bigotry live in their house.

American Jews will be fine. My kids will be fine. They’re half Scottish.

My little Proddyjews are tough.

Stay safe.

I very much hope you're right. Be well.

Then let us pray that come what may that come what may for aw that. That man to man the world o'er shall brothers be for aw that. For aw that and aw that and aw that. That man to man the world o'er shall brothers be for aw that.

Robert Burns.

Several dead and dozens injured at a shooting during a packed country&western club night in California.

Security guard on the door was first to get shot.

17 minutes ago, Cade said:

Several dead and dozens injured at a shooting during a packed country&western club night in California.

Security guard on the door was first to get shot.

But wasn't having armed guards going to stop this sort of thing from happening, what was it Trump said, oh yeh "More good guys with guns".

The whole world could see it wasn't the answer, but America thought differently and now 11 more people are dead because America won't do anything about it's love affair with guns.

But it's ok, in a short while the POTUS will be sending his thoughts and prayers to the victims families, so that'll make everything alright.

That's the thing. Locate the guard in the building and hit him on the sly and you have the whole building to aim at for a good few minutes before the cops show up.

It doesn't help anything

If you like I were unfortunate enough to watch Trumps press conference yesterday, although not the sole problem his anger and hostility towards particularly Jim Acusta was an example of a man unable to control his emotions. His allowing or indeed encouraging a young lady to get involved physically by removing forcibly the mike from the reporter was all some nut needs to be motivated to violence. I am not suggesting that Trump conciously tells people violence is o.k. but when the President of  the United States says that a man who body slams a reporter, is his kind of man, who mimics his own pugilistic abilities when talking about protestors at rallies, it is not difficult for one who has dealt with and studied people for many years of his life to understand and opine that the Presidents rhetoric is dangerous, and motivating to those believing in violence. His lack of real feeling and  sympathy for those receiving pipe bombs, because they were all critics is really not a deterrent to those reacting to perceived grievance either.

Last 15 days in America:

Kentucky - Armed white man tries to enter black church, fails, then travels to Kroger supermarket and kills 2 black people.

Pittsburgh - After posting anti-semitic ramblings online, a man enters a Squirrel Hill synagogue and kills 11, injuring 6.

Tallahassee - After posting anti-female ramblings, a man shoots up a yoga studio, killing 2, injuring 4.

Thousand Oaks - 12 killed, various injured in bar shooting.

6 of the top 30 deadliest mass-shootings have happened in the last 13 months.

Edited by peter_hmfc

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

That's the thing. Locate the guard in the building and hit him on the sly and you have the whole building to aim at for a good few minutes before the cops show up.

It doesn't help anything

Kill an armed guard first and you get yourself more weapons and more ammo with which to kill even more people.

Just watched the Sheriff give a press conference he was as comprehensive as I have seen. He seemed to indictae the first targets were in fact the bar security, not stated if they were armed or not, he then proceeded to shoot customers. The sergeant who was killed and another officer entered the bar and confronted the suspect a gunfight ensued in which the sergeant was shot numerous times and died. The suspect a 29 year old former marine who has had some dealings with the police, went into an office where he was found dead not known if self inflicted or not.

The sheriff pointed out that the two officers went by the national protocol since the Columbine shooting of going into the scene rather than waiting for cover. He couldn't help smile when he said there were six off duty officers in the bar as customers when all the shooting occurred, they were unarmed, they however were c redited with forming a human shield and protecting other young people.

He did relate having gone to the local synagogue after the Pittsburgh shooting to express his sympathies, some of the conversation there was where was all the hate of today is coming from. Hmmm, I wonder.

Once again police who carried out their duty by protecting the public and facing the suspect saved many lives, and in one case sacrificed his own.

White veteran soldier.

Going by the massacre formula, this means he was a victim of mental health issues and not a terrorist nor a criminal.

And this is not a gun control issue but a mental health one.

As you were. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

21 minutes ago, Cade said:

Kill an armed guard first and you get yourself more weapons and more ammo with which to kill even more people.

*Aaron Alexis likes this*

14 minutes ago, Cade said:

White veteran soldier.

Going by the massacre formula, this means he was a victim of mental health issues and not a terrorist nor a criminal.

And this is not a gun control issue but a mental health one.

As you were. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

BBC article states he did indeed have mental health issues. A surprising turn of events. 

35 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

BBC article states he did indeed have mental health issues. A surprising turn of events. 

From the sheriffs conference, police had attended his house more than once. On one occasion he was acting irrationally, and the deputies aware that he was a five year Marine veteran considered the possibility of PTSD. They called their crisis and mental health specialists and it was deemed that his mental health was not sufficiently diminished for him to be taken in for treatment. One of his other incidents also involved a bar, so possibly some history there.

The sergeant who was killed a twenty nine year veteran was on the phone to his wife when he got the call, he tol;d her he had to go  as he had a call, she will never see him alive again and that was her last ever  conversation, she is not alone, a lot of people will be having a sad day and future, I don't know sometimes I think we read these articles and that is what you think you are dealing with, then your mind clicks and you realise they are not just characters in a newspaper item, they are all real people with real relatives who are suffering an unimaginable grief.

307th mass-shooting of the year.

18th mass-murder with guns this year.

An average of one mass-murder with guns every 17 days.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, peter_hmfc said:

307th mass-shooting of the year.

18th mass-murder with guns this year.

An average of one mass-murder with guns every 17 days.

I mean, what’s the point? We all vent about this but any country which has that many incidents but blunders on regardless is doomed. It’s completely out of order that the twats who refuse to see the light are allowed to affect everyone else but someone said earlier on this thread that the media will soon stop reporting these incidents - they might as well because it makes no difference.

5 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I mean, what’s the point? We all vent about this but any country which has that many incidents but blunders on regardless is doomed. It’s completely out of order that the twats who refuse to see the light are allowed to affect everyone else but someone said earlier on this thread that the media will soon stop reporting these incidents - they might as well because it makes no difference.

A 115lb, 6ft 20 year old finding weaponry to kill 26 people in an elementary school did nothing.

A 64 year old picking off 58 people and causing the injury to 800+ from the other side of the Vegas strip did nothing.

The worst high school shooting in US history (the 2nd worst school shooting) did nothing.

12 dead in a bar is mild in comparison, so nothing will be done and in a few days it'll all be passed over. I'll be interested to see what the motive is though (if they find one, which they failed to do for Las Vegas, Sutherland Springs and Parkland).

Edited by peter_hmfc

Watched a 22 year olds father on TV. The poor man was in tears and of course shocked. The kid sounded like a good young man. Umpire in his friends baseball league, was in the final stages of recruitment into the army. His dad said his last words to the boy when he was going out was don't drink and drive and I love you. He is gone no army, no baseball,no more I love yous,  won't be there for his sisters impending visit.  For many years I wondered how people handled losing a child, I unfortunately found out, no matter how old they are , what they do, they are still just your child, I admit when I listened to that poor broken hearted father, I had to wipe a tear from my eye, he is in for hell.

I've always thought the irony on this subject is incredible. Loosely translated the 2nd Amendment allows the population to protect itself against a corrupt government. However, the 2nd Amendment does nothing to protect the population from itself - or at least the slightly more 'emotionally interesting' members of it. 

Edited by trotter

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, bobsharp said:

Watched a 22 year olds father on TV. The poor man was in tears and of course shocked. The kid sounded like a good young man. Umpire in his friends baseball league, was in the final stages of recruitment into the army. His dad said his last words to the boy when he was going out was don't drink and drive and I love you. He is gone no army, no baseball,no more I love yous,  won't be there for his sisters impending visit.  For many years I wondered how people handled losing a child, I unfortunately found out, no matter how old they are , what they do, they are still just your child, I admit when I listened to that poor broken hearted father, I had to wipe a tear from my eye, he is in for hell.

Absolutely brutal.

Can only imagine how the father feels.