Jamie Walker joins Wigan (updated)

Beats

9 hours ago, luckydug said:

Why is it taking all weekend to complete a medical ?

I hope this deal is not going to fall through because of his injuries .

STV news just said EXPECTED to sign on Monday after a medical.

I hope he is not staying in Wigan until Monday otherwise he will change his mind about signing on Monday.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Spencer

• It should have been ten

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Diadora Van Basten
34 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

The guy has a long history of injury problems that only seem to have gone away in the last 6 months or so. His contract is up at the end of the season and I can’t see a clamour of clubs going after him. So I’d say £300,000 is excessive just in the hope he improves us for less than half a season.

Jamie Walker has started 17 games this season and to not use the money we receive to replace him will weaken the squad.

We also lack creative players so signing a similar type of player is important.

The last couple of seasons we have had bad January transfer window and if we try to replace Walker with a free or loan signing we run the risk of signing a player who is either unfit or not bothered.

In my opinion Temps ticks all the boxes for the type of player we need and it would be a mistake to wait until the Summer to get him.

scott herbertson
48 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think I have explained why I think it’s worth it, perhaps you could explain why you feel it’s not rather than getting personal.

When he was with us he scored scored one spectacular goal (against Hibs) but after that he seemed to get ‘found out’ as he always cut inside and was quite predictable.

looking at his form this year he does seem to have matured and improved but he has had injuries throughout his career , so I wouldn’t be wanting to pay muc( for him unless it was in the form of staggered payments based on no of games played.

If we get £300k for Walker and then went and spunked it all on Templeton I'd be absolutely ****ing mortified !!

Nothing against the lad, I've always liked him, but I think a few people are getting completely carried away over a few good performances.

10 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Celtic pay £50-£75k for ten year olds!

We turnover about £10 million a year so how is spending £300k on a player to improve us for the second half of the season crazy?

We have written off the second half of the season two years in a row following poor transfer windows so why make the same mistake again.

Give up mate, bidding £300k on a 28 year old with longstanding injury problems is not going to happen, especially one who is available on a free in 6 months. Also I’m sure a wee club like Hamilton would accept a third of that amount. 

9 minutes ago, dumpson said:

If we get £300k for Walker and then went and spunked it all on Templeton I'd be absolutely ****ing mortified !!

Nothing against the lad, I've always liked him, but I think a few people are getting completely carried away over a few good performances.

This

Diadora Van Basten
3 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Give up mate, bidding £300k on a 28 year old with longstanding injury problems is not going to happen, especially one who is available on a free in 6 months. Also I’m sure a wee club like Hamilton would accept a third of that amount. 

Agreed that I won’t change people’s mind but I do want to reply to some of the negatives.

1. £300k is not a lot of money to spend in the transfer market.

2. Temps is fit and has started 19 matches this season. When you sign any player you take a risk that’s why you do a medical. I remember Hearts we’re going to sign John Brown from Dundee and didn’t because he failed a medical. This proved to be a mistake as he signed for Rangers and played every match.

3. If Hamilton would accept less then great but I doubt they will.

Hungry hippo
Just now, Diadora Van Basten said:

Agreed that I won’t change people’s mind but I do want to reply to some of the negatives.

2. Temps is fit and has started 19 matches this season. When you sign any player you take a risk that’s why you do a medical. I remember Hearts we’re going to sign John Brown from Dundee and didn’t because he failed a medical. This proved to be a mistake as he signed for Rangers and played every match.

£300k for Temps with 5 months left on his deal would be terrible value for money. He'll be a gamble if we try to sign him for free in summer.

A_A wehatethehibs

Whatever we get for JW - temps is worth less than half that. 

100k buys him from cash strapped Hamilton imo. Maybe even less 

6 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

£300k is a considerable sum of money for HMFC and scottish football in general.

Dagger Is Back

Every signing is a gamble (some clearly more than others),  but I don’t get the Templeton love in. Was decent with us and  scored a wonderful goal against Hibs but I remember him turning into a one trick pony in his latter days with us.

Has had a decent season after his injury woes but spending money on him based on a half season - no thanks. 

Even picking him him up in June for free would be a wage gamble.

Edited by Dagger Is Back

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I hope he is not staying in Wigan until Monday otherwise he will change his mind about signing on Monday.

He was at Anfield last night watching the game

Diadora Van Basten
Just now, dumpson said:

£300k is a considerable sum of money for HMFC and scottish football in general.

It’s not really though as I say Celtic are signing ten year olds for £75k and Temps was the November player of the month plus he can take a corner.

jack D and coke
18 hours ago, jayjay said:

Wish the laddie well. Yes he was badly advised at some point, I’m not gonna let that tarnish how he’s been a great servant to the club. Through admin days etc he was one of the kids who stepped up to the plate. In championship winning season he was excellent. He goes with my best wishes and I hope he goes on and proves himself down south. Good luck Jamie and all the best young man. Go and do yourself justice. 

That’s pretty much how I feel as well. He got some poor advice from that hun prick of an agent and it’s soiled his reputation a bit, jamie should’ve left on a high not like this with a lot of fans wanting to see the back of him. 

I hope he can recover some of the form we know he’s capable of and make a decent career for himself. Good luck Jamie. 

2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That’s pretty much how I feel as well. He got some poor advice from that hun prick of an agent and it’s soiled his reputation a bit, jamie should’ve left on a high not like this with a lot of fans wanting to see the back of him. 

I hope he can recover some of the form we know he’s capable of and make a decent career for himself. Good luck Jamie. 

Amen to that!

Diadora Van Basten
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

300k. For David Templeton?

ParchedLawfulJabiru-max-1mb.gif

Ok 200k for David Templeton and £100k for Callum Booth :touche:

5 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

It’s not really though as I say Celtic are signing ten year olds for £75k and Temps was the November player of the month plus he can take a corner.

We've probably not spent much more than £300k in transfers since admin !

On a free I'd take him but I'm absolutely convinced there'd be better options available.

26 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Was he supporting the team in Blue?

Jambof3tornado
31 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

What celtic are doing is totally irrelevant.(they just scooped nearly £8m for VVD sell on). That would pay for half our new stand!!

What fees are the teams outwith sevco and celtic paying?

We are not signing Temps for any amount of money.

Walter Bishop
35 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

As was John Soutter.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Was he supporting the team in Blue?

He was in the home end putting up stories of YNWA, 

18 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

He was in the home end putting up stories of YNWA, 

Pardon my ignorance but what is YNWA?  I am assuming the WA is Wigan Athletic.

Jingle Bells
1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

When he was with us he scored scored one spectacular goal (against Hibs) but after that he seemed to get ‘found out’ as he always cut inside and was quite predictable.

looking at his form this year he does seem to have matured and improved but he has had injuries throughout his career , so I wouldn’t be wanting to pay muc( for him unless it was in the form of staggered payments based on no of games played.

JJ could have helped him out a bit by allowing him to switch wings during games rather hanging him out to dry inorder to occupy two defenders, imho.

He seems to be playing more centrally now as maybe he's lost some pace.

Portable Badger
9 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Pardon my ignorance but what is YNWA?  I am assuming the WA is Wigan Athletic.

You'll Never Walk Alone

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

But one player of the month and 5months of being fit is a gamble and 300k for us is a lot of money for a player. Robertson when we bought him back was still a gamble but proven more than Temps. Beslija a massive gamble based on not much and a total bust. 

A 100k offer is a gamble but value for money. How many times on here have qe had threads about guys who have played few games and yet were taking a chance even though its free. There is no difference to that  with Temps. 

Celtic can go pay 50/75k for a ten year old everyday as far as im concerned. The amount of them they will make money back on is small but they have the money to do that. We don’t 

Son Of Anarchy

Templeton? A large fee? Really? :lol:

Good luck Jamie. Hope you do really well done there. Sick tae feck of this whole saga now.

13 hours ago, Ryder said:

You wont get any arguments from me in that one. I was a big fan of the lad. Opened my eyes to how much of a complete ***** Richard Gordon is too.

I met Miko and Zal on my 18th birthday and rudely went over to their table to say hi (after they'd finished their meal of course). They couldn't have been nicer. Zal had not long arrived and miko and another were mocking his English but he gave a wee broken rendition of happy birthday. Both seem great blokes and excited to be at hearts even at that early stage.

Edited by Taffin

24 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I met Miko and Zal on my 18th birthday and rudely went over to their table to say hi (after they'd finished their meal of course). They couldn't have been nicer. Zal had not long arrived and miko and another were mocking his English but he gave a wee broken rendition of happy birthday. Both seem great blokes and excited to be at hearts even at that early stage.

Imagine that story reported by Keith Jackson instead:

As I walked over to their noisy table, it was immediately apparent these two unfriendly Lithuanian journeymen were eating beats and cabbage with warm champagne. They looked down their noses at me and refused to speak to me in English. As I left I glanced through the window and noticed an abandoned Skoda which was probably what they arrived at the restaurant in.

8 minutes ago, Ryder said:

As I walked over to their noisy table, it was immediately apparent these two unfriendly Lithuanian journeymen were eating beats and cabbage with warm champagne. They looked down their noses at me and refused to speak to me in English. As I left I glanced through the window and noticed an abandoned Skoda which was probably what they arrived at the restaurant in.

Weegies are of course renowned for their grasp of the English language.

Mibbees dinnae likes it cos it's English.

13 minutes ago, Ryder said:

?? so true. Though I wouldn't be surprised to have heard that version from some fans at the time either given the ire directed towards the 'liffs'.

16 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think if we can get £300k for him then we should offer it to Hamilton for Temps.

We need to replace Walker as the squad isn’t good enough and Temps is bang on form after getting player of the month.

I don’t think Walker realised how good he has had it with Hearts as he is given a free role and looks short of pace and confidence. I hope he does well down south but can’t really see it.

?

You cannot be serious. 

37 minutes ago, Barack said:

It’ll have been a Lada, mate.

Cant find the article mate. Think it was a Skoda. It was a Keith Jackson expose from his time in Lithuania when Romanov invited him and a few other Scottish media ***** to his house before a Lithuania v Scotland game. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Cant find the article mate. Think it was a Skoda. It was a Keith Jackson expose from his time in Lithuania when Romanov invited him and a few other Scottish media ***** to his house before a Lithuania v Scotland game. 

It was a shocking article. Jackson is everything that drains me about Scottish football. 

An absolutely colossal arsehole. 

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It was a shocking article. Jackson is everything that drains me about Scottish football. 

An absolutely colossal arsehole. 

It was. The best part was I picked up a copy of the paper to have a look for myself after reading his article online. There was a double page spread showing the stadium and the “abandoned Skoda” was a split new Skoda Octavia parked in the car park outside the ground. Romanov invited them in to his home and gave them food and drink and they essentially just stood in a wee huddle giggling and being rude. Then when they got back to the weeg Jackson battered out that horrendous article.

Best of luck Jamie.

Nice to see the constant reports of having his head turned by his "first love" Rangers were well wide of the mark

Just now, Barack said:

I thought you were just being satirical, & not basing it on an actual KJ hatchet “piece.” :o 

Been searching for it online but can’t find it. Boy’s a total spunk trumpet.

The Future's Maroon
3 hours ago, Barack said:

Hamilton will accept the latest version of McAfee right now, as payment.

Dissapointed nobody else picked up on this little gem of a post, quality Mr President ??

Anyway, £300k for Temps....wtf is going on in people's heads? ?

Rangers fan doing a more balanced assssment of players' contributions.

Jason Holt for example comes out well. 

2 hours ago, Son Of Anarchy said:

Templeton? A large fee? Really? :lol:

Good luck Jamie. Hope you do really well done there. Sick tae feck of this whole saga now.

I hope he gets back to his previous form,good luck to him.

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Rangers fan doing a more balanced assssment of players' contributions.

Jason Holt for example comes out well. 

That was quite an interesting read

1 minute ago, RS86 said:

That was quite an interesting read

Gives more credit to the build up play or shots that lead to goals 

As it seems to be  a done deal we should wish him well, thank him for his service (remember he stuck with us in the bad times which seems to have been forgotten by some) and hope for his sake he recovers his form which could bring benefit to us further down the line.

Fans love their club but they need to realise that to a player it's a profession and their chance to improve the lot of their families. 

He's not broken any laws simply exercised his rights not to sign a new deal as we have done  in opting to sell him 

scott herbertson
34 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Dissapointed nobody else picked up on this little gem of a post, quality Mr President ??

Anyway, £300k for Temps....wtf is going on in people's heads? ?

There is a kind of ‘absencemakestheheartgrowfonder’ syndrome which seems to operate. Hence people advocating we go for anyone who has previously played well for us -most recent examples being Templeton and Sow. If the had no Hearts connections and we were looking at their injury records and goal scoring records people would be on here crying ‘dud’ and blaming Levein if there was even a rumour suggesting we were talking to them....

chester copperpot
17 hours ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Agreed. Better to get rid before he goes post Madonna 

Hahahaha

6 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

There is a kind of ‘absencemakestheheartgrowfonder’ syndrome which seems to operate. Hence people advocating we go for anyone who has previously played well for us -most recent examples being Templeton and Sow. If the had no Hearts connections and we were looking at their injury records and goal scoring records people would be on here crying ‘dud’ and blaming Levein if there was even a rumour suggesting we were talking to them....

Absolutely this. 

10 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Correct

18 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Gives more credit to the build up play or shots that lead to goals 

Also shows what some players who don't necessarily stand out are contributing to their teams, like Holt as you say or even guys likes of Blair Alston.

• redm changed the title to Jamie Walker joins Wigan for £300k (updated)
  • davemclaren locked this topic