Jamie Walker joins Wigan (updated)

Beats

44 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

As much as I congratulate Temps for clawing his way back I still think we have better prospects coming through our youth setups.

Totally agree.......what those advocating a move for Templeton are thinking about baffles me

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Spencer

• It should have been ten

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

14 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Totally agree.......what those advocating a move for Templeton are thinking about baffles me

It baffles me why you would not want him back,offers a lot more than what we have.

Like temps, would have him back for a small fee this month or pre-contract for the summer. Could do a lot worse. 

11 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

If Templeton wasn't ex Hearts nobody would even be discussing him. 

Or going tonto that we had spent money on another foreign guy with a few decent games recently but a lot of prior injury problems and telling us the clubs signing policy is useless. ?

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
Just now, sadj said:

Or going tonto that we had spent money on another foreign guy with a few decent games recently but a lot of prior injury problems and telling us the clubs signing policy is useless. ?

Bingo. 

Jambof3tornado
8 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Like temps, would have him back for a small fee this month or pre-contract for the summer. Could do a lot worse. 

But we could also do a lot better!!

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 hours ago, indianajones said:

Pretty much resigned to the fact that a huge portion of our fans are soft as dug shite. 

Yes its correct that Jamie Walker has not broken any laws in exercising his right to not to sign a new contract. Yes he can move on and attempt to better his career elsewhere. I have zero problem with him leaving. 

Does it change the fact the guy acted like a petulant erse towards Hearts and therefore every single on of us? Nope. 

The guys a wee see you next tuesday and you won't catch me wishing him luck on his future endeavours. 

This 100%.

55 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

No doubt but would have him in, he’s a good player and would make a difference to what we have now. 

2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Djoum for example is a lot better than most players we've seen at our club but he's still not what we need. Skill and ability in Scotland comes 2nd to hard work and tenacity. Templeton has a hunger about him having lost a good chunk of his career. The fact he can still perform at this level despite how the last few years have been for him shows a strength of character that we need tbh. 

Sounds like some people are overcompensating with 'you can't sign players that previously played for us' club. Templeton is a player whose confidence is high and has just won a player of the month. Would be foolish to ignore that because of some poorly conceived idea that looking at players who have previously played for us is a bad idea. Robbo did not too bad when he came back, so did Webster and Rudi, likewise Berra has just broke a club record. So whatever point these posters are trying to make is non-existent. 

Temps played very well against us in Hamilton, and scored too.

he was also very good against us at Tynie a few weeks ago.

He’s a player that looks like he is rediscovering his form and hunger. I like his skill, pace, and directness.

Are there better players out there? Of course, but who and where? And can we afford them and are they available?

Allowayjambo1874
22 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Temps played very well against us in Hamilton, and scored too.

he was also very good against us at Tynie a few weeks ago.

He’s a player that looks like he is rediscovering his form and hunger. I like his skill, pace, and directness.

Are there better players out there? Of course, but who and where? And can we afford them and are they available?

Sorry to be pedantic but he didn’t score against us, he did get an assist after an error by Grzelak 

10 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Sorry to be pedantic but he didn’t score against us, he did get an assist after an error by Grzelak 

Fair enough. Old age is affecting my memory:-(

scott herbertson
5 hours ago, OTT said:

Djoum for example is a lot better than most players we've seen at our club but he's still not what we need. Skill and ability in Scotland comes 2nd to hard work and tenacity. Templeton has a hunger about him having lost a good chunk of his career. The fact he can still perform at this level despite how the last few years have been for him shows a strength of character that we need tbh. 

Sounds like some people are overcompensating with 'you can't sign players that previously played for us' club. Templeton is a player whose confidence is high and has just won a player of the month. Would be foolish to ignore that because of some poorly conceived idea that looking at players who have previously played for us is a bad idea. Robbo did not too bad when he came back, so did Webster and Rudi, likewise Berra has just broke a club record. So whatever point these posters are trying to make is non-existent. 

All the players you mention had played at a consistently high level for us in their first spell. Templeton didn’t, so he is riskier.

i do agree he has improved and is “worth a look” on that account but not at the money being talked of and would probably want a good length contract so again given his injury record risky.

TyphoonJambo

I’d give them 50k , a year subscription to “ Bitdefender premium” ( so they don’t get screwed with their finances again)and offer Temps an 18 month contract. Can’t see what there is to loose. Particularly if we clear out the dross we are expecting to.

Edited by TypoonJambo

I hope Wigan realise he’s not really a winger. Keep reading this and wonder who’s been watching him the last few years. 

fabienleclerq

Good luck to him, not sure it's the move he wanted but after the way he's behaved and the huns moving on its his only option.

300k for Templeton?

Have Big Hearts come into a wad of cash and starting a 'Sponsor a Tramp' initiative?

Edited by DETTY29

Seems to be two different arguments revolving around Templeton here. One that we should consider spending 300k on him, and another that we should bring him back if it doesn’t cost us very much. Not a chance I would want us to spend much of a transfer fee on him, six figures is a no-no. Can’t see Hamilton letting him go for less than that though, not in their current predicament. So it’d most likely have to be at the end of the season, if we did want to take him.

The argument about bringing him back if the price was right however, I’m all for. Transfers are often all about form and getting a player in to the right club at the right time. I have a feeling a resurgent Templeton returning to a resurgent Hearts right now would work. He was a brilliant player for us when he was up for it, and if he passes a medical, then I see no reason why his current good form should be overlooked.

I agree about Scott’s ‘absence makes the Heart grow fonder’ theory, but it’s worth remembering that sometimes these returning players are a revelation; Robertson, Colquhoun, Skacel and Webster are examples of this. 

Maybe we could do a deal at say 50k and a couple of development loans.

Diadora Van Basten

There are three arguments and nobody so far agrees with me that we should spend £300k. I still think it would be money well spent replacing Walker who has been poor for the last 12 months with a better player based on his performances this season especially against us as at Tynie.

Secondly if we should pay a fee and sign him now. If we don’t sign a replacement for Walker then we will weaken the squad. If we try and sign a player we don’t know there is a danger we will sign a player similar to Dauda or the other mercenaries we had last season.

Thirdly is whether we should sign him on a pre contract for next year. This might make the best business sense but we need a replacement for Walker now.

2 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

There are three arguments and nobody so far agrees with me that we should spend £300k. I still think it would be money well spent replacing Walker who has been poor for the last 12 months with a better player based on his performances this season especially against us as at Tynie.

Secondly if we should pay a fee and sign him now. If we don’t sign a replacement for Walker then we will weaken the squad. If we try and sign a player we don’t know there is a danger we will sign a player similar to Dauda or the other mercenaries we had last season.

Thirdly is whether we should sign him on a pre contract for next year. This might make the best business sense but we need a replacement for Walker now.

Or Fourthly we don't bother signing him at all and look for better .

Diadora Van Basten
3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

That would be covered by arguments 2 and 3.

17 minutes ago, Homme said:

Good luck to Jamie.

My stepdaughter will be gutted her big cousin is moving on!

Nice name drop :laugh:

22 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Bingo. Nailed it 

2 hours ago, Bighenry said:

I hope Wigan realise he’s not really a winger. Keep reading this and wonder who’s been watching him the last few years. 

Good point. If you were to stick him out wide now it would be interesting to watch what he could do. Very very little I suspect. 

The lack of pace and fitness make me wonder why on earth Wigan are interested. They will most likely be Championship bound in a few months. Not a chance in hell that Walker will make it at that level.

If the deal is completed and he moves this week and we get £300,000 then we have done pretty well all things considered 

3 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Good point. If you were to stick him out wide now it would be interesting to watch what he could do. Very very little I suspect. 

The lack of pace and fitness make me wonder why on earth Wigan are interested. They will most likely be Championship bound in a few months. Not a chance in hell that Walker will make it at that level.

If the deal is completed and he moves this week and we get £300,000 then we have done pretty well all things considered 

He definitely has the ability to succeed at that level but his fitness needs sorted. He is a better player than Wes Hoolahan and he does pretty well in the Championship. 

The Champrionship is not that great!

20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Nice name drop :laugh:

:lol:

Since he is moving on I can show my ITK credentials.

35 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

He definitely has the ability to succeed at that level but his fitness needs sorted. He is a better player than Wes Hoolahan and he does pretty well in the Championship. 

The Champrionship is not that great!

I think most of his problems are in his head rather than actual physical issues.

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think most of his problems are in his head rather than actual physical issues.

Absolutely, if he gets that sorted then he will be fine. 

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Walker has done nothing for 12months so there is no immediate panic to replace him although overall it weakens the options in the squad till the summer.

7 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Walker has done nothing for 12months so there is no immediate panic to replace him although overall it weakens the options in the squad till the summer.

I agree. That’s why an on-form Templeton would improve us straight away. Again, not for six figures though. I suspect we will see a few players leave and a combined incoming fee of about £1m. If we also bring in at least one striker of quality, preferably two, a left back and a midfielder, then I’m easy about spending a nominal fee to get Temps in to not only replace Walker, but improve us.

stranraer-jambo

Apart from the 300K that we are reportedly going to receive, there is also another benefit.......

We did not allow ourselves to be bullied into selling JW by the Sevco tactics in the summer. This, I believe, will be more important than the money we receive now. It will show our intent in holding on to our assets for a fair price to whoever wants them, particularly with the Academy players starting to come through our system.

2 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

Apart from the 300K that we are reportedly going to receive, there is also another benefit.......

We did not allow ourselves to be bullied into selling JW by the Sevco tactics in the summer. This, I believe, will be more important than the money we receive now. It will show our intent in holding on to our assets for a fair price to whoever wants them, particularly with the Academy players starting to come through our system.

Could not agree more.

i wish jj was my dad
6 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

Spot on. The club got that 100% correct by looking at the bigger picture.

6 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Spot on. The club got that 100% correct by looking at the bigger picture.

We also defended ourselves properly when Jamie’s Dad claimed we didn’t offer him a new contract that would make him our highest paid player. Despite the vitriol our director of Football received at the time for saying we did.

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

We also defended ourselves properly when Jamie’s Dad claimed we didn’t offer him a new contract that would make him our highest paid player. Despite the vitriol our director of Football received at the time for saying we did.

Indeed. There were a few people telling lies about the club. Whether Jamie was responsible for that or not he could have set the record straight. He didn't and that didn't sit right with me. 

2 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Indeed. There were a few people telling lies about the club. Whether Jamie was responsible for that or not he could have set the record straight. He didn't and that didn't sit right with me. 

Me neither. I don’t like players who claim to be supporters behaving in that manner. It’s possible to progress your career and leave the club you support without tarnishing your reputation at the same time. His agent probably doesn’t understand this though, and maybe Jamie should be more careful about the sort of people who advise him.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
11 hours ago, OTT said:

Templeton is nowhere near the quality of the players mentioned. You either miss the point or are not very bright. 

God like creature

I don't think re-signing temps would be a bad move,

i wouldn't want the club to spend more than £200Kish.

Im wondering why the Rangers arnt in persuit of this type of player ?

10 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

We have a ready made replacement in Milinkovic get him signed.

The way he has played the last couple of seasons do we need to replace him?  The Celtic game might have been a pointer to the answer.

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The way he has played the last couple of seasons do we need to replace him?  The Celtic game might have been a pointer to the answer.

Perhaps not him specifically, but we need quality.

The Celtic game was tremendous but it was a freak result.  I wouldn't be moderating our recruitment plans based on that performance in isolation 

15 minutes ago, God like creature said:

Any money above something like 30-50k for Temps would be mental.  He's 29 today and out of contract in the summer.  We'd be better to get him for free on a 1 year contract in the summer, if we must.

26 minutes ago, God like creature said:

£200,000 for David Templeton.  Why not give them £500,000 for Temps and the lad Skondras who looks like he's just come off a building site 

You are advocating that we spend more on Templeton with 6 months remaining on his contract than we did for Souttar and Goncalves? 

This place is absolutely ****ing insane 

I've often wondered about the morons who sit in the Wheatfield screaming abuse at Hearts players when they have an off game. Looks like they spend their time also posting drivel about potential signings

• redm changed the title to Jamie Walker joins Wigan for £300k (updated)
  • davemclaren locked this topic