The January Window ( merged )

Bauld

Clerry Jambo
26 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Haud oan Clerry.

Ashley Smythe-Broon was rumoured to be an 'EPL Left Back' too!

:whistling:

:what:AAAAAAAAAAAAAH Disco, I'm hovering back down to earth, cheers mate!!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Is BorthwickJackson not away back to Man U from Leeds? Man U fans seem to like him esp going fwd but Leeds n Wolves fans have torn him to shreds.

He did not impress yesterday against Newport County. Boy that scored the winning goal bore a resemblance to Bjorn Johnson and was a bit of handful albeit quite raw

...a bit disco
Just now, Clerry Jambo said:

:what:AAAAAAAAAAAAAH Disco, I'm hovering back down to earth, cheers mate!!

Here to help.

:thumbsup:

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Correct. Two clubs of a similar size in the same league will have a lot of convergence on signing targets. 

Does that that also apply when it’s a BIG team and a wee team?

7 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Does that that also apply when it’s a BIG team and a wee team?

Apparently so.  ?

I reckon we should spark some interest in some seriously shite players.  Big them up something chronic, make it very publicly clear we're interested and just see what Hibs do. 

disclaimer - this may or may not be our current signing policy anyway :lol:

...a bit disco
9 minutes ago, jamle1874 said:

Leon de Kogel

Decent record if we are in for him.

9 minutes ago, jamle1874 said:

Leon de Kogel

Articles online suggest he is away to play for some club in Vietnam

Howdy Doody Jambo
4 minutes ago, neilr61 said:

Dundee Arms still got a team 

...a bit disco
7 minutes ago, neilr61 said:

Can see why he might not want to come here anyway.

Go Ahead Eagles will not punish Leon de Kogel, technical manager Dennis Bekking says on the club website. The attacker was treated to a flute concert last Friday during the home match against AZ, after which he visibly scolded the cameras with the words 'shit public' and 'public'. 

"On Tuesday morning I spoke with Leon de Kogel about last Friday, and it is beyond dispute that his excesses are not possible", says Bekking. "Leon had already expressed his sincere apologies both to supporters via the media and internally, and he was led by emotion, and in the conversation he showed himself to be guilty, so we chose not to fine or suspend Leon."

:lol:

Would much rather a permanent signing of De Kogel for instance, than Aussie on loan. Passes the youtube test, is fit, played at a good level, big lad with a decent touch and looks the type the fans would take to. First of 3 or 4 that we require in this window hopefully with a surplus few moved out.

The Aussie lad might be decent but his stats would indicate he left Australia and either isn't good enough or just doesn't feel happy in Germany. 

Couple that with a big wage and it's a gamble we might not be willing to take. 

There's probably safer options closer to home that would cost less. Unless we have a realistic shot at Naismith and we are putting full effort into that. 

I had this hope that we were working hard to prepare for this window and would have predicted that by the 8th we would more than likely have done some business. Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and them seem to have been a bit better prepared....

BobbyJenkins
3 minutes ago, dallan said:

I had this hope that we were working hard to prepare for this window and would have predicted that by the 8th we would more than likely have done some business. Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and them seem to have been a bit better prepared....

Seem. It’s not a competition to see who signs players quickest.

I would imagine a huge amount of work went into trying to sign Somi, Byrne, MacLaren, and Miller. None of these deals have come off. 

Must be hugely frustrating especially when we need folk moved on too to release wages.

The cup game against the vermin has compressed the timeline to get people in, but we don't want to sign shite for the sake of it. Bit of a dilemma but hopefully we are doing everything in our power behind the scenes to solve it.

34 minutes ago, dallan said:

Think so?Pretty sure we will have in the players we need to take us forward.And they will be  successful,no hit and miss nor held to ransom.Thought out targets by Craig Levein fear not.

20 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

I would imagine a huge amount of work went into trying to sign Somi, Byrne, MacLaren, and Miller. None of these deals have come off. 

Must be hugely frustrating especially when we need folk moved on too to release wages.

The cup game against the vermin has compressed the timeline to get people in, but we don't want to sign shite for the sake of it. Bit of a dilemma but hopefully we are doing everything in our power behind the scenes to solve it.

miller?

SuperstarSteve
18 minutes ago, MacPhee said:

miller?

Calvin miller on loan from Celtic am sure he’s talking about mate. 

41 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Disagree. 

The cup game has compressed the timeline to have our first 11 fit and available. 

Our first 11 is capable of beating Hibs. But we haven't been able to field our best 11 against them for ages.

The signings shouldn't be rushed. They should be done carefully and with a longer term view than a cup game against Hibs. They could well decide whether or not we can mount a challenge on the top 3 and finish above those bottom feeders at the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Calvin miller on loan from Celtic am sure he’s talking about mate. 

ah yeah

19 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Disagree. 

The cup game has compressed the timeline to have our first 11 fit and available. 

Our first 11 is capable of beating Hibs. But we haven't been able to field our best 11 against them for ages.

The signings shouldn't be rushed. They should be done carefully and with a longer term view than a cup game against Hibs. They could well decide whether or not we can mount a challenge on the top 3 and finish above those bottom feeders at the end of the season.

Agreed. They have had months to identify players regardless off who goes. A left back and midfielder have been an issue for 2 seasons now  how much time do we need? 

The Old Tolbooth

Jeez, the Dingles actually think they’ve got one over on us and can’t quite comprehend the fact that we didn’t follow up our interest, they’re special that lot! 

Just now, johnmitchell said:

Jeez, the Dingles actually think they’ve got one over on us and can’t quite comprehend the fact that we didn’t follow up our interest, they’re special that lot! 

I saw that were gutted and greeting we didn’t get him and hes gone from ace to keech in a week. 

Pretty sure weve all said he could be decent but is a gamble and we wouldnt follow up interest and pay the percentage that his parent club wanted us too 

All Out Attack
1 hour ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Seem. It’s not a competition to see who signs players quickest.

We really need to learn from the shambles of previous transfer windows at this time,  where we have left things very late and players have been put into the team either not fit or often not too familiar with their team mates. 

Levein was also previously on record of suggesting something like, if you get players later in the window, their demands are often lower as they start to get a bit desperate. 

Losing out to Hibs on the Aussie, seems a bit troubling at first glance. Why do the homework and get him over,  if we are to allow our neighbours to just gazump him. I would hate to think he will score against us in the cup derby soon, our whole season depends on this game. 

27 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Disagree. 

The cup tie IS out biggest game of the season so far, for a whole host of reasons.  With the likely suspension of Lafferty, and the fact that Isma is so off form, I think we desperately need a striker in place asap if we are to beat Hibs AND have any chance of mounting any serious challenge for 3rd place.

BobbyJenkins
1 minute ago, All Out Attack said:

We really need to learn from the shambles of previous transfer windows at this time,  where we have left things very late and players have been put into the team either not fit or often not too familiar with their team mates. 

Levein was also previously on record of suggesting something like, if you get players later in the window, their demands are often lower as they start to get a bit desperate. 

Losing out to Hibs on the Aussie, seems a bit troubling at first glance. Why do the homework and get him over,  if we are to allow our neighbours to just gazump him. I would hate to think he will score against us in the cup derby soon, our whole season depends on this game. 

I think the past Jan window was a bit of different one, given the happenings.

I dont see how it is troubling at all. Noone knows how serious we were about the lad. He has said that but it doesnt mean he does only that. We will have other targets of that I am sure and if we can get them we will.

Our whole season, in your opinion, depends on this game. I dont feel that but I think theres another thread on that particular topic.

27 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Check boss 

Good Man

Thursday could be interesting to see who departs with the squad to Spain!

18 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Agreed. They have had months to identify players regardless off who goes. A left back and midfielder have been an issue for 2 seasons now  how much time do we need? 

That’s only true if we knew who woukd be or become available this window. 

33 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s only true if we knew who woukd be or become available this window. 

Surely we have sounded out say 6/7 Players who we have identified that could work out at say left back Dave and who aren't getting game time.. Players/club/Agent should have been contacted regards availability etc weeks before? then its surely a matter of going for that man who is available and wants to come here for the correct wage. I get nothing is a given but you see other clubs always getting there business done as soon as the window is slammed open 

Here is hoping Levein has a few gems under his sleeve and the wait is more to do with getting that quality in rather than pondering around for the cast offs 

43 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Good Man

Thursday could be interesting to see who departs with the squad to Spain!

On that flight so I can periscope it Belge

2 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Surely we have sounded out say 6/7 Players who we have identified that could work out at say left back Dave and who aren't getting game time.. Players/club/Agent should have been contacted regards availability etc weeks before? then its surely a matter of going for that man who is available and wants to come here for the correct wage. I get nothing is a given but you see other clubs always getting there business done as soon as the window is slammed open 

Here is hoping Levein has a few gems under his sleeve and the wait is more to do with getting that quality in rather than pondering around for the cast offs 

Most deals seem to be done late in the window as far as i can see. Hoofully we won’t have too long to wait before something happens though. ?

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

Disagree. 

I absolutely agree the current squad is capable of beating Hibs. 

However it would be hugely disappointing to the vast majority of fans if we haven't added quality to the squad. They've added a guy we were after and are obviously creaming themselves about it. This guy might be shite but it all adds to their confidence. Equally it will piss off some of our support. 

It would be a huge morale boost to sign a Naismith standard player before the derby to give them something new to worry about.

7 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

On that flight so I can periscope it Belge

The all new 2018 KImosavi exclusives

Stay tooned folks

I would be very surprised if we make any WOW factor signings during this transfer window. 

I reckon 3-4 will come in with atleast 2 loans included.

Not the way forward, no stability with loan signings along with European/African lucky dip signings.

Hopefully im wrong this time and we pull off a couple of good Scottish signings out of the hat as that accompanied by our already superb bunch of young talent is indeed the only way to go. Until this happens I feel we will always be playing catch up to that manky mob.

We need a Docherty type of signing to start with, yes expensive but money in the bank long term?

9 minutes ago, 18ally74 said:

I would be very surprised if we make any WOW factor signings during this transfer window. 

Not the way forward, no stability with loan signings along with European/African lucky dip signings.

Hopefully im wrong this time and we pull off a couple of good Scottish signings out of the hat as that accompanied by our already superb bunch of young talent is indeed the only way to go. Until this happens I feel we will always be playing catch up to that manky mob.

We need a Docherty type of signing to start with, yes expensive but money in the bank long term?

We will never play catch up to them... We might have dips at times and not have long periods of dominance but we will never be second best to them. You can’t change 140 years of regular dominance in 3 seasons.

edit: docherty might well be worth a punt but again hes as much a gamble as any other transfer in our , Aberdeen or Hibs price range. Rangers and Cardiff are in for him allegedly with Hobos claiming they are aswell

We do have 300k to spend on a player no walker is away 

Cadden or Docherty 

28 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Not sure I agree. Very few clubs have done any business so far. Transfer windows are like chess games these days. An example, City  want Sánchez, Arsenal have to get replacement first, say it’s Mahrez, will Leicester let  him go before they have a replacement confirmed? And so on down the chain. That’s why last two or three days of window is when the bulk of the business  gets done. Unfortunately for us we have a huge game on 21st and I fear getting players in for that date  is proving very difficult or too expensive. 

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

We will never play catch up to them... We might have dips at times and not have long periods of dominance but we will never be second best to them. You can’t change 140 years of regular dominance in 3 seasons.

edit: docherty might well be worth a punt but again hes as much a gamble as any other transfer in our , Aberdeen or Hibs price range. Rangers and Cardiff are in for him allegedly with Hobos claiming they are aswell

Like it or NOT, on the park Hibs are indeed in a better place than us at the moment. Admittedly, all it woiUld take is a couple of good signings by us to address the shortfall.

12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not sure I agree. Very few clubs have done any business so far. Transfer windows are like chess games these days. An example, City  want Sánchez, Arsenal have to get replacement first, say it’s Mahrez, will Leicester let  him go before they have a replacement confirmed? And so on down the chain. That’s why last two or three days of window is when the bulk of the business  gets done. Unfortunately for us we have a huge game on 21st and I fear getting players in for that date  is proving very difficult or too expensive. 

Personally don't think it would be wise to chuck in three or four new faces in a cup tie against hibs as regardless of how good the players are the pace of the game could catch them off guard on their debut, we went toe to toe with hibs in the last derby and they didn't trouble us once (offside goal aside), what we lacked was creativity so I'd say getting in one or two attacking players before that game and then another two after would be fine

Bazzas right boot

Like it or NOT, on the park Hibs are indeed in a better place than us at the moment. Admittedly, all it woiUld take is a couple of good signings by us to address the shortfall.

Not true.

We've been above them in the league the past 3 seasons, actually 4 as even when we both got relegated we got more points than them..

They are currently 5 points ahead of us.

1 month ago, folk on here said Motherwell were better than us....

This season, the jury is still out who will be better. 16 games to go.

My money is on us.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Personally don't think it would be wise to chuck in three or four new faces in a cup tie against hibs as regardless of how good the players are the pace of the game could catch them off guard on their debut, we went toe to toe with hibs in the last derby and they didn't trouble us once (offside goal aside), what we lacked was creativity so I'd say getting in one or two attacking players before that game and then another two after would be fine

Yip.

Still want a lb.

A fit Djoum and Ross will also help.

2 attacking players and a left back minimum.

If we get 3/4 doubt all would play together in the first game as you say.

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

We do have 300k to spend on a player no walker is away 

Cadden or Docherty 

Or pay Naismith's first year on £5k/ week.

14 minutes ago, 18ally74 said:

By a small amount maybe right now , but if you read what i wrote we might have dips but we will never be playing catch up to them as a club. The squad we have on its day is as capable of beating them as we are of beating them. There has been lttle between us this season. 

6 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Not true.

We've been above them in the league the past 3 seasons, actually 4 as even when we both got relegated we got more points than them..

They are currently 5 points ahead of us.

1 month ago, folk on here said Motherwell were better than us....

This season, the jury is still out who will be better. 16 games to go.

My money is on us.

??

8 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Or pay Naismith's first year on £5k/ week.

He's talking about playing for nothing if Rangers take him back.

Archived