Levein is not the answer ( merged )

Hood09

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

"Giving him another two years to prove himself and his model", could cost us a fortune in lost ticket sales as folk stop going. 

We have a shambles of a football squad which he has presided over and the football is eye-bleeding. His model also imposed Cathro on us and don't forget, he didn't want to let him go either. He has trainee coaches working under him, who the support will never accept now. The whole Levein era is turning to mess. 

As I said the evidence for your view is mounting and not since the relegation years of the late seventies have I had less enthusiasm about watching Hearts - I generally currently find it a pretty dispiriting experience.

But Ann is not going to sack Levein, short of us getting into a relegation fight and maybe not even then. Sacking Levein will be an admission of her failure as well as his.

In a couple of years FOH will own the club and there is then an opportunity to change.

Until then I fear we are stuck with the Budge/Levein model and so can only hope it works, at least better than it has in the last year and a half.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• soonbe110

• Hendricks

• Escobar PHM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sandylejambo

I never even tried to get a ticket for Fester Rd, that's just not me, I have lost a fair bit of motivation of going to Hearts games, the football we play has a lot to do with that, Levein could be a great coach, sometimes he is, just not often enough, where is the team that floored Celtic? can we please have the team that destroyed St Johnson in the cup? what happens to these teams between games? it's so frustrating being a Jambo when you know we have the players but they're only up for it every 4 weeks or so

ford donald
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

As I said the evidence for your view is mounting and not since the relegation years of the late seventies have I had less enthusiasm about watching Hearts - I generally currently find it a pretty dispiriting experience.

But Ann is not going to sack Levein, short of us getting into a relegation fight and maybe not even then. Sacking Levein will be an admission of her failure as well as his.

In a couple of years FOH will own the club and there is then an opportunity to change.

Until then I fear we are stuck with the Budge/Levein model and so can only hope it works, at least better than it has in the last year and a half.

Difficult decisions have to be met at board level,the supporters should be treated better,at the present time,the show is not good enough.

52 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

"Giving him another two years to prove himself and his model", could cost us a fortune in lost ticket sales as folk stop going. 

We have a shambles of a football squad which he has presided over and the football is eye-bleeding. His model also imposed Cathro on us and don't forget, he didn't want to let him go either. He has trainee coaches working under him, who the support will never accept now. The whole Levein era is turning to mess. 

Levein is more positive than you.

Levein .1 Pricks like you nill :)

How you like them apples??

Edited by VladMagic

Hopefully all the proper fans that are in attendance tomorrow night enjoy a victory and everyone else can moan about how eye bleeding it was from the sanctuary of their own laptop 

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

Levein .1 Pricks like you nill :)

Did you see and hear his pre-match interview on Sunday?

Edited by Francis Albert

8 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

Levien .1 Pricks like you nill :)

Levein is a born loser..........just like you ???

Enzo Chiefo
9 hours ago, frankblack said:

Anyone thinking someone like Steve Clarke is coming here and going to make a significant impact in the short term are seriously deluded.

Firstly, as I've stated before, he is only up here with Killie to put himself in the shop window for the next Championship job down south after a couple of unsuccessful clubs.

Secondly, any manager coming in will have the same set of players (minus the loanees), and a limited budget to spend on the squad.  WTF do you seriously expect to happen?  Our squad is piss poor with only a handful of players worth keeping, and the likes of Martin we can't shift off the wage bill.

Come the summer we will need to replace the keeper (looks like Jon McLaughlin is away), both full back positions, a replacement for Hughes, the entire midfield, and bring in 1 or 2 wingers and at least one more striker to cover injuries, all on a tight budget.

I don't see Levein going anywhere before next season, regardless of what people on this thread think.  He has steadied the ship after Cathro and that will be seen as enough progress.

He made an immediate impact at Killie, taking them from bottom to where they are now, getting the best out of the players already there and utilising his contacts to make a couple of great signings too. Sometimes players just need a dose of confidence from the manager and a positive playing style tgat every one buys into. A couple of good results leads to increased confidence and the run  continues.  That's what's happened at Killie and he is more than capable of replicating that with us. Filling players heads with fear about going to Glasgow or anywhere for that matter is a sure fire way of making players fearful of making mistakes and turning out poor performances 

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

2 hours ago, rick witter said:

What is the club trying to do?? We are not doing a very good job of building a football team anyway and that ultimately is what we all want. 

My only agenda is I want Hearts to be winning football matches and for the crowds we get and budget we have it would be unthinkable to finish in the bottom half of the league. If that happens we need to have a change of management as our shiny new stand will be empty for the rest of the season. 

Finish 6th and Levein will still be here next season but as many have said can’t take us to the next level with the way he wants his teams to play. 

But who has said everything's rosy?

Did you just make that up?

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The old 500 schemes gave you £600 of discounts from Hearts STs and other services and merchandise at £100 per year over 6 years. The club therefore benefited financially from the repayment, albeit at less than the full price of STs etc.

In a straight finance loan Hearts pay interest and repayment of the capital sum and the lender can do what he likes with his return without necessarily any funds flowing back to the club.

I still don't follow.

Assuming equal interest rates the club are still £600 down after borrowing £500.

37 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Levein is a born loser..........just like you ???

;)

siegementality
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

The bold bit is where I am at. It’s becoming too much of a grind.

rick witter
18 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

But who has said everything's rosy?

Did you just make that up?

I watched the news there and Levein seems to think everything is pretty rosy saying we are a much better team and have improved since we were last at Easter Road. 

I’m sorry I don’t see any improvement apart from a couple of cracking results against Hibs and Celtic at home which is Nowhere near good enough. 

Do you think we will get a win tomorrow? Or even a draw? 

14 minutes ago, rick witter said:

I watched the news there and Levein seems to think everything is pretty rosy saying we are a much better team and have improved since we were last at Easter Road. 

I’m sorry I don’t see any improvement apart from a couple of cracking results against Hibs and Celtic at home which is Nowhere near good enough. 

Yes but you said that before you watched Levein on the news and you were talking about folk on here burying their heads in the sand and pretending everything was rosy.  Who were you talking about?

Edited by JamboAl

Francis Albert
25 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I still don't follow.

Assuming equal interest rates the club are still £600 down after borrowing £500.

Sorry but after that reply I don't think i can help you any more. How the hell are we £600 down having received £500 and paid back £600 in the form of  discounts from future revenue? At the very most assuming that all of the discounted revenue would have been received anyway we are £100 down. 

What would be the cost of a simple finance loan at say ann's interest rate without any compensating guaranteed income to the club as in  a 500 club type scheme?

Edited by Francis Albert

rudi must stay
10 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Watched a snippet of his conference there and he looked confident. I think good things like the ITK posters said are happening behind the scenes. And Id put his improved mood down to that and not this team

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry but after that reply I don't think i can help you any more. How the hell are we £600 down having received £500 and paid back £600 in the form of  discounts from future revenue? At the very most assuming that all of the discounted revenue would have been received anyway we are £100 down. 

What would be the cost of a simple finance loan at say ann's interest rate without any compensating guaranteed income to the club as in  a 500 club type scheme?

Once we have received the £500 we must pay it back and that will result in being £600 (net £100) over a 6 year period.

What is flowing into the club in these later years?

Francis Albert
Just now, JamboAl said:

Once we have received the £500 we must pay it back and that will result in being £600 (net £100) over a 6 year period.

What is flowing into the club in these later years?

Well as i said on the worst possible assumption we have received £500 and have paid £600  so we will not be £600 down. Any other way of borrowing will cost as has ann's loan.

17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What the £500 club did was ensured those that contributed continued to contribute to the club for 6 more years in order to gain their annual discount. Not seen anything to convince me it wasn’t a fantastic idea, and can’t understand why we didn’t copy it for the new stand.

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

What the £500 club did was ensured those that contributed continued to contribute to the club for 6 more years in order to gain their annual discount. Not seen anything to convince me it wasn’t a fantastic idea, and can’t understand why we didn’t copy it for the new stand.

Because we wanted to do it without getting into debt. Obviously hasn’t worked. 

There are many comments on this thread from unhappy posters that to many supporters are "accepting of mediocre football" "apologists" or "happy clappers" etc. 

Can I ask what you are doing differently  so the club are well aware of your views and unhappiness at the current footballing situation? 

If all you are doing is posting your personal frustrations over and over  on an anonymous message board then you are just as "accepting" as everyone else really. 

I don't think that there are any of us that are happy with the way things are going on the football side at the moment, nobody. People understand enough though to know that Craig Levein is going absolutely nowhere for the foreseeable future and some posters on here are going to need to get used to that. 

It takes a number of factors to get a team playing well and getting right behind the team and manager is one of the them (especially at a club like Hearts where the pressure is on from the crowd) 

I really don't know if he can turn it round or not but I'd like to think he can and I'll be giving the club my full backing in the meantime in the hope we get going again next season. 

I'm sure Craig will be hurting himself. He's one of us and it'll be eating away at him to. 

Let's get right behind the club and get back to where we should be. 

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

There are many comments on this thread from unhappy posters that to many supporters are "accepting of mediocre football" "apologists" or "happy clappers" etc. 

Can I ask what you are doing differently  so the club are well aware of your views and unhappiness at the current footballing situation? 

If all you are doing is posting your personal frustrations over and over  on an anonymous message board then you are just as "accepting" as everyone else really. 

I don't think that there are any of us that are happy with the way things are going on the football side at the moment, nobody. People understand enough though to know that Craig Levein is going absolutely nowhere for the foreseeable future and some posters on here are going to need to get used to that. 

It takes a number of factors to get a team playing well and getting right behind the team and manager is one of the them (especially at a club like Hearts where the pressure is on from the crowd) 

I really don't know if he can turn it round or not but I'd like to think he can and I'll be giving the club my full backing in the meantime in the hope we get going again next season. 

I'm sure Craig will be hurting himself. He's one of us and it'll be eating away at him to. 

In other words "why don't you write to the club?". This is the main hearts fans message board and if hearts aren't paying some attention to it  then  that is hearts problem.

Nookie Bear
20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

In other words "why don't you write to the club?". This is the main hearts fans message board and if hearts aren't paying some attention to it  then  that is hearts problem.

I suppose we have zero influence on the management of the club - probably a good thing ! - and perhaps it is better to vent on here rather than at games, which would be a lot more problematic for the club.

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

He made an immediate impact at Killie, taking them from bottom to where they are now, getting the best out of the players already there and utilising his contacts to make a couple of great signings too. Sometimes players just need a dose of confidence from the manager and a positive playing style tgat every one buys into. A couple of good results leads to increased confidence and the run  continues.  That's what's happened at Killie and he is more than capable of replicating that with us. Filling players heads with fear about going to Glasgow or anywhere for that matter is a sure fire way of making players fearful of making mistakes and turning out poor performances 

The problem is that we aren't going to have much of a budget to sign the players we need to be competitive.  We don't know the details of Clarke's contract., but would you find it acceptable if it included a clause to let him walk for free to the first English Championship club that came calling?

Clarke is irrelevant now because we can't really afford to sack Levein, pay compensation, hire Clarke and pay compensation to Killie, and rebuild our squad in the summer.

There isn't a magic wand that is going to suddenly transform this squad into challengers for 2nd or 3rd next year - we need too many players.

Enzo Chiefo
50 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The problem is that we aren't going to have much of a budget to sign the players we need to be competitive.  We don't know the details of Clarke's contract., but would you find it acceptable if it included a clause to let him walk for free to the first English Championship club that came calling?

Clarke is irrelevant now because we can't really afford to sack Levein, pay compensation, hire Clarke and pay compensation to Killie, and rebuild our squad in the summer.

There isn't a magic wand that is going to suddenly transform this squad into challengers for 2nd or 3rd next year - we need too many players.

Yes it would be difficult Frank. I wouldn't want Clarke to have a clause in his contract, I would prefer someone that would be willing to stay for the length of their contract. But football is as it is and if he had ambitions to head south then money would probably talk. 

I don't know what will happen in the summer , we certainly have a rebuilding job to do and it will be costly.

I give credit to Craig Levein for what he has set in place with the youth academy and feel that is where his talents would be best utilised, breaking the link with the first team and allowing a fresh pair eyes to  come in with full autonomy over first team affairs.

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Well as i said on the worst possible assumption we have received £500 and have paid £600  so we will not be £600 down. Any other way of borrowing will cost as has ann's loan.

You are talking a load of sh"te.

Ann's loan has nothing to do with it at this stage.  That is a totally separate matter.  You are trying to confuse the issue.  You wanted to have a 500 club to pay off the stand: - that would result in paying back £600 (based on previous 500 clubs) per contributor and so reducing our disposable income for the next 6 years.

Firstly would fans be willing to pay £500 anyway when they already pay for STs and FoH?  FoH are encouraging fans who can afford it to increase their DDs which equates to monetary gifts, not repayable and not attracting loan interest

Secondly the club would be deprived of £100 per contributor for the next 6 seasons thus reducing our financial muscle in the player market. On a straight line basis that is 20% total interest.

You are the only one talking about any other way of borrowing.  We have a FACILITY in place and as far as I know have not used it which suggests "steady as we go".

Edited by JamboAl

2 hours ago, jambogemz said:

Would love to think that was the case but there was precious sign of it after the game on Sunday. The friends and family I spoke to on Sunday evening were a damn sight more down than he appeared to be. And the irony is he’s the person that can do something about it! Anyone with any football knowledge or who has watched Hearts regularly this season predicted he would set us up in the negative, cautious fashion he did and that Motherwell would be given all the momentum and territory in the first half hour. And so it proved. Until he changes his philosophy (ain’t going to happen) and strives to win matches, especially knock out games, we will continue to perform dismally when it matters most. All evidence shows he is incapable of changing though, just look at his cup record over the years. 

3 hours ago, amadjambo said:

The people who contributed would have been contributing anyway.

I'll be surprised if even one person who contributed , did so just to to gain their annual discount

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

What's killies budget?

And what did Clarke do to take killies from bottom to 5th?

13 minutes ago, jambocub said:

What's killies budget?

I don't know - you tell me what Killie's budget is?

Our budget has been severely constrained by building the new stand and having to temporarily rent Murrayfield, and I guess Cathro got a decent payoff.

We need several decent first team players to make our team competitive as we have no width and no pace and have relied on a couple of 16 year olds because there was no alternative for our midfield.

If you think we can afford to get Clarke you will be seriously disappointed.

4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Watched a snippet of his conference there and he looked confident. I think good things like the ITK posters said are happening behind the scenes. And Id put his improved mood down to that and not this team

Things are a lot better than people can see but it needs to translate on the pitch. Squad isnt bad and it was more balanced but Demi and Djoum has ballsed that up. Still doesnt mean the ludicrous attitude of some on here is justified. Supposed to support your club. As a Hearts fan or player we should always be confident pre derby. Its maybe more of a stretch this time but we still have a far better record against them even there than they do. Outside of the OF who will have records like that against most if not all teams who else has one. You wont see a OF fan going omg were gonna get pumped because they are going to a team who are having a once in a blue moon purple season 

6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

That's where i'm at. I went on Sunday for the first time in 15 months (last game before that was also a dire game at Motherwell when we were equally dismal). I'm not a CL hater but I'm at the point now where I no longer care about him. Resigned to the fact he is there for the foreseeable future and probably two more years of poor football as the club has no cash to really do what is required to the first team squad (or afford a decent manager) . This summer is going to be a nightmare. 

CL knows all he has to do is keep Hearts in  the top division and he is safe.  Only relegation will get him the bullet and as shit as the current squad is , it ain't bad enough to sink to that level.  

3 hours ago, jambogemz said:

Great post , well said.

35 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I don't know - you tell me what Killie's budget is?

Our budget has been severely constrained by building the new stand and having to temporarily rent Murrayfield, and I guess Cathro got a decent payoff.

We need several decent first team players to make our team competitive as we have no width and no pace and have relied on a couple of 16 year olds because there was no alternative for our midfield.

If you think we can afford to get Clarke you will be seriously disappointed.

Who can we afford?

If we can't afford a decent manager then why not.?

If season ticket sales drop them we'll change manager that's how it works.

You've said we need several 1st team players  and I agree but what gets my goat is that if the director of football had done his job in the first place then we wouldn't need so many players

Anyway it's hibs away image few hours so let's concentrate on beating them

rudi must stay
34 minutes ago, sadj said:

Things are a lot better than people can see but it needs to translate on the pitch. Squad isnt bad and it was more balanced but Demi and Djoum has ballsed that up. Still doesnt mean the ludicrous attitude of some on here is justified. Supposed to support your club. As a Hearts fan or player we should always be confident pre derby. Its maybe more of a stretch this time but we still have a far better record against them even there than they do. Outside of the OF who will have records like that against most if not all teams who else has one. You wont see a OF fan going omg were gonna get pumped because they are going to a team who are having a once in a blue moon purple season 

The Motherwell game had a nothing to play for seasons over anyway feel to it when you watched how most of our team played. Hopefully tomorrow is different. You can't blame the fans, most including me want to see fast paced attacking football, all the players working hard and plenty of chances being created. And that hasn't happened at all under Levein, but I do appreciated he has made us a solid team. But that's the base, you'd think now that's in place he could be more risky

Be patient! 2022 is the year to ‘reap Leveins crop’ that is being sown now!

Let’s all agree Craig Levein is a football genius! For those who only care about short term results keep an open mind until May 2919, by then you will see ‘the crop germinating’!

Then stand back and watch the growth! And feast on the harvest in 2022!!

We’re going to win the league .....

And then (2022) you’ll have to believe us .... the Hearts have won the league!! 

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, sadj said:

Of course things are getting better.  The foundations are in place behind the scenes and  unless you an imbecile or trouble-maker,  on the pitch you can see from our signings since the summer that we are now targeting quality rather than quantity.  

Of course there will be bumps along the way but fortunately we currently have a board who who don't demand a head on a stick with every set back.  We tried that before and it was hardly the most sustainable model we've ever employed.

It says a lot for the people concerned that in the build up to a derby we are seeing multiple posts from largely the same posters peddling the same shite rather than getting behind the club.  Hopefully, they will be scuttling back under their rocks tonight after we hand the vermin their arses on a plate again.

FTH. 

ford donald
5 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

And then (2022) you’ll have to believe us .... the Hearts have won the league!! 

As long as Rangers and Celtic are playing in another league,we can win the league.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, ford donald said:

As long as Rangers and Celtic are playing in another league,we can win the league.

Nah, we just need to get Aberdeen's consistency flavoured with a few 4-0 and 4-1 skelpings to them, then the jobs a good 'un.

7 hours ago, jambocub said:

Who can we afford?

If we can't afford a decent manager then why not.?

If season ticket sales drop them we'll change manager that's how it works.

You've said we need several 1st team players  and I agree but what gets my goat is that if the director of football had done his job in the first place then we wouldn't need so many players

Anyway it's hibs away image few hours so let's concentrate on beating them

At the moment we are dealing with the new stand's expenditure so its soaking up our resources, and that affects the money available for transfers.

People wanting us to sack Levein need to work out what the costs of that would be and where would that leave our budget for the new season.  He isn't just the manager but the Director of Football, so I'd imagine any payoff would be substantial.

As for the players I agree we have been poor at scouting, but who is directly responsible for scouting and what do we have in place?  The DOF obviously has ultimate control, but what kind of scouting network do we have in place?

Sadly our budget dictates we are having to deal at the bottom end of the transfer market and that ultimately means we are taking a lot of gambles on players, many of which have not paid off.

8 hours ago, jambocub said:

What's killies budget?

And what did Clarke do at Reading and WBA, his only 2 managerial posts?  Got sacked. 

Has done well so far at Killie but still early days.

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

At the moment we are dealing with the new stand's expenditure so its soaking up our resources, and that affects the money available for transfers.

People wanting us to sack Levein need to work out what the costs of that would be and where would that leave our budget for the new season.  He isn't just the manager but the Director of Football, so I'd imagine any payoff would be substantial.

As for the players I agree we have been poor at scouting, but who is directly responsible for scouting and what do we have in place?  The DOF obviously has ultimate control, but what kind of scouting network do we have in place?

Sadly our budget dictates we are having to deal at the bottom end of the transfer market and that ultimately means we are taking a lot of gambles on players, many of which have not paid off.

Our budget will be much bigger than killies

18 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And what did Clarke do at Reading and WBA, his only 2 managerial posts?  Got sacked. 

Im sure most of the 

Managers in the top 6 in the SPL have been sacked

Nookie Bear
41 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I doubt the likes of Berra, Lafferty, Adao etc are on small wages, so the money is there to make some decent signings in the summer. It has just been that we have not strengthened in midfield, or we have kept our players on the bench when it matters.

ford donald
41 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

He took west brom to there highest league position,unlucky to lose his job,he has a good reputation in the game.his experience is second to none.

36 minutes ago, ford donald said:

He took west brom to there highest league position,unlucky to lose his job,he has a good reputation in the game.his experience is second to none.

So had Cathro and Cathro had experience on the continent too, as well as assistant at Newcastle.

Don't know how you can use a phrase "second to none" to describe someone who has been sacked twice.  I certainly wouldn't be crowing about a double sacking.

By the way, I'm not saying he is a bad manager.  I'm suggesting it is a little premature to be shouting from the rooftops.

Edited by JamboAl

1 hour ago, jambocub said:

Our budget will be much bigger than killies

With all our expenditure off the field with the new stand and renting of Murrayfield I doubt it.

• cosanostra locked this topic