• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

That's fantastic news!
Here's another exciting headline that doesn't deliver on its promise too!

Christ, is Liam Fox still a thing?

I mind, pre-Brexit, when he travelled to Norway to research how they view/ deal with the EU. He said that the EU was too left-wing. They said, 'no, it's too right-wing'.

Tail between legs.

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, RobboM said:

That's fantastic news!
Here's another exciting headline that doesn't deliver on its promise too!

Fantastic spin 😂 ,massive investment and job creation, none of which is coming to the UK is an "international vote of confidence". 

Meanwhile the UK car industry continues to shrink to the point of extinction. Which is exactly what was  predicted by a brexit loon economics professor who said it was a price worth paying. 

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Huge boost to the economy of 0.08%😀😀

Is this the deal the Express trumpeted was worth £12 trillion, which is four times the value of the entire UK economy? 

periodictabledancer
On 14/07/2023 at 04:52, ri Alban said:

IPlayer still recently had his live gig in Southend up and it's hilarious. Brexit loving Essex gets absolutely shredded. 

CPTPP is a poor man's EU.

It's not just a trading bloc, but also a sovereignty sharing deal (because ALL trade blocs are also sovereignty sharing deals)

I must have missed the referendum on joining this one.

:kirk:

1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

IPlayer still recently had his live gig in Southend up and it's hilarious. Brexit loving Essex gets absolutely shredded. 

👍

Unknown user
4 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Onwards and upwards comrades 

4026CC0F-440E-41D7-8C5F-091F2ED376D0.jpeg

So joining bigger blocs and having to play to their rules is a good idea to be celebrated now?

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Cade said:

It's not just a trading bloc, but also a sovereignty sharing deal (because ALL trade blocs are also sovereignty sharing deals)

Baddenoch proudly and disingenuously telling us how we're joining a trading bloc  of 450 million  - half a world away.

As thought there wasn't an equally sized and richer one that we turned our backs on on our doorstep 

Edited by periodictabledancer

3 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Is this the deal the Express trumpeted was worth £12 trillion, which is four times the value of the entire UK economy? 

image.png

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, RobboM said:

image.png

:laugh2:

Profits halve though?? Poor shareholders, hopefully they'll console themselves with the £700m+ in dividends they received in round 1 this year

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, Cade said:

If you didn't laugh you'd cry .....

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade/U.K.-formally-joins-CPTPP-to-little-fanfare-and-low-expectations

The main obvious beneficiary is Malaysia, which stands to gain tariff-free palm oil exports into the U.K., from up to 12% now, once the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership enters into force.

The agreement is expected to give the U.K. economy a marginal boost of 1.8 billion pounds ($2.36 billion), or 0.08%, over 15 years, based on London's own assessment in April 2021.

"The impact appears mainly cosmetic, for the U.K. to show it made a trade deal after Brexit," said Chris Devonshire-Ellis, chairman of Dezan Shira & Associates, an advisory firm that works with investors across Asia. "No one in Asia is taking the pact very seriously."

The British government, though, is keen to promote the pact, noting that the Asia-Pacific bloc represents half a billion people and accounts for 12% of the global economy. However, the U.K. already has free trade agreements with nine of the 11 member states, many of which were rolled over from when the U.K. was a member of the European Union.

Since the U.K. voted to leave the EU in June 2016, the Conservative government has sought to sign deals with other countries and regions to try to make good the leavers' campaign promise of "Brexit benefits," even though no partnership could realistically make up for the loss of frictionless trade with its nearest neighbor and the world's largest trading bloc.

Similar to above.

Who TF actually buys the Express? At what age does someone suddenly think 'I'm now .... years and an auld fart who hates foreigners but likes Tories. That paper is for me.'?

a159c619b842cda9.png

Unknown user
46 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Similar to above.

Who TF actually buys the Express? At what age does someone suddenly think 'I'm now .... years and an auld fart who hates foreigners but likes Tories. That paper is for me.'?

a159c619b842cda9.png

Buttoned up the back if you buy their shite

41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

0.08% in 10 years. Is that it? Ffs!

Mony a mickle maks a muckle! ;)

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

They must think we're all fools.

11 hours ago, redjambo said:

It's not even a mickle. It's a micro-mickle. Need to update the saying
Hunners of micro-mickles make a mickle, Mony of which maks a muckle :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

:D :thumb:

SectionDJambo
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

They must think we're all fools.

There only have to be enough fools. People will believe what they want to hear.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, RobboM said:

Sorry to burst the micro-bubble but it's actually the potential of a micro-mickle.

the 4% loss of GDP however is very real and is indeed rather muckle. 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Please come back and do all the jobs you used to do before we kicked you out

:rofl:

And then **** off again!

18 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Soft lad peppering threads and getting zero bites :sweeet:

Apart from your one !

i wish jj was my dad
On 16/07/2023 at 15:22, Gundermann said:

Similar to above.

a159c619b842cda9.png

Despicable, lying b'stards. Still they hate the right people though. 

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Despicable, lying b'stards. Still they hate the right people though. 

IMG_9178.jpeg

Unknown user
On 16/07/2023 at 15:22, Gundermann said:

Similar to above.

a159c619b842cda9.png

I think that when many people get really into an ideology, they'll push any old lie that they're asked to. Not because they necessarily believe it, but because their idea of greater good justifies, even necessitates, the lie.

WorldChampions1902
On 16/07/2023 at 06:46, manaliveits105 said:

Onwards and upwards comrades 

4026CC0F-440E-41D7-8C5F-091F2ED376D0.jpeg

I see that New Zealand, a member of the CPTPP you ‘promote’ in your post above , has just joined the Horizon EUROPE science programme. One of the largest in the world, with combined funding of 95 Billion Euros pa. A scheme the U.K. was a member of, until we chose Brexit. 

Presumably you will reflect on the reasons and recognise the irony? Or perhaps not.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

periodictabledancer

When you "take back control" but get a worse deal....

Sporting a fish-patterned tie, Boris Johnson promised a “prodigious” increase in quotas when he outlined the terms of the UK’s exit from the EU on Christmas Eve 2020. But independence has not brought the hoped-for rewards.

“We are at 50% of the quota that we had prior to Brexit, and we are taking longer to catch it,” Sandell says. As a result of the loss of quota and changes in access to Norwegian waters, the Kirkella will only make about six trips this year, and will spend more time in port. It will also have to sail to more distant waters, resulting in higher operating costs.

Under the current agreement, the Kirkella’s quota requires it to fish only in Norway’s remote Svalbard zone, which has separate arrangements from other Norwegian waters.

“Now we have a negligible amount of quota in the Norwegian zone, so all of our fish is in Svalbard,” says Sandell. “Previously, we would have gone to fish in Norwegian waters when the catch was better there, but now we are forced further north, which isn’t ideal, because you’ve got more ice and the weather is worse.”

periodictabledancer

Start the countdown to the 2024 launch of the EU "ETIAS " card (their version of the US ESTA scheme).

And just for added inconvenience (unlike ESTAs) you can't apply for a group version.

Thanks brexit !!!

periodictabledancer
18 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

what's he referring to ? 

Ah, OK, it's that fantastically nonsenical article in the  Times about trying to get EU workers back -  without having freedom of movement. Aye, that'll work - probably in the same way the UK scheme to "solve" the shortage of hgv drivers which resulted in EU carriers getting  a huge advantages here which the EU did NOT reciprocate.

According to the Times :

Thousands of young European waiters, baristas and au pairs could be allowed to come to the UK for two years under plans to plug gaps in the British workforce.

The Home Office has begun discussions with some EU countries after being asked by Downing Street to agree more youth mobility schemes to help improve the economy without raising record levels of net migration.

Suella Braverman, the home secretary, and Robert Jenrick, the immigration minister, have proposed deals to a number of their European counterparts in recent months.

In particular ministers are understood to be looking at France, Germany, Spain and Switzerland (struggling to see aspiring German /Swiss barristas coming here for the minum wage & sky high rents (assuming they can get a place to rent) — which is not in the EU — for deals involving workers aged between 18 and 30. So, blatantly discriminatory - that'll be appealing to the EU : "we don't want E Europeans , otherwise , what was brexit for ?". 

Any agreements would be reciprocal, - the hgv scheme wasn't & isn't. meaning young Britons would find it easier to travel and work in other countries.

The schemes are likely to be tailored to each country - sounds very bureaucratic (how very "EU"). 

and could vary in age criteria, length of stay and the types of roles applicants could undertake. sounds very bureaucratic (how very "EU"). 

ArcticJambo

Insane!  Let the two-bit crappy restaurants/pubs/bistros we all seem to weirdly fawn over in this country sink, is my shout. So many dodgy owners treating their employees like dirt, as they know there will be some other mug to fill in.  Ffffin merry-go-round of crap service and average fare, at higher prices too! :lol:

The Mighty Thor

Shock developments in 'what happens when you leave the club' news....

20230730_082207.thumb.jpg.e869267b5f54fde422c947b17c1d2e8d.jpg

every Briton

And everyone else from a third country. 

They knew what they were voting for

:greggy:

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Shock developments in 'what happens when you leave the club' news....

20230730_082207.thumb.jpg.e869267b5f54fde422c947b17c1d2e8d.jpg

every Briton

And everyone else from a third country. 

They knew what they were voting for

:greggy:

:sergioyay: