Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

redjambo
14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Aw, we toenails sniping from the background again. 

:D What are you all about. My toenails are perfectly normal-sized.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Yes or no? 

As for your post, sums you up. 

Anyway , again. Do you have a British passport,  Irish man? Try not to let your own self importance distract you from the answer. 

Says the British subject.  :biggrin: 

ri Alban

Fingerprints and face scans come into force soon for entering the EU.

On 02/01/2024 at 09:47, ri Alban said:

Fingerprints and face scans come into force soon for entering the EU.

Happens already 

periodictabledancer

This is what happens when you "take back control" and the other side decides to "take back control".

It's worth noting  the chaos that ensued on Kent motorways/roads in general around the Channel ports has long since been ignored by the likes of the BBC* - because this is the new "normal".

* Unless it happens during the English school holidays, in which case blame must be heaped on the French for the UK's self-inflicted brexit  failings. 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/we-re-facing-three-years-of-brock-it-s-going-to-be-grim-299594/

henrysmithsgloves
22 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

What the  Hibs support must see at the start of every season 😄

• 3 weeks later...
Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 28/12/2023 at 14:40, Nucky Thompson said:

I've never had to fly into an EU country on a transatlantic flight, but I can imagine that will be a lot more trickier.

I've only flown into European holiday destinations from the UK and never encountered a queue once.

I guess they are all geared up for British holiday makers at those airports.

Even when I flew into Bergamo airport last year when I was going to Florence, the EU queue was enormous but the non EU one was non existent 

I've queued at Amsterdam, Malaga, Palma, and Krakow, as well as Edinburgh. Every single time.

periodictabledancer
11 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I've queued at Amsterdam, Malaga, Palma, and Krakow, as well as Edinburgh. Every single time.

Brexiters - you always had to queue at immigration. 

Also Brexiters - I never had to queue at Tenerife.

Which is it then ? 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
17 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Brexiters - you always had to queue at immigration. 

Also Brexiters - I never had to queue at Tenerife.

Which is it then ? 

I was standing in a queue with a bunch of Brazilians, at Amsterdam, on my way to Riga. Irish just walked off, the same way we used to be able to do.

manaliveits105
9 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Seems this puts us back to 1972. 

Good we don't have to eat hormone treated beef or pay 245% import tax on our cheese - our farmers are pleased 

manaliveits105

Really guffy 

A farmers’ leader said it was essential that hormone-treated beef was not allowed into Britain.

Minette Batters, the president of the National Farmers’ Union of England and Wales, said the stopping of the trade talks was “a relief for farmers”.

Trade on agricultural products is always the first thing to be discussed and the last thing to be agreed. I am pleased the government has stuck to its line and not given way.”

Batters told the programme: “Canada has used cheese as a sort of negotiating lever. We lost market access at the end of 2023 and then they put it into these enhanced discussions.”

She added: “The prime minister put it in writing last year that he would not be importing hormone-treated beef or chlorine washed chicken.

“Canada has played hardball for a long time. It was always going to come to a crunch point as to who was going to capitulate.”

The Mighty Thor
Just now, manaliveits105 said:

Really guffy 

A farmers’ leader said it was essential that hormone-treated beef was not allowed into Britain.

Minette Batters, the president of the National Farmers’ Union of England and Wales, said the stopping of the trade talks was “a relief for farmers”.

Trade on agricultural products is always the first thing to be discussed and the last thing to be agreed. I am pleased the government has stuck to its line and not given way.”

Batters told the programme: “Canada has used cheese as a sort of negotiating lever. We lost market access at the end of 2023 and then they put it into these enhanced discussions.”

She added: “The prime minister put it in writing last year that he would not be importing hormone-treated beef or chlorine washed chicken.

“Canada has played hardball for a long time. It was always going to come to a crunch point as to who was going to capitulate.”

Really soft lad. 

It's been a shit show for farmers and fishermen from day 1. Something that hasn't happened not happening still leaves the shit show the Tories created. 

There's literally no upside in this. 

manaliveits105
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Really soft lad. 

It's been a shit show for farmers and fishermen from day 1. Something that hasn't happened not happening still leaves the shit show the Tories created. 

There's literally no upside in this. 

You need to let the NFU president know she is wrong then 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

You need to let the NFU president know she is wrong then 

She's relieved that hormone beef isn't coming. It's not here now so the net position is as you were = brexit has been shit for British farmers 

Got that?

28 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Really guffy 

Hormone-treated beef wasn't allowed into the UK.  Why?  Because the European Union prevented it. 

The UK walked out of its trade deal with Canada - the one negotiated by Brussels - when it walked out of the EU. 

The UK got a temporary extension to that trade deal, and that extension has run out. 

So now the UK has a choice.  Let hormone-treated beef in.  Or lose export sales to Canada, and throw British people out of work.

Meanwhile, Canadian hormone-treated beef is still banned from the rest of Europe, and we carry on selling what we were selling to Canada before.

And do you see that last sentence?  

So now we know who capitulated - the UK did.  

No hormone-treated beef is a good thing.

But this only exposes how weak "Global Britain" is.

The EU told Canada "no hormone-treated beef" and Canada said yes that's fine here's a trade deal. Because the EU is big enough and strong enough to dictate terms.

The UK told Canada "no hormone-treated beef" and Canada said stick your trade deal up your arse. Because the UK is too small and too weak to dictate terms.

7 minutes ago, Cade said:

No hormone-treated beef is a good thing.

But this only exposes how weak "Global Britain" is.

The EU told Canada "no hormone-treated beef" and Canada said yes that's fine here's a trade deal. Because the EU is big enough and strong enough to dictate terms.

The UK told Canada "no hormone-treated beef" and Canada said stick your trade deal up your arse. Because the UK is too small and too weak to dictate terms.

In a nutshell. Brexit happened in part because too many folk had (and still have) a completely unrealistic idea of the importance of the UK on a global scale. And that importance will now continue to decline. I'm not sure that there is enough room for the trade deal up our arses given the space our heads are already taking there.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

In a nutshell. Brexit happened in part because too many folk had (and still have) a completely unrealistic idea of the importance of the UK on a global scale. And that importance will now continue to decline. I'm not sure that there is enough room for the trade deal up our arses given the space our heads are already taking there.

Mainly because gullible racists and xenophobes believe everything they're told, as long as it reflects their racist/xenophobic views.

Seymour M Hersh
On 01/01/2024 at 22:15, Ulysses said:

Says the British subject.  :biggrin: 

That maniac doesn't do irony. 

The text of the UK government deal to persuade the DUP back into power-sharing government in NI won't be published until tomorrow.

The DUP say that the requirement for NI to keep itself dynamically aligned with EU regulations - in other words to change its regulations whenever Europe changes its regulations- has been swept away, and that NI will continue to be dynamically aligned with England, Scotland and Wales.

Lisa O'Carroll in the Guardian is reporting that the way this will be achieved is by...

...England, Scotland and Wales dynamically aligning their regulations with the EU.

Apparently, it's a rehash of a proposal made by Theresa May and accepted by Brussels in 2019, and rejected by hardline Brexiteers in the Conservative Party.

Apparently, Sunak will sell this compromise on the basis that it is limited in scope.

"Donaldson said it would end “dynamic alignment” whereby future changes in EU law would have to be observed in Northern Ireland.

Pending the deal’s publication on Wednesday, it appears that Sunak has offered to keep Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) aligned with European standards if the DUP returned to Stormont.

All new laws at Westminster would be checked to ensure they did not compromise unfettered trade with Northern Ireland, meaning no separate rules or labels for goods that remain in the region."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jan/30/uk-northern-ireland-dup-power-sharing-stormont-latest-politics-news-updates?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

(Relevant text update at 14:23 UK, 15:23 CET)

Edited by Ulysses

periodictabledancer
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

The text of the UK government deal to persuade the DUP back into power-sharing government in NI won't be published until tomorrow.

The DUP say that the requirement for NI to keep itself dynamically aligned with EU regulations - in other words to change its regulations whenever Europe changes its regulations- has been swept away, and that NI will continue to be dynamically aligned with England, Scotland and Wales.

Lisa O'Carroll in the Guardian is reporting that the way this will be achieved is by...

...England, Scotland and Wales dynamically aligning their regulations with the EU.

Apparently, it's a rehash of a proposal made by Theresa May and accepted by Brussels in 2019, and rejected by hardline Brexiteers in the Conservative Party.

Apparently, Sunak will sell this compromise on the basis that it is limited in scope.

"Donaldson said it would end “dynamic alignment” whereby future changes in EU law would have to be observed in Northern Ireland.

Pending the deal’s publication on Wednesday, it appears that Sunak has offered to keep Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) aligned with European standards if the DUP returned to Stormont.

All new laws at Westminster would be checked to ensure they did not compromise unfettered trade with Northern Ireland, meaning no separate rules or labels for goods that remain in the region."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jan/30/uk-northern-ireland-dup-power-sharing-stormont-latest-politics-news-updates?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Wait.... so that the bleating DUP can claim a victory and stop NI being the eternal victims here, the WHOLE of the UK will offically align with  the EU quite literally in a way that totally undermines one of the main planks of the brexiters argument for leaving the EU in the first place ie no more Brussels rule.

😂

3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

So literally ZERO sovereignty, rule following with NO contribution to the decision making process within the EU?

^^^^

If Lisa O'Carroll is to be believed. We'll know when the text is published.

Right now, though, Rishi Sunak is happy, as are the DUP, Sinn Féin, the Irish government and the EU Commission.

What's not to like?

periodictabledancer
On 26/01/2024 at 21:19, Ulysses said:

Hormone-treated beef wasn't allowed into the UK.  Why?  Because the European Union prevented it. 

The UK walked out of its trade deal with Canada - the one negotiated by Brussels - when it walked out of the EU. 

The UK got a temporary extension to that trade deal, and that extension has run out. 

So now the UK has a choice.  Let hormone-treated beef in.  Or lose export sales to Canada, and throw British people out of work.

Meanwhile, Canadian hormone-treated beef is still banned from the rest of Europe, and we carry on selling what we were selling to Canada before.

And do you see that last sentence?  

So now we know who capitulated - the UK did.  

Does anyone on here remember the British press laughing at the EU because it took seven years to  reach a trade agreement with Canada ? 

periodictabledancer
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

8e3n5p.jpg.1afa7c175fb3f1d63936e3b2d27dcd99.jpg

I watched him last night but switched off as I struggle to listen to his constant sanctimonious tone - but I'm genuinely laughing at the idea he presented this crock of shit as a win for the poor DUP/NI victims.

It's a pity he won't have to face some of the fiercer elements of the UK media who would tear him to shreds over this. 

The Mighty Thor
52 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Unicorns!!

2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I watched him last night but switched off as I struggle to listen to his constant sanctimonious tone - but I'm genuinely laughing at the idea he presented this crock of shit as a win for the poor DUP/NI victims.

It's a pity he won't have to face some of the fiercer elements of the UK media who would tear him to shreds over this. 

Donaldson's objective was to remove any appearances of gaps in trade or regulation between NI and GB.  He's done that, in fairness, and that is a win.

He seems to have done it by backing the Conservative government into the de facto acceptance of EU regulations in respect of standards, especially for agricultural and industrial products. As a Brexiteer, that probably grinds his gears a bit, but from where he sits it's a small price to pay to uphold what his members see as a much more important principle.

It'll be interesting to see how the Tory hardliners will react.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I can't stand looking at his permanent, pettit lip.

periodictabledancer
25 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Donaldson's objective was to remove any appearances of gaps in trade or regulation between NI and GB.  He's done that, in fairness, and that is a win.

He seems to have done it by backing the Conservative government into the de facto acceptance of EU regulations in respect of standards, especially for agricultural and industrial products. As a Brexiteer, that probably grinds his gears a bit, but from where he sits it's a small price to pay to uphold what his members see as a much more important principle.

Yeah, I completely undestand what he's done. 

The party that forced their precious UK into Brexit would rather now completely betray their brexit "principles" in order to claim they are not being treated differently from the rest of their  union.

And then shamelessly portray it as a great win for the poor down trodden NI , who didn't want brexit in the first place and seem pretty happy wth everything (apart form the DUP's own intransigence). 

Absolue Walter Mitty stuff. 

1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Wait.... so that the bleating DUP can claim a victory and stop NI being the eternal victims here, the WHOLE of the UK will offically align with  the EU quite literally in a way that totally undermines one of the main planks of the brexiters argument for leaving the EU in the first place ie no more Brussels rule.

😂

Shhhhh maybe they'll not notice.....

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Except that those standards will probably lessen our chances of international trade deals where we don't have the might and buying power of the EU to stand solidly behind our standards but at the same time will be unable to compromise them in order that we remain aligned.

Ah, those sunlit uplands. :)

So if this was in the offing and we knew that it meant softening the hard Brexit when it came to EU regulations in order to (yet again) "fix" the NI border issue, thereby preventing the UK from deviating too much from EU standards, this then explains why the Canada deal fell apart.
UK couldn't accept the Canadian hormone beef because that would break the EU regulations that the UK has been forced to maintain.

Turns out it was shite-all to do with the UK standing strong, but all to do with the NI border deal and a softening of Brexit.....

:kirk:

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, Cade said:

So if this was in the offing and we knew that it meant softening the hard Brexit when it came to EU regulations in order to (yet again) "fix" the NI border issue, thereby preventing the UK from deviating too much from EU standards, this then explains why the Canada deal fell apart.
UK couldn't accept the Canadian hormone beef because that would break the EU regulations that the UK has been forced to maintain.

Turns out it was shite-all to do with the UK standing strong, but all to do with the NI border deal and a softening of Brexit.....

When you appearing on Newsnight ? 

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Except that those standards will probably lessen our chances of international trade deals where we don't have the might and buying power of the EU to stand solidly behind our standards but at the same time will be unable to compromise them in order that we remain aligned.

Ah, those sunlit uplands. :)

That's why it probably grinds Donaldson's gears a bit.  But he's achieved his main priority.  That's not bad going for a party with only eight seats negotiating with a government that doesn't rely on its support in the House of Commons.

doddsyJR9

The EU are currently debating Gender Issues, while its once Gold Standard economic success Germany is failing. What's great about the EU?

Mikey1874
18 hours ago, Cade said:

Interesting 

Mikey1874
14 hours ago, doddsyJR9 said:

The EU are currently debating Gender Issues, while its once Gold Standard economic success Germany is failing. What's great about the EU?

Strength and power. Which it uses for example to support Ukraine. But overall its prosperity from free trade. 

The Mighty Thor
19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

There's a magnificent clip kicking about t'internet of Leadsom telling the former head of the WTO Pascal Lamy that he didn't know the WTO rules that Global Britain (Great Nation) was going to deal with the world on under Article 24. 

She displays Dorries levels of stupidity.